PDA

View Full Version : Been playing GoW for several hours now..

cybrdude
11-08-2006, 04:48 AM
and it ROCKS.. The game is better than when I saw it at E3 2005 and 2006. The game play is innovative and smart, but requires THOUGHT and at times patience.. No run and gun, which is very nice as it adds a new dimension to how you attack your enemies. The cover system is sweet and works very well once you get used to simply pressing the A button without pushing the analog stick in different directions (to screw you up). The AI is smart and aggressive. I have no complaints about the game except that I wish checkpoints were a little more frequent as the game is HARD (but I am playing on Hardcore setting).

Visuals of course are absolutely insane (but you guys know this)..

NOTE: Comparisons to HALO is not needed as both of these games are very different from each. The keyword is "different", as that is exactly what GEARS is! Keep your mind OPEN or do not bother to play (cause you will simply end up complaining or be disappointed).

GEARS is GREAT.. :hail:

Later..

ShaDovV RyDer
11-08-2006, 05:47 AM
What's the multiplayer like? I read a review that said with the gametypes they have now Gears won't be a game we're gonna be playing a year from now like Halo 2 was. Where do you stand on that and is the whole multiplayer setup as far as getting into games and stuff pretty tight?

cybrdude
11-08-2006, 05:55 AM
What's the multiplayer like? I read a review that said with the gametypes they have now Gears won't be a game we're gonna be playing a year from now like Halo 2 was. Where do you stand on that and is the whole multiplayer setup as far as getting into games and stuff pretty tight?

Getting ready to play some Multi right now.. Be back in a few..

Later..

y2kash_14
11-08-2006, 07:55 AM

I believe the reason for that is there aren't any pre-game lobbies (fixable) and there is very limited customization (specifically custom weapon sets)

cybrdude
11-08-2006, 08:04 AM
I like the Multiplayer.. Can you create custom lobbies if you do not want to matchmake. So far I have only played Warzone. The Multiplayer is much like the single player in terms of gameplay.. You can use cover, the chainsaw, shotgun, etc.. But you must work as a team to be effective and you can also revive fallen teammates. Simply this mode is fun, which is what matters most..

Later..

Nato King
11-08-2006, 03:05 PM
I should be getting my copy of this game tomorrow. I just haven't had the time to go around and pick it up.

l Maximus l
11-08-2006, 06:42 PM
I'll have to wait until Saturday to get this game and I probably won't be able to play until Monday! I'm having family and close friends over on Saturday for my B-Day party...then Sunday is all about football...any game can wait, even Gears of War. Monday is likely going to be the first time I check this game out...even then, it may not be until Tuesday since Monday Night Football is on ;)

predatorprime
11-08-2006, 07:38 PM
The games amazing... thats all I can say
I got my copy after work. Controls take about 5 minutes of play but then its on.

ShaDovV RyDer
11-09-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm guessing this game is a must. I'll be picking this one up this weekend.

y2kash_14
11-09-2006, 06:11 PM
I'll have to wait until Saturday to get this game and I probably won't be able to play until Monday! I'm having family and close friends over on Saturday for my B-Day party...then Sunday is all about football...any game can wait, even Gears of War. Monday is likely going to be the first time I check this game out...even then, it may not be until Tuesday since Monday Night Football is on ;)

Liar....you're already playing it, haha

l Maximus l
11-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Liar....you're already playing it, haha

bwahaha...Dude, a buddy of mine brought it over! I couldn't resist! Anyway, the game is FREAKIN' SICK! I played for almost 3 hours or so...best damn three hours I've had playing any shooter in years! This game ownz me!

I can't wait until I get my own copy...damn! I told my buddy that he better take it away, otherwise, I will play it before I'm supposed to own it :rofl:

Bad ass game, gentlemen....simply bad ass!

I can't wait to check out the multi-player now...I bet it plays a lot like the Campaign does...I played it only on Casual, but, I think I'm going to step it up to Hardcore when I get the game. I played with a buddy with on-line coop and it ran flawlessly!

