PDA

View Full Version : Its a Madden 2008 Orgasm

RockTheCasba
05-21-2007, 12:31 AM
so much new info and screens and stuff. It says this is the next gen madden we have been hoping for. I cant wait for this game.

Madden 08 (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/789/789799p1.html)

Madden NFL 08 Hands-on
It's a Madden holiday. Exclusive impressions, movie, screens, developer blog, podcast and more.
by Jonathan Miller

May 18, 2007 - We weren't expecting much. The most hallowed sports franchise of all time has fallen on hard times lately, so when Lead Producer David Ortiz booted up Madden NFL 08 in our office this week, we had our doubts.

Sure, on a recent visit to EA Tiburon we saw some early gameplay videos and listened as producers explained their grandiose plans for the future. Owner mode will be back, fantasy drafts will be back, player editing will be back. On the field, EA preached dynamic gameplay, dynamic gameplay, dynamic gameplay. We got excited at the possibilities, but this is all lip service until you actually get to play for yourself.

And after playing for ourselves, we can safely say this is the next-gen Madden you've been waiting for. On the field, the action is smooth and responsive. Players simply do the things you want them to do. Visually, it's a gem -- running at 60 frames per second with a branching animation system that not only looks great, but leaves control in the hands of the player. Off the field, presentation is kicked up a notch with full-motion videos of your favorite team playing on the jumbotron of your personal trophy room, and you're one step away from jumping into Franchise, Owner or Superstar modes.

Click here for an exclusive gameplay trailer of Madden 08 in action.
On the field, Philip Rivers hands off to LaDainian Tomlinson on a simple dive play. But no LT run is ever simple. He runs straight though an arm tackle, covering up the ball and pumping his knees. A safety tries to join in on the gang tackle, grabs LT's waist and tries to spin the MVP to the turf. LT simply goes with it, regains his balance and accelerates to the outside and rips off a big gain.

In another sequence, Carson Palmer throws to Chad Johnson on a comeback route on the right sideline. A cornerback goes for a big hit that Johnson simply avoids. Then, dancing left and right, he picks his way through the secondary on his way to the end zone and the Ocho Cinco Riverdance.

Some call it responsiveness. Others call it twitch. Whatever you want to call it, Madden 08 is fast and fun. Remember back in the days when you didn't need the juke button to lose a defender? You could simply hesitate, wait for a defender to commit, and run out of the way. It's strange how the Madden team has looked back at what made past games great. It's brought back all those old twitch elements and eliminated old exploits like corner routes and Michael Vick domination, and we're not talking about the championship pit bull circuit. A new fatigue system ensures Vick won't run horizontal for a hundred yards before outrunning the defense to the pylon for six. Vick will still get his, but his runs will play out more like real football where he just breaks ankles the old fashioned way. Then throw in next-gen graphics, animations, gang tackling, mid-air collisions, Hit Stick 2.0, and improved AI (especially on the deep ball) and you are left with what may be the most enjoyable Madden in years.

Where has Franchise been? Click here to find out in our new developer blog.
Fans of the user catch are going to love the extra control you have over receivers. Making a subtle change of direction no longer takes you out of the play, ready to throw your controller at the screen as the pass falls to the grass incomplete. Instead, you can fire the ball downfield, switch to a receiver, come right back to the ball and leap for a spectacular catch.

Well, not everyone can make a spectacular catch. Brandon Stokely isn't going to leap over Dre' Bly and pull it down with one hand. Randy Moss will, because he's a weapon, and the spectacular catch is his ability. In Madden 08 EA introduces a new weapon system, highlighting star players and telling you how to take advantage of the skills. It's a sort of cross between Winning Eleven's star players and NBA Live's superstar moves. Ray Lewis is a brick wall defender (and a smart defender -- stars can be a weapon in more ways than one.) But hey, let's not discount Stokley -- he's a weapon in his own third receiver in the slot sort of way: he's a damn fine possession receiver. There are 24 weapon categories in all.

At the team select screen, you can see just how many weapons each team has -- the Pats lead the pack, unsurprisingly, with 14. The important thing to note is that these weapons are more than just icons on the field that run faster than the rest of the players. John Lynch is not going to be out of position in the secondary. Brian Urlacher is going to hit you a lot harder than Walt Harris.

Even before the game you'll be on the lookout for weapons. Marshall Faulk hosts the pregame "Marshall's Minute" in which he'll preview the star players and even predict the score. Then when players run out of the tunnel, weapons will get their own special introduction as well. Where EA is hoping the weapon system will really take off is in Franchise mode as you try to form the perfect team based on your play preferences. For a complete breakdown of the weapon system and four other things you need to know about Madden 08, check out Jon Robinson's preview over at IGN Sports.

