PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 more powerful than the ps3

X-Fan
05-20-2005, 03:19 PM
http://www.datazap.net/sites/dirtcheapdvds4u/consolecompare.jpg

Now that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 specifications have been announced, it is possible to do a real world performance comparison of the two systems.

There are three critical performance aspects of a console:

Central Processing Unit (CPU) performance.
- The Xbox 360 CPU architecture has three times the general purpose processing power of the Cell.

Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) performance
- The Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power than the PS3 GPU.

Memory System Bandwidth
- The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3’s by five times.

The Bottom Line

When you break down the numbers, Xbox 360 has provably more performance than PS3. Keep in mind that Sony has a track record of over promising and under delivering on technical performance. The truth is that both systems pack a lot of power for high definition games and entertainment.

However, hardware performance, while important, is only a third of the puzzle. Xbox 360 is a fusion of hardware, software and services. Without the software and services to power it, even the most powerful hardware becomes inconsequential. Xbox 360 games—by leveraging cutting-edge hardware, software, and services—will outperform the PlayStation 3.

-Team Xbox

Spaztic
05-20-2005, 03:41 PM
This should have gone under the xbox360 vs ps3 thread.

LiquidX
05-20-2005, 03:49 PM
With MS's deep pockets there should have been no doubt they would do everything to stay the graphics king. I said it when it was first announced, the Cell processor is hype just like the Emotion engine.

l Maximus l
05-20-2005, 03:52 PM
The only problem is that 3rd party developers are going to port games and will look identical on both systems. But, the good thing is that is only 3rd party developers. Exclusive or First Party should be better.

RockTheCasba
05-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Im hoping that the xbox 360 dominates the ps3 because maybe that will switch over some ps2 owners to buy the 360.

skorp
05-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Here is the source of the complete comparative analysis from Microsoft about this issue at IGN ( http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html).

Now I want to see how Sony responds. So we can get a better idea on what could be true or not.

mattgame
05-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Woot woot!

ALC
05-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Where could one find an up-to-date "fact sheet" with all aspects of the two consoles side-by-side for comparison? I bet IGN has/will do something like that.. they love comparing stuff :p

AlphaRaptor
05-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Holy....wow go MS, PS3 almost had me sold over the past few days, but so far its all Sony overhyping! The tricky thing about all this, is the fact that you CAN'T do a side by side compairison of the two. If you did, PS3 looks more powerful, THAT is what Sony is trying to do here, LOOK better to average consumer. But in fact, the more powerful of the two is the Xbox 360! Read the article, break out the calculator for youself, do the math, and the 360 comes out on top! LoL this is tooo funny....Sony as the ultimate hype machine is an understatement. :rofl:

Edit: Spread this article to PS2/3 forums everywhere!

TOTTEN
05-21-2005, 04:16 PM
yay Xbox 360 will be the most powerful console.
:hump:

Shadow20002
05-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Still have to wait at the launch for final stats.

Scorpion X
05-22-2005, 10:54 AM
That's what I like to see let the xbox 360 come out on top as it did with this generation :)

blonks
05-22-2005, 12:37 PM
but then again.. this is coming from teamxbox... a fanboy site... they would take say anything just to make it sound better

its still up in the air

Nurb
05-22-2005, 12:41 PM
if it is better, they'll still have to get developer preference, even in the years following xbox's release, and Gamecube for that matter, devs still went with the ps2 dev kit for multi-platform games. The system with the weakest hardware was still the standard, and all that 360 hardware is going to go to waste if we still get PS3 ports

JADE8704
05-22-2005, 06:21 PM
but then again.. this is coming from teamxbox... a fanboy site... they would take say anything just to make it sound better

its still up in the air

dude...your avatar scares the **** out of me :(

X-Fan
05-22-2005, 06:24 PM
if it is better, they'll still have to get developer preference, even in the years following xbox's release, and Gamecube for that matter, devs still went with the ps2 dev kit for multi-platform games. The system with the weakest hardware was still the standard, and all that 360 hardware is going to go to waste if we still get PS3 ports

This is precisely where my point comes in. Ps2 had an advantage because of its early launch but this time the same MASSIVE advantage will be on the 360's side. I seriously believe that 360 will be the market leader, hands down UNLESS MS screws up royally.

mattgame
05-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Nah. too many ps2 fanboys. PS3 would have to be a complete disaster.