So kick ass!

cybrdude
11-09-2006, 06:55 PM

Screw the football game.. Play this as soon as possible.. If it were my B-day party, it would be a GEARS party.. It is your B-day.. Do what you like.. BE :cool:

Later..

l Maximus l
11-09-2006, 07:29 PM
I feel ya, cybrdude...I really do - But, I'm having a bunch of family and a ton of buddies over...I'm sure we'll play a little bit on Saturday, but, we all are going to drink some serious frosty beverages all day...should be good times!

The game ownz me, though...damn, I can't wait to get my own copy!

cybrdude
11-09-2006, 07:33 PM
I feel ya, cybrdude...I really do - But, I'm having a bunch of family and a ton of buddies over...I'm sure we'll play a little bit on Saturday, but, we all are going to drink some serious frosty beverages all day...should be good times!

The game ownz me, though...damn, I can't wait to get my own copy!

Just giving you a hard time.. Enjoy your B-day and the party.. :).. Then look forward to the game (with a hangover and all)..

Later..

thatdude222
11-09-2006, 08:58 PM
is it system selling good?

predatorprime
11-09-2006, 09:03 PM
is it system selling good?

In one word...yes... This is the Halo before Halo.
Christ man the game gets your adrenaline pumping... I thought for sure the berserker was going to mess my A$$ up bad, and thats on casual

greenpyro
11-09-2006, 10:00 PM

ooooohhhh, another november birthday! mine was yesterday (wed, the 8th). point is, happy birthday!

but back to the topic at hand, yes, Gears of War is fuggin awesome! yes, it is system-selling awesome! it is all around amazing in every way! if you own a 360, you must buy this game. it put me $90 in debt with my rents (blew all my money on a new cell), and it's totally and completely worth it! multi, single, co-op, it's ALL GREAT.

on a side note, did anyone besides me get the collector's edition of the game? i did, not just because i try to always get the c.e. version, but also cause it was the only version they had. i expected at best a metal case with an extra disc, and maybe a special instruction booklet, ala Halo 2. oh man, though, the collector's edition is a fuggin TANK! it's at least an inch and a half thick (about 2, maybe 2 and 1/2 regular dvd cases), and although not coming with that much extra (aside from a beautiful booklet of artowrk), it's worth it for that HUGE case alone! Believe me, you gotta see it to believe just how much of a tank it is. I literally had to take a second look, i did not believe my eyes!

mattgame
11-09-2006, 11:15 PM
I am not feeling this game

Just bullshattin, I anm having a ball!!

y2kash_14
11-10-2006, 01:10 AM
well i finally got my copy today...here's what my phone conversation was like

*ring ring*

Gamestop Associate - "Hello, thank you for calling Gamestop where Gears of War just came in, how may I help you?"

Me - ".......uh...thanks."

*click*

mattgame
11-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah, that's about right.:cheers:

l Maximus l
11-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Alright, brethren, before you all give me a hard time, my buddy that bought me the game for my birthday decided.....to give the game to me early! :rofl:

He bought a copy for himself and I picked up the game (he doesn't live too far - about 15 minutes) and I drove home, put the disc in and we played on-line Co-op on Casual. We played from 9:45pm - almost 3:00am. This game only gets better and better as you go through the Campaign...not a single time did I feel like we were doing repetitive stuff. Unbelievable game! The variety that this game has, the presentation, the gameplay, it so kick ass! One problem, though: Casual is a little too easy. I really need to step it up, but, I think I'm going to beat it on Casual first, though. I feel like I've almost beat the game on Casual (we are very far) - probably about an hour or so to go. I'm definately running through Hardcore and then Insane next.

I think it was Predatorprime that said that the controls only take about 5 minutes to get the hang of this game - that's exactly about how long it took me...after that, everything is second nature. Seriously, this game has to have the best Campaign on any shooter of all time. Welcome to true next gen, brethren! :cheers:

predatorprime
11-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Yep it was me... I got used to the controls. Still get slaughtered online though.
Big tip for those that have or are going to play online...Work with your team mates.
If you get singled out you're as good as dead. Oh and most of the time its not work using the chainsaw, it takes too long to start.

y2kash_14
11-10-2006, 12:25 PM
you kidding me? the chainsaw is so cheap online...

