PDA

View Full Version : Single Handedly one of the best comparisons i've seen

Ainokeatoo
11-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Graphics

This is a sticky subject for a lot of fanboys. A very common argument in most flame wars is that the Playstation 3 simply “has better graphics”. I’m not sure where that argument came from; Sony obviously did a good job of marketing the system. However, the argument is entirely false. The Xenos GPU on the XBOX 360 is superior the RSX on the PS3. This is one thing that didn’t change in the past year.

Xenos simply has more power - higher fillrate, higher pixel processing power, higher vertex processing power, and better memory architecture. If you look at multiplatform games and contrast the graphics on the two consoles, XBOX 360 almost always leads. Whether they use a higher resolution or higher quality antialiasing, games often look better and/or play smoother on the 360. We looked at a handful of multiplatform games a while back, and this was always the case.

Again, we have to consider that Cell has the potential to help with graphics on the Playstation 3. As developers become more familiar with the platform, they are going to come up with new tricks to help games run smoother, and allow them to look better. However, one year after its introduction we aren’t seeing huge leaps (or even baby steps) towards this, except on a couple exclusive titles.

Let it all be known, the graphic flame wars are over, the xbox at the moment has THE best graphics out of the three systems. So without further ado.

Linkeh (http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-one-year-later/)

Variation-XBA
11-30-2007, 12:11 AM
This is already known to techies, but fanboys will believe what they wanna believe, reagrdless of system preference

GamerSince'76
11-30-2007, 12:23 AM
The proof is in the pudding. Most multiplatform games have better graphics on the 360. Sony is just trying to fool the public.

I went out with a friend for lunch today and he was going to buy his kids the $399 PS3 so they can play PS2 games on it. He had no clue until I told him.

CrazyCougar
11-30-2007, 08:24 AM
I have to agree with Variation. Folks will buy according the price and name. Now that the PS3 is selling a unit for $399, they will sell many more units than they have in the past. I will say this though, the PS3 is only a year old while the 360 is 2 years old. If I remember correctly alot of folks were still criticizing the 360 of non-nextgen graphics at the age of 1.

I think a better selling point for the 360 is its extensive library compared to that of the PS3. And a lot of the games you can get on the PS3 are also available on the 360.

As for the Blu-Ray supporters that try to entice folks to the PS3. Go away! Its not going to happen folks. Blu-Ray was dead before it ever even got started. Its a modern day Beta-Max.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I have to agree with Variation. Folks will buy according the price and name. Now that the PS3 is selling a unit for $399, they will sell many more units than they have in the past. I will say this though, the PS3 is only a year old while the 360 is 2 years old. If I remember correctly alot of folks were still criticizing the 360 of non-nextgen graphics at the age of 1.

I think a better selling point for the 360 is its extensive library compared to that of the PS3. And a lot of the games you can get on the PS3 are also available on the 360.

As for the Blu-Ray supporters that try to entice folks to the PS3. Go away! Its not going to happen folks. Blu-Ray was dead before it ever even got started. Its a modern day Beta-Max.

Well said man... modern day beta-max HA SO TRUE.. and not for nothing the only game they hold in there grasp that gives the xbox360 any comp at all is and was God Of War ... watch when that goes multi plat.... can we say unemployment for some sony workers...

Spinoff90
12-01-2007, 01:36 AM
As an owner of both PS3 and 360 really are not much different graphically IMO. Yes the typical Sony hype train and the 4D graphics was stupid and it hasn't lived up to that hype but they have been doing that for years with how they hype their products so nothing new. PS3 is struggling with some ports but that isn't because it is weaker but because it is harder to develop for mixed with them being lazy cash in ports. A lot of people feel Oblivion is better on PS3 so if a developer actually puts effort into the port it can be fine and the games that have been made with PS3 in mind have lead to cases of some great looking games. Motorstorm for example has had nothing else come close to it when it comes to the track deformation. Sega Rally Revo tried but came up short. Another stupid thing I have seen is people saying PS3 is weaker because games like Madden 08 are running at a lower FPS. It took 360 two years to hit 60 FPS with Madden but PS3 should hit that in one year? People need to stop caring which one looks better, accept that they are pretty much equal, accept that both are being passed by PC games and be happy that things don't look as bad as the Wii :hardcore:

Now comparing Xbox Live to PSN, the 360 game library to the PS3 game library or stuff like that is where you can see the 360 with a huge advantage. To me Blu-Ray is an advantage for PS3 and I wouldn't exactly call it the next beta max. I think both current HD formats will collapse under the split industry and neither will end up becoming the standard while eventually a new HD format will become the standard but in the event one of these two HD formats becomes the standard Blu-Ray has taken a large lead over HD-DVD. Also I do think it is better for games. Changing discs with an RPG like Blue Dragon is one thing but with something like a racing game changing discs doesn't work and is something that could limit 360 games if it hasn't already. It could very well be why games like Forza 2 have suffered from some very lackluster graphics as great as it was. As an early PS3 owner I have the emotion engine so that is another advantage PS3 has for me. Before the recent BC update I still had 103 Xbox games that were not BC on 360 (Not sure about now) while I am free to play pretty much anything I want when it comes to PS2 and PS1 games. I am sure there are some games that won't work considering the slim PS2 can't even play every PS2 game but no problems so far. Also mix that with the fact that PS2 has still been getting great games like God of War II, Persona 3 and King Of Fighters XI and getting to play them upconverted is great. But of course there is one area of greatness on the 360 that makes graphics, game libraries, online services, HD movies, BC support, controller preferences and stuff like that not matter at all........... ACHIEVEMENTS FTW!!!!! :D

