PDA

View Full Version : Rockband WOW!

killerscott
10-27-2007, 11:27 PM
I was playing rockband at Best Buy and it seems pretty well done and fun! anyone else played it yet?

NiNeBReaKeR
10-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Any good songs in there? Guitar Hero 2 was good but lacks severly in the GOOD songs department. Im just saying some of the songs left you WTFing after (Less Talk Morr Rokk,Yes we Can,etc..). Im looking forward to GH3 but i dont think i can find a band to play RB with me... btw GH and RB made by the same people?

Bakeman
10-28-2007, 06:11 AM
Didn't know best buy had it up and running! To bad I won't be able to make it out to best buy anytime soon :(

NiNeBReaKeR...... Harmonix made Gh1 & 2... and now they made Rock Band.

GH3 was made by Neversoft (makers of Tony Hawk)

FatBox
10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Any good songs in there? Guitar Hero 2 was good but lacks severly in the GOOD songs department. Im just saying some of the songs left you WTFing after (Less Talk Morr Rokk,Yes we Can,etc..). Im looking forward to GH3 but i dont think i can find a band to play RB with me... btw GH and RB made by the same people?

Wow how can you not like Less Talk More Rokk? That's like the best song in the game.

TheCovenant
10-28-2007, 02:28 PM
i LOVE less talk more rokk, its like one of the only songs i can get 90% range on expert....gotta love those scales:hump:

Kraft
10-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Just like to point out that the guitar parts on rock band will seem infinitesimally easy as compared to their GH3 counterparts. Rock Band is going to be less about guitar difficulty and more about the whole 'band dynamic' and having fun with friends. GH3 will be the way to go for anyone wanting to rip out ridiculous solos on expert mode.

Bakeman
10-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Just like to point out that the guitar parts on rock band will seem infinitesimally easy as compared to their GH3 counterparts. Rock Band is going to be less about guitar difficulty and more about the whole 'band dynamic' and having fun with friends. GH3 will be the way to go for anyone wanting to rip out ridiculous solos on expert mode.

I'd say you might be spot on.... though Harmonix did make Rock Band.. so I'm sure there are going to be some good guitar stuff in there, but definitely not the focus of the game.

Unfortunately I'm not one that can hit those songs on Expert.. I can do some of them, but not the metal songs. I got GH3 last night at midnight and stayed up until after 4am playing lol. In career mode on Hard difficulty I got the Slipknot song without failing a song, then BAM!! I only got 8% into the song!! lol I tried a few times and I couldn't get pass 15% into the song. I even practiced the song a bit, and I just couldn't get it :( I can't figure out the rhythm or something... if anyone has any hints that would be nice. I was able to pass Stricken by Disturbed... but the other 3 songs in that group I failed each song. :(

And I can't wait for Rock Band because it will also have drums and singing...and like you said focuses on the band aspect.... If you haven't read about the Band World Tour mode then you need to do yourself a favor and hit up IGN.com to read about it... they just put up a new article a couple of days ago (or yesterday) about it. Sounds niiiiiice... not to mention being able to use DLC in it.

Variation-XBA
10-28-2007, 10:52 PM
In career mode on Hard difficulty I got the Slipknot song without failing a song, then BAM!! I only got 8% into the song!! lol I tried a few times and I couldn't get pass 15% into the song. I even practiced the song a bit, and I just couldn't get it :( I can't figure out the rhythm or something... if anyone has any hints that would be nice. I was able to pass Stricken by Disturbed... but the other 3 songs in that group I failed each song. :(

Haha, same spot I got to before failing as well. Think of it as quick double 'skips'. Kinda the best way I can describe it, then practive moving doubles, by moving your whole hand, not moving fingers.

Wait till you get to the Slayer song in the next part and then the boss battle.... I'm still tryin to pass Lou :/

Bakeman
10-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Haha, same spot I got to before failing as well. Think of it as quick double 'skips'. Kinda the best way I can describe it, then practive moving doubles, by moving your whole hand, not moving fingers.

Wait till you get to the Slayer song in the next part and then the boss battle.... I'm still tryin to pass Lou :/

hmmm double skips.... unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what that means :( haha
Sorry I'm not down with the lingo

Variation-XBA
10-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Hrm, lemme try and explain.

Normally a beat just goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc etc with the same time between notes.

By 'skips', think of it as 1-2, 3-4, as in really quick double notes. with like a half second between them.

