PDA

View Full Version : Three reasons of mine that I think xbox won't be handheld.

Ainokeatoo
10-04-2007, 03:20 PM
What are your reasons to why you think xbox won't go handheld? Here are mine.

1. Xbox Live - Our internet we pay for to get online and play, although I could see how us paying for our services would lead to premium services for us on hand helds I highly doubt it.
2. Why? I enjoy my games where my console is, no need to carry around something that I enjoy at home.
3. Crappy looking and Crappy games - Basically, most of the games i've played on the psp well... Sucked ass... And how much more convenient it is to play such games and use it more than just a game playing thing... That's all I use it for and to me the games suck ass... Also you have to buy a memory chip in a pretty expensive one if you want to go to most sites and yeah, however convenient it is, I don't like it. *Note- Yes I have a DS but so far the only game I have for that is pokemon diamond and thats the only game except possibly ninja gaiden, that I will ever play on it.*

Shawn-XBA
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't think it will happen either, mostly because of the reasons you posted. As well as, why get into a market the has been dominated by Nintendo for years? Look at the PSP, thats not doing very well at all. The Nintendo DS is the leader and probably always will be.

l Maximus l
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
I just think Microsoft is focussing it's attention and resources on XBox 360 and XBox Live. Most XBox 360 owners seem to be in their early 20s and up...in some cases way up. I just don't see that audience of gamers running out to purchase a handheld.

I believe handhelds are designed with little kids in mind...kind of like the Wii. It's tailored towards kids eventhough there are many young adults that own a Wii.

And, like you said, ainokeatoo, the games are very lackluster when compared to console games. They are too basic because the equipment is much more basic than a console powerhouse. I also can't stand playing games on a small screen. I've been spoiled with playing my 360 on my 50" HDTV, my 55" Plasma, and the good times when I had my home theatre that boasted a 106" High Definition screen (man, that was amazing!)

Variation-XBA
10-04-2007, 09:52 PM
The problem that Sony is having with the PSP is not because of the hardware (though they do need to drop UMD), but its that they are trying to mimic console games on a handheld, which is not the purpose. DS does so well because it knows this and makes games that are meant to be played in spurts (like being on a bus or whatever), not long console-esque styles that they think is what people want.

NiNeBReaKeR
10-05-2007, 07:30 AM
I just think Microsoft is focussing it's attention and resources on XBox 360 and XBox Live. Most XBox 360 owners seem to be in their early 20s and up...in some cases way up. I just don't see that audience of gamers running out to purchase a handheld.

I believe handhelds are designed with little kids in mind...kind of like the Wii. It's tailored towards kids eventhough there are many young adults that own a Wii.

And, like you said, ainokeatoo, the games are very lackluster when compared to console games. They are too basic because the equipment is much more basic than a console powerhouse. I also can't stand playing games on a small screen. I've been spoiled with playing my 360 on my 50" HDTV, my 55" Plasma, and the good times when I had my home theatre that boasted a 106" High Definition screen (man, that was amazing!)

i hate you, i still have a 26" POS TV . (POS meaning piece of **** of course)
PSP has some really good titles but i cant plat to long because my neck will start to cramp up and ill start getting PO'd about the one analog stick.

predatorprime
10-05-2007, 08:28 AM
i hate you, i still have a 26" POS TV . (POS meaning piece of **** of course)
PSP has some really good titles but i cant plat to long because my neck will start to cramp up and ill start getting PO'd about the one analog stick.

meh, my tv's only a little bigger than yours...
My brother has as 55" with a PS3 and a 360. He's such an ass LOL

I have a DS and I have to disagree with some of the points made. I do agree that the graphics are on the low end, but I find that the games on DS are more fun than the vast majority of console titles. I have a semi-shifty access to pretty much every DS game available, and I have to say it has pretty much the best line up of games out right now. They may be easy to play but thats what made games fun in the first place... specially for those of us that have been playing since the atari days.

Now do get back on topic heres the reason why M$ will never EVER make a hand held;

1) The Xbox division of M$ has been at best a money pit since its inception. The development alone would cost M$ more that its worth

2) M$ does not have the superiority complex that Sony has and realizes that the handheld market is going to always be dominated by Nintendo

3) This is almost an extension of 2, but anyways. The handheld market is won and lost in Japan...so M$ has already lost

Ainokeatoo
10-05-2007, 09:35 AM
I had my home theatre that boasted a 106" High Definition screen (man, that was amazing!)

I envy you :hail:

l Maximus l
10-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I envy you :hail:

hahaha...

