PDA

View Full Version : Forza Motorsport 2 - Q & A

Conchord
06-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Question 1: Is there a way to sell rewarded cars for more than 100 credits? I don't want all these fricken cars in my garage, but I feel like its such a waste giving them back for 100 bones.

Question 2: will I be able to race any car I want to in later races, right now all it is is by class, and I am trying to level up one car (Golf), but I can't do that if it isn't eligible for races.

Question 3: Would swapping engines be a good idea, or should I wait until I have a lot more money? Since changing engines will remove my current upgrades, initially it will be slower, but over time, if i add all the same upgrades to the new engine, will it be faster than the original one?

Shawn-XBA
06-14-2007, 08:12 PM
1: The only way that I think you can get more is if you put a paint job on it and put it up on the auction house. I haven't tried to put an upgrade in the car and try to sell it, that may jack up the price.

2. I'm still trying to figure that one out myself. I was upgrading just one car as well, but now I know that I need different cars to race different tournaments so now I'm buying different cars instead of upgrading just one car. It may let you race any car once you beat the game.

3. Don't know the answer to that, haven't tried it personally.

P.S.- I can't see your sig

Conchord
06-14-2007, 08:40 PM
How bout now?

AlphaRaptor
06-14-2007, 10:02 PM
3. Ive yet to dive into engine swapping, I haven't put more than 10hrs on the game yet. But id venture to say that an engine swap may or may not benefit you in the long run. Because different engines have different torque curves, one may suit your needs while another may not. Look for an engine with the power band your looking for and start from there. Peak HP doesn't hold as much water as its made out to.

Conchord
06-14-2007, 10:08 PM
3. Ive yet to dive into engine swapping, I haven't put more than 10hrs on the game yet. But id venture to say that an engine swap may or may not benefit you in the long run. Because different engines have different torque curves, one may suit your needs while another may not. Look for an engine with the power band your looking for and start from there. Peak HP doesn't hold as much water as its made out to.

Just swapped engines and parts for my Golf GTi... wow. Acceleration just went from 7.1 to 10. Handling and braking weren't affected, and Top Speed went up to 7.9 from 6.1.

:hail: :hump: ;)

Reclaimer
06-15-2007, 02:18 AM
I'm apprehensive about doing an engine swap too. I've been playing the game for 2 days now and I've built up the stock Lexus 300 to a car that runs 558 horsepower and can run 208 MPH in about a half a lap on the Nissan short speed circuit. It's an odd feeling knowing that I have a Lexus that can do that, but I just wanted to get the hang of the game so I built it up and it has everything you can possibly do to it except for the engine swap. When I saw the horsepower deduction I decided against it. It's a Class A car now and I'm not sure if I'm going to have to rebuy all the stuff I put in it already.

I'm a little fed up with my garage of 13 cars and they're only worth a 100 bucks a piece because they're "gifts". I have 3 daily drivers as far as I'm concerned at the moment.
My Super Lexus, the Tommy Kaira Skyline which kicks mighty ass without any work done to it and the 60's era Dodge Charger which I'm building up.

I understand I do need other cars to complete other circuits, I'll worry about that when I get more money because I'm dumping it all in the Charger right now.

---

You know what I hate about this game? If you bump an AI opponent you get docked time and I understand that. If they crash into you, run you off the road or just force you into the dirt and you're just running the race you still get penalty time against you.

Conchord
06-15-2007, 02:47 AM
Yea, the penalties suck.

As for the engine swap, it maxed out my acceleration, and increased everything else as well; I sold all the previous parts on the Golf to make some more cash, bought the engine, then rebought all the parts... also, you only have to buy and replace the engine parts, not the handling/braking parts. And adding the racing transmission to a higher power engine really boosts top speed.

CrazyCougar
06-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Penalties were put into the game to keep people from making contact. It only affects your lap time, and not your overall race time. But online people tend to go balls to the wall and not worry about contact so the penalty is a good thing.

Engine swaps are available on most cars and can be good or bad for what you are trying to do. Some engines have quicker accelleration while other have a better top speed. You'll have to install them to see what the benefit is, and then upgrade your parts for that specific engine.

All cars, once in your garage, are available for use throughout the entire career mode. But, you may have to upgrade or downgrade to meet certain race restrictions from time to time.

Ainokeatoo
06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
T-T Now I want this game.

AlphaRaptor
06-15-2007, 11:27 AM
You'll have to install them to see what the benefit is, and then upgrade your parts for that specific engine.

Naa just look at the torque curve, it'll tell what the engine can do and what its good for. If your not sure how to read the curves google it and read up, its not hard to understand. :)

CrazyCougar
06-15-2007, 12:42 PM
The torwue curve is helpful to those that can read it but doesnt necessarily benefit different driving styles. So installing the engines and driving them give you a much better feel for how they benefit or do not benefit your style.

mattgame
06-15-2007, 04:35 PM
How do you get your names on the cars?

Reclaimer
06-16-2007, 12:49 AM
How do you get your names on the cars?

In the paint job department, when you select to apply vinyl decals, they have a word fonts section. Just like making designs, you can write words and slap 'em on your whip.

I need to find a guide for how to properly get the most of your transmission and suspension. I also need to find official word on this power train swap thing. Like do I have to repurchase all the powertrain stuff I put in the car originally?

Right now I'm playing with the brakes. By default your car is set to 50/50 front and back braking power. In real life all cars put more power to the front brakes because that's where a majority of your stopping power comes from. That crazy thing called inertia, you know.
Like on a motorcycle, you stop the fastest with your front brake.