Bakeman
10-29-2007, 01:34 AM
oh okay... I think I get what you are saying...

well anyways right after I posted saying I wasn't sure what you meant.. It was my turn to play (my gf and I are taking turns) and I played it again (but like an idiot I did it in quick play) and I beat it!! I was amazed lol. The rest of the song is pretty cool, and a bit easier then that one section in the start (and in other secions of the song). So I went back into my career and I failed lol, but then I played again and beat it. I now have the 8th section unlocked, and I was stoked to finally have the Metallica song unlocked. I failed that one and the slayer song, but I passed the Iron Maiden song.

Variation-XBA
10-29-2007, 11:59 AM
The slayer song was the only one in Section 8 that gave me trouble. goodjob beating it though! Wait till you faceoff against Lou....you'll wish you were doing slayer again

Kraft
10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Is anyone planning on picking up any 'extra' peripherals for rock band? I am seriously thinking about getting a microphone boom stand... how much fun would it be to not only attempt to master drums or guitar, but do the vocals at the same time?

Variation-XBA
10-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Is anyone planning on picking up any 'extra' peripherals for rock band? I am seriously thinking about getting a microphone boom stand... how much fun would it be to not only attempt to master drums or guitar, but do the vocals at the same time?

holy crap, I didn't even think about that. Mic+guitar or Mic+drums would be awesome. Guarantee someone will youtube it.

Bakeman
10-29-2007, 06:35 PM
LOL Var!!

Yeah I thought about that myself... I would like to be able to do that on some of the songs I like... examples: Enter Sandman and Wanted Dead or Alive.

LTM360
10-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Rock Band has been my most awaited game for quite a while. Still havn't played it though.

But let's be honest, Rock Band > Halo 3, Mass Effect, all that nonsense! Party games ftw!

Kraft
10-31-2007, 01:56 AM
Rock Band has been my most awaited game for quite a while. Still havn't played it though.

But let's be honest, Rock Band > Halo 3, Mass Effect, all that nonsense! Party games ftw!

Hell... Guitar Hero 3 > Halo 3. Actually I can think of a list of games I'd rather play than Halo 3. How people aren't 100% burned out on Halo is beyond me at this point.

FatBox
10-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Hell... Guitar Hero 3 > Halo 3. Actually I can think of a list of games I'd rather play than Halo 3. How people aren't 100% burned out on Halo is beyond me at this point.

It's because of competition not because of content. The competition will never die in Halo, even though Rock Band and Guitar Hero are like some of my favorite games, what are you going to do once you 5 star every expert song? I guess you could 100% all the songs but then what? There is nothing left, at least in Halo, you will ALWAYS have competition.

killerscott
10-31-2007, 05:25 PM
yeah! i have been busy and not able to respond, but everyone is right... the guitaring is very easy compared to Guitar Hero. Also "less talk more rock" rocks!

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
11-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Didn't know best buy had it up and running! To bad I won't be able to make it out to best buy anytime soon :(

NiNeBReaKeR...... Harmonix made Gh1 & 2... and now they made Rock Band.

GH3 was made by Neversoft (makers of Tony Hawk)

Neversoft did good work though on guitar hero 3 (my cousin bought it, its really good).... I'm not getting it im saving my pennies for rockband... Hey i herd or read somewhere that u can use your headset to sing in rockband is that true?.

Bakeman
11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Neversoft did good work though on guitar hero 3 (my cousin bought it, its really good).... I'm not getting it im saving my pennies for rockband... Hey i herd or read somewhere that u can use your headset to sing in rockband is that true?.

Yeah I got Gh3 also... I like it lots... I was just answering someones question about who made the games... I wasn't tying to say GH3 would suck because neversoft made it or anything.

I also read somewhere that was possible... I think that would be a bad move to allow that to work, because they wouldn't be able to sell their mic very well. But on the other hand considering the mic plugs in through the USB, and the headset plugs into a controller, I'm not sure that it would work for the mic. I guess further research is needed. And we'll just have to wait and see.

Variation-XBA
11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes, the RB set for 360 comes with an adapter to use your current headset should you not want to use the regular mic it comes with.

ChessPieceFace
11-02-2007, 09:05 PM
How does the singing work ? Like is there a scale ? A note you have to hit ?

mainecane
11-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Just tried it today and I'm so stoked. I love the feel of the guitar!

Variation-XBA
11-03-2007, 01:22 AM
How does the singing work ? Like is there a scale ? A note you have to hit ?

