PDA

View Full Version : Cheers for Valve, Jeers for Microsoft

Nurb
05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
http://megagames.com/news/html/pc/valvesdownloadablecontentstaysfree.shtml

"We make more money because more people buy it, not because we try and nickel-and-dime the same customers", said Team Fortress 2 designer Robin Walker. "You buy the product, you get the content."

Few years ago, charging for additional game content was unthinkable but since Microsoft launched Xbox Live, it has been pushing towards microtransactions as a means of continuing to extract development capital from completed games. This trend has find its way to pc in games like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion where players paid for "official mods" (the first official mod was merely a better horse!).

Valve is not giving away free additional content for charity though. "Our philosophy there is, if you buy the product, we put more content out to keep the game interesting, we sell more products", said Valve's marketing director Doug Lombardi. "[In multiplayer games] the content you're playing is being created by the players you're playing against, so the more people that get into the game, the more content you're going to have," Valve's Charlie Brown concurred.

Valve is also planning to offer in game advertising, mainly as a way for small developers to be able to offer casual games at reduced prices or even for free while gaining profits. Valve suggests that new games would be offered at full price with no advertisements, or for free or reduced price with advertisements and/or anyway in between.

Finally, more people speaking out against charges for content! Its not OK to keep milking your customers, it costs loyalty

wasabi_
05-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Good for the valve guys.

I always knew they would redeem themselves from the wretched system known as steam.

I always knew valve had it in them, I love valve.

addict
05-23-2007, 06:56 PM
I can barely afford the games, let alone more content.

I think its ok to charge for gamer pics, themes, movies, tv shows, ect...

But when it comes to more content for the games...

ITS ****ING BULL****

Nurb
05-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Its why I'm not on LIVE anymore:

cost of console + cost of LIVE kit + live service + broadband + Game = no fukkin way I'm paying 4 dollars for a couple new maps, Microsoft!

HaZarD SFD
05-24-2007, 09:07 AM
THEN DONT BUY EM.. I dont.. mind you the arcade games are sick.. DOOM was well worth
the buy.

Valve rules all! :hump:

CrazyCougar
05-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Yup, its your choice....Buy it or dont. I have no issue with purchasing content that I want, and leaving content I dont sit on the marketplace. If Valve isnt going to charge for content, then thats great, but thats their loss.

Shawn-XBA
05-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Yup, its your choice....Buy it or dont. I have no issue with purchasing content that I want, and leaving content I dont sit on the marketplace. If Valve isnt going to charge for content, then thats great, but thats their loss.
Agreed, I buy the content that I want and pass on the content I don't want. I think its great that Valve isn't going to charge for content, would like to see more developers releasing free content.

CrazyCougar
05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Oh I agree, I hope more follow suit as well, but I definitely dont have a problem with premium DLC.

l Maximus l
05-24-2007, 09:59 PM
The only problem I have with charging for content is if there is a situation where you cannot continue playing the game unless you pay for the new content. I'm not sure if the new Halo 2 maps cost anything any more, but, without downloading them, a person cannot play several matchmaking gametypes.

I bought them early, so, I'm not sure if they are free now or not.