PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero 3 or Rock Band? POLL!!!

l Maximus l
08-14-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm curious, my XBA Brethren, which game would you say is going to be better?

Keep in mind, the first time I have even seen Guitar Hero 2 was only 2 weeks ago. I had no idea what I was missing! My initial thought of the game was that it was kind of cheesy...like an instrument version of Fuzion Frenzy or something. But, when I actually played the game, I found myself completely absorbed by the fun factor and really enjoying the music while playing. I also liked how the intensity of the game can be geared for novice and expert players and still have an equal good time.

So, the bottom-line is, I loved the game but I am wondering what you guys think would be a better purchase? Guitar Hero 3 or Rock Band?

The thing I am most interested in is downloadable content - to be able to download tons of additional songs and what I want to download.

Your advice?

Variation-XBA
08-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Well I know I'm a special case and getting both, but the reason I'm looking forward to Rockband MORE is the drums.

I'm quite good at Guitar, and I know GH3 will be harder/new songs etc, but Drums (I'll even play the guitar on RB) is what I want to try and master next.

FatBox
08-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Well I know I'm a special case and getting both, but the reason I'm looking forward to Rockband MORE is the drums.

I'm quite good at Guitar, and I know GH3 will be harder/new songs etc, but Drums (I'll even play the guitar on RB) is what I want to try and master next.

Yeah same here. I'm looking forward to the drums so I can't wait for Rock Band.

Reclaimer
08-14-2007, 07:23 PM

I'm with you on this. When GS3 comes out, I just plan to get the game only. I'm don't care for the wireless guitars, if it even has them. I have two guitars already for GS2. I'll just get the game and play it.

Then when Rockband comes out, I'll get that too for the drums.

Variation-XBA
08-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Yup same, getting GH3 game only, then with Rockband picking up a guitar (I need those extra buttons!) and drums. I'll get the mic if my fiance wants to sing, but I doubt it.

l Maximus l
08-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Do both games have the guitar with the extra buttons?

Reclaimer
08-14-2007, 10:33 PM

Rockband's guitars have the same buttons from the lower part of the fretboard also up higher on the neck for fancy solos. However the article I read was that either way, the GH2 guitars will work since theres no difference really in the buttons, just the placement.

Variation-XBA
08-15-2007, 12:01 AM

RB's guitars basically have 2 sets of the same keys. The lower set is for solos to give that authentic rocker feel, but they are just mimics of the original keys from what I read. Yes, your GH2 guitar will work technically if you want to save some money.

Bakeman
08-15-2007, 11:30 AM
The lower buttons on Rock Banks guitar allow you to "finger tap" your way through the solos.... no strumming needed.

I'm going to try and get GH3 (game only)... and I'll definitely be getting Rock Bank (full bundle). Can't wait to have guitar, drums, and mic... sounds fun as hell! Not to mention Rock Band is made by Harmonix.. same people that made GH1 & 2... so you know it's going to be GOLD!! GH3 will be good too... Activision took it over and had to rebuild the game from ground up having not been allowed to use GH2's code.

Variation-XBA
08-15-2007, 02:21 PM
One thing I just thought about:

Since RB has the 2nd set of keys and requires no strumming, do you think that those buttons are just programed in to auto strum for you as you finger tap through the solos?

If so, then you could technically play teh whole game that way, unless they are only activated at certain points in the songs... interesting idea

Bakeman
08-15-2007, 05:03 PM
One thing I just thought about:

Since RB has the 2nd set of keys and requires no strumming, do you think that those buttons are just programed in to auto strum for you as you finger tap through the solos?

If so, then you could technically play teh whole game that way, unless they are only activated at certain points in the songs... interesting idea

True.. but they might only be activated for the "solo" parts there are also solo parts for the singer and drummer

l Maximus l
08-15-2007, 05:21 PM
At this point, I'm still a *virgin* gamer to this genre, so, it almost sounds like Rock Band would be over kill....I mean, it's not like I have buddies over at my house so often that I would need drums and a microphone. But, it would be cool to learn how to play the drums.... I know I can't sing at all, but, hey, I'm curious to how they are going to pull this off still.

Like I said, GH2 was the first game like this I have ever seen in person and this was only a couple weeks ago. I went from "this is cheesy" to "this game is kick ass!" in about 2 minutes...lol

Bakeman
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
At this point, I'm still a *virgin* gamer to this genre, so, it almost sounds like Rock Band would be over kill....I mean, it's not like I have buddies over at my house so often that I would need drums and a microphone. But, it would be cool to learn how to play the drums.... I know I can't sing at all, but, hey, I'm curious to how they are going to pull this off still.

