PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty 2 Lag patch on the way!

Brevity
01-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Call of Duty 2 Lag patch on the way!
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/680/680576p1.html

January 10, 2006 - Since the title's release, almost everyone who'd tried out Call of Duty 2's for the Xbox 360 has been clamoring for an update to the online multiplayer component. Well, apparently the developers have been listening, or have known all along. According to a post by Infinity Ward on xbox.com, a multiplayer patch is indeed in the works.

According to the post, the patch will target persistent issues with lag. "Infinity Ward is aware that some players have experienced challenges with lag issues," says Infinity Ward, "and we are currently working with Microsoft to create an update that will resolve it." Whether or not lag is the only issue that's being worked on is unclear, as the post is rather short. It does, however, mention that, "we [Infinity Ward] are aware of the issues at hand," which very well means they could be working on some other issues in addition to the lag. Perhaps we might even see a retooling of the online server search interface.

For now, we'll have to remain content with the knowledge that Call of Duty 2's online issues are recognized and the process of rectifying them is underway. Call of Duty 2 was named best overall game by IGN Xbox 360 for its stellar single player campaign and immersive atmosphere. If the multiplayer mode is significantly improved, this already great game could evolve into something even better. Stay tuned to IGN for more.

r3lik1
01-11-2006, 08:07 AM
they wouldn't have to do this crap if they just took their time on the game(s) and got it right the first time!

Imperius
01-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Exactly r3lik1.

FB-Gollum
01-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah yeah, if they got it right the first time! Or thy coul release the perfect single player campaign and fix it while we're all working our way through that. Launch schedule people.

swivel
01-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah yeah, if they got it right the first time! Or thy coul release the perfect single player campaign and fix it while we're all working our way through that. Launch schedule people.

That's a good point.

However, as both a PC and a console gamer, I really do not want to see consoles to become more like PC's. I like the complex games I can play on my PC, but I have to deal with other headaches, patches and rushed products being numero uno. I want to sit in front of my console and know that every game is going to work, glitch free. And that is how things have been for a long while.

Once hard drives are standard in consoles, as well as internet connections, I fear that developers will be able to get a little lazy in the testing phase. With PC games, it isn't unheard of for a game to go gold and a patch to be announced on the same day! This is not where I want my consoles to look for ideas.

BORNGD
01-11-2006, 12:38 PM
i agree, it never should have been shipped unfinished, but luckily they are fixing the problem! i was going to sell my COD2 but now i will probably keep it

Salmonaitor
01-11-2006, 01:19 PM
It shipped to meet Launch...duh. It is an amazing game, and it will be fixed, I swear you people just look to complain about things.

r3lik1
01-11-2006, 01:43 PM
It shipped to meet Launch...duh. It is an amazing game, and it will be fixed, I swear you people just look to complain about things.

Exactly...it was rushed...this is why there is a problem with it! And im not complaining, i don't even have the game....nor a 360

but games shouldn't be rushed, just to make a launch date, END OF STORY

mrmp3
01-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Yea I hope companies don't veer towards patching everything after release, but still, they made it to launch and it keeps me the most entertained out of all launch titles so I honestly don't mind.

thatdude222
01-11-2006, 03:06 PM
about damn time. that lag was horrendous.

Double_Diablo
01-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Hooray! At last the mediocre multiplayer will be patched! Perhaps they'll let more players join too.

thatdude222
01-11-2006, 03:11 PM
it doesnt need more players. 4v4 is plenty, any more and the game turns into a mindless thompson/mp40/ppSH sprayfest. dont beleive it? play it on PC.

BORNGD
01-11-2006, 11:46 PM
games shouldn't be rushed, just to make a launch date, END OF STORY

exactly! i am complaining, i think the online aspect is horrible and a misrepresentation of the game, i didnt pay $60 for a game with lag (oh wait i did!)

i mean, i could have waited one more month if thats all it needed, or two, or three, i want a great product for the money!

Variation-XBA
01-12-2006, 12:15 AM
but games shouldn't be rushed, just to make a launch date, END OF STORY

But people complain then because it's taking too long, or lose interest, so they lose either way.

r3lik1
01-12-2006, 09:11 AM
But people complain then because it's taking too long, or lose interest, so they lose either way.

true...there are those poeple that will b!tch and complain about a game not being released "on time"....but i guarantee when it does eventually get released, they will STILL buy it!!!

So the companies that make the games are in a lose-lose situation--people will cry about the game not being out yet, so they rush the game and there will be bugs in it--then the "people" will complain about the bug(s) so then the companies will have to make these patches...I'm glad i sell drugs for a living(j/k)

FB-Gollum
01-12-2006, 09:51 AM
I think the main point we seem to be glossing over here is that it was rushed for launch. There are really only two good excuses for russhing a game, 1. It's a launch title, and the developer would like to see a console they will be developing for succeed, it's important to have some AAA titles. If COD II didn't even have multiplayer it would still be a AAA title, so the fact that they chose to sac that part a bit and fix it later is ok by me, as long as ity gets fixed. 2. The console's life cycle is ending. Look at a lot of the Xbox games coming out now. Many are obviously just sewn up and shipped as is. They have to though, because of they wait too much longer they will have lost their customer base, then they'll be forced to cut corners on next gen titles to make their money back, and that's a losing decision to have to make.

So let's rejoice that they acknowledge and will fix.

Swivel, I couldn't agree more about not wanting 360 games to become a PC-esque patchfest. I just feel that in this particular situation it's justifiable, however, if we do start to see a major tendency in games to release with the knowledge of required impending fixes, then we need to speak with our dollars and not purchase those games.