PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Vs PS3

mattgame
11-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Now that we know the specs of the PS3 what's up? Is the PS3 more powerful than the 360? Will it produce better graphics and can it even be faster than the 360? Or have we all conceded that Sony trumped Microsoft?

Discuss

Lemon
11-04-2006, 10:25 PM
umm a link to the specs of ps3 may help.

mattgame
11-04-2006, 10:37 PM
umm a link to the specs of ps3 may help.

You lazy bastage! That's why I said discuss! I'm not looking up shat! You guys look it up and let. me. know.:bang:

Lemon
11-04-2006, 10:41 PM
well j00 know what? it sounded like you had the link right next to your mouse clicker just waiting to be clicked on. it could've been in another tab, or in a different window...i dont know. but what i do know is that i didnt know that you didnt know where the specs were.

if anyone is lazy enough to find it let me know too :cuss:

predatorprime
11-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Ok... I'm going to try and explain the basics here from the info I've read;

1)Processing Power - PS3 has the lead here in core processing power, from what I understand though the multiple cores of the PS3 can not be used independantly from one another which the 360 multi-core can. In the example of Assassins Creed it allows for better enemy AI on the 360.
I think this will basic net out to no difference in the long run, developers will learn to deal with both.

2) Memory - this one is clear cut... 360 has 512 Ram the PS3 does not

3) Graphics - Technical crap aside the cards are very similar, PS3 graphic processor allows for a higher poly count but the ram on the 360 allows for better textures.
I give this one to 360 just because the texturing makes a big difference where the polys doesn't really

4) Media - Disc space, this is where the 360 has failed us, in theory. Most games for PS3 do not need the full single layer BluRay disc...the guys making Resistance are just being lazy and not compressing anything. That being said I think it gives the PS3 a slight advantage. This won't really be realized until the cost of BluRay comes down, because its still cheaper right now to make 2 DVD than 1 BluRay

5) Hardrive Space - ummm... who cares... if you need more than 20 gigs you have too many games. Sony is using the space to allow for game installs, mainly because the games will load slowly otherwise

6) Internet for Gaming - Wait and see. I really have no faith at all in Sonys ability to compete with Live. I just don't see it happening.

7) Internet for Media - This will come down to cost. Sony has a huge advantage here because of Sony Pictures and Sony Music.

8) For the Developers - 360 developement kit is extremely easy to use, most PC game code can be ported over to the 360. This opens the door for lots of developers...unfortunately most of will probably be bad. PS3 on the other hand is a custom system built off of linux, making it a little more difficult to develop for

To conclude my analysis I believe that there is not a huge difference between the PS3 and the 360 unless you want a BluRay player. The games will look and play pretty much the same. Later in the generation you may have multiDVD games thats all. I have a feeling that Sony is going to nickel and dime via their marketplace system even worse that M$ is, in the hopes that they can recoupe the money they lose on the system. Both are technically excellent systems, it will come down to first party titles and exclusives( which there will be a lot less of).

I'm happy with my 360 and I might buy a Wii, but after the disappointment (to me atleast) of the PS2 and the PSP I will never buy a Sony system again

mattgame
11-04-2006, 10:54 PM
After reading what you wrote, and I appreciate it, I would give the edge to the 360. The X factor being cost.

Can the 360 be pushed any further? Why did the ps3 leave out memory?

Lemon
11-04-2006, 10:55 PM
great analysis predator, i agree with basically all that you've said

btw: how long till the wii comes out? 3 weeks?

cdg5551
11-04-2006, 11:37 PM
i'm pretty sure this will make you decide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaGScKpZuU

cdg5551
11-04-2006, 11:55 PM
good job A+
Ok... I'm going to try and explain the basics here from the info I've read;

1)Processing Power - PS3 has the lead here in core processing power, from what I understand though the multiple cores of the PS3 can not be used independantly from one another which the 360 multi-core can. In the example of Assassins Creed it allows for better enemy AI on the 360.
I think this will basic net out to no difference in the long run, developers will learn to deal with both.

2) Memory - this one is clear cut... 360 has 512 Ram the PS3 does not

3) Graphics - Technical crap aside the cards are very similar, PS3 graphic processor allows for a higher poly count but the ram on the 360 allows for better textures.
I give this one to 360 just because the texturing makes a big difference where the polys doesn't really

4) Media - Disc space, this is where the 360 has failed us, in theory. Most games for PS3 do not need the full single layer BluRay disc...the guys making Resistance are just being lazy and not compressing anything. That being said I think it gives the PS3 a slight advantage. This won't really be realized until the cost of BluRay comes down, because its still cheaper right now to make 2 DVD than 1 BluRay

5) Hardrive Space - ummm... who cares... if you need more than 20 gigs you have too many games. Sony is using the space to allow for game installs, mainly because the games will load slowly otherwise

6) Internet for Gaming - Wait and see. I really have no faith at all in Sonys ability to compete with Live. I just don't see it happening.

