PDA

View Full Version : RPG Dilemma

Miggab
08-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon or Two Worlds?? Tough call. Help me out here. Which one and why....

Spinoff90
08-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Well first do you like Japanese or American/European style RPG's more? Obviously if you like American/European style RPG's then Two Worlds is the way to go. If you like Japanese style RPG's more than I would go with Eternal Sonata. The Blue Dragon demo killed all the hype I had for that game.

Currently getting my RPG fix from Persona 3 which is my new favorite PS2 game. Hopefully I can pull myself away from it next week to get some Two Worlds and BioShock sessions in :p

Variation-XBA
08-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Yea, depends what you like more.

Download the Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata demos, that should help narrow it down abit.

I'm getting all 3 though ^_^

Miggab
08-18-2007, 04:57 AM
You are kinda right about the Blue Dragon demo and hype. I played the demo and while I would still like to own the game, it is just not a must have like say..HALO, more like a soso. I downloaded the Eternal Sonata demo and I will admit the battle system is very interesting. Funny this is I like both JRPG and Euro/US style RPG's. Maybe I will just end up getting Two Worlds after all and pray it doesn't suck. Thanks for the input and insight.

YURDAMASTA
08-18-2007, 10:03 AM
I love RPG's my favorite genre, I played the Blue dragon its on Live Marketplace so is Eternal Sonata try them out if you have Broadband.
:watchout:
My opinion is the Blue Dragon is more for a younger crowd, all the characters look to be below teenage so the story fits that pokemon age bracket, as for the game play its simple but seems to have some depth as well, the inovation seems to come in that you can start the attack in real time by running up and getting the first hit from the back, if your quick enough or drawing the monster in a battle circle and possibly getting them to fight one another, its combat is also inovative in that you have to hold down the attack button for a certain amount of time, to time more powerful attacks, the spells system, thought its just a demo, from what I can see, you can equip items you find to improve or even change spell atribute, dark, fire, ice standard RPG stuff , the Shadows in the form of Dragons seem to be unique to each character,however thier power moves they perform seems to be just like magic in other RPG games, therefore mearly eye candy.
Overall Nice graphics aside, its seems rather simple, not to dramatic or flashy.
:cool:
I prefer Eternal Sonata, both are Japanise turnbased however if your interested in story, as RPG most gamers are, seems to be more mature, perhaphs may even include some romance and posible death from the trailer, the story and characters look to have much more complex an adult conversation as well, as far as gameplay goes right off the bat it has some things in common with Blue dragon in that you can run up an attact monsters while thier back is turned in real time before the turnbased stuff starts, however it appears the combat gets a little more involved, dramatic and flashy as you have to hit the button
in a cirtain sequence in real time to due more damage, you also have to hurry, run up and attack in a certain amount of time once you start an attack, keeps you on your toes and is therefore more interactive and interesting, you also can build up power to do a special attack, furthermore all the characters seem to have unique attacks based on that
particular character, ranged (gun), malee (sword), Healer (wand) ect... so loot and items found may only benifit one of your party members, which makes them seem more unique.

Overall Nice graphics, very detailed, and looks like a very pretty high-res anime, gamplay seems a little more interactive, and dramatic, when combo numbers reach up to the thousands along with explosive flashy effects.
:rolleyes:
Now Two Worlds while I have'nt played, so ill be brief , from what I read is an American style {real time} RPG like a cross between Oblivion and PSO, you got one character that you customise and send off into a HUGE world and explore, do quest, fight monsters, Dragons, ect...like PSO you can go online an play with more players, up to 8 as far as I know, it will most likely have some online downloads to inhance online play, but its a completely different type of RPG. but from the reviews this one looks to be the worse...

ChessPieceFace
08-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Don't Forget about Mass Effect. I know it wont be out soon but hey got to save up for it. I would say Two worlds will have more replay value with it being at least 100 hours of game play, plus the online aspect might be really cool with friends.

SH4MR0CK
08-26-2007, 10:40 PM
I recomend steering clear of two worlds.

YURDAMASTA
08-27-2007, 02:58 AM
I recomend steering clear of two worlds.

Yeah I read its the worst rpg ever, its the only RPG I never really hyped! in anyway fighting just did'nt look right!

YURDAMASTA
08-27-2007, 03:02 AM
I also been on the Age of Conan forums, complaining and giving recomendations, to the developers, if they don't ad blocking to the Xbox 360 version which they still have'nt to the PC version??? I may pass on this one to,
:argue1:
and wait for Marvel Universe Online for my next MMORPG.

