PDA

View Full Version : a t.v. for my 360...which one?

BORNGD
12-27-2005, 02:55 PM
so i'm on a budget...looking about 37" t.v., HD obviously...what do you guys have? any suggestions? under 2000!!! hopefully alot less if i'm lucky...any ideas??

ShadedNine
12-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Gonna need more info before I can recommend anything. What kind of room will the TV be in (brightly lit? dim? dark?), how far do you plan to sit from it while gaming? and finally, is depth an issue (as in, do you have a cosmetic preference between flat-panel and rear-projection styles).

Also, when you say 'about' 37 inches, are you constrained in some way that you require that particular size? or are you looking to go as big as you can get for your dollar (and still have good quality, obviously).

BORNGD
12-28-2005, 01:53 AM
thanks for some feedback...

37 is the minimum i want, bigger is ok too (like you said, quality first though)...it would be on a stand, but the stand could take a 50" if i could get afford one...i'm looking to spend no more than 2000 for everything! (less would be nice of course)

the room is dim i'd say, not too bright, but the light comes in during the day...most of the time i watch tv / dvd's at night or play the 360 at night anyways...

i'd say 15 - 20 feet from the tv to the couch? thats about average??? it an average distance in the family room. Depth is an issue, it cannot be the kind that goes on the wall (dont think i could afford that anyways), it will be on a t.v. stand because of my setup.

Gonna need more info before I can recommend anything. What kind of room will the TV be in (brightly lit? dim? dark?), how far do you plan to sit from it while gaming? and finally, is depth an issue (as in, do you have a cosmetic preference between flat-panel and rear-projection styles).

Also, when you say 'about' 37 inches, are you constrained in some way that you require that particular size? or are you looking to go as big as you can get for your dollar (and still have good quality, obviously).

BORNGD
12-28-2005, 10:44 AM
how does this one sound....
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6998378&productCategoryId=pcmcat31800050028&type=product&tab=2&id=1110265591243

Jackyboy
12-28-2005, 12:26 PM
that one is 1080p and most of the games are 720p, does that mess something up? just wondering

BORNGD
12-28-2005, 01:12 PM
good question...

Rhiannon
12-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I am undecided between these 2
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_7/602-1204093-7129456?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000B6JJNC

and this one

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&pid=05754055000&subcat=Projection+TVs

ShadedNine
12-28-2005, 06:30 PM
For both of you, unless you're after a really flat screen, I would steer away from the LCD panel style, and stick to projection. For the same price, you'll get a larger screen with an image as good or better. There's 3 different types of rear projections systems, all fairly comparable. CRT, LCD and DLP. Don't confuse these with regular CRT or LCD TVs...they use the same technology, but in a very different way.

I can't really recommend any particular one of the three, since with constantly shifting prices and models, no one in particular shines above the others. If you're in a dimly lit room though, DLP can muster a little more contrast in the image, though recent LCD models have come pretty close in this department.
CRT units, while very sharp and bright, are probably not your best bet for 360 gaming. They can change their resolution to match the 360, but most models still scan everything as interlaced, which means fast motion can look a little sloppy.

It's hard to list any specific recommendations, with prices shifting madly around this time of year, but if you're willing to order online, a better deal can often be had than Best Buy will offer you. You should be able to get something in the range of 40-50" in a DLP Rear Projection TV for less than $2k.

I'd also steer away from 1080p right now. It might feel like you're buying into the future of HD, but there's a very good chance that upcoming revisions in content protection will invalidate current TVs from displaying such content anyway. Until HDMI has solidified itself as a standard, I wouldn't move past 720p.

BORNGD
12-28-2005, 07:30 PM
iam confused now....just too many choices! i was told stay away from projection t.v.'s as in the light they dont look as good as other t.v.'s....not true??

BORNGD
12-28-2005, 07:31 PM
i too am thinking about that one from target, i might get that one...i dont think projection is better...but i might be wrong

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_7/602-1204093-7129456?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000B6JJNC

and this one

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&pid=05754055000&subcat=Projection+TVs

ShadedNine
12-28-2005, 08:08 PM
iam confused now....just too many choices! i was told stay away from projection t.v.'s as in the light they dont look as good as other t.v.'s....not true??

