PDA

View Full Version : How many years will have to pass for the developers to push XBox 360 to its limits?

Acid Chameleon
06-08-2005, 11:16 AM
XBox 360 to its limits

TheCovenant
06-08-2005, 12:38 PM
I'd say two, and thats for developers who are starting to work right now on something released 2 and a half years from now.

skorp
06-08-2005, 07:44 PM
I just say a year... A year of working with the dev kits should be able to make each developer realize how much power they can play around with. Well, at least I hope so.

There are always going to be some (Developers) who either can't because lack of talent and others who probably won't because of lack of resources financially.... and others for whatever reason just suck. They each have their strong points and weaker points. Some will be successful either way. Just like games with awesome graphics like Final Fantasy or GTA in gameplay alone.[IMO] But not everyone is a Valve, Bungie, Ubisoft, or Epic.....

Shadow20002
06-08-2005, 11:53 PM
At least one year.....

Plewis
06-09-2005, 12:18 AM
I dunno, I think launch games can push the system to its limits powerwise, but later games will find better uses of the resources so that they can accomplish more in pushing the system. Halo CE pushed the xbox in the Maw sometimes it would get choppy and stuff, but Halo 2 did a lot more while pushing the system to its limits.

Salmonaitor
06-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Some may argue that the Xbox was not pushed to its limits. I really don't know enough about graphics or console specs to comment on a lot; I just hope that as much effort is put into creativity and storyline in future games as they put into graphics. Even the beautiful looking came can suck rocks.

Ninjermy
06-09-2005, 08:48 AM
They can push graphics all they want, but a game is nothing without storyline, features, characters, music etc.
So really, as long as the games are all noticably better then Xbox and still fun, I don't care how they look (just as long as there is improvement).

StudioAlex
06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
It's hard to say. Morrowind came out in a year of the Xbox's launch, and it did things, non-graphic, that no other game has since done.

OC Noob
06-09-2005, 09:56 AM
They can push graphics all they want, but a game is nothing without storyline, features, characters, music etc.
So really, as long as the games are all noticably better then Xbox and still fun, I don't care how they look (just as long as there is improvement).

Yeah, everybody and their mother is saying that now, so I'll field it again.

With the processing power of these next gen systmes it not only allows great gfx, but it also allows for much more significant improvements.

For example, all that processing power the Xbox lacked when producing Fable (thats why they cut a lot of crap), the 360/PS3 have. In addition, physics in console games had tradditionally sucked because they didn't have the juice to run a decent physics engine, but now we have Havok 3.0 and insane physics like you saw in HL2 on the PC and like we see in Full Auto demonstrations.

Last but not least, we now have the power to have NPCs that act, look and seem almost real. As in Oblivion, the next gen CPUs can handle giving NPCs individual personalities that react to you and your actions, have normal daily routines, age normally, realistic facial animations vs the old block chin movements for speach and pretty much do all the things that Fable was only able to touch on due to the lack of power.

As you can see the next gen is going to be more immersive by far than anything we've seen before regardless of gfx.

ps people are still developing Atari 2600 and NES games, so it may not reach its full potential for 30 years. Who knows.

SoundX
06-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Three years or more, just look at the Xbox at the moment. Only now are we seeing games pushing the system properly like Chaos Theory, Half Life 2, Rid****, Doom 3 and so forth.

Even though its supposed to be easier to develop for the 360, I still don't see being pushed to its limits for many years to come. If ever.

Salmonaitor
06-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah, everybody and their mother is saying that now, so I'll field it again.

With the processing power of these next gen systmes it not only allows great gfx, but it also allows for much more significant improvements.

For example, all that processing power the Xbox lacked when producing Fable (thats why they cut a lot of crap), the 360/PS3 have. In addition, physics in console games had tradditionally sucked because they didn't have the juice to run a decent physics engine, but now we have Havok 3.0 and insane physics like you saw in HL2 on the PC and like we see in Full Auto demonstrations.

Last but not least, we now have the power to have NPCs that act, look and seem almost real. As in Oblivion, the next gen CPUs can handle giving NPCs individual personalities that react to you and your actions, have normal daily routines, age normally, realistic facial animations vs the old block chin movements for speach and pretty much do all the things that Fable was only able to touch on due to the lack of power.

As you can see the next gen is going to be more immersive by far than anything we've seen before regardless of gfx.

ps people are still developing Atari 2600 and NES games, so it may not reach its full potential for 30 years. Who knows.

WOW. that was one of the best posts I've seen in a long time; technical, yet understandable. :cheers:

Variation-XBA
06-16-2005, 12:56 AM
All consoles have had the same trend. It usually takes most of the life span of a system to really push the system to it's limits.

Look at launch ps1 games, then the end cycle ones.
Compare launch xbox games to Doom3
PS2 launch had nothing on GT4 now.

I expect the cycle to stay roughly the same.

m4oH
06-16-2005, 10:09 AM
All consoles have had the same trend. It usually takes most of the life span of a system to really push the system to it's limits.

Look at launch ps1 games, then the end cycle ones.
Compare launch xbox games to Doom3
PS2 launch had nothing on GT4 now.

I expect the cycle to stay roughly the same.
Yep im gonna have to go with what variation said.:cheers:

AlphaRaptor
06-16-2005, 12:10 PM
On the newest OXM disk a developer of GR3 said probably not for a two or more years and they have so much power they don't know what to do with it. Another developer of Elder Scrolls said they could literally do "anything" they wanted.

Basicaly what they were saying is that now, the hardware isn't going to limit the developers, it'll actually be the developers limitations. Because of this, I beleive new programs will be invented to produce higher detail enviroments in much less time.

Reclaimer
06-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Because of XNA, I feel that it would take less than a year before developers will find a way to push the hardware levels to it's capacity. After all, XNA is supposed to be the key for game houses to make great games all in one package.
They'll only be limited to their imagination.

Rhiannon
06-17-2005, 06:02 PM
I am thinking atleast two years, simply because it takes about that long for a game to be fully developed(from dev kits to final product). I am just hoping for major improvements in gameplay and new ideas rather than graphics I guess. Innovations are great.