PDA

View Full Version : IGN Kameo Review...Not Good.

TheCovenant
11-15-2005, 08:52 AM
8.4 says ign editor David Clayman. If you watch the video review, you'll find that he doesnt really say anything bad about the game. IN fact, its praise, praise, praise until you look at the score.

Well, heres the written review which im currently reading. The video review is atthe bottom of the page in the media section.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/666/666667p1.html

OKay, it has become apperant to me that the reason this game got the rating it did, is because it didn't live up to the hype, genrated by the media outlets...such as IGN.com. Thats kind of stupid, the game still sounds like fun, and the review only strengthens that thought. Just take a look at these closing comments:

8.0 Presentation
A tight package that deserves praise but is less than breathtaking. The story is simple and not very engaging.

Didn't live up to the hype.

8.0 Graphics
The game runs without a hitch and there are some beautiful examples of what is possible on Xbox 360. Kameo is a fine example that the best is yet to come.

Great graphics.

8.5 Sound
A great score and enjoyable voice work that makes the experience feel a bit more magical.

Great Sound.

8.5 Gameplay
No matter what generation this game is associated with you can't ignore the intelligent puzzles and wonderfully original playable characters.

Great Gameplay.

7.5 Lasting Appeal
This game can easily be completed in a weekend. Co-op mode, collectibles, and the scoring system stretch out the experience but its still feels like it all ends too soon.

Didn't live up to the hype.

Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Much lower than this game obviously deserves, even according to the reviewer.

OutlawSixteen
11-15-2005, 09:08 AM
How is 8.4 not good, by any means? It's caption on ign says "impressive". I can't help but feeling that a lot of outside factors play into that rating.

In the beggining of the video review he said it looked like a nintendo game. After he said that I relized if this game was rated on a GCN, it'd be in the high/mid nines.

mattgame
11-15-2005, 09:08 AM
I think 8.4 is damn good.

laughs
11-15-2005, 09:14 AM
15 hours of gameplay isn't much.... Maybe it'll be better as a rental.

Marc
11-15-2005, 09:15 AM
Sounds like it deserved a 9. Oh well...could IGN be a bastion of PS3 fanboys?

BoogerBoy
11-15-2005, 09:27 AM
8.4 is pretty good I'd say, I just hope this game is better than Conker was on Xbox. That game was very very disappointing.

laughs
11-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Gamespot gave it an 8.7 ...fewer than 10 hours :yikes:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kameoelementsofpower/review.html

AdventChild
11-15-2005, 09:40 AM
ill be reviewing it for XBA and I think this review is a little off to say the least, dont let this review stop you from getting this GREAT game, some media outlets let other things influence their reviews....trust me

TheCovenant
11-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Well the "Bring it on" ending, Second place is still good attitude is healthy at least. Still, the game warrants higher, ESPECIALLY if the xbox hating gamespot gave it a higher rating than ign.

FuNkY mOnK
11-15-2005, 11:23 AM
8.4 is great, and for a lunch title that’s even better, lets not forget here that this game was to be for the original xbox so I think most of it’s roots are there, Rare just added a dash of spice to flavor it up a little. GPR3 and oblivion show the workings of the 360.

studepaber
11-15-2005, 11:24 AM
I don't see the 8.4 score as disappointing, it doesn't fit the review though like you said Covenant. The game can be short if you rush through it without doing sidequests, but with multiple ways of killing your foes using different forms, then adding co-op to the mix I'm sure this will keep me entertained for at least a few months.

Shadow20002
11-15-2005, 11:39 AM
8.4 is a great score compare to some launch Xbox games back in that time.

Ninjermy
11-15-2005, 12:28 PM
8.4 is not a great score in my opinion. I was hoping for all the 360 games to be 90+ but then again, as game quality increases so do the standards...
I am curious as to what this game would score were it played on an original xbox. Haha I think they should review games on the 360 and at the same time rate it how it deserves would it be on the original, that way we have a comparison (aka if it gets 9.5 on the xbox and 8.4 on the 360 it makes sense)...

