PDA

View Full Version : Format War Could be Over!?

vman
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
What does this mean to the console war?

New DVD could end format war

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (Reuters) -- The format war around next generation DVDs may be over before it has begun, thanks to a breakthrough from a British media technology company.

Britain-based New Medium Enterprises (NME) said on Tuesday it had solved a technical production problem that makes it possible to produce a cheap multiple-layer DVD disk containing one film in different, competing formats.

"Current technologies to create multiple layer disks mostly don't work. We've created a technology for mass production of multiple layers that does not suffer from the well known problem of low yields," said NME Chief Technology Officer Eugene Levich.

A low yield means that many DVDs coming off the manufacturing lines are not working and have to be discarded.

The production costs of a multi-layer DVD using the new NME technology are estimated to be around 9 cents, compared with the 6 cents for a standard single-layer play-back DVD, according to Dutch company ODMS, one of the world's leading makers of production lines for optical disks.

This 50 percent cost increase compares favorably with the current generation of multi-layer recordable DVD disks which cost 3 to 5 times as much to produce than a single layer disk, due to low yields.

The technological breakthrough comes one week after three employees at movie studio Warner Bros. filed a patent for the application of multiple formats on a single DVD disc.

"There's no collision between Warner and us. They patent the application, we are patenting the technology. These are complementary patents. I'm glad it's happened. Warner opened our eyes, because it shows they really want to do this and create multi-format, multi-layer disks," Levich said.

Time Warner is the world's largest media company and owns Warner Bros. Former Warner Home Video President James Cardwell joined NME as a board member last month.

Nipped in the bud?

Multiple format DVD disks can solve the emerging war between the two new high capacity DVD formats: Blu-Ray, which is backed by Sony Corp., and Toshiba-supported HD-DVD.

High capacity DVD disks are needed to store high definition movies on a single disk. Movies stored in high definition provide five to six times more picture detail than standard definition which is used in normal DVDs.

Hollywood studios have been choosing sides in the DVD format war, each supporting one of the two formats. Some have said they will produce films in both, in addition to the standard DVD format.

By putting the same film on a single disk in the two competing formats, movie studios can save money and consumers do not have to worry if they are buying the right disk for their player.

The technological breakthrough by NME was confirmed by ODMS.

"I can confirm this. We were very skeptical when NME approached us. We have experience with producing dual layer recordable DVD discs and the yield is below 50 percent. But their technology gives a much higher yield and also brings other cost savings," said ODMS Chief Executive Jadranko Dovic.

ODMS said it will have the first prototype production line using NME's technology running by early 2007.

NME said it had also created new technology for the machines which have to read and write the disk, which is another bottleneck with multi-layer disks. The current generation of DVD players can read up to two layers.

NME has created DVD disks with up to 10 different layers that were still readable. It has created its own player, but it is willing to license the technology to mainstream consumer electronics companies, Levich said.

Movies on a DVD are stored at different depths depending on the technology. Blu-Ray discs store information only 0.1 millimeter from the surface while HD-DVD discs store it at 0.6 millimeters.

Movies longer than two hours would need to be stored on two layers of the same format very close to each other.
Source (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/09/26/dvd.formats.reut/index.html)

Sony has put everything behind Blu-ray and subsequently the PS3 and if this thing does what it says it does, then this is HUGE trouble for Sony.

thatdude222
09-26-2006, 07:33 PM
war? ill still be using my good ol' DVD's.

vman
09-26-2006, 07:34 PM
war? ill still be using my good ol' DVD's.
dude, did you even read the article? this is huge!

mattgame
09-26-2006, 07:47 PM
How long before they come out wih this?

vman
09-26-2006, 08:00 PM
gosh, does anyone actually read the article!?

ODMS said it will have the first prototype production line using NME's technology running by early 2007.

pjh13
09-26-2006, 08:24 PM
damn this is cool, so when does it come out? sorry i didnt want to take the time to read the article

vman
09-26-2006, 08:29 PM
damn this is cool, so when does it come out? sorry i didnt want to take the time to read the article
you could've just as easily have read my post above...

as early as 2007

NiNeBReaKeR
09-26-2006, 08:36 PM
you could've just as easily have read my post above...

as early as 2007
lol,pj,pay attention bro!

l Maximus l
09-27-2006, 01:07 AM
Wow...no matter what format, it will fit on the disc...

I can see it now: Sony Executives crying in the corner of their offices...no joke, dudes...this is a huge blow to Sony's Blu-Ray.