Ainokeatoo
08-27-2007, 04:00 PM
You two don't know what you're talking about >.> sh4mrock you really don't know a good rpg honestly get off of Oblivion for a second there are other games >.>... Two worlds is an awesome game it's online right now is horrible but i'm expecting a patch so it'll be a lot better, there isn't an official word but it'll get better I know it will... I like to worlds more than I did oblivion and i'm an avid rpg fan >.> Reviews are often onesided and are from people who only play the game for a few minutes to a half hour or even maybe an hour >.> i've got a lvl 43 Knight on two worlds multiplayer and it still is ****ing awesome so don't trust reviews >.>

Variation-XBA
08-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I need a mini review of its online ainokeatoo since no big sites have an official review out yet, thanks. Now chop chop, get to it :cool:

SH4MR0CK
08-28-2007, 12:48 AM
You two don't know what you're talking about >.> sh4mrock you really don't know a good rpg honestly get off of Oblivion for a second there are other games >.>

Ok not once did i metion Oblivion in my statement above. And honestly Im really not judging this game compared to oblivion anyways, Im comparing it to its PC counterpart which makes the game worthwhile. The game runs smoothley exactly how its supposed to and the online isnt junk. However my opinion IS on is the Xbox360 version seeing how this is an XBOX site and an XBOX related thread. If you had asked my about the PC version I probbaly would have told you to absolutly buy the game. So why dont you do yourself a favor and please don't attempt to tell me that I don't know what Im talking about.

Unreal
08-28-2007, 01:25 AM
I was going to post a reply but after reading alot of the responses its been taken care off. So I figured I havent posted here in awhile so why leave this thread without giving my 2 cents. lol. I love the Blue Dragon demo msyelf. I wasnt into Sonata that much. And Two Worlds is getting labled as a very poor mans Oblivion. A couple of friends on my list said they wished they never opened the game up because they want their money back. lol So Blue Dragon it is if you like JRPG's. If your not into them, then skip Two Worlds and get Oblivion if you dont have it.

wasabi_
08-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Id say wait for Mass Effect. Looks like the only new rpg of this year worth your while.

Variation-XBA
08-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Id say wait for Mass Effect. Looks like the only new rpg of this year worth your while.

Other than Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Lost Odysee

wasabi_
08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Other than Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Lost Odysee

LIES!!

Dont believe him, he has a giant brick for his avatar. Mass Effect is the way to go, the others look/play like crap.

Blue Dragon - Laggy and Ugly in my opinion
Eternal Sonata - Slow and Boring
Lost Odyssey - Coming out in 08/No opinions yet, so dont jump to conclusions.

Variation-XBA
08-28-2007, 08:39 PM
LIES!!

Dont believe him, he has a giant brick for his avatar. Mass Effect is the way to go, the others look/play like crap.

I'm actually not caring about Mass Effect very much;take that :P (wasn't into the Kotor's or Jade empire either) Seems you arnt much of a Jrpg fan, with is fair enough, I'm the opposite though and these are awesome titles to look forward to.

Blue Dragon - Not a fan of the DBZ art style either, but I don't judge books by their cover either and liked the battle system.

Eternal Sonata - Demo was AMAZING to me and I want this the most in sept other than Halo due to the unique gameplay

Lost Odyssey - Well I'm hoping for an 07, but we'll see, probably not.

Opinion does not equal fact

YURDAMASTA
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
LIES!!

r u even a RPG player Blue Dragon is one of the most beautiful RPG's ever period.
if you look at any other japanise RPG's out, which are on the PS2 or other old generation systems dreamcast ect, the Graphics in Blue Dragon blow them all away, some may have a better art style? but not better graphics or frame rate?
:nightmare
and the PS3 don't even have any RPG's out yet so graphics wise it looks the best.

while I would say its {gameplay} is boring, its no where near ugly WTF???
:yikes:
Eternal Sonata is even more gorgeous, and the battle is more exciting and fast paced
for your traditional japanise RPG's.

Ainokeatoo
09-04-2007, 03:39 PM
r u even a RPG player Blue Dragon is one of the most beautiful RPG's ever period.
if you look at any other japanise RPG's out, which are on the PS2 or other old generation systems dreamcast ect, the Graphics in Blue Dragon blow them all away, some may have a better art style? but not better graphics or frame rate?
:nightmare
and the PS3 don't even have any RPG's out yet so graphics wise it looks the best.

while I would say its {gameplay} is boring, its no where near ugly WTF???
:yikes:
Eternal Sonata is even more gorgeous, and the battle is more exciting and fast paced
for your traditional japanise RPG's.

No it's not Final fantasy is ten times more beautiful, while still maintaining it's mature atmosphere. ALSO Blue dragon's graphics are for next gen consoles, FFXI is on ps2 computer and xbox 360 and that alone has better graphics than Blue Dragon and the gameplay is considerably more entertaining than your regular turn based rpg, not only that but the fact that you can get online on that blows blue dragon completely out of the water and around the world. Blue dragon I have to say was a really big let down on my part >.>

Along with that sh4mrock yeah you didn't compare it to oblivion in THIS thread but as I remember and I quote "The game was hyped up to be a bigger and more badass oblivion but in reallity its horribly put together mess." Is that not what you said in a previous thread?... Also to note on your views of the online part, Please explain to me what game TO DATE that has had online capabilities for the xbox360 or any game for the xbox possibly, that did not lag the first month it came out? A game that had very little to no lag? Tell me a game that didn't lag the month it came out that loads graphics almost, if not better, graphics than oblivion along with the many npc's that didn't lag? Final fantasy being a huge exception. Of course the online for two worlds in it's first month possibly, of it being out is going to be ****ty. It's what you learn to come and expect when buying any game on launch date >.>