PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Developers Take Next Gen Survey

Nato King
10-06-2006, 01:31 PM
We all know what fanboys think about the consoles of their choice (as well as their thoughts about the others). The question is what do Japanese game developers think about the next-gen consoles? Famitsu Mag took it upon themselves to ask 58 game developers (directors, programmers and designers) from 19 game companies about next-gen consoles and here are the results.

Which next-gen console will send cash registers ringing:
Wii (60%)
PS3 (37%)
Xbox 360's (3%)

Which system they prefer for game development:
Wii (63%)
PS3 (32%)
Xbox 360s (5%)

Which next-gen console they want for Christmas:
Wii (49%)
PS3 (42%)
Xbox 360 (9%)

Most anticipated PS3's games:
Metal Gear Solid 4 (12 votes)
Final Fantasy XIII (10 votes)
The Eye of Judgment (7 votes)
Afrika (6 votes)
Heavenly Sword (4 votes).
Runners up: Bladestorm, Gran Turismo HD, Lair and Resistance: Fall of Man

Most anticipated Xbox360 games:
Blue Dragon (18 votes)
Lost Odyssey (14 votes)
Culdecept Saga (8 votes)
Dead Rising (4 votes)
Gundam Operation Troy (4 votes).
Runners up: Lost Planet, Gears of War, Riot Act and Idol Master

Most anticipated Wii games:
The Legend of Zelda (26 votes)
Super Mario Galaxy (8 votes)
Wii Sports (5 votes)
Animal Crossing (3 votes)
Smash Brothers X (3 votes)
Runners up: WarioWare, Fire Emblem, Sonic and the Secret Rings and Elebits

What they expect from PS3:
Extremely high expectations (48%)
High expectations (32%)
Don't expect much (18%)

What they expect from Xbox 360:
Not expecting much (45%)
High expectations (40%)
Extremely high expectations (13%)

What they expect from Wii:
Extremely high expectations (63%)
High expectations (36%)
Not expecting much (1%)

Favorite PS3 part:
Visual power (19 votes)
Overall hardware specs (10 votes)
Cell's computation abilities (9 votes)
Built-in hard disk (3 votes)
Blu-Ray (3 votes).
Also mentioned: PSP connectivity, online functionality, the 6-axis control system and brand power associated with PlayStation and Blu-Ray.

Favorite Xbox 360 part:
Xbox Live (18 votes)
System's ease of development (13 votes)
Connectivity with Windows Vista (12 votes)
Visual power (6 votes)
Overall hardware balance (4 votes).
Also mentioned: the system's demo download service, ranking system and strength of sales in the North American market

Favorite Wii part:
Wiimote (34 votes)
Wii Connect 24 (9 votes)
Virtual Console (6 votes)
Ease of development (4 votes)
Console price (3 votes)
Also mentioned: hardware size, the concept of moving your body, and the focus on light users

There you have it. It shouldn't come as a Taser-like shock to Xbox 360 fanboys that their console didn't score very well. MS has been struggling with getting the Xbox 360 off the ground in the Japanese market. The company, however, is doubling its efforts to keep up with its upcoming Japanese counterparts. But as far as the Japanese game developers are concerned, the next-gen console wars is shaping up to be a duke-fest between Wii and PS3, with Nintendo's console having the upperhand.

http://www.qj.net/Survey-says-Japanese-developers-rate-the-next-gen-consoles/pg/49/aid/68462

vman
10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
interesting to see it from their point of view. Hopefully Wii takes over in Japan.

Zytius
10-06-2006, 05:06 PM
hopefully Sakaguchi can open the door for 360 in japan. then the coolness of xbox live will take over.

l Maximus l
10-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Personally, I'm not too concerned with Japan. It appears that we have Tecmo and Team Ninja's loyalty - even on an exclusive basis, however, any other Japanese developer's games don't really appeal to me very much...but, then again, I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing either.