This is only true of FRONT projection, where you're shining a light onto a white screen, which reflects it back at you.

Rear projection is quite different. It uses the same principle, but instead of reflection, it shines the image onto a dark, translucent material. With front projection, any light shining on that white wall dilutes the effect of the screen. With rear projection, light hitting the outside of the screen (the part you can see) mostly gets absorbed, and so doesn't reach your eyes, and doesn't dilute the image.

The advantage of both forms of projection is that it's easy to build a larger screen, particularily with front. With Plasma, LCD and CRT, you need to physically increase the size of the panels/tube to make the screen larger, rather than just stretching out a larger piece of fabric and positioning it a little further away (or using lenses to magnify the image).

Rhiannon
12-28-2005, 08:15 PM
I also did more research and the one from target actually is a true HDTV it has the tuners included in it, so I don't have to buy a $200+ digital tuner(even though I'll end up using my cable companies because their coding sort of forces the issue).
I am so excited to finally get to view in high definition, and whenever I get the 360 you guys will probably htink me dead because I may be sucked into HDTV lala land.

l Maximus l
12-28-2005, 08:36 PM
I also did more research and the one from target actually is a true HDTV it has the tuners included in it, so I don't have to buy a $200+ digital tuner(even though I'll end up using my cable companies because their coding sort of forces the issue).
I am so excited to finally get to view in high definition, and whenever I get the 360 you guys will probably htink me dead because I may be sucked into HDTV lala land.

Welcome to the HDTV crew, Rhiannon!

Once you go High Def, you won't go back.........ever.

I own two HDTVs now...one is a 50" Rear Projection HDTV and my other one is a Front Projection DLP Projector casting an HD image on a 106" screen :)

Make sure you use Component Video cables when you hook up your XBox 360...also any DVD player (make sure the DVD player has "Progressive Scan"). Also, if you're using the High Definition cable box with your cable company, you may be able to use a DVI cable instead of Component (DVI is technically superior in picture quality).

Whatever you choose, do no use Composite or S-Video with that sweet ass HDTV!!! That would be utter blasphemy!!! :D

Component Video cables are colored blue, green, and red, (three seperate cables) not to be confused by the red and white audio cables. The XBox 360 provides a set of Component Video cables as well as one Composite (yellow) cable. Do not use the yellow one...just the blue, green, and red cables.

Component Video cables and DVI (Digital Video Input) cables are the only way to get High Definition and maximize your equipment. Well, technically, HDMI will also do it, too.

Rhiannon
12-29-2005, 08:20 AM
ok but I dont think this particular tv has DVI just VGA and HDMI...so confusing lol.

BORNGD
12-29-2005, 10:29 AM
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11098087&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

how does this one sound? the price is right!

BORNGD
12-29-2005, 10:31 AM
so is everyone saying, that this one is just as good picture wise? because it is rear projection?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aspect-by-Hitachi-65-HDTV-Display-65M200-/sem/rpsm/oid/129633/catOid/-12870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

l Maximus l
12-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Borngd...I'm not sure about the brand Maxent, but, I do know about Hitachi. Hitachi is an excellent manufacturer.

Obviously, the Rear Projection is a very nice size, if you have the room for it...that's also a great price for a Hitachi 65". Make sure that the HDTV produces a "native 720p" image before buying, otherwise, you won't be as happy with it while playing your XBox 360. Also, make sure you use the appropriate Component Video cables.

One thing to keep in mind with Rear Projection HDTVs that are not LCD or DLP, you do have the risk of burn-in on the screen. To dramatically reduce or elimate this, make sure your contrast is lower than 70 (preferably as low as 50). Also, should you put your game on pause, simply turn off the screen to the HDTV.

When owning an HDTV, all you have to be is a little more conscious about the equipment compared to a standard tube television...that's all :)

l Maximus l
12-29-2005, 05:34 PM
ok but I dont think this particular tv has DVI just VGA and HDMI...so confusing lol.

