PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Xbox Could Be Named Xbox 360?!!

skorp
02-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Possibly someone accidentally spilled the beans... :D

Next Gen Xbox Could Be Named Xbox 360
Friday, February 04 @ 17:10:39 PST

Engadget has just posted an article claiming the new game console from Microsoft could be called the Xbox 360. It sounds like the source is legit, so the cat is out of the bag.

Although Microsoft will not be officially announcing their new game console until E3 along with Sony and Nintendo, someone at the company has let the new name slip out into the press. From what we can tell Engadget has the first scoop too. The name "Xbox 360" doesn't sound half bad and probably has some sort of symbolic meaning, but until we know more this is all speculation.

You can thank Engadget for breaking the story on this one.

Source (http://news.designtechnica.com/article6488.html)

True or not its good enough for me... What do you guys think?... :D

LiquidX
02-04-2005, 08:17 PM
No, just no.

MerimacHamwich
02-04-2005, 08:17 PM
360 degrees encompasses all of the angles, so I think that is supposed to have a reference to the home theater. The Xbox will encorporate all facets of home entertainment, or at least that is what they want you to think. It's not bad. I like Xenon better though.
:D

rpgreligion
02-04-2005, 08:24 PM
I was all for the Y - Box. :(

ShannonX
02-04-2005, 08:34 PM
or it could be, we went around and came back to where we started, we aren't going to improve a thing.

Casper
02-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Someone bought the domain a few days ago, I wonder who leaked it out....

Registrant:
Gaming360 Limited (XBOX360-COM-DOM)
Gaming360 Limited
5 Jupiter House Calleva Park
Reading Berks, RG7 8NN
UK
020 8926 2569
<script>open('http://XBOX360.COM');</script>
adrianjudson@yahoo.com

Domain Name: XBOX360.COM

Administrative Contact:
Adrian Judson adrianjudson@yahoo.com
5 Jupiter House Calleva Park
Reading Berks, RG7 8NN
UK
020 8926 2569

Reclaimer
02-04-2005, 09:59 PM
I really didn't think that Xenon would be the actual launch name. Sounds to much like Intel's Xeon. I don't see why MS would label the future on home entertainment so closely to a current Intel product.
Xbox 360? It makes sense I suppose in that grand scheme of things. A little weird though for the reason that Shannon said.
As for the domain name, could be cyber squaters jumping on the leak despite the authenticity in hopes that MS would have to pay them to sell the domain to them.
It's happened before several times with various big name items. People scour the net for intel and rumors. They buy domain names ahead of time in hopes of making a pay off when the rich owners are forced to buy that domain name back.
It happened most notably when Gallery Furniture here in Houston announced that they intend to pay to have a NCAA Texas bowl game called Galleryfurniture.com bowl.
Some people jumped on it and registered the domain before they could and a legal battle embroiled.

Anyway, who knows? I liked Xbox Next.

Variation-XBA
02-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Don't like it much myself, but who cares in a name? :P
Smart though if you compare it: Xbox 360/ Playstation3. Makes em sound similar

Snowblind
02-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Xbox Next was teh ball-st0mper of a name. But no, they had to go with a name that implies that the next Xbox will spin.:rolleyes:

Variation-XBA
02-04-2005, 10:11 PM
they had to go with a name that implies that the next Xbox will spin.:rolleyes:

Maybe it does. The cintrithical force on the perpetual motion device is what powers the uber power.

Snowblind
02-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Maybe it does. The cintrithical force on the perpetual motion device is what powers the uber power.

I see......it would still only serve for masterbation purposes for me, anyway. :D

I'm just kidding. :whistle:

ShannonX
02-04-2005, 10:15 PM
I really didn't think that Xenon would be the actual launch name. Sounds to much like Intel's Xeon. I don't see why MS would label the future on home entertainment so closely to a current Intel product.
Xbox 360? It makes sense I suppose in that grand scheme of things. A little weird though for the reason that Shannon said.
As for the domain name, could be cyber squaters jumping on the leak despite the authenticity in hopes that MS would have to pay them to sell the domain to them.
It's happened before several times with various big name items. People scour the net for intel and rumors. They buy domain names ahead of time in hopes of making a pay off when the rich owners are forced to buy that domain name back.
It happened most notably when Gallery Furniture here in Houston announced that they intend to pay to have a NCAA Texas bowl game called Galleryfurniture.com bowl.
Some people jumped on it and registered the domain before they could and a legal battle embroiled.

