PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War

Anthony4sho
06-06-2005, 10:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/TaiwanGroove/GearsofWarAwesomePic.jpg

This is the one game that has caught my eye. Cam anybody gimme some more info on it?

Shadow20002
06-06-2005, 10:20 PM
I must say the graphics are far better than Doom 3.

TheCovenant
06-07-2005, 01:42 AM
FAR better. There was a leak of gameplay footage on the internet a couple days after e3, i dont know if its available anymore. Go to ign, xbox 360, previews, and look up gears of war. You'll get all the info you need there, plus a neat trailer ;)

EDIT: new wallpaper :cool:

AlphaRaptor
06-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Jeez, thats an amazing screen, the amount of detail is jaw flooring. Just think of how that looks in motion in high def......

PerfectDark0Fan
06-07-2005, 05:24 PM
According to Gamespot GOW will release in 2006. I think Microsoft chose a later release date because of Perfect Dark Zero being the launch title. I like this screensot of GOF http://www.gamespot.com/x360/action/gearsofwar/screens.html?page=4

MasterThief
06-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Gears of War was the best looking actual real-time game I saw from E3. Why is it doing to be like Kill.Switch with the hiding behind walls gameplay, I don't really like that. As for Perfect Dark it sort of looks like Half Life 2 with furniture polish to add a little extra shine to it.

skorp
06-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Gears of War was the best looking actual real-time game I saw from E3. Why is it doing to be like Kill.Switch with the hiding behind walls gameplay, I don't really like that. As for Perfect Dark it sort of looks like Half Life 2 with furniture polish to add a little extra shine to it.

Actual real-time gameplay is right! ;)

I think the Kill.Switch gameplay could be useful when going against the bigger enemies. :D

For those who don't know what we are talking about. Check out the vid HERE! (http://filerush.linkmania.ro/gearsofwar.wmv)

It's fairly old, but for me, I can't get enough of it.

OC Noob
06-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Thats what I mean when I tell people who think the 360 isn't much better than the original Xbox that they will see ti once its in their hands.

That is amazing and it only gets better from here. Look at the detail in the models and environments. Thats easily better than the Killzone movie (ommiting the animations in the CGs).

Nice video Skorp, it may not be high quality, but you can tell how good this thing is going to look once we see it in person.

WOW

skorp
06-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Nice video Skorp, it may not be high quality, but you can tell how good this thing is going to look once we see it in person.

WOW

Hellyah OC! Just can't wait... Hope it has an excellent story and gameplay.

So far, so good... :cheers:

FragMaster B
06-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I know the actual story is being done the same guy that wrote the two best Halo novels: Eric Nyland. That's got me all jazzed. Those novels were just some awesome story-telling. If he can bring the same thing to this game, on top of the graphics and gameplay, we should be in for a REAL treat.

TheCovenant
06-09-2005, 04:46 PM
I know the actual story is being done the same guy that wrote the two best Halo novels: Eric Nyland. That's got me all jazzed. Those novels were just some awesome story-telling. If he can bring the same thing to this game, on top of the graphics and gameplay, we should be in for a REAL treat.

i heard about that too, on g4. Thats awsome. Plus, already its taken a lot of little "tidbits" from the movie "Pitch Black". which is also cool. The mythology in that movie was great. :cheers:

mattgame
06-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Is that level of detail really possible? I mean that monster just looks plain incredible.

FB-Gollum
06-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Ok..Story by the guy who does Halo, Graphics that I have to assume are a render because if it looks like that in game I may actually get scared, Online multiplayer...Geez, Gears of War could be another big franchise. Please for the love of god tell me this game has split screen co-op.

FragMaster B
06-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Ok..Story by the guy who does Halo, Graphics that I have to assume are a render because if it looks like that in game I may actually get scared, Online multiplayer...Geez, Gears of War could be another big franchise. Please for the love of god tell me this game has split screen co-op.

I think I heard it is supposed to have LIVE co-op. Haven't heard anything about split screen.

ShaDovV RyDer
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Man I wish this game was going to be a launch title but I guess we shouldn't push something that has potential to be one of the greatest games of all time. The screens and videos of this game are so awesome. I know this game is going to have XBL co-op but no sure about split screen. Does anyone know if it is going to have stuff like deathmatch online or have they not announced anything like that??? Since its coming from Epic Games I would assume they would bring us something new and fun as they have with the Unreal series.

AlphaRaptor
06-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Why not have split screen? I don't see anything that will stop them...the 360 could easily handle it.