I sold that house to buy the one I'm currently in. I actually upgraded the house location because it has an awesome view. The house itself is actually smaller (by nearly 500 square feet), and doesn't have space for a new Home Theater unless I converted my formal living room (not likely going to happen while I'm married!!!). But, it's all good, though...I still have a dedicated 50" HDTV that I play on...and I'm thinking about buying another 360 to connect to my 55" Plasma.

But, I do miss the home theater...I mean, 106" High Definition screen is simply amazing to play games on. The one thing I didn't like about it was that the room was way upstairs at the other end of the house. I mainly only used it for video games and an occasional movie. I had a bunch of buddies over to watch the Superbowl when the Seahawks went, but, that's about it.

I only had seating enough for 3 people but could have easily added more (I didn't want to spend the extra cash to buy additional furniture considering that no one hardly used the theater).

Anyway, it was an awesome set-up, though...part of me misses it and the other part of me doesn't only because I didn't use it as much as I thought I would.

Variation-XBA
10-05-2007, 04:25 PM
You still haven't invited me over Max... :mad:

l Maximus l
10-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey, I found an old thread in which I took pictures of my old home theater. Just click this link if you want to see it:

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73744&highlight=%22home+theater%22

The first post has some pics, but, there are more if you scroll down in the thread. Looking back at that thread makes me really miss the theater even more...*sigh*

Anyway, Variation...if you're in the area, shoot me a PM! You're welcome over anytime.

Variation-XBA
10-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I was thinking of doing a similar setup when I move and get a projector, but I can't decide. Any input Max? Basically whenever I move I'll be getting a great like 50" lcd/plasma, or a high end projo.

l Maximus l
10-06-2007, 06:35 PM
I was thinking of doing a similar setup when I move and get a projector, but I can't decide. Any input Max? Basically whenever I move I'll be getting a great like 50" lcd/plasma, or a high end projo.

Well, it really depends on the space. If you go the projector route, it's an absolute must to have the ability to completely eliminate ambient light. Dark walls, furniture, and floor (dark carpet or a dark throw rug) are a must because light colors can produce ambient light by reflection.

I have a 55" plasma in my family room and I don't need to worry about ambient light because, of course, it's back lit like normal TVs. It's when you do a front projector where you need to be eliminate ambient light.

A good starter projector is the name brand "Infocus". It's the best bang for the buck by a landslide. If I were to do it over again...first I would have to move to a different house, but, I would probably go with a higher end projector only because I've owned one before. Remember, replacing the bulb costs about $400, but, that's after about 1000 hours of use (which could take about 3 or 4 years). As long as I had my theater, I only racked up less than 300 hours, which is actually more than I thought. I had it for about a year.

Anyway, I miss my projector, but, I'm also diggin' my plasma and my old RP HDTV.

Variation-XBA
10-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the advice Maxy, will take it into concideration

Reclaimer
10-07-2007, 04:16 AM
Top reason as to why Microsoft won't make an Xbox branded handheld?
What games are do we intend to play on it? A whole separate line of games? That would be essentially trying to cash in on a market that is already under a firm stranglehold by Nintendo and then by Sony. It wouldn't be a profitable venture for them. Yes, Bill Gates has money, but Microsoft has limited assets and I seriously doubt they're willing to take another stab into a console war that is already dominated by the big two competitors.

There won't be an Xbox handheld that played Xbox games anyway because the hardware would be outrageous to produce. Either they find a way to shrink what is essentially an Intel 700MHZ processor, Nvidia GPU and Acer motherboard into a unit the size of a DVD-Rom drive, all of which is pretty much out of the question. MS relied on keeping the costs of both the Xbox and 360 by utilizing off the shelf technologies already when assembling and designing both consoles. That's why both consoles were pretty much PC's. It would be far cheaper to take that route and worry more about selling software to make up profit loses than to take the route of Sony which makes it's own proprietary hardware from the ground up, which is extremely expensive in development costs, even for a company that specializes in hardware products. Remember, MS is a software company, not a hardware manufacturer.
MS has to reach to 3rd party vendors to make hardware for them. While Sony and Nintendo don't really have to.

So that's one aspect. The other side is that they would once again have to commission some hardware vendor to create something that can emulate Xbox games, much like how the 360 uses software to emulate Xbox games. Either way, it's far too expensive and ludicrous for MS to even begin to venture into.

Microsoft will stay where the money is and thats to continue drafting Xboxes and its successors and using software sales to bolster earnings to compensate for the cost per unit of a console to purchase the parts for and build.