Twistedcritts14
11-15-2005, 04:00 PM
I think anything below a 8.7 8.8 is a rental

GigerHR
11-15-2005, 04:37 PM
I got to play this the full game (not just the demo level) Sunday afternoon, and I think the IGN review is definitely on the low side. You can't factor "hype" into your scoring, especially when you have no other 360 games to compare it to. Personally, this game is a solid 9.0. Great graphics, great music, TONS of fun to play. It's exactly the right mix of puzzle and action I like in an advanture game. Lots of unlockables, and secrets to be found as well.

I think MSFT lucked out with this one as a launch title. Couldn't really ask for more, that's for sure. :)

trixmaster
11-15-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't see what's wrong with 8.4. Anything over 8 is going to be a great game. Remember people, a 5 is average.

Snowblind
11-15-2005, 08:09 PM
8.4 is far better then what I expected out of Kameo.

greg756
11-15-2005, 08:20 PM
well it could be worse it could have gotten a 5 or a 6 for being a a game that has been in development for as long as the xbox has been out itself...i dont know if they need to get more people to work on games...i played the demo and liked what i played as well as saw so ill have that and condemned for my two titles for launch for now i may get perfect dark zero...but how will that fare?....i do admit it is slightly bad...man we need oblivion and bad

Go420Dawgs
11-15-2005, 08:34 PM
WEll ive played the first few levels out of the retail game and i liked it alot so screw what they say.

mattgame
11-15-2005, 08:36 PM
There is never eally going to be a perfect game let's get that out of the way. So we're starting at 9.9. 8.4 is only 1.5 away from a 9.9

So the difference is A+ to B. A very good score with just a few more mistakes.

I can go with 8.4 easy.

ShadedNine
11-15-2005, 10:17 PM
I don't see what's wrong with 8.4. Anything over 8 is going to be a great game. Remember people, a 5 is average.

That's the problem, historically, 5 is far far far far below the average at most review sites. I'm thinking these sites are all trying to start with a fresh plate for the 360, thus the somewhat lower than expected ratings at some sites for a few of the launch games.

It stands to reason, that if these are just the first of many titles to come, you can't just start handing out 9s, or every and any game better has to squeeze within the margin of a single point.

Let these games set the trend, and let the future titles reflect it, lower or higher I say. Besides that, a game that short is going to be limited on that factor alone, regardless of the quality of those hours.

l Maximus l
11-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I figured it would be about an 8.4. Platformers generally don't get scores in the mid 9's like some of you guys were hoping that Kameo was going to get.

skorp
11-15-2005, 10:31 PM
I guess I'll find out myself when I get my hands on it... :p

TheCovenant
11-16-2005, 03:38 AM
That's the problem, historically, 5 is far far far far below the average at most review sites. I'm thinking these sites are all trying to start with a fresh plate for the 360, thus the somewhat lower than expected ratings at some sites for a few of the launch games.

It stands to reason, that if these are just the first of many titles to come, you can't just start handing out 9s, or every and any game better has to squeeze within the margin of a single point.

Let these games set the trend, and let the future titles reflect it, lower or higher I say. Besides that, a game that short is going to be limited on that factor alone, regardless of the quality of those hours.

Thats exactly what i was thinking, i just couldn't think of a way to type it.

SoundX
11-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Sounds like another Fable, extremely good... while it lasts :)

Jackyboy
11-16-2005, 03:46 PM
xbox addict needs to start their own xbox 360 game review page at the homepage or something, 1 horrible - 10 epic

FB-Gollum
11-16-2005, 10:39 PM
I went Best Buy again today and spent some time on Kameo...it's actually quite addictive, and I don;t like platformers. I was harsh on it before but Maximus was all about it, so while I was driving by with some time to kill I thought I'd go give it another shot (what an excuse to go play more 360 at a retail outlet...pathetic). I'm glad I did, it's a really fun game with a pretty unique concept.

Jags
11-16-2005, 11:47 PM
ight watever man an 8 is gd
its like wat shadednine said
BUT EVEN THOUGH we all know we're allll probably gonna end up playing the basterd game regardless of wat ign had to say

SamSmith
11-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Imho, I feel that the first Xbox games are being judged in a tough manner because the reviewers really have nothing to compare them to. They cant be too hasty, and give a game with what seems to have incredible graphics a very large score, since we still don't know what is capable from the machine. The same applies to all other aspects of the game.