Look up Karaoke Revolution. Same principal....it measures your tone/pitch and gives you an indiction to sing higher/lower and the words scroll across as well.

odpr
11-03-2007, 08:56 PM
can someone explain to me what is all the fuss about guitar hero?
it is the exact game as dance dance revolution but instead of jumping on a mat you move ur hands on 4 color buttons (like the old simon game..)

all u have to do is to press the 4 color button in different order.. ,
why u need this big plastic guitar on u ? they can simply give you 4 button joystick , and some little stick to move it..

it has no connection what so ever to real guitar play, so what is the deal with it ?

why people buy it ?

MXracer721
11-03-2007, 09:18 PM
it is the exact game as dance dance revolution but instead of jumping on a mat you move ur hands on 4 color buttons (like the old simon game..)

all u have to do is to press the 4 color button in different order.. ,
why u need this big plastic guitar on u ? they can simply give you 4 button joystick , and some little stick to move it..

it has no connection what so ever to real guitar play, so what is the deal with it ?

why people buy it ?

It's 5 buttons actually. Do you play real guitar? True it's not exactly like playing guitar but it is similar. Guitar isn't easy to play by any means so actually having a realistic guitar game wouldn't be much fun. How much have you actually played guitar hero? It's really not that fun unless you play on at least the Hard difficulty. The game shares some similarities to DDR but in DDR you just dance on the pad, in GH you have to strum and hit the notes. Then if the single notes are close you can play a several of them in a row with only strumming once like on a real guitar. Let's face it though, GH and RB are arcade games not simulators.

Variation-XBA
11-03-2007, 10:46 PM

Because it makes you feel like a Rock God

Kraft
11-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Guitar isn't easy to play by any means so actually having a realistic guitar game wouldn't be much fun.

While GH series is by no means a simulator you can actually pick up some good habits that will translate into better guitar playing. Being a guitar player GH was actually harder for me to learn than someone who has never played guitar because I had to force myself to play the GH song and not the actual song. My hands tended to wander up the fretboard to find buttons that didn't even exist at first...

But after a while I noticed certain aspects of my guitar playing were improving. First off I am much more consistent in my high speed strumming. My 1/16th notes are coming off much cleaner than they used to. Next I noticed my hammer ons and pull offs were becoming cleaner and better timed as well. Finally I have always HATED whammy bars for two reasons: first is they are misnamed as 'tremolo' bars. Truthfully they are 'vibrato' bars but for some reason the tremolo nomenclature has stuck... The second reason is that it always felt in the way of my playing. Guitar hero has actually forced me to become more comfortable with the positioning and usage of the whammy.

Look up Karaoke Revolution. Same principal....it measures your tone/pitch and gives you an indiction to sing higher/lower and the words scroll across as well.

It's actually a touch different for Rock Band due to an improvement in technology. In karaoke revolution tone and pitch were the ONLY things taken into account. Because of this you could just hum your way through a song without actually singing. Due to improvements they actually check your articulation in Rock Band to make sure you are singing the right words.

odpr
11-04-2007, 01:15 PM
still funny,
why not spend the time that you play infront of the TV to practice the real guitar ?

there is no meaning to GH game, just press 5 colors at diffrent speed.
all the Graphics most of the time looks the same.

I saw this game in some store, and could not help myself but to think that this is the hypest game ever exist..

Kraft
11-04-2007, 01:55 PM
still funny,
why not spend the time that you play infront of the TV to practice the real guitar ?

I do. But when I have friends over, or when my wife wants to play a game (she digs GH as well), or when I just want to take a break and play a game, GH is a fun diversion.

there is no meaning to GH game, just press 5 colors at diffrent speed. All the Graphics most of the time looks the same.

You could apply argument to 95% of the games in existence. Are you ever going to don a bio-suit and fight Covenant in space on giant ring-planets? Probably not. So why bother playing? All you are doing is using repetitious button pressing to kill make believe creatures... The only game I have ever played that you can actually learn real world skills in is Flight Simulator... and Flight Sim X sold like crap, so what does that tell you about people wanting to play pure simulations...

I saw this game in some store, and could not help myself but to think that this is the hypest game ever exist..

I am assuming you meant to say 'over-hyped' which really doesn't apply to guitar hero. Over-hyped means a game was seriously touted and then proceeded not to sell at all because of it's shortcomings. GH on the other hand has been not only an incredibly successful franchise, but I would venture to say it is probably the best selling game that requires the use of a third-party peripheral.