Ah...gotcha...DVI or HDMI are good for digital video if your other equipment (DVD player, Cable Box) also share the same inputs. Component Video is the minimum to use, though, to maximize the visual quality of the screen.

VGA is most commonly used for using your HDTV as the monitor for your computer.

ShadedNine
12-29-2005, 05:58 PM
DVI and HDMI are the exact same as far as the video signal goes. HDMI can also carry a digital audio signal though.

As for that Hitachi screen...it's a nice TV overall, but not really ideal for the 360. It will only scan at 1080i, as do most CRTs (though not all). It will cost a little bit more, but try looking for a DLP or LCD rear projection TV (DLPs are only rear projection, so it's often not specified in their description).

The one issue I have with those no-name LCD TVs you see everywhere, is the vast majority of them have terrible contrast ratios (ignore what the specs say, you have to actually see the thing, specs are garbage). Make sure you're able to do a side by side comparison with a good LCD TV from say...Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba or similar, and take a close look at the darkest black each one can display. Try to do a comparison on a fairly dark image, since differentiating between dark colours is where cheap screens tend to fall apart.

Rhiannon
12-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I did a live comparison with the Syntax Olevia I puchased and was very impressed!
Prior to the hands on(or eyes on rather) I discovered this web site that had some helpful test results. It measures color saturation, black, white and color temperatures.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1642842,00.asp

perhaps this site can be of some help to those still in the market.

ShadedNine
12-29-2005, 10:24 PM
It's sad really how very few sites seem to do HDTV reviews. The review on that TV was good, but it can be a little tricky to compare against another model of choice, since they've done a relatively small number of reviews.

Probably because there's such a stupidly huge number of TVs out there, and while it seems you should only have to review 1 TV in a series, there's often unusual and drastic differences between the same TV at different sizes.

It's no different for digital cameras though, and there's at least 3 great, reliable and sizeable review sites for those :P

BORNGD
12-30-2005, 12:09 PM
so you got the one from target??? can you tell me the good (and bad if any) about the t.v....did you get it shipped to you? what did you buy with it? any cables from target? curious on your setup now!

and this one

Rhiannon
12-30-2005, 01:26 PM
I got the one from Target..they had only the display left so I went ahead and purchased it online. I will have it in my house by the fourth. I must say that when I saw the display in the store I was really impressed and the more I read up about this brand(syntax) the more I discover that many others are truely impressed. For example this brands 32", 37" and 40" LCD displays were used for the Shrine Auditorium display this year.

I don't claim to know a lot about HDTV or LCD displays for that matter but I was impressed by it at Target and at the mall when compared to other brands. I will be purchasing some HDMI cables from Walmart as the prices are right there as well as some quality componet(red, blue, green) for a progressive scan DVD player(up conversion). I also have to buy a new T.V. stand. So tonight I hope to get to the store to purchase all neccessary do-dads and hit the liquer store to prepare for New Years Eve.

I am so excited you guys don't even know :) I'll be watching the super bowl in HD lmao

BORNGD
12-31-2005, 09:17 AM
how did the movies look with the normal dvd player???

I got the one from Target..they had only the display left so I went ahead and purchased it online. I will have it in my house by the fourth. I must say that when I saw the display in the store I was really impressed and the more I read up about this brand(syntax) the more I discover that many others are truely impressed. For example this brands 32", 37" and 40" LCD displays were used for the Shrine Auditorium display this year.

I don't claim to know a lot about HDTV or LCD displays for that matter but I was impressed by it at Target and at the mall when compared to other brands. I will be purchasing some HDMI cables from Walmart as the prices are right there as well as some quality componet(red, blue, green) for a progressive scan DVD player(up conversion). I also have to buy a new T.V. stand. So tonight I hope to get to the store to purchase all neccessary do-dads and hit the liquer store to prepare for New Years Eve.

I am so excited you guys don't even know :) I'll be watching the super bowl in HD lmao