PDA

View Full Version : Which one are you getting, NHL 2k7 or NHL 07' ?

mrmp3
09-08-2006, 10:39 PM
After trying both demos, I'm hard pressed to choose a favorite. First off, I didn't play last years 2k6 on 360, so I don't know how the graphics compare. I honestly think 07' wins w/ face graphics. They just seem more detailed whereas 2k7's seem like high res versions of 2k6's faces on Xbox (kinda like what Gun did with Xbox and 360 version). However, on ice and board reflections definitely go to 2k7. 07' if you mess around in shootout and get near the boards you notice they are there in some places and just cuts out in certain boards. As for body definition and jersey graphics, I think it's a matter of preference cause I think both are pretty good.

I like the right analog stick controlling your stick in 07'. I don't think its instituted to perfection, and it definitely has a learning curve, but to say I felt kind of useless on the breakaway when I played 2k7 is an understatement.

As for puck physics, well I think they are honestly both good. I saw no cases of morphing to the goalies stick in 2k7 and only saw it once in 07'. However, 07's goalies whenever the puck went behind them actually like tried to turn around and grab it with their glove. They were constantly trying to look at the puck. 2k7 still has the same problem where the goalies kind of just moves in a curve (kind of like a rod hockey goalie would) and it's painfully obvious when you do a one timer from one red dot to another (if the goalie doesn't move that quick).

As for skating animations, hands down 2k7 wins. No starting and stopping on the dime. If you miss a check, you've missed your chance, it's not easy to recover. Turning your guy in 07' is just not fluid and looks just like it did on the last gen. There's not enough animation frames dedicated to transitioning. However, I didn't test this in 2k7 or 07' (though cuz of the demo I couldn't) but the 07' director said that if you took a one timer skating backwards it would be slower which if you've played the past few offerings from both companies you know that it didn't matter what direction you faced or how you were moving long as you hit the shot button he'd do a full powered slapshot one-timer. This could be a possibility in 2k7 cuz of the momentum effecting animation when you skate but only time will tell.

If noone has read the interview over at XBA, they state fighting is also done ala Fight Night. Hands down, 07' will continue to win with the best fighting system in hockey. Though 2k7's skating animations are solid, you can't just assume this will transfer over to the fighting system.

Also, I'd like to draw a conclusion on checking, but I can't. From what I saw in 07's checking animations on video there aren't any monster hits. 2k7 didn't either, but both games probably are on default settings. For those who don't know, if you turn checking power up a bit (don't crank it all the way cuz then you got guys like Jagr flattening Pronger) you see more of the earth-shattering hits. So I guess only when retail comes out will we know.

I don't like how 07' is planning on taking out the effectiveness of one-timers. True, it's been the money maker in games past and it shouldn't be that successful, but even though many one-timers aren't scored in hockey, if you combine how many are scored with how many goals are scored after a rebound from a one-timer, it would be fairly high, so hopefully the realistic puck physics they advertise will leave a pretty meaty rebound off of one-timers.

I'm drawn down the line. Try out both yourself, don't listen to other people, both have their pluses, you just gotta see'em.

Oh also I forgot to mention in 2k7, the guy actually spins around to take the shot. So even though your guy might not be facing it, the game won't just show the guy swinging his stick and the puck going towards the net, the guy will actually turn around and swing at the puck.

predatorprime
09-09-2006, 12:13 AM
I've downloaded the NHL 07 demo and I hate it... The new shoot stick stuff is garbage. I'm not sure what EA is thinking. I hope they don't screw up FIFA like this. I think I'll have to pass on both as the 2K series has never been very good for hockey anyways

m4oH
09-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Where's the neither option?

NiNeBReaKeR
09-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Where's the neither option?
Thats what i was looking for.

I dont play football games,so i didnt take time to read everything you wrote,but did you really right all that yourself or is it copy and pasted?

EDIT-ya i read the topic wrong.........my bad

m4oH
09-09-2006, 12:06 PM
NHL=Hockey. Wow. Lol.

NiNeBReaKeR
09-09-2006, 12:08 PM
NHL=Hockey. Wow.
hahahaha........................ima go to sleep now i cant read ****..............:sleeping:

EDIT- o boy ima about to get flamed big time for that one......

mrmp3
09-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Sorry I figured only people who were interested in hockey (not football :rolleyes: :D ) would wanna vote.

And yea I wrote it myself. I had been reading Major Nelson's blog and it was just fanboy mania with people taking EA's side or 2k's side with not very good arguments. Not sure why everyone hates EA Sports, just because they haven't made any leaps and bounds in their football games doesn't mean they botch all their others (FIFA's still fun) so I figured I'd try both out and give an opinion.

Oh and I forgot to mention the cinemotion on 2k7. There's a lot of cutscenes. The coach said something different the 3 times I watched it (though I also took 3 different teams so iono if that affects it or not). My suggestion would be to get enjoyment out of it (cuz I think that would get old fast if you watched it everytime) skip the opening cutscene until you get to the playoffs or stanley cup finals. Just my suggestion. The new camera angle isn't amazing or anything. It's not straight up overhead, it's a little lower and angled to the left a bit. It shows more of ice for whoever has the puck but it felt off a little when I was trying to line up hits. Its a pretty good angle because its zoomed in close enough to see detail. I mean if the camera's so far out, what's the point of wasting the time on graphics? And yea there's also like a fog whenever your going down ice. Another thing I noticed is that whoever was defending the top net always won (me v. my brother). Just seems easier to score on the bottom.

CrazyCougar
09-09-2006, 11:22 PM
This is a simple decision for me. Having been a 2K hockey player the past few years and watching the game decline in quality the past 2 years, I am extremely disappointed to see that 2K7 is the same game as it was in 2K6 and 2K5 for that matter. Cinemotion? BAh...Gimmick. Gameplay is a complete one timer fest. BAH! The graphics are NOT next gen at all. Jagged edges everywhere. Even on the player models. And the ice fog doesnt help cover that up either.

As for EA. I am looking forward to trying out EA Hockey for the first time since NHL 95 on the genesis. Yup, its been that long! LOL! The new shot stick is very intriguing and looks like it could be the new trend in hockey. The graphics on the EA demo are absolutely amazing. And ya have to like the ESPN branding...

2K7 = Same car, new paint job. For me, that just doesnt work as I was fed up with the game after 2K6. If it was $19.99, I still dont think it would be worth it, especially if you have 2K6. Same game folks. 2K has dropped the ball in the title that they have been the dominant one over the past few years. They need to revamp the whole game for next year otherwise EA will once again take over another sport.

darkmatter13
09-10-2006, 12:33 PM
i say nhl 07, never really liked the nhl 2k hockey games too much since 2k5. NHL 07 seemes to be trying to add new innovating gameplay. (plus i thought i heard that u could switch back to the more traditional way of controlling the player if u so choose) The Nhl 2k7 demo felt kinda like 2k6 and i just see that many improvements from last years version.