PDA

View Full Version : The Xbox Has Landed...

FB-Gollum
01-11-2006, 04:42 PM
...IN MY LIVING ROOM YO! Ok, that was really stupid of me I admit, but I fnally got my 360. After hearing people ***** and moan, after hearing conflicting opinons on graphics, the games the interface etc. I have only one thing to say: If you don't think this is hands down the best console ever you are a fool.

Where do I begin? Let's start with the weakest link in the chain...the games. Many of tem are just slightly prettied up rehashes of previous titles. We all know this. However, what I think a lot of people are overlooking is that these are all first gen rushed out titles that could've easily used a few more months of dev time. It's not like these are the only games that will ever be available. May I say a few of them are incredible? COD II is completely immersive. Condemned had me soiling myself at the visuals alone, nevermind the ultra-tense gameplay. I'll rework a previous point: if you don't think Condemned is a good example of where the next gen can go graphically, you are a fool.

Let's move on to hardware. Mine works. All the people I know who have one? Theirs all work too. Moving on, The ability to stand it upright is a great space saver and the overall design is sleek and feels sturdy. It complements my living room, it looks sophisticated, unlike the hulking black box that would incite snickers from non-gamers who visited. This thing elicits complements and quesions rather than "aren't you too old for games?". The wireless controller owns everything. I was worried about it, but now that I'm using it, I'm getting all my controllers wireless. It's worth the price of batteries or a play and charge kit.

Finally, I just wanted to drop a word on the most important feature. The service infrastructure that Xbox live has become. It's beyond description. Ok maybe not beyond it but you really have to try it out in practice to understand how it affects you. For example, I wasn't sure what game to buy, so I went on marketplace and downloaded demos of all the games I was thinking about. I even got demos for games I wouldn't usually try. Why? Because it's free and I can. For my yearly subscription to live, the access to demos and special features alone is almost worth the price. There is not, has never been and will likely not be for sometime another service like this. Combine that with the media, messaging the DVD controller (which also can control your 360's other functions just like a controller) and you have a package that is a true centerpiece to a home entertainment system. Whether you want to play games, watch movies, listen to music, look at photos, home movies it's all there for you with a few clicks of a button. It's like they thought of almost everything this time around.

I know the people who own one already know all this, so please, we know you know, I'm aiming this at people who don't have one and are wondering if they should get one.

Some people have wondered if it's worth it without an HDTV. I would say certainly. Condemned looks head and shoulders better than anything I've seen on Xbox on my crappy SDTV.

To all my XBA bretheren who have gotten theirs already, please feel free to drop a FR to clockwerk or Druscilla. We're currently playing PD0 and NFSMW.

As a final note, if PS3 is not planning on offering any type of service comparable to what MS is doing, then the PS3 better have graphics on a level like Xbox was to PS2, or it's going to lose some serious ground to MS in this round.

thatdude222
01-11-2006, 06:23 PM
i agree, but my xbox 360 doesnt work.
the fans crapped out and it started melting, which kind of caught my rug on fire.

ll Mista GT ll
01-11-2006, 07:32 PM
the fans crapped out and it started melting, which kind of caught my rug on fire.
Bull*cough*****achoo!

J3bus WTF
01-11-2006, 09:03 PM
You mean you didnt notice your 360 melting and let your rug catch on fire? I call BS.

Gollum your review makes me want the 360 even more now, hmm, how do I say thanks and damn you at the same time?

CarGuy
01-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Mine caught on fire and killed my cat.

DJ tx
01-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Good review Gollum, and congrats on your 360. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and love it as well. I agree with pretty much all you have said. Although my game of choice is PGR3...its addictive and has great gameplay and amazing photo-realistic graphics.

My one complaint is the DVD playback. I tried to watch a movie on the 360 over the weekend and it didnt perform as well as my Sony DVD player. It was just a slight bit choppy or jerky. As I said though this is not a big deal because i didn't buy this for movie playback. I bought it for the awesome games and interface. And what a gorgeous interface. Sometimes I just go clicking around between blades because it looks so good :). I have to give Microsoft "kudos" for the interface (pardon the pun). They did their homework this time around. They combined aspects of the 2 best interfaces on the market, Mac OS X, and TiVo, to create a really great GUI. Its not perfect nor quite as refined as OS X or TiVo, but it is damn close. So I give credit to MS for knowing what consumers were wanting.

Thats all...great system, go buy one ;) Congrats again Gollum!

XBox 360, there is no substitute~

thatdude222
01-12-2006, 02:02 PM
wow, you guys can relaly detect sarcasm well.

ll Mista GT ll
01-12-2006, 04:08 PM
You know it is really hard to detect sarcasm when it is just test. Just a heads up.

