PDA

View Full Version : A/V X360 Question

Rochey69r
02-20-2006, 04:11 AM
Hey all, I was just wondering what you get in regards to a/v connection wise with the premium xbox 360 bundle.

You see I have no t.v’s in my house that have component inputs. Only the standard yellow composite RCA plug and S-VIDEO.

I use an advanced av pack with my tv in my room so I can have the s-video and the digital input for my Dolby 5.1 setup on my original xbox.
:huh:
With the premium X360 pack what cords come standard with it? I get the impression it allows only the standard composite and component. Does it include s-video? Digital in for my stereo? Thanks guys –Rochey

l Maximus l
02-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Hey all, I was just wondering what you get in regards to a/v connection wise with the premium xbox 360 bundle.

You see I have no t.v’s in my house that have component inputs. Only the standard yellow composite RCA plug and S-VIDEO.

I use an advanced av pack with my tv in my room so I can have the s-video and the digital input for my Dolby 5.1 setup on my original xbox.
With the premium X360 pack what cords come standard with it? I get the impression it allows only the standard composite and component. Does it include s-video? Digital in for my stereo? Thanks guys –Rochey

Hey Rochey....it comes with a combo wire that boasts Component and Composite video...and yes, there is an input for TOSLINK (Fiber Optic) audio in case you have 5.1 DD SS or just want to run digital audio to your receiver. :)

I will admit, though, that the standard cables that come with the system are pretty low quality compared to what after market companies are likely going to come out with in the near future. So, for now, I'd stick with these cables until a third party makes available some higher quality cables.

Rochey69r
02-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Thanks Max, my dads bringing home a projector from his work for the launch weekend it has S-VIDEO, COMPOSITE and VGA inputs. ive heard VGA is better than S-VIDEO and also better than component even though the projector dosnt support component. i was looking on the site and it have an s-video cable i can go out and buy or a vga cable. vga better than s-video yeh?

ll Mista GT ll
02-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks Max, my dads bringing home a projector from his work for the launch weekend it has S-VIDEO, COMPOSITE and VGA inputs. ive heard VGA is better than S-VIDEO and also better than component even though the projector dosnt support component. i was looking on the site and it have an s-video cable i can go out and buy or a vga cable. vga better than s-video yeh?

That is so cool how your dad is getting a projector just for the launch. I have a projecter too, but it really does look better on a HDTV then of the projector. Can a projector even be HDTV?

I'm using VGA on my 19 inch CRT Dell monitor, it is crystal clear. 10x better than the normal T.V. If you use a computer monitor, it is HDTV.

carlbme
02-22-2006, 01:34 PM
If you use a computer monitor, it is HDTV.

Not completely true. Alot of monitors (both CRT and LCD) cannot display in true HDTV resolution so while they may look quite good, they are not always HDTV quality.

ll Mista GT ll
02-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Not completely true. Alot of monitors (both CRT and LCD) cannot display in true HDTV resolution so while they may look quite good, they are not always HDTV quality.

Mine is :)

l Maximus l
02-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, there are two types of projectors. One is used for displaying a computer's image which usually has a VGA input and an HDTV projector will have Component inputs (also, it will have DVI and/or HDMI).

Essentially, Rochey, by using a VGA, an adapter is required and generally that projector is used for displaying a computer's image...basically acting as the monitor projected on the screen or wall.

For about the same amount of money, I would get an HDTV projector instead. A great, and affordable projector I would recommend is the extremely popular Infocus 4805. It's highest resolution is 480p; however, the image is breathtaking if being used in a dark colored room being projected on a screen. The reason for the dark colored room is generally something you want anyway while using a projector to eliminated or dramatically reduce ambient light (glare from bright or white walls).

Rochey69r
02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Well, there are two types of projectors. One is used for displaying a computer's image which usually has a VGA input and an HDTV projector will have Component inputs (also, it will have DVI and/or HDMI).

Essentially, Rochey, by using a VGA, an adapter is required and generally that projector is used for displaying a computer's image...basically acting as the monitor projected on the screen or wall.

For about the same amount of money, I would get an HDTV projector instead. A great, and affordable projector I would recommend is the extremely popular Infocus 4805. It's highest resolution is 480p; however, the image is breathtaking if being used in a dark colored room being projected on a screen. The reason for the dark colored room is generally something you want anyway while using a projector to eliminated or dramatically reduce ambient light (glare from bright or white walls).

