PDA

View Full Version : A New Era

bbchs_trash
03-10-2005, 10:38 PM
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/594/594856p1.html

After reading the above article, I felt sort of inspired to make a new post.

While I was reading this guys interpretation of the Unreal 3 Engine Demo, I could almost visualize what the next generation of games will look like. Simply amazing. Do you remember the first time you saw the NFL 2k screens? The breath coming from the players mouths, the holes in the jerseys, dirt on the uniforms, and the animations. All of it really brought us the first true football game and it was amazing. Then we got the likes of Madden on PS2 which really blew what 2k had out of the water. Then the graphics came even more for us with Tony Hawk 2x and Halo at the Xbox launch. Now we've come to Ghost Recon 2, Halo 2, and the Splinter Cell series for real eye candy. But just imagine, that five years ago, you were playing in geometric hell on the PlayStation. Your blurry textures on the 64 can make most games unplayable nowadays. But Goldeneye was great when it first came out, groundbreaking, but I can't play a single level of it nowadays.

I think everyone is really underestimating what this next generation of home consoles is going to pack as far as graphics. Everything is being overhauled... we're getting ready for the passing over of virtual reality... and I'm psyched.

skorp
03-11-2005, 05:23 PM
I know what you mean...

I used to dream and talk to my friends about the next-gen graphics coming out now during the 8 bit graphics days... It's exciting as hell!

I've watched the Unreal videos like you mentioned, all the video clips of J Allards whole key address, and all the articles about what’s been going on at GDC with the Next Xbox.

I'm dying for more info, pictures, and videos about everything Xbox. What exactly the system will run, and be capable of doing. Details... Xbox Live looks real solid. But more importantly, I’m anticipating what games are coming out. I want to know which games will be available on launch.

[IMO]. If Xbox/ MS wants to take over the lead in the industry, I think they need to come out with something real big. I believe Live! and where it’s heading is one thing that could do that. Look at PS2, and how they took all the hype away from Sega... I will be the first to admit... I bought the thing because it was cheaper to buy compared to a regular DVD player at the time. It wasn't a really good DVD player, but it also played games too... :D I really believe that’s one major reason that brought people to it.

How can Xbox do the same? Okay lets see here... In my eyes, PS2 rules the RPG's with really good platform games. Don't forget with a long list of games too..

Gamecube is just the opposite of PS2, with strong 1st party platform games, and a good amount of RPG's, but with not as much games.

Xbox in the other hand, totally owns in 1st person games following with Platforms, and RPG's, thanks to developers like Bioware, and such... I would say at least a tie with Nintendo in 1st party games, and where PS2 lacks with just GT4, and SOCOM?.... Anything else?...

Anyway, with all three next-gen systems presumably each having almost close to the same power under the hood. The PS3 is likely on top, with Nintendo, and Xbox sharing similar support. All that’s left is crucial to what each company will provide separately in hardware, and software features. Lastly, the exclusive GAMES! GAMES! GAMES!

So far, I like what MS is doing... Now with Live! evolving, and now MS adding legendary developers to help the great but lacking amount of RPG games, they need to widen the fan base in Asia, and the rest of the world. By just that, the future is really looking bright, and healthy...
:cheers:

I like how MS is balancing out the info and controlling the hype of the whole thing. Just letting the news go public slowly and building on that momentum all the way to.. I hope... This winter.

Hmmm....
[IMO]. Showcase the system, Xbox Live, and a few big name titles on E3. Then maybe after weeks of hype, continue to mention a few more *new* titles (launch or not) until that magical day finally comes. If the PS3/ Revolution does launch early/mid 2006 after a month or two, MS with maybe over 10-50+ games already available, hopefully continues to balance the release of at least 2 anticipating games a month, until they (or at least the PS3) come out. By then, drop the hammer with the release of HALO 3, and maybe a Sakaguchi (RPG) game the same day, or at least, a day or two before. lol ;)

As long as they counter any possible distractions, and continue to build momentum, with consistency, they have a good chance.

