PDA

View Full Version : I guess we ran out of ideas.. GOW = RSV

Reclaimer
01-19-2007, 07:21 AM
I bought Gears of War last night. It's a fantastic game, I'm not far in the game but I got my feet wet in it. It's a good break from all the Rainbow Six Vegas I've been playing. But something occurred to me. Is the gaming industry running out of creative game play ideas?

Gears of War:
Squad based shooter, largely in first person perspective, player must utilize cover to survive engagements, player can use blindfire to lay nonprecise coverfire, theres a girl in a helicopter telling you what to do.

Rainbow Six Vegas:
Squad based shooter, in first person perspective, player must utilize cover to survive engagements, player can use blindfire to lay nonprecise coverfire, theres a girl in a helicopter telling you what to do.

Then I realized something.. my most favorite game on the original Xbox besides Conflict Desert Storm was:

Kill.Switch
Single player 3rd person shooter, player must utilize cover to survive engagements, players can use blindfire to lay nonprecise coverfire, theres a disembodied voice of a girl that tells you what to do.

Granted every game differs in it's unique styling and neat things to do. (I like the sprint in GOW. )
But is it a good thing for games to ape each other like this?
Don't jump down my throat by missing the point. I'm not saying they're all identical games. I'm saying that they all resemble each other's control technique and play styles nearly identically.

Is this going to be the new standard?
Look at all the FPS games out there in the past. Move, shoot, jump, change guns, reload, melee. Ala Halo, Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter and so on.
Look at all the racing games..
Race and drift. Race and drift
By the way, the only thing Vegas doesn't have that GOW has that it shares with Kill.Switch is a melee attack.

Anyway, just something I noticed. Seems like games come in styles, and if this is the new generation of gaming and it brings this style, consider me sold.

HaZarD SFD
01-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Well you got a damn good point. Thanks for making all games boring now! Arse:mad:

j/k Lets make a game Idea thread!

Reclaimer
01-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Well you got a damn good point. Thanks for making all games boring now! Arse:mad:

Wow, I haven't been called an arse since I did did a joint counter narcotics mission in the Caribbean with the Royal Marines from the HMS Boxer (F92) That was like in 1997.

:cool:

Anyway, it was just a simple observation. After playing Vegas with Nth Turtle, then switching over to GOW, I noticed it.

Both games have "macroed-maneuvers" even. In GOW, if you come up to an actionable object, theres a set of moves you can choose to perform by direction pad presses.

In Vegas, in certain places, theres preset maneuvers you can do by selecting from a list.
I feel like it's the same concept.

Highlite23
01-19-2007, 12:09 PM
I agree with you Reclaimer, the industry is kind of just shuffling the deck and changing the paint job on certain games. Some just go on the strength of the Developer, you mention Kill Switch, one of my favorite original Xbox Tiles, but not a big seller. And yet, we have two high profile games out using the same basic concept.

I guess time will tell, but I find myself shying away from certain games because its the same game with a new look.

Develpoers need to step up and start getting more creative.

ChessPieceFace
01-19-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't think it will change till the way we control games do. You have mouse and keyboard or controller. How many innovative idea's can you come up ? The graphics and the physics is all fantastic , but where is the hardware innovation ? Only thing so far is the Wii trying something new with its control scheme.

Unreal
01-20-2007, 12:47 PM
I am not really going to get into where the differrences are between the games but I will agree there are similiarities. BTW, besides the sniper rifle, where in GOW is it most played in FP perspective?

NiNeBReaKeR
01-20-2007, 01:18 PM

he really does..im up for that game idea thread bro,sounds like fun.

Reclaimer
01-20-2007, 05:55 PM
I am not really going to get into where the differrences are between the games but I will agree there are similiarities. BTW, besides the sniper rifle, where in GOW is it most played in FP perspective?

When you're braced up against cover, you can switch to targeting mode with reticule to fire precisely and that's with your standard rifle. You're looking right down the barrel of the gun. You have to go to that mode, because the way I see it, you're just wasting rounds firing into oblivion unless you're actually aiming.

The way I was playing it, run, run, run to cover. Spray to suppress and work a better position, use better position to aim and eliminate.

Much like Vegas. Except when you play Team Sharpshooter, where it all goes out the window and turns into a real world Halo 2 Slayer game.

I wasn't really saying "hey, look all these games use the same control schemes." Because that's not the truth.
I'm just saying that these games are starting to feel similar using the same game play elements.
Elements, not actual controller schemes.

Whisper
01-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Much like Vegas. Except when you play Team Sharpshooter, where it all goes out the window and turns into a real world Halo 2 Slayer game.

You must lose a lot of TS games, I don't recall ever playing R6 like I play games such as Halo.

Reclaimer
01-20-2007, 10:01 PM
You must lose a lot of TS games, I don't recall ever playing R6 like I play games such as Halo.

I'm sure you don't represent the masses that play R6. My observations in the last few games is that people do not use the cover available, they just run in and shoot up everything every time.

But to answer your question, yeah I lose a lot. I place in the top 1 and 2 of the losing team but it doesn't matter. I've played it online 3 times now and I don't think I've been on a winning team. One of my last games was a 10 minute round, I had 15 kills and 9 deaths, one guy on my team had 2 kills and 23 deaths.
I guess that's just the way it is.

DemonicTiamat
01-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Gears of War:
Squad based shooter, largely in first person perspective, player must utilize cover to survive engagements, player can use blindfire to lay nonprecise coverfire, theres a girl in a helicopter telling you what to do.

i hate being picky but gears is third person :D :cool:

But i totally agree, alot of games released now seem to have very similar base elements, Like the "cover and heal" thing you see in: GOW, RSV, COD2/3, ect. where you can take so much damage, duck for cover and heal.
action shooters are becoming way too similar in many ways.

EMX
01-21-2007, 09:07 AM
I guess they're just the coolest ideas to have, so might as well have them.

Reclaimer
01-21-2007, 03:38 PM
i hate being picky but gears is third person :D :cool:

But i totally agree, alot of games released now seem to have very similar base elements, Like the "cover and heal" thing you see in: GOW, RSV, COD2/3, ect. where you can take so much damage, duck for cover and heal.
action shooters are becoming way too similar in many ways.

I guess I should have realized that going into this topic, this would largely end up being a tit-for-tat discussion based on everyone's own playing style.

Yes like I told that kid up there earlier, I'm fully aware that GOW is in 3rd person.
But I guess nobody uses the first person mode.
I do. Run in 3rd person, cover fire in 3rd person, switch to gun cam to attack what I want when I actually want to kill something quickly.

I guess if you don't do that, then GOW is not largely in FPS mode.
Silly me to state an opinion... But, I digress. I made my point that two really good games on the 360 share common game play factors.

Now.. next two posts tell me something completely unrelated to the topic.. I don't know, like: You must suck at RS6 even though you only played it online a few times and somebody tell me again that GOW is not a FPS game despite the fact that I explained what I meant.

killerscott
01-22-2007, 01:12 PM
It's a first person feel.