Hey max, i dont think i was as clear as i could have been.

im not buying a projector...my dads work has a projector...he is bringing it home for 1 weekend for me to use with my xbox 360. it has VGA, S-VIDEO and COMPOSITE inputs. now i already know that s-video is better than composite because ive used the projector before with my original xbox. and the advanced av pack (s-video) comes up so much clearer than the regular cables.

now i realise the xbox 360 premium bundle comes with the COMPONENT HD AV CABLE http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360componenthdcable/

my question is..do i buy the VGA HD CABLE http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

or the S-VIDEO AV CABLE http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360svideocable/

what will get me a better picture on the projector? i recon the vga cable but i could be wrong.

l Maximus l
02-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Ah, gotcha...personally, I would go with the S-Video for two reasons: 1. It's a native connection for the projector and 2. It's something you can use on your TV when your father brings the projector back to work...unless you plan on playing on a computer monitor instead. If that's the case, I would go with the VGA.

Either way, you can't go wrong...it just depends on your circumstances.

I hope that helps! As you know, Composite isn't a satisfying option! :D

Rochey69r
02-23-2006, 01:36 AM
Ah, gotcha...personally, I would go with the S-Video for two reasons: 1. It's a native connection for the projector and 2. It's something you can use on your TV when your father brings the projector back to work...unless you plan on playing on a computer monitor instead. If that's the case, I would go with the VGA.

Either way, you can't go wrong...it just depends on your circumstances.

I hope that helps! As you know, Composite isn't a satisfying option! :D

fair enuff, the way i see it money is no object i dont mind forking out some cash if it means a superior quality picture. So far ive had 3 midnight launches in my life....1, Xbox....., Halo 2.....3 Xbox 360...

the first 2 were so cool...went out bought heaps of food, snaks, went overboard with the A/V setup, e.g. bought a $50 gold s-video cable just to get the best pic from the projector when halo 2 was released. so if VGA is better than s-video i dont care about spending some cash to make the night more memorable.

whats a native connection max?

Rochey69r
03-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Hey, Please check out this pic of the projector from my dads work. it dosnt say vga but reads 'RGB/YCbCr' is this a VGA connection point? heres a link to the pic of the projector

http://home.iprimus.com.au/rochey/

can someone please help me? max...anyone?!?!

Rochey69r
03-04-2006, 02:45 AM
anyone??

i saw a guy today at retravision and he mentioned something about an adapter that plugs into the RGB socket and has three RCA connections for component inputs. basically it turns that weird looking 'RCA/YCbCr' into three RCA's red,green blue (for component connection. anyone heard of this or got any suggestions?

thanks

ShadedNine
03-04-2006, 08:53 PM
anyone??

i saw a guy today at retravision and he mentioned something about an adapter that plugs into the RGB socket and has three RCA connections for component inputs. basically it turns that weird looking 'RCA/YCbCr' into three RCA's red,green blue (for component connection. anyone heard of this or got any suggestions?

thanks

No adapter is neccessary if you buy the VGA cable, which gives you a DB15 plug (which is that one on the back of the projo). Technically, VGA (db15) *is* a YCbCr (component) signal, with a few extra wires used to pass information for plug & play (not a factor here).

You can get adapters that convert to and from DB15 to Phono plugs, but the price will be pretty similar to simply buying MS's VGA cable.
The advantage of the VGA cable though, is it unlocks the extra 4:3 resolutions on the 360, since there's little doubt that projector he's bringing home is NOT 16:9 widescreen.

@Cadillax: Yes, you sure can get HDTV projectors. I have a Panasonic AE700, which is a 720p LCD projector. The catch though, is that they start around $2000 CAD (for high def). Still, in my books, that's not too much to pay for a 125" display :D

Rochey69r
03-04-2006, 11:20 PM
No adapter is neccessary if you buy the VGA cable, which gives you a DB15 plug (which is that one on the back of the projo). Technically, VGA (db15) *is* a YCbCr (component) signal, with a few extra wires used to pass information for plug & play (not a factor here).

You can get adapters that convert to and from DB15 to Phono plugs, but the price will be pretty similar to simply buying MS's VGA cable.
The advantage of the VGA cable though, is it unlocks the extra 4:3 resolutions on the 360, since there's little doubt that projector he's bringing home is NOT 16:9 widescreen.

@Cadillax: Yes, you sure can get HDTV projectors. I have a Panasonic AE700, which is a 720p LCD projector. The catch though, is that they start around $2000 CAD (for high def). Still, in my books, that's not too much to pay for a 125" display :D

the projector hes bringing home has 4:3 and 16:9 but i much prefer 16:9.

i play my current xbox on it with an advanced av pack (s-video cable) it its a pretty good picture.

did you chekc the link i posted Cadillax? it shows the thing im talking about. i explained it to a guy today and he recons the VGA cable will plug into that.