Anyway, who knows? I liked Xbox Next.

buying domain names like that in hopes of getting rich by making legit owners pay for it is called cyber squatting and usually turns up in favor of the real name brand owner and either the person who purchased it to begin with has to just turn over the name for nothing, or they could get sued for any monetary gain they received while owning that domain (revenue generated by a registered trade mark when they didn't own the rights to it.)

i highly doubt microsoft changes the domain name of its official site, it will probably just be xbox.com and have different areas for each console, etc...

SamSmith
02-05-2005, 05:41 AM
i heared this over a year ago, i was surveyed by something to do with MS about choosing a name..... xbox 360 was an option, but XBOX2 was the most popular choice...
they wanted to call it xbox 360 to make it sound superior to PS3, as xbox2 sounds one less than ps3....

Shadow20002
02-05-2005, 09:46 AM
360 degrees.......

CMX Jedi
02-05-2005, 10:25 AM
i still like xbox next, but the name doesent make the system.

Cloud Wolf
02-05-2005, 11:51 AM
it could be true maybe it circle but XBOX OWNS sounds better SJGSRGJTEJRDZTF !!!!!!oeneoneone1111!!!!!!!!!one!!!!!!111!!!!1!!!!!! omg n00bs.

TheWheelMan
02-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I think it should just be XBOX2 so what if its one notch down from ps3 the XBOX2 is ganna be superior and thats all that matters :cheers:

mattgame
02-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I would have named it xboxowns. What do you think?

wbio
02-05-2005, 02:49 PM
If that's gonna be the name, it better be cricular. That would kick ass, and would give the Xbox even more uses as you could take it outside and play frisbee.

Yankeez
02-05-2005, 04:15 PM
If that's gonna be the name, it better be cricular. That would kick ass, and would give the Xbox even more uses as you could take it outside and play frisbee.

yes a 40lb frisbee!! :hump:

necromancer
02-05-2005, 10:57 PM
I liked xboxnext, but what if the ps3 is superior to the second xbox? *snort* heahahaehahehehaehahehaehehahe!

vman
02-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Xenon, Xbox 2, Xbox Next, NextBox, Xbox 360, YBox.... who gives a ****! i just want the damn thing!

thrAsher
02-07-2005, 02:26 PM
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/585/585720p1.html

Xbox 360: Full Circle?
According to a growing number of sources, Microsoft has been at work listening to focus tests on a proper name for the upcoming Xbox. It's a fact that the system's codename is Xenon, as multiple developers have openly corroborated this fact. But that's not the final name, and apparently Microsoft is struggling with just exactly what is the coolest name. The latest candidate, which is one we've heard before and which is possibly the stickiest, is Xbox 360. Xbox 360? Xbox 360. Microsoft executives, for some undetermined reason, are worried about calling the new console "Xbox 2" because the number is 2 is less than PlayStation 3, and also less hip. We'd take Xbox Next over Xbox 360 anyday. Why not call it Mary-Kate and Ashley Box, or Fish Box, or RoxBox, instead? Or....Why not call it something "clever" like Xbox 1080? that would get Nintendo riled up, and maybe some former Nintendo fanboys would consider buying it. Heh. Xbox 2 is sounding better every minute...

I don't know how I feel about the name. I'm more curious about the price and features.

DemonLoki
02-07-2005, 10:22 PM
360 sounds better than xenon... anyone see the disney channel show I think its called Xenon: Girl of the 21st century? (dont if u havent)

Whisper
02-07-2005, 10:27 PM
the Xbox is going to be a giant rolling mass .. 360 degrees all around... a sephere system.. you can roll your xbox to school, work, etc..

SilverOak
02-14-2005, 07:51 PM
www.neXtbox.com

domain name is still available for you entrepeneurs. :)