PDA

View Full Version : Ballmer: Xbox 2 'amazing'!

skorp
02-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Interesting read... ;)

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer today became the latest Microsoft executive to say some vague but intriguing things about company's plans for the next-generation Xbox console. (See this earlier post and the second item in this article.) His comments came in response to questions from the audience during an event for minority high-school students this morning on the company's Redmond campus. Here's what he said in response to the first one:

"When you see the new Xbox, you're going to think it's un -- well, let me say it politely -- unbelievable. Just unbelievable. The graphics, what it can do, the way things look, huge innovation. Rumors are that we'll see that product sometime soon. I couldn't comment, of course, on those rumors. But it's an amazing, amazing innovation."

Later, one of the students asked if the company had a chance for holding up in the long run against the better-established Nintendo and Sony in the video game business. Here's what Ballmer said about that:

"I think we’re going to blow by Sony with our next box. I absolutely think we’re going to kick their backsides, so to speak. I think Xbox 1 has been a fantastic product. We’re not market leaders yet. There’s Sony, there’s us, there’s Nintendo. When we get Xbox 2 in the market, there’s going to be Xbox and the other guys." His voice escalated to a crescendo as the audience laughed and applauded. "I'm feeling a little frisky on this topic right now!" he added.

I went back and listened to my recording a few times, and Ballmer did, in fact, say "next box" at the beginning of that response. Was that merely his own verbal shorthand, or does it give away something about what the company will call the next console? Perhaps the former, since he went on to use the name "Xbox 2."

At any rate, the audience member then followed up with another question, asking what would make the next Xbox stand out over other game systems.

"Why do people buy one game console over another? As we say around here, 'Duh, it's the games.' ... Partly they're great games because they have great graphics, they have great processing, they have great this, they've got great that, but it's about getting great games. So, there's two parts to that: Number one, we have to make sure we have a great environment, software environment for people to write games, games that connect to one another, games that are social, games that are hard-core. We've got to make sure we let people write great games. But then, number two, we, Microsoft, have to write a number of really great games to show it off. What is 'Halo 2?' It's the greatest video game ever written. It shows off Xbox 1, and we’ve got some more games coming that will be the greatest video games ever written, and they’ll show off Xbox 2.' " He concluded, with a grin, "There’s probably a more humble way to say what I just said, but I’m all worked up."

Source (http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/004326.html)

LynxFX
02-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Sounds intriguing and I'm glad he is excited, but all that was just PR fluff.

What is 'Halo 2?' It's the greatest video game ever written.
That seals it right there. Just playing to the crowd. We'll see in a few months if they something concrete to back up those statements.

MXracer721
02-12-2005, 12:29 AM
wow, that is an interesting read. makes me all warm inside wanting the next gen consoles :)

skorp
02-12-2005, 12:31 AM
hehee... Yeah! He got me excited about it... :hump:

Now I can only say...

Okay then... We'll see.. Prove it!... Show us! :p

ummm... please.

Reclaimer
02-12-2005, 03:04 AM
OK... Show me the money!

What games? What's the plan for XBL? Will there be a Halo on launch day?
Sony has made some bold statements, especially in regards to all this blu-ray and cell processing stuff.
Throw me some bones here.

SamSmith
02-12-2005, 04:28 AM
owwww... now you gone and got me excited!!!

m4oH
02-12-2005, 09:38 AM
OK... Show me the money!

What games? What's the plan for XBL? Will there be a Halo on launch day?
Sony has made some bold statements, especially in regards to all this blu-ray and cell processing stuff.
Throw me some bones here.
I want to know all those things too. I got to go to the bathroom......getting too excited.

Duke
02-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Wow, he said it was amazing? I totally thought he was gonna say it sucked.

LTM360
02-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Will there be a Halo on launch day?

Yes. They are releasing a version of Halo 2 on the harddrive of Xbox 2. To do the graphical things, and other stuff they wanted it to do. Basically a "Director's Cut" of sorts.

