PDA

View Full Version : Can I stream AVI files?

Wolf1171
09-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Can I?

I am running Zune with it linked to my 360 wirelessly and it works great for my music and pictures, but AVI files do not show up on the console.

Is there a way to stream these to the xbox?

Variation-XBA
09-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Short answer, no (but soon!)

Video Playback FAQ

Have questions about video playback or video or audio streaming on your Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system? We address the top concerns here.

Q: What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for H.264?

A: Xbox 360 supports the following for H.264:

* File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov
* Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
* Video Profiles: Baseline, main, and high (up to Level 4.1) profiles
* Video Bitrate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.
* Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)
* Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

Q: What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for MPEG-4 Part 2?

A: Xbox 360 supports the following for MPEG-4:

* File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, .mov
* Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
* Video Profiles: Simple (including Simple profile content mislabeled as Advanced Simple)
* Video Bitrate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.
* Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)
* Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

Q: What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for WMV (VC-1)?

A: Xbox 360 supports the following for WMV:

* File Extensions: .wmv
* Containers: asf
* Video Profiles: WMV7 (WMV1), WMV8 (WMV2), WMV9 (WMV3), VC-1 (WVC1 or WMVA) in simple, main, and advanced up to Level 3
* Video Bitrate: 15 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.
* Audio Profiles: WMA7/8, WMA 9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA lossless

J4320
10-05-2007, 03:17 PM
You can use TVersity if you stream it from your computer. That's what I do.

Kraft
10-07-2007, 04:16 AM
You can use TVersity if you stream it from your computer. That's what I do.

Yup, there are a couple of good on-the-fly wmv encoders that you can use to stream. Unfortunately wmv quality is utter crap compared to divx and/or xvid compression. I am addicted to my media center and anxiously awaiting an update myself.

Ainokeatoo
10-07-2007, 04:23 AM
Oh damn, so it wasn't that the file was over ten some odd minutes, it was just the wrong file type xD wow. *completely diff question*

J4320
10-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Yup, there are a couple of good on-the-fly wmv encoders that you can use to stream. Unfortunately wmv quality is utter crap compared to divx and/or xvid compression. I am addicted to my media center and anxiously awaiting an update myself.

TVersity can stream Xvid, Divx, AVI, and etc to your 360.

Kraft
10-08-2007, 10:37 AM
TVersity can stream Xvid, Divx, AVI, and etc to your 360.

Again, it doesn't technically stream those to your 360. It re-encodes it to wmv on the fly and streams the recompiled wmv file to your 360. Watch an xvid file on your computer then watch it on your tv with the tversity treatment and you'll notice a big drop in quality. I'm not saying tversity sucks or anything, its a great program. Just pointing out that it doesn't turn your 360 into a divx/avi/xvid compatible player per se.

Mendo
11-04-2007, 05:19 PM
The above programs are pretty helpful but if your still having trouble streaming try using Orbit. Its a bit of a tricky program and converts it to FLV but you can use a second program to re-encode it to any other file type you need :)

Post Script

Anyone know any other good programs to use? maybe orbit aint the best one out there i know of...