PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Gdc info on xbox 2

RockTheCasba
03-10-2005, 04:03 PM
just follow the links.

xbox 2 info at gdc (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/594/594738p1.html)

Variation-XBA
03-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the good link :)

AlphaRaptor
03-14-2005, 01:28 PM
This has got me excited:

Micro-transactions -- Breaking down barriers of small-ticket online commerce, micro-transactions will allow developers and the gaming community to charge as little as they like for content they create and publish on Marketplace. Imagine players slapping down $.99 to buy a one-of-a-kind, fully tricked-out racing car to be the envy of their buddies.

Im already an experienced mapper (World builder) for several games like Quake 3, Elite Force, BF1942 & DC, and Half Life 2. It would just be to COOL to be able to create Halo 3 maps and release them on Xbox Live. To top it off, it could even bring in a hefty profit, even at only 50 cents per map. If only 10,000 people downloaded it, that would be a profit of $5,000. At 99 cents = ~$10,000 *Faints* Maybe this could pay for college, that be great. :)

Lets just hope Bungie enables the community to make their own maps for Halo 3...

Variation-XBA
03-14-2005, 09:20 PM
The money won't be going to you, it would go to MS :P

skorp
03-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Hopefully soon...

The next-generation Xbox Live system will focus initially on giving publishers and developers the ability to sell items to video gamers. But Microsoft also wants the technology to eventually allow for sales from one game player to another, said Xbox executive Scott Henson, who oversees the Advanced Technology Group for the game business .

"We really are excited, longer term, to build that infrastructure and make it available gamer-to-gamer," Henson said. "We think this is going to be one of those keys that unlocks the potential of the audience, where people can participate in games in brand-new ways."

Source (http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/news/41353.html)

bbchs_trash
03-14-2005, 10:16 PM
If everyone can create maps however... your definately in for a fair share of crap maps too. Don't think that every 12 year old in the world won't be creating maps... If they have a rating system... then that would work... but I'll believe it when I see it.

Microsoft originally told us that with the Xbox Live headset you would be able to program your own voice into the game... that never happened. Always was looking forward to putting my voice in the game so I could hear myself call out the cadence on the snap count... never happened.

Treat these anouncements like you do the Presidents campaign speeches... with a grain of salt. Anything they can say to make it sound good... they will say... but until there is a final product... they can say whatever they please. As long as its a possibility...

vman
03-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Casba, I love you!

Variation-XBA
03-15-2005, 02:15 AM
The "player economy" thing won't happen for QUITE awhile, if it were to even happen.

AlphaRaptor
03-15-2005, 07:14 AM
The money won't be going to you, it would go to MS :P
Not...read it "more" carefully.

If everyone can create maps however... your definately in for a fair share of crap maps too. Don't think that every 12 year old in the world won't be creating maps... If they have a rating system... then that would work... but I'll believe it when I see it.
It really depends on the engine, some engines can take a lot of learning and computer knowledge before you spit out any map, charactor, car or whatever. Even with easier engines to map for, most 12 year-olds will quit before they have made anything worth talking about, much less release. MS knows what they are doing, and im sure they'd have some kind of filtering system.

RockTheCasba
03-23-2005, 08:19 PM
ill be a poor ass college boy when xbox 2 comes out but hopefully i can still pick one up