1. Sprint
2. Chainsaw
3. Repeat

the shotgun also owns....i'm doing fairly well online...coming in first on my team frequently

killerscott
11-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah i got it the day it came out and I'm loving it. I enjoy the gameplay much more then that of Halo I or Halo II. I havn't even screwed with any multiplayer yet. I'm so excited.

edit: also I know in that thread on limited edition games I said I would never buy one, but I've been waiting for this game since before the 360 came out so I had to!

l Maximus l
11-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I played on-line for about 2 games after I played the Campaign for over 5 hours. It was late as hell. It's interesting to see how the multi-players feels a lot like the Campaign in many ways. The graphics still hold true, the weapons hold true, too. It's so kick ass! I only played two rounds and my team won both.

Predatorprime is so right, though, you have to work together or you'll get slaughtered. In fact, I think this is precisely why we won. We stuck together and watch eachother's backs...I hope most people play this way.

By the way, if you're fortunate to pick up a Sniper, in long situations, it's, by far, the most ruthless weapon. It takes a long time to load, but, the key is not missing ;)

Also, I noticed that having higher ground is key. We played two different maps (again, I only played twice) and both times, we headed for higher ground. Great technique, especially if you have a Sniper.

One question, though, how do you stomp a downed opponent? I had to bust out my shotgun to spray his insides all over. By saving ammo, the stomp would have been a better solution. I couldn't figure it out. Do tell, brethren! :D

carlbme
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
I really need to stop reading this thread...it makes me want to cry as I can't have this game yet.

Luck Killer
11-10-2006, 01:37 PM
In order to do a stomp, just hit x by the opponent and it will do it. Or you can just pull out the chainsaw and kill them that way as well. Or any melee attack.

Kloije
11-10-2006, 02:35 PM
I just picked my special edition 2 hours ago. Wow, sorry Gow. Gonna get another controller right now so i can't get some split screen coop.

l Maximus l
11-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Co-Op is the way this game is supposed to be played, IMO. Since I'm not a die hard fan of split screen (I will do it only if it's split two-ways - fortunately, GoW doesn't provide more options than that - it only does it two ways). The best way to play is either System Link on two TVs and two 360s or Co-Op over XBox Live. If you get a buddy that will play with you that is also a good player, you should have a lot of success going through the game - much more than by yourself since your sqaud is generally not too helpful. They help deter the enemies and it's cool to have them on your side (and makes the game feel like you're on a battlefield).

But DEFINATELY do Co-op...seriously, it's so much damn fun! Best Co-Op game since Halo 1, IMO.

ChessPieceFace
11-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Alright, brethren, before you all give me a hard time, my buddy that bought me the game for my birthday decided.....to give the game to me early! :rofl:

He bought a copy for himself and I picked up the game (he doesn't live too far - about 15 minutes) and I drove home, put the disc in and we played on-line Co-op on Casual. We played from 9:45pm - almost 3:00am. This game only gets better and better as you go through the Campaign...not a single time did I feel like we were doing repetitive stuff. Unbelievable game! The variety that this game has, the presentation, the gameplay, it so kick ass! One problem, though: Casual is a little too easy. I really need to step it up, but, I think I'm going to beat it on Casual first, though. I feel like I've almost beat the game on Casual (we are very far) - probably about an hour or so to go. I'm definately running through Hardcore and then Insane next.

