PDA

View Full Version : DVDs for 360

kamikaze666
07-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Too bad gates decided to use DVDs for the xbox 360 instead of HD-DVDs, b/c a DVD seems a little too small for nex-gen.

StudioAlex
07-13-2005, 10:57 AM
I've no problem with using the DVD standard. Without prerendered movies, games take up only a fraction of a DVD. Since prerenders have zero effect on how much I enjoy a game, I could care less if they quit making them. Consumers as a whole aren't going to buy into a new format for their movies this soon anyway. Sony is mistaken thinking people want to switch to BLU Ray.

J4320
07-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Either DVD or HD-DVD works for me.

ShannonX
07-13-2005, 11:39 PM
i'll switch to whatever becomes standard (in regards to movies). If there is no standard, i'll just wait until they start making dual format next gen dvd players, kinda like we have dvd burners that support dvd+r and dvd-r (competing formats)

OC Noob
07-14-2005, 04:01 AM
There is no point in including HD-DVD and increasing the system price by $100 like Sony is, when there are no market established standards for next gen optical drive formats. Why pay the extra $100 for something that may end up being like Betamax tape players or something that you can't even get content for yet.

There is nothing that will not fit on multiple DVDs that we will see in gaming for atleast then next couple of years. I'm not really sure why everyone acts like there is a 1 DVD limit to games. Most PC games still come on 3, 4, 5 or even 6 CD's, so I really don't see a problem with a console game coming on 2 DVDs.

To sum it up, there is no storage limitation to DVDs now and there won't be for a long, long time when it comes to gaming and then next optical drive option for movies is still years from the mainstream market so why pay $100 for something that won't be useful for a few years and might fail in the consumer market/may never make it into the mainstream consumer market.

ps like someone said, even with HD textures games don't take up a full DVD (dual layer) so if someone wants to put 10 gigabytes of pretty movies in a game let them use a second disk + all the extra space on the first to fit their game. God only knows why someone would want that much video in their game or why they would be that inefficient at encoding it, but the option is there. Real movies take up tons more space than video game movies (even really nice ones) so I can see HD movies, in a few years, requiring that kind of storage. i.e. Blu-ray or HD-DVD, but not games, not for a long, long time.

squid413
07-14-2005, 12:19 PM
There is no point in including HD-DVD and increasing the system price by $100 like Sony is, when there are no market established standards for next gen optical drive formats. Why pay the extra $100 for something that may end up being like Betamax tape players or something that you can't even get content for yet.

There is nothing that will not fit on multiple DVDs that we will see in gaming for atleast then next couple of years. I'm not really sure why everyone acts like there is a 1 DVD limit to games. Most PC games still come on 3, 4, 5 or even 6 CD's, so I really don't see a problem with a console game coming on 2 DVDs.

To sum it up, there is no storage limitation to DVDs now and there won't be for a long, long time when it comes to gaming and then next optical drive option for movies is still years from the mainstream market so why pay $100 for something that won't be useful for a few years and might fail in the consumer market/may never make it into the mainstream consumer market.

ps like someone said, even with HD textures games don't take up a full DVD (dual layer) so if someone wants to put 10 gigabytes of pretty movies in a game let them use a second disk + all the extra space on the first to fit their game. God only knows why someone would want that much video in their game or why they would be that inefficient at encoding it, but the option is there. Real movies take up tons more space than video game movies (even really nice ones) so I can see HD movies, in a few years, requiring that kind of storage. i.e. Blu-ray or HD-DVD, but not games, not for a long, long time.

OC Noob, it would be hard to have a game on two different dvd's. The reason its possible for computer games is because you install them on your harddrive. Imagine you're in the middle of a huge firefight and all of a sudden the game stops and asks you to insert disc 2. I personally think they should go with one of the next gen formats now. Gates already said the 360 will support HD DVD in the future so why not just support it now. Otherwise the early adopters of the system will get the shaft.

BlindSniper
07-14-2005, 03:16 PM
OC Noob, it would be hard to have a game on two different dvd's. The reason its possible for computer games is because you install them on your harddrive. Imagine you're in the middle of a huge firefight and all of a sudden the game stops and asks you to insert disc 2. I personally think they should go with one of the next gen formats now. Gates already said the 360 will support HD DVD in the future so why not just support it now. Otherwise the early adopters of the system will get the shaft.