So.. I'm trying to get the best front / back percentage without turning my car into a drifter. I tend to think that by using less pressure in my rear wheels for more traction should help keep the car pretty tight in the turns with a lot of front brake force.
Not sure but I'll find something that works that doesn't cause me to fly off into the trees in a turn.

MXracer721
06-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Look for an engine with the power band your looking for and start from there.

Personally for me, I tend to lean towards the red or blue power bands, those are the best. I've tried the yellow and orange ones but they don't seem to work as well. ;)

Conchord
06-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Queens of the Stone Age are playing at ACL this year, I can't wait to see them live!

Also, it turns out the engine swap is the only way to maw out your car's stats. I would advise against upgrading AT ALL until you swap engines, because you won't be able to sell your other parts (which dont apply to the new engine) for more than 50% value.

I put in a new engine in my Camaro, and the difference can be seen, felt and heard. She screams now, boys, and it brings a tear to my eye.

Reclaimer
06-18-2007, 03:05 AM
Queens of the Stone Age are playing at ACL this year, I can't wait to see them live!

Also, it turns out the engine swap is the only way to maw out your car's stats. I would advise against upgrading AT ALL until you swap engines, because you won't be able to sell your other parts (which dont apply to the new engine) for more than 50% value.

I put in a new engine in my Camaro, and the difference can be seen, felt and heard. She screams now, boys, and it brings a tear to my eye.

Oh well, you convinced me. I guess I'll just go ahead and sell off everything but the suspension and brakes and other non engine related things and put a new powertrain in, then start over.

From here on out, I guess the first thing I do is put the best engine in and then start stacking parts on it. I wish I would have known this earlier.

CenterShock
06-18-2007, 06:42 AM
Question 2: will I be able to race any car I want to in later races, right now all it is is by class, and I am trying to level up one car (Golf), but I can't do that if it isn't eligible for races.

Once you level up so far more races open up to you and a lot of them are pretty specific so you will need to use a variety of different cars. Some races are class specific so technically you would need to just downgrade your Golf (or what ever your car of choice is) to get it into the clas needed but that may not be the best car for the class. What I do is check out the top online racers and use the car that has the top spots and then max out that car to the specific class.

Conchord
06-18-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure if the handling and braking parts need to be replaced. By the new engine before you sell off parts, it will automatically unistall what isn't needed; you don't want to sell the parts for less then 50% value, only to have to turn around and purchase them again.

wulkar
06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
i never go into the engine menu, i just work with what i have to start, upgrade that beast as much as i can and get used to it, my sparco car has 10 accel, 4 handling, and i deal with it.

Conchord
06-18-2007, 03:42 PM
That's what I am saying, though... if you swap engines as soon as possible instead of wasting money upgrading the weaker engine, you will end up with a faster car when all is said and done.

CMX Jedi
06-18-2007, 05:42 PM
I go straight for the engine swap, but thats just me...

Unreal
06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I havent done an engine swap yet. But I think I am going to and then tweak the car with upgrades based on the new engine.

mattgame
06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
do you guys tune your cars? If so teach me?

HaZarD SFD
06-21-2007, 08:14 PM
We all need to start a Forza Gift Club!

mattgame
06-21-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm in!

Reclaimer
06-22-2007, 01:28 AM
do you guys tune your cars? If so teach me?

What do you want to know?
I'm on my fourth car now since I've sold my Lexus. My BMW M3 is my new barn burner when I can't use my Skyline R3.

Buy the biggest engine first, then start piling the parts on after it. Just max out your car and don't neglect to buy good tires.

As for tuning? It's what you want it to do. You can sit there and bump around the transmission ratios and then have the car benchmarked without having to roll it on the track. Keep bench marking it until you start seeing the 0-60 times and top speeds you want to see, then take it to the track to see how it handles.

There is no real perfect way to tune a car. Everyone drives differently and how you tune it is according to your style.

In a street car, I don't care for my cars to be able to hit 200 MPH. I keep the transmissions on the quick acceleration side and at least be able to do 175 on a straightaway. Maybe 185 if it's a speed course.

I keep everything set for fast take offs and aggressive handling. I hate drifting turns, that eats up so much speed so I keep the rear of the car pretty glued down.

mattgame
06-22-2007, 02:54 PM
That's what I need to know exactly. I hate drifting like when you race the american muscle cars. I want my ass in instead of ass out.

Conchord
06-22-2007, 04:03 PM
I think its just the handling of the older cars, but I could be wrong.

CrazyCougar
06-22-2007, 10:45 PM
You can tune those older cars up pretty good to keep the back end from sliding out on you. But it does also depend on how you drive it thow as all those muscle cars have so much rear end torque.

mattgame
06-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Ituned one of my cars and I kept the back end from sliding out too much. I have to more informed about it but I gotta tell ya, I'm lovin' this game!

Conchord
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Yea when you figure out tuning go ahead and post it, because I take one look at the tuning menu, and I just go into a seizure.

mattgame
06-25-2007, 10:09 PM
It's a lot of trial and error but you'll get it.

Fanobills
07-01-2007, 08:41 PM
This game is freakin' awesome - too bad I can't find a code for a $#!tload of money so I can buy my Lotus Exige and Elise.

That's what I'm gunning for the most right now.

and it sucks that you only get 100CR every time you sell a car.

Conchord
07-02-2007, 07:39 PM
and it sucks that you only get 100CR every time you sell a car.

Yea I hear that... I think they do that to encourage creativity in the Livery editor when selling cars online... sucks for those without XBL.

This is the prime reason I am considering getting live (this and RSVegas)...

mattgame
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Special thanks to you, Reclaimer for the rides. I haven't tested them yet but believe me I truly appreciate it. Now tell me how do you gift cars?