7) Internet for Media - This will come down to cost. Sony has a huge advantage here because of Sony Pictures and Sony Music.

8) For the Developers - 360 developement kit is extremely easy to use, most PC game code can be ported over to the 360. This opens the door for lots of developers...unfortunately most of will probably be bad. PS3 on the other hand is a custom system built off of linux, making it a little more difficult to develop for

To conclude my analysis I believe that there is not a huge difference between the PS3 and the 360 unless you want a BluRay player. The games will look and play pretty much the same. Later in the generation you may have multiDVD games thats all. I have a feeling that Sony is going to nickel and dime via their marketplace system even worse that M$ is, in the hopes that they can recoupe the money they lose on the system. Both are technically excellent systems, it will come down to first party titles and exclusives( which there will be a lot less of).

I'm happy with my 360 and I might buy a Wii, but after the disappointment (to me atleast) of the PS2 and the PSP I will never buy a Sony system again

y2kash_14
11-05-2006, 12:09 AM
i'm pretty sure this will make you decide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaGScKpZuU

Alright we get it, you don't like the commercial, i swear this is the 5th time i seen you post this link...

PS3 didn't leave out memory, it just has a weaker 256 MB Ram...And I really do think that sooner or later, (not MUCH later) we'll feel the pains of having such a tiny hardrive...You'll definitely feel it once you start downloading more Live Arcade titles, D/L content for games, demos, etc. Plus I know a ton of people who love the custom soundtrack feature....those 20 gigs will start to look really tiny, really soon. I'm already down to 4 gigs. The success of a system is always based on its own fanbase...Sony admittedly has a much larger fanbase than Microsoft and definitely has about 50% of Japan on their side (the other 50% for Wii :p )

I can't get one, but I'm thinking this will be a much closer race than I first thought it would be.

y2kash_14
11-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Product Name: PlayStation 3

Logo: PLAYSTATION(R)3

CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
Total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound:

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

Memory:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:

Main RAM -- 25.6GB/s
VRAM -- 22.4GB/s
RSX -- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB -- 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance:

2 TFLOPS

Storage:

Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O

USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication:

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:

Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media:

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

the specs for the lazy bums :cheers:

thatdude222
11-05-2006, 08:20 AM
who cares, its too expensive anyways.

predatorprime
11-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Alright we get it, you don't like the commercial, i swear this is the 5th time i seen you post this link...

PS3 didn't leave out memory, it just has a weaker 256 MB Ram...And I really do think that sooner or later, (not MUCH later) we'll feel the pains of having such a tiny hardrive...You'll definitely feel it once you start downloading more Live Arcade titles, D/L content for games, demos, etc. Plus I know a ton of people who love the custom soundtrack feature....those 20 gigs will start to look really tiny, really soon. I'm already down to 4 gigs. The success of a system is always based on its own fanbase...Sony admittedly has a much larger fanbase than Microsoft and definitely has about 50% of Japan on their side (the other 50% for Wii :p )

I can't get one, but I'm thinking this will be a much closer race than I first thought it would be.

Hopefully the 100 gig HD is real and not a fake (rumored from one of the x06 events). Also the PS3 HD is large to accommodate software installs, Ridge Racer is over 5 gigs and so is Resistance, 2 games 10 gigs, what the F*** is that... I have 15 360 games plus 14 Xbla game and I have 9.5 gigs left. Also as far as the custom sound tracks go the streaming from PC is a lot better, and Vista will only improve that.
I think M$ lack of fan base out side of North America will hurt them, mind you Sony isn't doing themselves any favors delaying the PS3 in Europe. I guess we will have to see. I'm curious on why so much is based on how things do in Japan. Its a very small market compared to NA and Europe if M$ wins those 2 then they can drop Japan all together.
Look how well Turbo Graphic 16 and Neo Geo did with only Japanese sales.
My prediction is still 360, Wii, then PS3 lagging a ways behind. Unless Sony starts producing something other than games that could run on a 360 no one is going to see the value of the extra $200.
Anyways I think my post is a little random but what ever...I forgot what else I had to say :confused:

Oh and the specs you posted are old ones... one of the HDMI ports was pulled and I think there is only one output to Ethernet now

mattgame
11-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Wait a minute, software installs? 5 gigs? Are you sure?

predatorprime
11-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Wait a minute, software installs? 5 gigs? Are you sure?

"Ridge Racer 7 makes extensive use of the PS3's hard disk. In addition to saving your game and saving future download contents, the hard disk is used for speeding up gameplay. The game does a hard disk install to the tune of five gigabytes."

from ps3.ign.com/articles/742/742347p1.html
you can read the article if you want but it more pro sony crap...christ sony is gay LOL

its not required it just speeds up the otherwise brutal 2x bluray drive... oh and from a gamepro article apparently the whole game is just over 5 gigs... nice use of the new media there fellas

mattgame
11-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Damn, so the 60 gigs basically means just about as much as the 360's 20.