PDA

View Full Version : Storyline

Highlite23
07-12-2007, 04:05 PM
How important is a storyline in a game? Are gamers mindless "Run and Gun" button mashers like they say? Or are we looking for the complete package when we play a game.

ChessPieceFace
07-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Example: What was Halo 2's weakness ?

ShannonX
07-12-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm all about the storyline, or at least I'm all about a game that at least attempts to have a storyline. I'll give exception to race games like Dirt where you just work your way through a career, just cause I love rally racing.

Even though I enjoy a good story, I'd like it to look good as well. I guess that puts me in the "want the whole package" camp.

wulkar
07-12-2007, 05:19 PM
i like story in games, i think it adds depth. i dont like it when games try to hard to have a story.

Rhiannon
07-12-2007, 06:09 PM
I much prefer a game to have a story. I would rather play a game like I read a book, waiting for the next chapter in the story it just makes it more engaging for me. Mindless running and gunning is so boring after a while it takes a good saga to hold my attention from start to finish.

Variation-XBA
07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Darkness was the last title I played with a story that actually made me want to continue playing and find out what happens next.

Ainokeatoo
07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Eh, it depends really, like with RsV I only play it to get the next rank, *although that has nothing to do with storyline* I find it difficult to finish story line games, it took me three months to actually get around to finishing the storyline of RsV

HaZarD SFD
07-13-2007, 01:56 PM
It all depends on the GAME!
Look at it this way.. Run and Gun games have a small or shorty storyline and lots of action. Where as the Complete Package has a Long Storyline, beautiful cutscenes that draw you in, emotional music, everything is tied in together, and most of all Characters that you can relate too.

RsV has a storyline but its mainly a run and gun and SCORE. Now Halo and Halo 2 IMHO had a great storyline. I loved those games because it makes you want to play to find out more.. but ok im going to say it. Yes run and gun a bit. Also the music used adds to the feel of the game itself. Example : the ending of Halo 2. OMG I was hung up so hard I almost threw my controller. I wanted to go and kill them all but I had to wait. Now I dont know any Hardcore Rare RPG players there are out here but in my experiences with games I do have to say XENOGEARS on the PS1 had the best storyline have ever seen. The intro movie hit you back in your seat and the gameplay and cutscenes kept you guessing what was going on. The twists around each corner made for the best game I have played for an RPG. Mind you its an easy 18HR game no matter how good you are.

thats my .2c