PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 2's Wireless Secret?!

skorp
02-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Xbox Next controller will be wireless...

17:36 Has tech hound website The Inquirer got a secret line to Uncle Bill or maybe a bug planted in his back pocket? Ah no it's those pesky Xbox partners who've blown the lid again on another Xbox 2 exclusive - or at least that's what The Inquirer is claiming.

This week's revelation? Well it's that Xbox 2, Next, Xenon or 360 (delete as appropriate) will feature controllers which are wireless as standard. Marvellous of course if true and it certainly does make a lot of sense given how annoying and dangerous those longer-than-long Controller S leads usually are.

It is rather too easy to trip over when drunk and take a header straight through the telly at crucial beer refuelling moments. We've lost several widescreen models and not a few brain cells already that way.

Okay so perhaps it's not the all-consuming, earth-shattering revelation you'd expect, but hey it lightens up a rather long Wednesday afternoon in the current graveyard of Xbox 2 news.

Xbox 2 we salute your potential wireless controller future. Hurrah

Source (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=115103)

Yankeez
02-16-2005, 06:23 PM
It would be cool if you could still use Xbox controllers on Xbox 2 :)

Reclaimer
02-16-2005, 07:37 PM

That would be cool too.
I'm just hoping that the next xbox comes intergrated with a 802.11G adapter. That would be cool. Built in wi-fi.

Yankeez
02-16-2005, 07:40 PM
That would be cool too.
I'm just hoping that the next xbox comes intergrated with a 802.11G adapter. That would be cool. Built in wi-fi.

Ya that would be awesome as well, but the issue for MS is how much will it cost them to have something like that in Xbox 2 :(

Reclaimer
02-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Ya that would be awesome as well, but the issue for MS is how much will it cost them to have something like that in Xbox 2 :(

Probably not that much considering MS for a brief time had a line of low cost good working wi-fi solutions for computers and laptops. They stopped making them, but to me the opportunity is there to intergrate it. It's not like it's a new technology or anything. MSI has some new motherboard out, I think it's their Neo series with SLI that has a intergrated wifi-G built in. Wireless productivity is popular. It would be nice to see the next Xbox come with it already installed. Especially if they want the new Xbox to be the center of your home entertainment system like they initially aimed for.

natedog8
02-16-2005, 10:06 PM
I don't see what they mean by tripping over the cords now, cause they have the breakaway part... but wireless controllers is a great idea, and I think the design of the Wavebird for the GC accounts for a small portion over the people who picked GC over ps2/xbox.
way to go ms, hope they can come through with the wireless

Reclaimer
02-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Are there wireless controllers that are worth a crap that have the same feel as standard S-types? It always seemed to me like you would give up something to go to a wireless controller.

vman
02-16-2005, 10:57 PM
doubtful, MS is planning on having Xbox2 fully compatible with PC's (to the best of my knowledge...read it somewhere... it think it was CNN) but yeah, i believe that it might go to some kind of USB port. But at least somthing compatible with PC's. and isnt there going to be a version of Xbox 2 that will also be a fully functional PC? i dont see another way to pull that off. and if it will truly be wireless, than even more doubtful.

I would love to have wireless controllers as standards. SO much easier to bring controllers over to a friends house to get a little LAN action going!!!

Yankeez
02-16-2005, 11:14 PM
doubtful, MS is planning on having Xbox2 fully compatible with PC's (to the best of my knowledge...read it somewhere... it think it was CNN) but yeah, i believe that it might go to some kind of USB port. But at least somthing compatible with PC's. and isnt there going to be a version of Xbox 2 that will also be a fully functional PC? i dont see another way to pull that off. and if it will truly be wireless, than even more doubtful.

I would love to have wireless controllers as standards. SO much easier to bring controllers over to a friends house to get a little LAN action going!!!

well in that case im sure someone will create a usb adapter for the xbox controllers :)

I dont mind the wireless controllers as long as there around the same size as the S controllers

vman
02-16-2005, 11:15 PM
well in that case im sure someone will create a usb adapter for the xbox controllers :)
AH! good point. didnt think about that. kudos, bro!

stormin4
02-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Are there wireless controllers that are worth a crap that have the same feel as standard S-types? It always seemed to me like you would give up something to go to a wireless controller.

I have a wireless controller and I don't use it. I hate it. There is a slight delay in reaction time after you move the sticks or hit the buttons. I also have a wireless linksys game adapter which I don;t use due to the lag I get from it. I love the IDEA of wireless I just haven;t been happy with the performance. They need to come up with a new frequency or something. Everybody and their brother has wireless networks in my neighborhood and it causes so much intereference it just sucks!