If it doesn't look like fun to you, nothing is stopping you from not buying it. No game appeals to 100% of the market. The GTA series is one of the best selling series of all time and yet I am not a fan and don't enjoy playing it. Does that make other people's attraction to playing it 'wrong'? Nope, it just means different people have different tastes in games.

odpr
11-04-2007, 04:11 PM
I am actually trying to understand what people find in that game.
I do undrestand that people like it, I just don't get why.

but then again I guess it is this type of games that you either love or totally hate.

MXracer721
11-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I am actually trying to understand what people find in that game.

You haven't said whether you have played the game yet. Have you? For how long? The game is not as easy as it looks and gets more fun the better you get. So I say if you want to understand what people find in the game, then play it.

FatBox
11-04-2007, 06:53 PM
So apparently Rock Band charts are much easier for the guitar portion of the game than they are for GH3. But that's okay, I'll stick with GH3 for guitar mainly and Rock Band for drums.

Variation-XBA
11-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Because I have no musical talent at all for any real instruments, so this is how I enjoy it.

That argument has no validity though, because why play racing games, when you can go out and drive a car, or play Halo when you can go shoot some aliens....er wait.

Soda Jones
11-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Best Bonus Song

Even Rats - The Slip

Kraft
11-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Best Bonus Song

Even Rats - The Slip

I'm kinda hooked on Ruby by The Kaiser Chiefs. Definitely not the most fun chart in the world but I really dig the song. Might have to go pick up the album later this week.

Bakeman
11-05-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm kinda hooked on Ruby by The Kaiser Chiefs. Definitely not the most fun chart in the world but I really dig the song. Might have to go pick up the album later this week.

I'll have to start checking out those songs....

I have only played Killswitch Engaged - My Curse... and that's because I know that song already. It's the only song in the whole list of bonus songs that I know.

Reclaimer
11-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Did they ever mention whether or not you can use the GH2 guitar as an extra guitar on Rock Band? I know that it'll cost 170 dollars, comes with a mic, a drum set and a guitar.
But I know you can play as a singer, bassist, guitarist and drummer.
Now if I can use my GH2 guitar for bass, this will work out nicely and spare me from having to buy another guitar and then have 4 guitars for 2 different games.

Or I can just trade in my entire GH2 set up and get like 30 bucks for it all.

Kraft
11-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Did they ever mention whether or not you can use the GH2 guitar as an extra guitar on Rock Band? I know that it'll cost 170 dollars, comes with a mic, a drum set and a guitar.
But I know you can play as a singer, bassist, guitarist and drummer.
Now if I can use my GH2 guitar for bass, this will work out nicely and spare me from having to buy another guitar and then have 4 guitars for 2 different games.

Or I can just trade in my entire GH2 set up and get like 30 bucks for it all.

Harmonix has stated that 'they are striving to support ALL 3rd party peripherals' for Rock Band. This is kinda their kosher way of saying 'sure you can use the GH guitar'. Funny thing is on the flip side Neversoft recommends that you avoid using any peripheral except for their official GH guitar.

There is one difference though, in Rock band the guitar that you buy will have an extra 5 frets higher up on the neck which are used for solo sections allowing you to tap frets without using the strum bar. You will of course lack with with the guitar hero guitar and will have to do solos the old fashioned way.

Variation-XBA
11-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Basically:

GH guitars work on RB, but RB guitars do NOT work on GH

Kraft
11-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Basically:

GH guitars work on RB, but RB guitars do NOT work on GH

It's kinda what it sounds like at this point. Of course no one has made an official statement of what exactly will work with what.

Variation-XBA
11-06-2007, 10:19 PM
It's kinda what it sounds like at this point. Of course no one has made an official statement of what exactly will work with what.
Yea they have, they've specifically said RB guitars will not work with Guitar Hero

HammeredKomodo
01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Love, love, love this game. Reccomend it to anyone.

Reclaimer
01-27-2008, 06:45 PM
So far, I'm loving the hell out of this game. We're using the GH2 guitar as a bass guitar for our band.

As for singing, I don't think the articulation checking is accurate and I really think the game is looking for pitch and tone more than anything. Yes, you can't hum through a song.. I tried that for the hell of it.
But on "hard" on Blitzkrieg Bop I blew a line, got the words out of pace and still got an "awesome" and I'm pretty sure it was because I was still in tune.

I actually like the singing portion but I think some of the songs are a pain in the ass. Like Sabotage is out of my range so I have to harmonize it.
I feel like an idiot when I sing Epic.