Anthony4sho
06-12-2005, 01:41 AM
The only thing I am worried about is it's in 3rd person. 3rd person shooters usually don't do too well, so I am hoping this doesn't become another Brute Force.

SamSmith
06-12-2005, 04:12 AM
The only thing I am worried about is it's in 3rd person. 3rd person shooters usually don't do too well, so I am hoping this doesn't become another Brute Force.

3rd person? i thought it was going to be 1st person... ghost recon2 was kind of a mix between 1st and 3rd... that did well enough

OC Noob
06-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Is that level of detail really possible? I mean that monster just looks plain incredible.

I think it is because if you compare some of the things they can do with a PC that is much less powerful than the 360 you'd have to consider the possibility.

Hers some linkage:

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

Screenies and engine info.

http://www.fileplanet.com/140731/download/Unreal-E3-2004-Engine-Demonstration

Sorry, its the only place I could find a decent copy of the video.

Anyone read about Bioware licencining this engine for one of their next IP's? That should be a killer game.

Its a 165 mb file that I can give to someone else if they would like to host.

In the vid it shows that model and its got an extremely low poly count for its detail. This level of detail should be highly achieveable (sp?). Very cool technologies in this engine and lots of devs are usning it already to develope for the next gen systems and PC.

Double_Diablo
06-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Wow. Gears of War looks incredible. The Unreal engine is kick ass.

mattgame
06-12-2005, 03:27 PM
I think it is because if you compare some of the things they can do with a PC that is much less powerful than the 360 you'd have to consider the possibility.

Hers some linkage:

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

Screenies and engine info.

http://www.fileplanet.com/140731/download/Unreal-E3-2004-Engine-Demonstration

Sorry, its the only place I could find a decent copy of the video.

Anyone read about Bioware licencining this engine for one of their next IP's? That should be a killer game.

Its a 165 mb file that I can give to someone else if they would like to host.

In the vid it shows that model and its got an extremely low poly count for its detail. This level of detail should be highly achieveable (sp?). Very cool technologies in this engine and lots of devs are usning it already to develope for the next gen systems and PC.

Is anyone else afraid? I may never leave the house after this hits the market.

OC Noob
06-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Is anyone else afraid? I may never leave the house after this hits the market.

Amen, brother!

That video is amazing. If people haven't seen it the monster model in the screen shot is 8 million polys reduced to 8500 polys using normal mapping. To put this into perspective, the highly detailed environment show early in the vid is 200 million polys reduced to 1 million. Hence, the monster model has more detail than total environments in Xbox games. Its insane what Epic has done.

Not that they are the only ones to be doing this kind of thing or that they pioneered it, but they've done it the best so far.

mattgame
06-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Yikes!! That's insane! I can't wait man!

Marc_01
06-13-2005, 07:52 AM
The game looks great and all.. But I hope the collision technology has come along as well as the visuals.. That screenshot is insane, but I could imagine that monster running into that little brush tree and every branch go threw his body..

I think its about time for more dynamic enviroments: Branches Break, trees break, dirt moves, EVERYTHING is moveable etc.. in the next gen console games. I'm hoping in a scene, that monster comes out kicking up dirt and bust threw that tree leaving branches and leaves flying.

mattgame
06-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Excellent point. That would be major as far as breakthroughs in gaming.

ColdArmoR
06-13-2005, 09:27 AM
This game is looks great I cannot wait to play it..

TheCovenant
06-13-2005, 01:02 PM
i agree with marc_01. animation has to be smoother, and thats all in the nads of the animators and artists. good graphics are great, but artistic direction is what they have to accomplish. Look at games like ninja gaiden. good god is that game smooth. Even when you look at halo, its clunky and awkward compared to gaiden.

Clavicus Vile
06-13-2005, 06:17 PM
This game is shaping up to be a killer app.

OC Noob
06-14-2005, 12:54 AM
The game looks great and all.. But I hope the collision technology has come along as well as the visuals.. That screenshot is insane, but I could imagine that monster running into that little brush tree and every branch go threw his body..

I think its about time for more dynamic enviroments: Branches Break, trees break, dirt moves, EVERYTHING is moveable etc.. in the next gen console games. I'm hoping in a scene, that monster comes out kicking up dirt and bust threw that tree leaving branches and leaves flying.

Oh yeah!