Reclaimer
02-17-2005, 12:25 AM
I have a wireless controller and I don't use it. I hate it. There is a slight delay in reaction time after you move the sticks or hit the buttons. I also have a wireless linksys game adapter which I don;t use due to the lag I get from it. I love the IDEA of wireless I just haven;t been happy with the performance. They need to come up with a new frequency or something. Everybody and their brother has wireless networks in my neighborhood and it causes so much intereference it just sucks!

I've had a good experience with a wi-fi Xbox, and just wi-fi networking in general.
My Xbox, my desktop and my laptop are all on wi-fi and I live in an apartment. Yes, there are 7 other networks that I can pickup and they're all unprotected, but mine is protected and all is just fine here. The only problem I had was when I put my desktop on the network. I had to change the network channel to something else because of interference. But since then, all is good. No lag on the anything. I've hosted games on my Xbox and no one has complained of being laggy. Even my keyboard and mouse are wireless.
Later this month, I'm going with that wireless HP printer I've been looking at. I'm going to upgrade my router too. B to G. Everything I have is G compliant, except for the router. My wife jokes about our house of wirelessness. Except they need to make a way to get rid of all the damn other cables my computer uses.
Anyway, I can only hope that the next Xbox will have intergrated wireless ability. That would be an extra benefit.

wbio
02-17-2005, 09:41 AM

I dont mind the wireless controllers as long as there around the same size as the S controllers
Bah, they better make some that are the size and shape of the original controllers too.

lllSmokelll
02-17-2005, 06:30 PM
i want ON/OFF button on my controller for when im too lazy to walk up to my xbox and turn it off

skorp
02-17-2005, 06:53 PM
i want ON/OFF button on my controller for when im too lazy to walk up to my xbox and turn it off

That right there.... Definitely would complete my "controller" expectations...

Hellyah! :cheers:

Variation-XBA
02-17-2005, 08:23 PM
They need to make em like the MX mice, where it just docks in the system and recharges so no batteries are needed.

Rochey69r
02-18-2005, 05:38 PM

wireless sucks. reasons

1. you need batterys in the controller...what if you forget to turn it off..
2. no where near as repsonsive as a controller that has a chord and it never will be.
3. things interfere with the controller. e.g a microwave or mobile/cell phone can interupt the wireless controllers ability.

IMO worst decision ever. the controllers were perfect in the sense that they had trip chords so there was never any damage done to the xbox or te person who walked past em. dumb dumb dumb

SamSmith
02-19-2005, 05:56 AM
i dont want wireless.. more expensive, needs batteries... goes out of range, and they will get lost cause they arent attached to the console!

LiquidX
02-20-2005, 09:55 AM
wireless sucks. reasons

1. you need batterys in the controller...what if you forget to turn it off..
2. no where near as repsonsive as a controller that has a chord and it never will be.
3. things interfere with the controller. e.g a microwave or mobile/cell phone can interupt the wireless controllers ability.

IMO worst decision ever. the controllers were perfect in the sense that they had trip chords so there was never any damage done to the xbox or te person who walked past em. dumb dumb dumb

1. Rechargable batteries would solve this even though basically all wireless controllers have an auto-off feature after some time of non-use. Ive had my Logitech wireless since christmas and am on the same 2 AA's.

2. My Logitech has never had problems with keeping up with the corded controllers. I went to a Halo 1/2 LAN last night and used my wireless controllers. Some of my friends are level 15 and 16 on Live and I had no problems keeping up with them with my wireless controller.

3. Never had interferance. Ive talked on my cell for extended periods of time and never had a problem using my wireless. Theres a cell tower within less that half a mile of my house also.

I think they need to offer an Xbox with a wireless controller and one with a wired controller. There might be someone out there who does have problems with wireless interferance so there should be something to help them out. But when I buy my Xbox 2/Next/360 I will go for the wireless.

John4767
02-20-2005, 10:09 AM
dang that would be kinda cool having Wireless controllers standard!

ll Mista GT ll
02-20-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't give a crap what they put in the Xbox 2, as long as it's lower than 500 dollars. My birfday is in September and I usually get 500 - 600 dollars... I hope it's enough! :mad:

On topic, I think that wireless would be a great idea if:

1. If can do a quick 10-20 minute charge by pluging it into the xbox.

2. If it won't cause interference with all my other wireless shizit.

3. If the "reciever" part of the wireless controller is intergrated into the Xbox. (Not like the DVD kit - you have to plug the black thing into the controller port :rolleyes: )

Just my thoughts :)

SamSmith
02-21-2005, 01:47 AM
I usually get 500 - 600 dollars...:)

damn!! lucky kid! :)