AlphaRaptor
05-22-2005, 09:28 PM

its still up in the air
Well yea...but it was written by them

Variation-XBA
05-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Specs don't mean a thing unless they make use of them. Look at the Killzone2 trailer *goosh*

Razor70
05-24-2005, 12:20 PM
I think the biggest difference in the two systems, especially coming out of E3, was that we don't know really how much the companies held back on what the graphics could do on each system. I think Sony came out guns out and blazing and made sure that the games they showed were running at pretty high settings, where as Microsoft who has always been a very careful company about what they will release, held back a little bit to make use of surprise when the system comes out. It was stated that the Xbox 360 was only running the games at 1/3 the power of the system and that was right from the Microsoft guys. Never did hear about what the PS3 was actually running at and some of the stuff like the Killzone 2 demo you have to remember was on a large screen and so it could of been a little bit embelished to try to make it look better than what it is running at right now. I will wait to see what happens when both systems come out and I think most of the magazines and online sites will do the same.

AlphaRaptor
05-24-2005, 01:06 PM
The Killzone trailer wasn't real time, only the tech demo's were real-time. EA's games were supposed to be real time too.

To me, Sony rushed the devs to build some renders to "wow" the world. If the Killzone trailer was real time, they would have said so at the conference.

TRSundown
05-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Memory System Bandwidth
- The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3’s by five times.

I dont really have time to get into most of what you posted but this comment is actually backwards...

The Memory Bus for the PS3 runs at the same clock speed as the PS3 processor (2.7GHz or so)
The Memory Bus for the XB360 runs at 700MHz

Based on these stats alone the PS3 can access its memory (RAM) 5 times for every 1 time the XB360 can.

The actual amount of memory is not as significant as the speed of the memory.

TheCovenant
05-26-2005, 04:15 PM
I dont really have time to get into most of what you posted but this comment is actually backwards...

The Memory Bus for the PS3 runs at the same clock speed as the PS3 processor (2.7GHz or so)
The Memory Bus for the XB360 runs at 700MHz

Based on these stats alone the PS3 can access its memory (RAM) 5 times for every 1 time the XB360 can.

The actual amount of memory is not as significant as the speed of the memory.

you have to be wrong, the original xbox ran at 700mhz. i have the stats right here in my new egm...which is in the living room and im too lazy to get. TRS i owe you some scans....;)

TRSundown
05-27-2005, 02:32 PM
XB360 Memory: - 512 MB of 700 MHz GDDR3 RAM - Directly from XBox.com
PS3 Memory: - 256MB XDR Main RAM @ 3.2GHz - Directly from http://www.webnweb.com/vgames/html/playstation_3_specs.html

Plus the PS3 has - 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @ 700MHz as well.

Im not talking about system processor speed... I am talking about memory speed.

Plus the systems are engineered completely different... While Microsoft needs a 256GB p/s bus to its EDRam the PS3 doesnt even have EDRam... it uses a different interface which only needs 22.4GB p/s bus.

Its like comparing a ALPHA or MAC to a PC... the hardware is completely different.

Whats really going to show is when they come out with official benchmarks.

I think they are both going to be great systems and I think that most Sony fans will wait for their system. I have both a PS2 and an XBox and love them both. They are equal in my eyes.

ColdArmoR
05-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I really think there might be some disapointment when Killzone 2 comes out. :) :)

TheCovenant
05-27-2005, 10:23 PM
XB360 Memory: - 512 MB of 700 MHz GDDR3 RAM - Directly from XBox.com
PS3 Memory: - 256MB XDR Main RAM @ 3.2GHz - Directly from http://www.webnweb.com/vgames/html/playstation_3_specs.html

Plus the PS3 has - 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @ 700MHz as well.

Im not talking about system processor speed... I am talking about memory speed.

Plus the systems are engineered completely different... While Microsoft needs a 256GB p/s bus to its EDRam the PS3 doesnt even have EDRam... it uses a different interface which only needs 22.4GB p/s bus.

Its like comparing a ALPHA or MAC to a PC... the hardware is completely different.

Whats really going to show is when they come out with official benchmarks.

I think they are both going to be great systems and I think that most Sony fans will wait for their system. I have both a PS2 and an XBox and love them both. They are equal in my eyes.

whoops, i was referring to the wrong kind of memory. As you mentioned, the system are almost opposite. They decided different things are what make games, and focused in adding super power to those areas. I think the graphical climax of both systems will be so close, the extra 1 year of next gen games that we get to play while the ps3 is readying for launch will be worth it. The graphics gap wont be as far as xbox1 ps2.