Its got to be one of the things that improve along with game physics in this next generation. People focus so much on gfx, but its people who think like you that will make this next gen and its abundance of power revolutionary... not some external DVD drive looking thing that you can download old Nintendo games on, lol.

Its a shame that not everything you suggest will be possible, probably not, but there are a lot of things that should be possible like making large objects such as trees destructable. Although, it doesn't look like there's going to be much for trees in this game (a few from screenies), but it mostly looks like an urban setting that will hopefully have lots of destructable buildings and stuff :drool:

But yeah, I think your dead on when it comes to the kinds of things we should expect from these tri-core 6 threaded beasts.

Marc_01
06-15-2005, 08:01 AM
I sure hope so. From some of the talks i've heard, some developers will dedicate one of the cores for physics, one for textures/graphics etc.. So hopefully we will actually see more real world physic engines.

My big thing with games are enviroment reactions. That's why I really like the splinter cell series. You interact alot with the enviroment and the enviroment with you. I don't think we will be disapointed, but I don't want the same old games with better textures and HD, I want to see a better game.

mattgame
06-17-2005, 09:25 PM
It should all be possible. It better be possible. If they want us to shell out dollars then I don't see how they could make anything less than astounding gameplay and all.

floopypoop
06-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Do you know where to get any other images othere than GI, GS, or IGN, unreal engine and file planet? :hail:

OC Noob
06-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Do you know where to get any other images othere than GI, GS, or IGN, unreal engine and file planet? :hail:

I've got a video clip (about 135 mb) that is awsome, but I can't host it. If someone can host it, its better than the Killzone 2 video.

Is a demo that Epic did of the Unreal Engine 3.

Let me know if ayone can host it.

TheCovenant
06-27-2005, 05:07 PM
I've got a video clip (about 135 mb) that is awsome, but I can't host it. If someone can host it, its better than the Killzone 2 video.

Is a demo that Epic did of the Unreal Engine 3.

Let me know if ayone can host it.

oh i saw that! it was impressive...a year ago :watchout:

plus, you can still get it, just google it.

floopypoop
06-27-2005, 05:15 PM
oh i saw that! it was impressive...a year ago :watchout:

plus, you can still get it, just google it.

:surprised I forgot about search engines. I try that, thanks. :cheers:

Drumline Joe
06-30-2005, 02:45 PM

Judging by all of the screenshots supplied and all of the videos, this game looks to be a third person tactial. I have yet to see one shot in a first person view, but I have seen many from the third person view. Since most of the videos look like in game footage this will probably turn out to be a third person shooter.

Now a question for everybody, what do you want GOW to turn out to be?

First person shooter or Third Person Shooter?

I personally want it to be a First person as well. I played through Brute Force and I did think it was fun but it probably would have been more fun to see the whole screen with gun in hand. It didn't help they didn't have an online multiplayer function; that shouldn't be a problem for GOW though.

TheCovenant
06-30-2005, 02:52 PM
its a third person tactical squad based shooter, thats aleady been confirmed.

TokyoPie
07-01-2005, 12:12 AM
That movie was freaking amazing. I can't wait thill this game comes out going to be awesome. :hump:

ShaDovV RyDer
07-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Judging by all of the screenshots supplied and all of the videos, this game looks to be a third person tactial. I have yet to see one shot in a first person view, but I have seen many from the third person view. Since most of the videos look like in game footage this will probably turn out to be a third person shooter.

Now a question for everybody, what do you want GOW to turn out to be?

First person shooter or Third Person Shooter?

I personally want it to be a First person as well. I played through Brute Force and I did think it was fun but it probably would have been more fun to see the whole screen with gun in hand. It didn't help they didn't have an online multiplayer function; that shouldn't be a problem for GOW though.

I want it to be a Third-person game because I really like GR2 and if it controls anything like that it's going to be sweet. Plus it's like Covey said it's already been confirmed so I guess my wish has been granted. :)

EDIT: Almost forgot to tell you guys that right now I think there are too many FPS's out there so that's another reason it needs to be a third-personer.

Hangnail
07-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Lookin good my friends, very good.

J4320
07-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Yeah this game looks like one to pick up when it comes out.

TheCovenant
07-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Why Is There So Many Responses To This Thread!?!? Its One Friggen Picture!!!

Nurb
07-05-2005, 02:28 PM
given that halo2's E3 game footage was on a computer, and the degridation of its graphics when it was actually on the xbox, it's be a good idea not to let the hype screw with your minds :D its hard for me, thats for sure... the resolution looks super-high