But, for the most part, I can basically care less about Japan because Microsoft is based here and they aren't exactly going anywhere - they are here to stay. I prefer North American games for the most part anyway. Racers and shooters are my forte :)

predatorprime
10-07-2006, 09:45 AM
If Microsoft can buy some Square-Enix support we're golden. Maybe Namco too, I'd like to see Tekken on PS3 and Soul Calibur on 360. Microsoft has Capcom and Tecmo already. Maybe some better support from sega, you know other than the worlds worst sonic game

y2kash_14
10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
we don't have Team Ninja's complete loyalty.....Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a PS3 exclusive

Shadow20002
10-16-2006, 10:03 AM
we don't have Team Ninja's complete loyalty.....Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a PS3 exclusive

That's was the main point....

Xbox 360 is gonna be a pure console for FPS Shooters... no more great action a la Ninja Gaiden-style.

FuNkY mOnK
10-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Same here max i couldn't give a rats a ss about all the RPG and whateverthefcuk they play and like. lets not forget here that we dropped a huge fcukin bomb on their heads, so it's likely that some still hold this to us,what other excuse can it be? the 360 is a hot gaming machine second to none .But i go for what works for me, PS2 never did it and PS3 is no better. My name is FuNkY mOnK and I'm a 360 Gamer.

mattgame
10-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Check todays news, Bill and the gang have not conceded Japan just yet.

y2kash_14
10-19-2006, 05:49 PM
lets not forget here that we dropped a huge fcukin bomb on their heads, so it's likely that some still hold this to us,what other excuse can it be?

haha, I hope you were joking. Japanese gamers are a whole different breed than American gamers. I think Maxi speaks for most American gamers when he mentioned racing games and shooting games is all he needs and when it comes to that, the 360's got it locked. But Japanese gamers have a totally different taste. For example, their most anticipated titles are RPGs....whereas Gears of War was a measly runner up. I really do wish Microsoft would cater more to our Japanese crowd (buying Rare was a good move, but they aren't doing sh** for us) Because I also seek more variety than just playing more shooting games. You have to also remember that the series' that Sony has (Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy) have been long time fan favorites. They both date back to the NES. Xbox, being a fairly new system, doesn't have that much history in our games. Our most notable icon is still only 5 years old. The MGS and FF series will sell PS3's, unless it's ported, but I don't see that happening. Heck a couple of my buddies are planning on getting a PS3 just for Final Fantasy XIII and I was considering getting it for Metal Gear Solid 4.

it's not because we dropped bombs on their head. :p

FuNkY mOnK
10-20-2006, 07:23 AM
haha, I hope you were joking.

it's not because we dropped bombs on their head. :p

Some wise person told me once never discuss politics or religion-but this is my problem in life. What would happen if - hypothetically speaking now,Hitler's family decided to make video games, open your mind here for a minute, do you think anyone not just the Jews, would give this family a dime or the sweat off their balls to say the least.But what's 200,000 compared to 6 million, you're right.

y2kash_14
10-20-2006, 02:06 PM
do you really believe that the degree to which people hate hitler is the same as how much the japanese hate the united states? It was a counter-attack. They were at fault to begin with.

mattgame
10-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Some wise person told me once never discuss politics or religion-but this is my problem in life. What would happen if - hypothetically speaking now,Hitler's family decided to make video games, open your mind here for a minute, do you think anyone not just the Jews, would give this family a dime or the sweat off their balls to say the least.But what's 200,000 compared to 6 million, you're right.

Your post frightened me and at the same time made me pity you. Seek therapy or a deep hole whichever you can reach first.:cheers:

FuNkY mOnK
10-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Your post frightened me and at the same time made me pity you. Seek therapy or a deep hole whichever you can reach first.:cheers:
If this post frightened you wait until you leave mommy and daddy and step into the real world.Oh and about that hole, the one in you're head would probably be deep enough

FuNkY mOnK
10-20-2006, 11:48 PM
do you really believe that the degree to which people hate hitler is the same as how much the japanese hate the united states? It was a counter-attack. They were at fault to begin with.
I stop here, like the wise person said never talk religion or politics. he's so right.