Like I said, GH2 was the first game like this I have ever seen in person and this was only a couple weeks ago. I went from "this is cheesy" to "this game is kick ass!" in about 2 minutes...lol

Well as it would be awesome to have 3 or even 4 people to do co-op together.. the game is still setup with 3 separate campaigns one for each instrument (guitar, drums, mic). Just think of Rock Band as 3 different games called Guitar Hero, Drum Hero, and Vocal Hero :) lol

l Maximus l
08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Well as it would be awesome to have 3 or even 4 people to do co-op together.. the game is still setup with 3 separate campaigns one for each instrument (guitar, drums, mic). Just think of Rock Band as 3 different games called Guitar Hero, Drum Hero, and Vocal Hero :) lol

Oh...gotcha! That makes sense. I can tell you right now that I would fail "Vocal Hero" miserably! :D

Thanks for the clarification...that makes more sense...

I can easily see myself diggin' the drums as well as the guitar, of course.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a way to download anything we want from XBL eventually? If so, is this with Rock Band or GH3.....or both? Or neither?!

Bakeman
08-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh...gotcha! That makes sense. I can tell you right now that I would fail "Vocal Hero" miserably! :D

Thanks for the clarification...that makes more sense...

I can easily see myself diggin' the drums as well as the guitar, of course.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a way to download anything we want from XBL eventually? If so, is this with Rock Band or GH3.....or both? Or neither?!

in a few articles over at IGN they said they ROCK BAND is suppose to release 2 songs a week.. but the company making rock band said there will be 100 songs available for download within the first year. Also with Rock Band there will be Full Album releases.... the first and only one confirmed right now is The Who - Who's Next album.

I'm sure Gh3 will have download songs also.. but I haven't heard anything yet on that one.. but I haven't been looking up GH3 stuff as much.

Variation-XBA
08-15-2007, 08:45 PM
I know I can't sing at all, but, hey, I'm curious to how they are going to pull this off still.

If you've ever seen Karaoke Revolution or Sing Star, its the same idea. It scores and judges you on tone, pitch, tempo, etc of your voice. Same principals really.

I'm guessing downloads will work the same somewhat like GH2 does now where you can download Song_Pack_A for XXX-MS Points. If they were smart they would release songs individually for the people that only want a certain song or two from a band, or a larger discount if you buy a song pack of XX many songs.

dork
08-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I think im going to buy rockband game + drums and buy guitar hero 3 with guitar so then ill have everything :)

Unreal
08-28-2007, 12:58 AM
I don't plan on getting either. But if you had to choose. I would go with Rock band because of the drums. lol.

Tony_Macaroni
09-03-2007, 09:08 PM
rock band is such an investment to get the full fun out of the game. Gh3 is just a solid game multiplayer or single player all together.

l Maximus l
09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
rock band is such an investment to get the full fun out of the game. Gh3 is just a solid game multiplayer or single player all together.

That's what I like the most about Guitar Hero...it's not overkill...but, I want to have the most availability with what songs I can download... I'm hoping GH3 will have that availability...otherwise, I may have to pick up Rock Band.

I'm not kidding...I still have only played GH2 once and now I'm freakin' hooked!

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
09-05-2007, 10:52 AM

im planning on doing the same cause they are a month spaced out....on release dates right??? the only that might stop me from buying guitar hero 3 is that i dont wanna spend extra money on buying a diffrent guitar for rock band and i read somewhere that for all the good stuff of rockband it costs 200 in total, which isnt bad but idk 200 for a game is kind of silly..., even if u can buy it seperatly .. guitar hero 2 let me down it wasn't as fun as guitar hero one so im a lil skeptical about 3 .. so im probably gonna give rockband a chance if it sucks get some store credit and try guitar hero 3 ....

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
09-05-2007, 10:53 AM

im planning on doing the same cause they are a month spaced out....on release dates right??? the only thing that might stop me from buying guitar hero 3 is that i dont wanna spend extra money on buying a diffrent guitar for rock band and i read somewhere that for all the good stuff of rockband it costs 200 in total, which isnt bad but idk 200 for a game is kind of silly..., even if u can buy it seperatly .. guitar hero 2 let me down it wasn't as fun as guitar hero one so im a lil skeptical about 3 .. so im probably gonna give rockband a chance if it sucks get some store credit and try guitar hero 3 ....

Variation-XBA
09-09-2007, 03:29 PM
im planning on doing the same cause they are a month spaced out....on release dates right??? the only thing that might stop me from buying guitar hero 3 is that i dont wanna spend extra money on buying a diffrent guitar for rock band and i read somewhere that for all the good stuff of rockband it costs 200 in total, which isnt bad but idk 200 for a game is kind of silly..., even if u can buy it seperatly .. guitar hero 2 let me down it wasn't as fun as guitar hero one so im a lil skeptical about 3 .. so im probably gonna give rockband a chance if it sucks get some store credit and try guitar hero 3 ....

They are about 2 weeks-ish spread apart, so not much difference. Remember you can use your GH2/3 guitar on rockband if you are tryinig to save money.

Keep in mind GH3 is done by NEW people and it already shows (boss battles for example).