Like I said earlier... I can't wait! :p

NephilimTX
03-20-2005, 03:54 AM
Yep, I think that the XB2 comes out in 2006 (early) and they are trying to push it to Xmas 2005, last i heard. ;)

Variation-XBA
03-20-2005, 03:01 PM
I personally think people put way too much emphisis on graphics now adays. People in general would rather have something that is REALLY good looking but less gameplay to it, rather than the other way around, which I personally don't understand.

New console graphics will always make you go "oooo, ahhhh" when you first see their demos, but something to keep in mind, wait till you see IN-GAME actual playing. Any company can make a CG rendering look amazing and trick you to buy their game. Imagine if Katamari had uber amazing CG at the start of the game and everyone thought it looked amazing. Doesn't mean anything till you see IN-GAME and that's why I no longer get hyped for graphics untill I see it played.

WillyV2
03-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I personally think people put way too much emphisis on graphics now adays. People in general would rather have something that is REALLY good looking but less gameplay to it, rather than the other way around, which I personally don't understand.

That's how I feel, I go for the gameplay of the game, and what it offers, not the looks of it

bbchs_trash
03-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Both of you are out of your minds. Tell me you wouldn't take the same gameplay and the prettier graphics over the same gameplay and low-grade graphics. Yeah right. Graphics are a high influence for all of us... you wouldn't have bought an Xbox if graphics weren't important to you...

And btw... I remember reading in multiple magazines now that CG is being done away with... they are looking to put more real time animations into the games now adays... exactly my point to a new era. Wisen up...

LynxFX
03-20-2005, 11:35 PM
The thing is that there is no excuse for poor graphics anymore. This past gen had plenty of power to make decent looking games but there's a lot more that can be done. I don't buy bungie's "we only used 25% of the Xbox's power in Halo1" or whatever number that was. They pretty much hit the ceiling right away. Looked great for what it was.

With the next gen, the bar is being lifted even higher with the potential that the games can aspire to be. The tools are already there to make our mouths drop with everything from the next Halo to Beach Soccer. They all should look great. Developers just have to take the time and effort to put together a good game with a good story and/or gameplay. Coming out with a great game with a good story and gameplay but with crappy graphics will be inexcusable.

Variation-XBA
03-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Tell me you wouldn't take the same gameplay and the prettier graphics over the same gameplay and low-grade graphics. Yeah right. Graphics are a high influence for all of us... you wouldn't have bought an Xbox if graphics weren't important to you...

Im not talking about same game graphics with different gameplay. I'm talking about people generally would rather have more graphics, less gameplay than the other way around as it should be.

I buy the new systems at launch regardless of graphics or power or whatever, so no, that wasn't the reason I bought my Xbox. I'm not saying they arn't important, I'm saying they get too much emphisis than they should

SamSmith
03-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Im not talking about same game graphics with different gameplay. I'm talking about people generally would rather have more graphics, less gameplay than the other way around as it should be.

I buy the new systems at launch regardless of graphics or power or whatever, so no, that wasn't the reason I bought my Xbox. I'm not saying they arn't important, I'm saying they get too much emphisis than they should

i know what you mean, but i want AMAZING graphics, and AMZING gameplay... i dont want less of one than the other, nor do i expect it :)

bbchs_trash
03-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Graphics ultimately open up different gameplay aspects. Graphics play a huge roll in what can be done in terms of gameplay... there are games being done now that people were even thinking about when Asteroids hit pizza parlors and arcades around the country. As graphics get better... so does the gameplay. They tie into eachother... more than you would think. While a game like Wreckless may show the beauty of a system and lack the overall gameplay that keeps you interested... a game like Halo with great graphics and gameplay keeps you going.

And this topic was hardly started to debate over people choosing graphics over gameplay..l. only to put your minds onto what we can expect in terms of graphics. I personally can't wait to see the jump in Sports Franchises which offer up the closest sense of reality... they will make games like Madden '05 and Fight Night Round 2... look like cartoons. The next generation of games will be amazing... and I can't wait.