I think it was Predatorprime that said that the controls only take about 5 minutes to get the hang of this game - that's exactly about how long it took me...after that, everything is second nature. Seriously, this game has to have the best Campaign on any shooter of all time. Welcome to true next gen, brethren! :cheers:

I knew you would give in heh, we should all organize an XBA teams to play against each other

greenpyro
11-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I knew you would give in heh, we should all organize an XBA teams to play against each other

that's actually a super good idea. unfortunatly, i don't think the game supports clans or anything like that, however, we could always jsut get together and kick some serious ass!

l Maximus l
11-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Definately! We used to do that with the first Ghost Recon...members from XBA. I have a ton of you guys on my friend's list...just shoot me a friend request (anyone) and I'll accept...then we'll get a multi-player bash going. Right now, I have 8-10 friends on-line (atleast I did a few minutes ago) and many are from XBA. We should just get a bloodfest going, GoW style!

Shorezy
11-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Oh man you guys are KILLIN' me, i have to wait until next thursday and even then I may not get it..

I can't wait now, all I hear is amazing things, and that AD definitely sold me...Mad World, DAMN.

Glad you guys are enjoying it so much

l Maximus l
11-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Arguably, the best shooter ever. Takes the Shooter genre to the next level - sets new benchmark!

Nato King
11-11-2006, 04:32 AM
Definately! We used to do that with the first Ghost Recon...members from XBA. I have a ton of you guys on my friend's list...just shoot me a friend request (anyone) and I'll accept...then we'll get a multi-player bash going. Right now, I have 8-10 friends on-line (atleast I did a few minutes ago) and many are from XBA. We should just get a bloodfest going, GoW style!

I am going to be online today maximus if at anytime you see me playing the same game as you and you want to play some online with me send me a request. I can find some time to play. I saw like about 12 people online last night and 8 of them was playing GOW.

y2kash_14
11-11-2006, 05:05 AM
hey guys, i'm down for some Gears of War action....add me - Y2Kash

l Maximus l
11-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Definately, Serg and Y2Kash. I can't do it today, though, since I'm having a big B-Day bash at my place today - people are coming over in a couple hours and I'm getting ready for it. I may jump on, but, only to show other people the game that haven't seen it yet. So, don't feel offended if I don't jump on with you guys today. If you guys are on tomorrow or any other day, I will definately jump in the game - no question!

I just bought a new headset - my other one was broken when I bought my 360. Since I bought my 360 at launch, I didn't want to return it since there were none available and they didn't sell individual headsets at the time. Also, I never got around to buying one (kept forgetting), but, I bought one because of GoW.

J4320
11-12-2006, 12:08 AM
I love this game. I beat it on hardcore, now I need to beat it on insane.

Has anyone had their whole team use pistols? We were playing on escalate or something like that and we all used our pistols and shot/beat the hell out of the other team. It was crazy.

Nato King
11-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Ya I am down for a play y2kash I am on today and almost all day tomorrow.

Kortiz
11-12-2006, 02:13 PM
it's all about co-op, this game's replay value will be maximized in the co-op area....

CrazyCougar
11-12-2006, 02:41 PM

Oh the good ole days of Ghost Recon!!! I can still remember DZ and Casper laughing their asses off just watching me try to play that damn game! And if I got a kill on them, it was the end of the world..LOL!

greenpyro
11-12-2006, 03:39 PM
yeah i'd definatly be down for some online mp too, if anyone wants to do it up jsut add me, my gamertag is TyeDie.

cybrdude
11-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Finished the game on Hardcore last night. ;) Working on insane NOW.. And yes, Insane is insane (OMG)!

I have to say, GEARS is an awesome game that brings some fresh stuff to the table. I really want other games to take the approach of being different from other games in the same genre as GEARS has... Cliffy and EPIC are definitely my devs of the YEAR or last two YEARS for that fact.. :hail:

Later..

Zytius
11-12-2006, 04:48 PM
i say 9.5, if you have a 360 you should buy it.

J4320
11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Finished the game on Hardcore last night. ;) Working on insane NOW.. And yes, Insane is insane (OMG)!

I have to say, GEARS is an awesome game that brings some fresh stuff to the table. I really want other games to take the approach of being different from other games in the same genre as GEARS has... Cliffy and EPIC are definitely my devs of the YEAR or last two YEARS for that fact.. :hail:

Later..