The has me interested as well, but I kinda don't like him saying Halo 2 is the greatest game ever written, as Lynx said, he's just playing to the crowd. (Halo 2 is so far from the greatest game every written it's rediculous. I don't in the least doubt Microsoft's power to out do Sony in hardware, I just figure they are keeping their mouth shut for now. I wonder if Microsoft releases theirs, and Sony delays theirs to upgrade it to compete with Xbox. That would be a nice punch in the face. But, as we all know, there's now way Sony would do anything to please people. The system will likely be insanely faulty, and not meet the demand that will come with the launch.

AlphaRaptor
02-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Halo 2 is so far from the greatest game every written it's rediculous.
THAT is a matter of oppinion. The students are asking him some questions...he stated his oppinion.

Sammael
02-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Yes I can see Ballmer now getting up there and saying "Halo 2 was the most over-rated game ever written!" (crowd erupts in cheers).

:rolleyes:

mattgame
02-12-2005, 11:54 AM
That was cute but what else is he supposed to say? I need specifics damnit!!

Whisper
02-12-2005, 02:37 PM
sorry, but it sounds like, so far, Sony will hit the market first, and due to 95% of gamers being sheep, they will flock to it and not buy Xbox 2

Cryogenic Pyro
02-12-2005, 10:29 PM
sorry, but it sounds like, so far, Sony will hit the market first, and due to 95% of gamers being sheep, they will flock to it and not buy Xbox 2
I'm psychic. Xbox 2 will make it to the market first, PS3 second, and the N5 last. As for hardware: The PS3 will have the best hardware. There is a cloud blocking my foresight, so I cannot tell if the Xbox 2 or the N5 will have better hardware.

If two or more of my predictions are wrong, I'll resign as a psychic.

lax_defense
02-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Wow, he said it was amazing? I totally thought he was gonna say it sucked.

You stole my post. Now, you must die.

crippledspaz
02-12-2005, 11:33 PM
man, this guy was excited.....sounds like old mate might have had his hand down his pants..... and halo 2 greatest game ever? hot chocky bum licks all round for bungie.... for halo 2 to be recognised as THE greatest game ever then consenses must be that every gamer out there must agree, and from what I've read so far, that aint the case! as usual, over hype bull**** again..... and suckers get sucked in........( add slurp noises here!)

Variation-XBA
02-13-2005, 02:13 AM
and we’ve got some more games coming that will be the greatest video games ever written, and they’ll show off Xbox 2.' " He concluded, with a grin, "There’s probably a more humble way to say what I just said, but I’m all worked up."

Hrm....subtle hint for Halo3 or am I looking too much into it? :P

Reclaimer
02-13-2005, 03:42 AM
Yes. They are releasing a version of Halo 2 on the harddrive of Xbox 2. To do the graphical things, and other stuff they wanted it to do. Basically a "Director's Cut" of sorts.

I was just curious about how you knew this. If it's true.. do I really want a rehashed Halo 2 as a major launch release?

SamSmith
02-13-2005, 03:48 AM
if xb2 isnt backwards compatible and you want to continue halo2 on XBL then you do want a rehashed halo2 on your HD

CRAYMAN
02-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I, for one, will not doubt anything that MS says. They are relatively new to the gaming industry and have turned it on its ear. Everyone is now trying to keep up with MS.

carlbme
02-22-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm one of the ones who are unsure. Sony is looking better and better with their PS3. If the next Xbox is as good as they say it is and will blow the PS3 out of the water then why are they not trying to do so now, before the consoles actually ship?

Seems to me they are playing it up, while trying to catch up in the background.

Variation-XBA
02-22-2005, 08:42 PM
If the next Xbox is as good as they say it is and will blow the PS3 out of the water then why are they not trying to do so now, before the consoles actually ship?

That's what E3 is for, to see who unveils all their secrets and plans.