PDA

View Full Version : Will the XBOX 360 have a dial-up conection for us guys in the country?

Hangnail
06-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I've seen them talk about how everybody will be able to play XBOX live with the 360 and it will have free weekends, so does that mean that it will be able to connect to dial-up for us guys living with out cable? If not, please tell me that there is another way for us to connect because it sucks not having XBOX live! :cuss:

LiquidX
06-04-2005, 04:53 PM
I doubt it. It would create too much lag, which, isn't fun for anyone playing. Even Sony has pretty much abandoned 56K for online play on their games. I know your pain though. I live on the edge of my town and the only broadband available is cable for $45 a month... can't even get DSL

m4oH
06-04-2005, 05:08 PM
I doubt it. It would create too much lag, which, isn't fun for anyone playing. Even Sony has pretty much abandoned 56K for online play on their games. I know your pain though. I live on the edge of my town and the only broadband available is cable for $45 a month... can't even get DSL
^^Exactly what he said. I live out there so I can only get cable for like 50 or so a month. And I doubt they'll ever let 56K online because of all of the lag it would create. ^^ like he said.

Hangnail
06-04-2005, 05:19 PM
I definetly know what you guys are talking about with the 56k lag. If that was all I could get, I would definetly not pay to use it... Well all is far in love and war.

mattgame
06-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Is there any other options for you?

TheCovenant
06-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Well all is far in love and war.

i dont know if you meant to say that but you came off clever.

Dj Logical 1
06-04-2005, 05:26 PM
if to much lag is already created.. there is no way that they will allow 56k. sorry to tell you...well i see that you guys say that u pay 50 for broadband that sucks. In chicago we pay 20 a month for dsl...

LiquidX
06-04-2005, 05:48 PM
well i see that you guys say that u pay 50 for broadband that sucks. In chicago we pay 20 a month for dsl...

DSL is like 27 a month here, but I live to far from the station or whatever to get it. It's only by a couple hundred feet, but after that few hundred feet the connection isn't really worth paying for.

Hangnail
06-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Well, unless Microsoft can come up with something easy, effective, and cheap, we dial-up users are just out of luck... :cry:

But I will be at college in a few years, if all goes well..., and will be able to get the hardware I need to make it happen. :cheers:

CrazyLad
06-04-2005, 10:57 PM
I hope not....

Dj Logical 1
06-04-2005, 11:18 PM
well what can microsoft do.. i mean think about it.. allows 56k creates much more lag, they lose some customers on live because they dont want to play anymore... but either way they are losing customers...

OC Noob
06-05-2005, 02:05 AM
So is there any kind of satelite alternative for you in the boonies?

I've heard that power lines being used for something thats like ISDL (right acronym?) for speed for those in the country, but I'm not sure if anything ever came of it.

Anyone know of alternatives for people not in the city?

TheCovenant
06-05-2005, 02:41 AM
i think its asdsl, which is what i have.

ColdArmoR
06-05-2005, 07:00 AM
ADSL is regualar DSL.

IDSL is an alternative DSL which has speeds of around 150k down/120k up
It works excellent for Live, I have had a firsthand expierence with this beacause I use something very closely related to it.

DO NOT get satelite. It will be the biggest waste of money you'll ever see when you find out your ping will NEVER go under 700ms.

Hangnail
06-05-2005, 12:26 PM
My neighbors have a DSL hookup but it costs them like 50 bucks a month...but don't have an XBOX. Talk about not getting your moneys worth. :rofl:

Variation-XBA
06-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Hope not, cause dialup'ers will just make others lag.

Hangnail
06-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Have some simpathy. It would probably show which users were using dial-up and which were using DSL... So you could enjoy your game while we just lag on an on into a oblivion of frozen XBOXs...

Plewis
06-05-2005, 10:03 PM
yeah but then dialupers will join games full of broadband users and bang, we all lag like crazy.

Hangnail
06-05-2005, 10:05 PM
U should be able to block us... man do i sound stupid... "block us" :rofl:

mrmp3
06-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Like an option to ban dial-up users? Everyone would have that checked and you wouldn't get in any games. So you'd have to play on 56k server. How worthless would that be?

And yea satellite is an option, but like someone said, $70-$80 for REALLY weak internet speed isn't worth it. But when you get to a college campus, yea you'll be set. Problem is, chances are you'll be busy most of the time with work. I sympathize man, I was in that situation for soooo long. Only switched about a year and a half ago.

JediMasterChief
06-08-2005, 10:41 AM
A good idea would be to make users with connections slower than Cable/DSL to be able to connect online with the X360, but not to play games (at least you can chat and download stuff).

neXus27
06-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I get a very fast broadband for free. Marion, Indiana is testing wireless broadband in the city. It has the speed of a very fast cable modem, so yeah. It's free. All you have to pay for is a wireless router.... $80 tops.

Hangnail
06-11-2005, 02:54 PM
I would be happy to at least be able to download the stuff to get my moneys worth out my games, like new levels. That shouldn't cause any lag for cable users, and we dail up users would be happy.

TheCovenant
06-11-2005, 05:08 PM
actually hangnail might be on to somehting. Servers dedicated to 56kers, and others to regular live. If it was microsoft goal to get everyone on line id bet this would be part of their startegy, but unfortunatly their goal is to get everyone on broadband, not the internet.

:(

Hangnail you might be out of luck. Either you get a job and start payingg them 50 bux a month, or form a committee with your neighborhood to get a t2 or somehting (thats what they did around my town) or you can save up enough to get a connection in your street, that way you'd pay what everyone pays, just with a hefty downpayment. Either way, they way you are now, you aint goin on live from your house :(

mattgame
06-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Damne Covey, could you have been a little more gentle? J/K

Do something man, try to make it happen. Good luck.

Hangnail
06-16-2005, 10:48 PM
There would be only one person to say they would co-pay, but his parents would not let him. As a matter in fact, he dosen't even have dial-up...

But then there is the other person with cable, I wonder if they would let me run a wire...

But since I have been missin out, I don't know how much XBOX live itself is!