True, but what kind of moron would end disk 1 in the middle of a firefight......like other 2 disk console games, it asks for disk 2 at the end of an important cutscene, so there isn't really any loss in the mood set or whatnot. I wouldn't have a problem with 2 disks, sony did it, nintendo did it and if Microsoft did it, who the hell cares.

Shadow20002
07-14-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm not really sure why everyone acts like there is a 1 DVD limit to games. Most PC games still come on 3, 4, 5 or even 6 CD's, so I really don't see a problem with a console game coming on 2 DVDs.

Well, just to let you notice that PC are different from console versions. When you got a game like 6 CDs for PC, you will need all of them to install the game and only need one CD to play. For console versions, if there are 3-4 CDs (like Playstation 1), sure you need one to play but if you like to play from some savepoint or anything in the like you need to switch to another CD. Anyone remember playing Final fantasy on PSOne? I will pay more to have HD-DVD in it rather than having a game with mutiple DVDs.

vman
07-14-2005, 11:30 PM
does it really matter THAT much? if you want to play HD-DVD's then get something tha plays is. If you want a Blu-ray player then get the BS3 or a blue ray player. no big deal.

i dunno about the rest of you but i use consoles for gaming. i really dont look at the peripherals, especially things as useless as BC. You are purchasing a console and not a swiss army knife!

Dj Logical 1
07-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Alright really, "Xbox 360 gaming console" not fckng "Xbox 360 movie player". And if you have a HD tv, you shouldnt be using a gaming console to play movies you should get a Blue ray, not PS3 but a real blue ray.

blonks
07-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Alright really, "Xbox 360 gaming console" not fckng "Xbox 360 movie player". And if you have a HD tv, you shouldnt be using a gaming console to play movies you should get a Blue ray, not PS3 but a real blue ray.

blue ray is the pirated format of BLU ray.... good look buying the discs for really cheap

plus, i agree with alex

Unreal
07-16-2005, 11:08 AM
The current Xbox DVD's are DVD9's. Which I believe is 8.9 gigs in size and thats only a single layer disc. So a dual layer DVD9 would make it pretty much 18 gigs in size. I dont know about you but that is more then big enough for a game next gen. But I wouldnt count out HD-DVD just yet. Toshiba is working with MS about putting HD-DVD into the system and with Team Ninja playing a big part in MS's Japanese software talent. I wouldnt count it out yet.

If HD-DVD does not pan out as the disc choice it does not matter because it does not cost as much as Blue Ray does if that does not pan out. The worse that can happen is you get games on HD-DVD or high dev and I am ok with that.

OC Noob
07-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Well, just to let you notice that PC are different from console versions. When you got a game like 6 CDs for PC, you will need all of them to install the game and only need one CD to play. For console versions, if there are 3-4 CDs (like Playstation 1), sure you need one to play but if you like to play from some savepoint or anything in the like you need to switch to another CD. Anyone remember playing Final fantasy on PSOne? I will pay more to have HD-DVD in it rather than having a game with mutiple DVDs.

There are easy work arounds that can be done on DVDs. If its something that would give the user acess to earlier content/areas they can add the needed files (-live stuff, - old cutscenes, -etc..) to the second DVD without the need to switch disks. The only thing you wouldn't have on both disks would be the cutscenes and you wouldn't be seeing those again anyway. At this point its the cutscenes that are a possible issue and the needed game content would be small enough to throw on both disks. In addition, it doesn't cost anything extra to add more info to a disk that your already pressing.

It can be done without much hassle and for $100 cheaper.

kamikaze666
07-29-2005, 04:25 PM
HAHA!! Looks like Microsoft agrees with me and they're going to switch to HD-DVD. In your face OC Noob.

carlbme
07-29-2005, 07:10 PM
I personally think MS switching to HD-DVD is a bad move (if true) for several reasons. Main one being the price point. Second one being either cause a delay (one of the reasons they didn't go with it to begin with) or a gap in the box's themselves when the second version ships with the HD-DVD.

Double_Diablo
07-29-2005, 08:11 PM
I doubt that the price will be that big of a deal. Most developers will probably stick to regular DVD's to keep the price low to drive sales further or because they don't need that much space on a disc. But if developers have enormous games that require a lot of space and HD-DVD is required, it will benefit them.