I've been playing insane and it isn't that insane. It seems like you just take damage faster. The enemies seem to be the same.

This is my favorite 360 game. :hump:

l Maximus l
11-12-2006, 10:08 PM
I agree, I'm not too impressed with Insane, other than the fact that the game rocks! But, it's not as hard as I thought. I'm already halfway through. :)

J4320
11-12-2006, 10:16 PM
it's all about co-op, this game's replay value will be maximized in the co-op area....

I don't know dude... I'm obsessed with multiplayer.

Soda Jones
11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I have a confession to make. I don't own an xbox360, but I just opened up an xbox live account for the soul purpose of playing GOW multiplayer with my cousin every weekend.

I'm weak...so weak...... :)

My username is SodaJ0NES

that's S-o-d-a-J-zero-N-E-S

someone already took sodajones....

l Maximus l
11-13-2006, 10:10 PM
I don't know dude... I'm obsessed with multiplayer.

I went to Best Buy today with a buddy that finally got a 360. I asked one of the Best Buy employees if he has played GoW and he said "Oh, yes...a lot of it!"

He told me that the multi-player is off the hook. I have only played it two rounds and it was extremely late (more like "early") at night and I was dead tired. He said that once you figure out the maps and where the weapons are, it's addicting as hell.

From what I played (somewhat remember), it seemed to play a lot better than the campaign since real human opponents are much less predictable than artificial intelligence. I think it will kick ass, but, I definately want to do some memorizing of the maps before I officially go on-line. I haven't played GoW since Sunday and I want to beat the game on Insane before I jump on-line. Should be kick ass!

predatorprime
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Now they just need a sequel called Gears of Pinata... j/k
I think Gears is a great game, the multiplayer online is amazing... funny thing though... I think more things have got killed in my Viva Pinata garden than by me in Gear online...
Its all very sad really

J4320
11-13-2006, 11:40 PM
I went to Best Buy today with a buddy that finally got a 360. I asked one of the Best Buy employees if he has played GoW and he said "Oh, yes...a lot of it!"

He told me that the multi-player is off the hook. I have only played it two rounds and it was extremely late (more like "early") at night and I was dead tired. He said that once you figure out the maps and where the weapons are, it's addicting as hell.

From what I played (somewhat remember), it seemed to play a lot better than the campaign since real human opponents are much less predictable than artificial intelligence. I think it will kick ass, but, I definately want to do some memorizing of the maps before I officially go on-line. I haven't played GoW since Sunday and I want to beat the game on Insane before I jump on-line. Should be kick ass!

Lol you've barely played it? I like multiplayer more than the campaign. I'll add you next time I get on and we'll have sexytime.

For some reason the multiplayer reminds me of a mix between Splinter Cell and Halo. What you gotta do is take the enemies by surprise. I throw smoke in front of me and run around and attack them from the rear while I have someone else keep them pinned down from the front.

Anyway, there is a lot of strategy and talking involved in muliplayer.

killerscott
11-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Hurray I beat it. Fun stuff.

l Maximus l
11-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Lol you've barely played it? I like multiplayer more than the campaign. I'll add you next time I get on and we'll have sexytime.

For some reason the multiplayer reminds me of a mix between Splinter Cell and Halo. What you gotta do is take the enemies by surprise. I throw smoke in front of me and run around and attack them from the rear while I have someone else keep them pinned down from the front.

Anyway, there is a lot of strategy and talking involved in muliplayer.

I'll definately be playing more once I have time to finish off Insane. At this point, I'm still where I left off only because I haven't had a lot of time to play in the last couple days (work often gets in the way!).

From what I recall, it was great; however, I definately would like to do a walk-through of all the multi-player maps before I go on-line. I do it with all of my games just so I have a hearty heads-up where most of the weapons are located, spots of attack, and map design. It usually makes for a better experience on-line - atleast for me.

I usually always beat the campaign in most games before going on-line. I did this with GRAW, too.