Then theres the chick songs that give me grief.

For as much as I love this game, I'm convinced that the drums don't respond at all sometimes. Like I hit a drum, and nothing at all happens and that's mostly with the bass drum.

Bakeman
01-27-2008, 08:05 PM
So far, I'm loving the hell out of this game. We're using the GH2 guitar as a bass guitar for our band.

As for singing, I don't think the articulation checking is accurate and I really think the game is looking for pitch and tone more than anything. Yes, you can't hum through a song.. I tried that for the hell of it.
But on "hard" on Blitzkrieg Bop I blew a line, got the words out of pace and still got an "awesome" and I'm pretty sure it was because I was still in tune.

I actually like the singing portion but I think some of the songs are a pain in the ass. Like Sabotage is out of my range so I have to harmonize it.
I feel like an idiot when I sing Epic.

Then theres the chick songs that give me grief.

For as much as I love this game, I'm convinced that the drums don't respond at all sometimes. Like I hit a drum, and nothing at all happens and that's mostly with the bass drum.

Out of range on Sabotage? I'm a little confused... that entire song is what Rock Band calls the "Talky Parts". So you shouldn't have to do anything other then talk the correct words at the correct time, so the tutorial says.

I like the singing part of the game also, but I'm a horrible singer. I was able to complete the solo tour on Medium... Luckily I have a sorta high pitched "chick" voice I use for those songs lol. I call it my "girly" voice LOL It sounds funny as hell, but it works. What saddens me, is I can't get high enough to do well on some of the songs I REALLY REALLY like such as "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "Enter Sandman".

I've heard reports online about some drum kits having an issue with I think the red pad.. not always responding.. and it's usually during a fast part. I'm not good enough for the really fast parts, so I can't tell if it's me or the kit.

Reclaimer
01-28-2008, 02:29 AM
Out of range on Sabotage? I'm a little confused... that entire song is what Rock Band calls the "Talky Parts". So you shouldn't have to do anything other then talk the correct words at the correct time, so the tutorial says.

I like the singing part of the game also, but I'm a horrible singer. I was able to complete the solo tour on Medium... Luckily I have a sorta high pitched "chick" voice I use for those songs lol. I call it my "girly" voice LOL It sounds funny as hell, but it works. What saddens me, is I can't get high enough to do well on some of the songs I REALLY REALLY like such as "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "Enter Sandman".

I've heard reports online about some drum kits having an issue with I think the red pad.. not always responding.. and it's usually during a fast part. I'm not good enough for the really fast parts, so I can't tell if it's me or the kit.

I could just talk out the talking parts of those songs but I want to match the vocals to the track like the way it's heard. I'm a perfectionist.. sorry.

Bakeman
01-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I could just talk out the talking parts of those songs but I want to match the vocals to the track like the way it's heard. I'm a perfectionist.. sorry.

OHHHHHH gotcha :)

Reclaimer
01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
OHHHHHH gotcha :)

It's also scary at times. When all my friends are here and we have the band going, everyone is jumping around, head banging and so forth.

LTM360
01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
K, who wants to start an online band? I'll either sing or be guitarist. :)

Variation-XBA
02-01-2008, 07:30 PM
K, who wants to start an online band? I'll either sing or be guitarist. :)

I wanna hear you first!

Unreal
02-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I was playing rockband at Best Buy and it seems pretty well done and fun! anyone else played it yet?
Its very fun. But only if you have 2 or more people playing. Great songs though. BTW, GGaHT is raping me a new one on expert :cry: lol

Reclaimer
02-01-2008, 09:36 PM
So far on drums I have the Medium solo tour complete and I'm 3 songs away from completing the hard tour.
I have 2 songs done on Expert.

I finished the vocal solo tour on easy, have a few songs done on medium.
Guitar tour is done on easy, half way done on medium.

I have two bands going on world tour and both are pretty near completion.

JarkMan
02-01-2008, 11:43 PM
i can pretty much play any song on expert for guitar so im down for the online band lol i can either play bass or guitar which ever u guys want me to play

LTM360
02-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Guitar - Expert Complete.
Vocals - can't bring myself to complete it, but I can do most everything on Hard or Expert.
Drums - Complete on Medium, can do everything on either Hard or Expert though.

Someone has to hit me up for some Rock Band-ing! :p

Variation-XBA
02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Finally got to play at a friends 4 player and all that. God this game is amazing with a room full of drunk buddies