Tony_Macaroni
01-12-2006, 09:14 PM
You know it is really hard to detect sarcasm when it is just test. Just a heads up.
pssst he means text

Heavens Gate
01-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Well, I own a 360 and so far have yet to be impressed. I am really getting into NFS: Most Wanted but other than that the games are really stripped down versions and rush jobs( Madden anyone?) and we all know that graphics can only carry a game so far. It's the gameplay that matters and so far I've seen nothing new. I am still enjoying my original Xbox and in some instances the graphics are not leaps and bounds over each other. I think technology is getting way ahead of the game developers and I know that the original Xboxs' power was not fully utilized. Japan is also crapping on our 360 as well. It really has just not been a good launch for the 360 in any way. There is not a big user installed base and if you all remember the Dreamcast was very hard to get even 6 months after it's launch not because of a lack of plants making them but because they were flying off the shelves. I am not comparing the Dreamcast to the 360 but the Dreamcast was way ahead of it's time and still a great system, probably the best system ever with fantastic games. Companies don't make money on the consoles they make money on the games and that is just fact. I think eventually in the near future that consoles will be like cable boxes. They will be free but we will be paying for the content. I guarantee this will happen. I hope our 360 does well soon but I have my doubts. Not to mention it has already been hacked which will turn away game develpoers or they will make inferior games because of this. Something needs to happen soon. My 360 is already acting up as well but I'm glad for the extended warranty I have. My fingers will remain crossed but I hope things turn around or the 360 will be in trouble come PS3 launch day.

SPARTAN VI
01-13-2006, 12:22 AM
I've landed Condemned, PDZ, PGR3, Kameo, DOA4, and Call of Duty 2. So plenty of X360 gaming on my end.

So far my x360 froze twice on me. Both times while loading a map in Condemned, both times it was the same map, and they happened right after each other. It's possible that it was the game and not my x360. I got mine at the Zero Hour event (PC fanboy eh? :p) so I also have the Zero Hour faceplate.. one of a kind in my city.. so far.

The games are pretty ok.. nothing to justify a $500.00 purchase, but since I split the cost with my sister, $250.00 for a X360 is an amazing deal. You can count on seeing me on DOA4 and PGR3 with my XO mates. :cheers:

Tim
01-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the review Gollum! I just ordered mine on Wal-mart.com. I had to order a bundle, so I hope my local store will take back a few of the games, faceplate, 12 month membership (live), etc.

Anyways, I'm pumped after reading your review. I was a little sceptical, because I don't have a HDTV.

FYI, on finding an xbox 360 online. I used http://www.bensbargains.net. They have a Xbox 360 tracking icon on the right hand side bar. Usually all sites are sold out, but every day or so, I see one avaialble. Just have to be check often.

Thanks Again!

FB-Gollum
01-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, I own a 360 and so far have yet to be impressed. I am really getting into NFS: Most Wanted but other than that the games are really stripped down versions and rush jobs( Madden anyone?) and we all know that graphics can only carry a game so far. It's the gameplay that matters and so far I've seen nothing new. I am still enjoying my original Xbox and in some instances the graphics are not leaps and bounds over each other. I think technology is getting way ahead of the game developers and I know that the original Xboxs' power was not fully utilized. Japan is also crapping on our 360 as well. It really has just not been a good launch for the 360 in any way. There is not a big user installed base and if you all remember the Dreamcast was very hard to get even 6 months after it's launch not because of a lack of plants making them but because they were flying off the shelves. I am not comparing the Dreamcast to the 360 but the Dreamcast was way ahead of it's time and still a great system, probably the best system ever with fantastic games. Companies don't make money on the consoles they make money on the games and that is just fact. I think eventually in the near future that consoles will be like cable boxes. They will be free but we will be paying for the content. I guarantee this will happen. I hope our 360 does well soon but I have my doubts. Not to mention it has already been hacked which will turn away game develpoers or they will make inferior games because of this. Something needs to happen soon. My 360 is already acting up as well but I'm glad for the extended warranty I have. My fingers will remain crossed but I hope things turn around or the 360 will be in trouble come PS3 launch day.

Of course the games are stripped down rush jobs the whole system was a mad dash to make launch. Nothing has impressed you? What about out of the box wireless connectivity? Not impressive? The new and improved controllers? The new interface? The improved streamlining of the online community and the improved connectivity features? What about the removable HDD, the gamer profiles...THE ONLINE MARKETPLACE REPLETE WITH DEMO DOWNLOADS! None of this impresses you?

Listen, I understand the launch titles aren't exactly knocking your socks off, I'm itching for some more content as well. However, to make a statement that the launch isn't going well
"at all" and that you haven't been impressed by anything strikes me as overly cynical. More and better games will come. The system itself is easily the best and most intuitive thing ever made. Previously system upgrades were mainly just more powerful harware and better graphics. This is the first one that refocuses the point of a console and expands what it is beyond gaming in a meaningful way. I cannot understand how you would think the system itself is not absolutely stellar.