The Bengals have weapons. Seriously. Check out J-Rob's thoughts on Madden 08.
Off the field the trophy room looks similar to the shrine in the upcoming NCAA Football 08, with shelves lining the walls ready to show off the signs of your greatness. Anytime you're on the sticks, you can earn a trophy, says Ortiz. There are your typical tasks, like throwing for 400 yards in a game or winning the Super Bowl in Franchise. Online, you can even risk trophies in head-to-head matchups, so your collection may never be complete unless you are at the top of the EA leaderboards. The highlights of the trophy room are the new EA Challenge rings that look similar to Super Bowl rings. As you move up in skill and experience and collect more trophies, you can customize each of the five rings with as much ice as you like, as well as the team logos and colors of your choice.

The user catch is back.
There is still a lot more to talk about. Franchise mode is taking a new direction -- plus all the alternate uniforms will be included this time around. Owner mode is even deeper. There are more online options (still only two players online, but four players offline). And Superstar is supposed to be improved. Still, it's the improvements on the field, the sweet branching animations and feeling of complete control that have us hyped on Madden. We haven't felt this way for years, and it feels good again.

For your own complete Madden holiday, click on the video link below for an exclusive new gameplay trailer. And be sure to check out our exclusive new Madden 08 Developer Blog on Club IGN, and listen to Friday's Gamescoop Podcast with an interview with David Ortiz, the Big Papi of Madden himself.

mattgame
05-21-2007, 06:11 AM
This better be damnit! I don't like to be teased.

addict
05-21-2007, 07:54 AM
I did not read it. I just hope its better than '04-'07.

Shawn-XBA
05-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Madden 08 is looking and sounding very good, but thats what competition does right? Now that 2k Sports is coming out with All-Pro Football 2k8, EA is finally putting some effort into Madden. I will be picking up 2k8 for sure, I may pick up Madden as well for NFL though.

CrazyCougar
05-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Honestly, I cant say if 2K is causing EA to step up. I truly think the Madden franchise was in a rebuilding process on the next gen, and its finally back to where we expect it to be, and where it once was on the original consoles. I know personally, I dont give a rat's ass about 2K's game. Walter Payton is anything but Chicago colors just wont be the same. And who wants to play with non nfl teams.....They may as well went and licensed the CFL at least! Then at least there would be some reality in there. LOL!

I know I am looking forward to Madden, but more so looking forward to NCAA as it seems to be the best football game on the market for about 5 years running now.

CarGuy
05-21-2007, 02:10 PM
i still play 2K5 so even though i'd love to have licensed teams im betting 2k will be better.. however.. um.. i heard they werent going to have a franchise mode.. :(

mattgame
05-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Honestly, I cant say if 2K is causing EA to step up. I truly think the Madden franchise was in a rebuilding process on the next gen, and its finally back to where we expect it to be, and where it once was on the original consoles. I know personally, I dont give a rat's ass about 2K's game. Walter Payton is anything but Chicago colors just wont be the same. And who wants to play with non nfl teams.....They may as well went and licensed the CFL at least! Then at least there would be some reality in there. LOL!

I know I am looking forward to Madden, but more so looking forward to NCAA as it seems to be the best football game on the market for about 5 years running now.

Yep, I could see myself playing 2K's game online if the gameplay is good but that's about it. If Madden stepped up their game then I'm on it.

tsrdawg
05-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Some of us have been around since Madden football on the genesis...the graphics have gotten prettier but the gameplay has been marginal since the 93 and 96 versions...

I dont wanna play an offensively lopsided game where QB's throw for 700 yards and RBs run for 300 more...Video game football is all about balance, which Madden seriously lacks...

I know you young bucks will forever praise the hell outta Madden...but its been played out for a long time...NFL 2k5 is still the best football game---EA realized this and decided to monopolize the market and shove Madden down your throats...

I dont care about NFL licensing because it has nothing to do with gameplay...Besides, I d prefer to roll with legends anyway...I d rather play with Jim Brown and Lester Hayes anyday instead of Shaun Alexander or Brian Urlacher...

Yeah I m pumped for NFL 2k8...about time!!

CrazyCougar
05-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Hmmm, are you saying you dont find lopsided offensive games in 2K football games? You gotta be kidding. In the football genre, thats all it is anymore. no matter who makes it.

RockTheCasba
05-22-2007, 06:18 PM
i agree with cougar all football games are lopsided. I wish they coiuld fix this tho

Shawn-XBA
05-23-2007, 09:13 AM
EA has revealed that Madden 08 and NCAA Football 08 will feature enhanced realism, find out more here (http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=8150)

Well, with that news I am really looking forward to Madden. Glad to hear they are adding real-time weather conditions and real-world sports scores and radio clips from ESPN in addition to video highlights from the NFL.

RockTheCasba
05-23-2007, 01:55 PM
man madden 08 is looking pretty sweet guys could this be the end of suckyness?

mattgame
05-23-2007, 06:02 PM
man madden 08 is looking pretty sweet guys could this be the end of suckyness?

My **** is hard.:hail: :cheers:

RockTheCasba
05-23-2007, 07:27 PM
man u must love madden

mattgame
05-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Since the olden days .