In the end, the consumer wins because of this...this is incredibly good news!

flyxboxfly
09-27-2006, 06:20 AM
i have noticed this week, 1 out of 10 times the blu-ray player accepts and plays a disc. blu-ray may die on it's own.

vman
09-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Wow...no matter what format, it will fit on the disc...

I can see it now: Sony Executives crying in the corner of their offices...no joke, dudes...this is a huge blow to Sony's Blu-Ray.

In the end, the consumer wins because of this...this is incredibly good news!
finally, someone has understood how important this is!

ive been getting virtually no response over at the Gametrailers.com forums (600 views). I dont know if they dont completely understand or if they're just in denial to the impending doom of their precious PS3 and possibly all of Sony.

J Dub
09-27-2006, 02:52 PM
So would this mean that this new disc would store Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and DVD formats all on one disc?

killerscott
09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
So would this mean that this new disc would store Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and DVD formats all on one disc? read the article foo. or the post like 2 posts up. anyways, yes it does. though this really shouldnt hurt sony. The reason people want it for the player is that they think it looks nicer, which i havnt decided... blueray is nice looking for sure, but if its all on one disk, those people buying the ps3 for its blueray still would benifit from it because they are choosing blueray over hd-dvd, and like that format more. Those buying the same without blueray arent going to get the same picture. You need the player to benifit. So really i dont think it will hurt them much more.

Soda Jones
09-27-2006, 08:13 PM
People are going to buy one format or the other for quality, so in the end, the fact that both versions are on one disk doesnt necessarily hurt Sony more than Microsoft, or vise versa....

We will have to wait and see how this affects the market.

pjh13
09-27-2006, 08:34 PM
lol,pj,pay attention bro!

lol i know that was the joke

vman
09-27-2006, 08:37 PM
the fact that both versions are on one disk doesnt necessarily hurt Sony more than Microsoft, or vise versa....
ah yes, but now neither have an advantage!!!

mattgame
09-27-2006, 09:00 PM
gosh, does anyone actually read the article!?

I don't have time to read long ass posts. Just break it down and stop beyatching!

vman
09-27-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't have time to read long ass posts. Just break it down and stop beyatching!
HAHAH mattgame...

l Maximus l
09-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Mattgame! Seriously, dude..are you ever going to accept my friend's request for XBL!?!? It's a short message :D

Back on topic...seriously, guys...with all due respect, if a person buys Blu-Ray for it's looks over HD-DVD, you may need to see a psychologist.

Like the article points out, any data found on any disc can now fit on one disc...and this truly is extremely good news for all of us, the end users..

mattgame
09-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Now see that's old school XBA!!! Vman can take a joke without the aid of a smilie or some crap!! It's great news Vman ggodd shat!

And Max send the request to Mattgame009. I will definitely answer.:cheers:

l Maximus l
09-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Now see that's old school XBA!!! Vman can take a joke without the aid of a smilie or some crap!! It's great news Vman ggodd shat!

And Max send the request to Mattgame009. I will definitely answer.:cheers:

Gotcha...had to throw another 0 in there, huh!? :D

thatdude222
10-01-2006, 04:01 PM
looks cool. hope the price isnt too high. i dont even have an HDTV, so DVD's are perfectly fine for me.

killerscott
10-02-2006, 11:12 PM
ah yes, but now neither have an advantage!!!

well just because you have a disk with blueray on it doesnt mean your gamesystem/dvd player plays the blueray so yes one has an advantage. we still dont know which really. its an opinion.

vman
10-02-2006, 11:31 PM
well just because you have a disk with blueray on it doesnt mean your gamesystem/dvd player plays the blueray so yes one has an advantage. we still dont know which really. its an opinion.
why would it need to play the blu-ray version when it has its own HD-DVD version on the same disc?

TheCovenant
10-09-2006, 12:44 AM
i thought blu ray and hd dvd are just different ways of acheiving the same picture? blu ray simply has more storage. form what i remember, hd dvd is doing 1080p, which is just as high as blu ray...

killerscott
10-09-2006, 03:19 PM
why would it need to play the blu-ray version when it has its own HD-DVD version on the same disc?

Because they have the bluray player.

vman
10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Because they have the bluray player.
you lost me...

Nurb
10-09-2006, 09:12 PM
good news, but I still don't want to buy my DVD collection over again, I finished updating it after my VHS collection.