PDA

View Full Version : Games not in full version?

Shadow20002
10-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Xbox 360 chief architect Peter Moore has already stated that there are no plans to stream full-length 360 titles via Live. However, there is great potential to introduce episodic gaming. Services like Xbox Live Arcade are definitely going to take a chunk out of retailers profits, but episodic gaming could completely change how we buy and play games.

By staggering the release of a game’s content into weekly intervals, publishers can create the same kind of frenzy and anticipation that avid television watchers experience. But is the Xbox 360 HDD prepared to handle this transition? Would new episodes replace old ones? How would this affect replay value? Once you own an episode, can you download it again? Questions, questions, questions…

Source@ (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000780065021/)

StudioAlex
10-26-2005, 12:03 PM
It's a bad idea. The sales for each installment for a normal game will fall at a steady rate. Meaning, 100,000 people might buy the first few levels. 60,000 might buy part two, and then 25,000 would buy the final. Sure, Halo 3 might make more money on such a scheme (and Bungie would have no excuse for a commercial break-esque ending ala Halo 2) but the vast majority games would be better off just selling the whole thing for a one time purchase.

Hero
10-26-2005, 12:51 PM
i think episodic gaming has its advantages

1. its more advantageous for smaller companies trying to make a name for themselves because it requires a smaller investment.

2. because its cheaper to make episodes than entire games both big and small companies can take risks and make some really unique and innovative games.

3. Bill Gates stated that hes not to worried about the current war between HD-DVD vs BLU-Ray since he thinks soon everything would be downloaded on demand. This should lower the cost for consumers a bit since it elimates the production and manufactoring costs of physical media.

either way im sure episodic gaming wont replace the way we purchase games now instead it simply provides us and the publishers with another alternative.

Jackyboy
10-26-2005, 06:56 PM
damn this early launch

m4oH
10-26-2005, 08:04 PM
I would rather just buy the entire game than having to pay a little bit at a time for each "episode". I don't know, I guess it would be pretty neat though.

ShaDovV RyDer
10-26-2005, 08:29 PM
I would have to say that game developers need to do like the first Splinter Cell did and make a great game and then if you feel like you can add more to it then make DLable single player levels to expand on that game. Of course some games have a period. end of story. ending in which case this would be an pretty cool idea. Except that a lot of time people get stuck on a level so does that mean that now they will just be able to buy their way past the level? And what are people going to do when they play one boring episode after playing 6 other sweet ones. Are they going to continue buying to see the end result after that one bad experience?

It will certainly be interesting to see how this all works and who will be the first to step up and accually make this type of game.

RockTheCasba
10-26-2005, 09:55 PM
i would hate this

George89
10-26-2005, 10:23 PM
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, why is the industry getting so complicated?! :crying: