PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Katamari...Life Is Beautiful!

Wiseguy
11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Just played the game for the first time last night with my girlfriend and her friends. We had a small party, some pizza, snacks and the game. Beautiful Katamari is a great game for people who love enjoying a leisurely but challenging game with a funky little attitude and a unique art style.

The premise of the game makes it easily approachable to most player levels, but what I found it interesting is that it's also a very challenging game at the later levels, which you wouldn't think from playing it briefly.

We loved the background music in the game, which ranges form Brazilian jazz, to classical, to Japanese pop. It blends perfectly with the colorfully simple art style and makes the time playing the game seem fun and lighthearted. Very refreshing game to play when you just need to get away from the typical genres and the been there, done that gameplay.

And although it may seem like it might be a game for children only, adults can also find a lot of appeal in playing a game of this style when you just want to relax and roll your troubles away. It's like therapy on your Xbox 360!

We really enjoyed the overall experience this game provides, from the co-op mode, the fun of seeing everyones Katamaris stats from around the world and the archive that lets you see everything you've collected along the way. This game is great addition to the Xbox 360 library and I'm glad they brought this game to the Xbox 360 and the United States for us to enjoy.

Roll on Katamari!!!

Kraft
11-09-2007, 01:25 AM
While I have to agree that it is an incredibly quirky and fun game, even at a discounted rate of 40 dollars it seemed a little steep of a price tag for how inevitably short this game is. I think start to finish I spent about 3 hours on this title, and while there is some replay value in trying to get higher scores on each level it just wasn't varied or captivating enough to draw out the experience much longer...

You also have to keep in mind that this game has had many prior versions to the 360 one and Beautiful Katamari doesn't make you think 'wow! This is the next-gen future of Katamari!' The graphics haven't received much improvement, the amount of stuff drawn on screen feels too similar to previous games and while this Katamari has an online component, the online Vs. and Co-op modes feel lacking at best.

If you are a die-hard Xbox fan who has never experienced the game before it's definitely one to try, but if you are an experienced roller-of-crap-into-a-ball, this is probably a renter at best.

CrazyCougar
11-09-2007, 06:45 AM
I just cannot get myself to be interested in this game one bit. I guess the fact that I have never been interested in the Japanese game genre, or anime may reflect that attitude a little. But none the less, I guess I'll have to rent this one for some achievements, but for some reason I have a feeling it will be a waste of $8 for me in the end. I just dont get the intrigue that people have for this game. Its look so dang goofy!

Unreal
11-09-2007, 04:28 PM
I have been a fan since I played the game on the PS2. Its an aquired tasted that is for sure. A game that is fun to just pick up and play. So cool catchy tunes in the game as well. I haven't played online with it yet, but I am sure it will add some replay value.