But seriously at the end of the day all that matters to me is that I like my 360, I like my PS3 and I like my high end PC so I get the best of all worlds and can just sit back and enjoy some great games, great graphics and some great looking movies in HD. And I hate my Wii but in the event it has a good exclusive released like I am sure SSBB will be then I have that covered as well :sleeping:

Variation-XBA
12-01-2007, 01:56 AM
A lot of people feel Oblivion is better on PS3 so if a developer actually puts effort into the port it can be fine and the games that have been made with PS3 in mind have lead to cases of some great looking games.

Yea, and they also had what, an extra year to do it as well?

Another stupid thing I have seen is people saying PS3 is weaker because games like Madden 08 are running at a lower FPS. It took 360 two years to hit 60 FPS with Madden but PS3 should hit that in one year? People need to stop caring which one looks better, accept that they are pretty much equal
Yes, people shouldn't care about that kinda thing, but they do, and the whole console war that happens every generation just adds fuel.

To me Blu-Ray is an advantage for PS3 and I wouldn't exactly call it the next beta max. I think both current HD formats will collapse under the split industry and neither will end up becoming the standard while eventually a new HD format will become the standard but in the event one of these two HD formats becomes the standard Blu-Ray has taken a large lead over HD-DVD. Also I do think it is better for games. Changing discs with an RPG like Blue Dragon is one thing but with something like a racing game changing discs doesn't work and is something that could limit 360 games if it hasn't already. It could very well be why games like Forza 2 have suffered from some very lackluster graphics as great as it was.
And to people like me that don't care, I'm glad I can choose to pay extra for the HD DVD addon with the 360, rather than being forced to pay for something that I don't want/need. Granted they use BR's for games as well, but all it is movies aside is a larger storage medium. Changing discs has not limited anything yet, and Blue Dragon being the only one so far, it was a non issue, as to me it felt more like progress. There won't be a racing game that says "switch to disc 7 now" in the middle of the race, so don't make it out to sound like that. And Forza 2 being on DVD9 had nothing to do with the Graphical quality of it, it wasn't a space issue. The fact they didn't even in indash views, that's a completely diffeerent issue/argument.

Before the recent BC update I still had 103 Xbox games that were not BC on 360 (Not sure about now) while I am free to play pretty much anything I want when it comes to PS2 and PS1 games. I am sure there are some games that won't work considering the slim PS2 can't even play every PS2 game but no problems so far. Also mix that with the fact that PS2 has still been getting great games like God of War II, Persona 3 and King Of Fighters XI and getting to play them upconverted is great.
I don't buy into the whole BC argument. Sure it's a nice feature to have for the people that have a few old games they'd like to play or pick up one day, but the average person doesn't have 100+ games that arn't on the BC list like you and me. The average gamer generally only owns a few games at a time. Sure some ps2 games are still comming out, and kudos to Sony for not dropping it as quick as us, but I can't tell you the last time I cares about an upcomming PS2 game (god of war 1 and 2 just wasn't my thing at all). Look how bad the ps1 'upscaled' games looked at launch (It was actually worse scaled), though I did believe they improved it abit.

And I hate my Wii but in the event it has a good exclusive released like I am sure SSBB will be then I have that covered as well Mines gathering dust and I haven't even bothered to crack open my Mario Galaxy. I wish I knew the novelty would have worn off in 2 weeks before hand to be honest.

In general, people feel they need to justify their purchase and for whatever reason, that means putting down the other systems.

There's 2 sides to each argument, a lot of people will generally disregard them no matter how logical they are. People assume what they choose is "right" or the correct choice when picking which system to buy. If you love your system that much, awesome, but don't tell me my system of choice sucks because of it (Not talking to you, just in general).

I'm really hoping Sony brings out something worth owning in 08 so I will WANT to get a ps3, cause as of now, I really couldn't be bothered as nothing has appealed to me exclusively that I can't get on my 360 that I've already invested 70+ games into.

NiNeBReaKeR
12-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Variation i think your thinking the same thing im thinking :cheers: Anyways the only game on the ps3 that will make me want one is when FFxiii finally comes out,you know that game is going to be SICK.

SamSmith
12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
I can't honestly see blueray taking off. I wouldn't say it will fail, but it's hardly going to knock dvd's off the shelves.

thatdude222
12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
*leaves stupid thread, goes to play his n64*

Variation-XBA
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I can't honestly see blueray taking off. I wouldn't say it will fail, but it's hardly going to knock dvd's off the shelves.

I honestly dont think there will be a "winner" per-se with one completely stopping production. I think it's going to be a stalemate until either the next format or straight Digital or flash.

XboxGamers
12-14-2007, 12:04 AM
ainokea, We go play some COD4. :cheers:

bloodlines
12-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Like I said in the other thread (can't remember which one) Sony build their systems for the long haul. In a few years games will be comin out so fast you'd think this was the days of the Dreamcast. Anyway, I support gaming in general, and graphics have never been a MAJOR issue for me, a lot of good games have graphics that people wouldn't consider "next-gen". AND I think that we need to get away from that way of thinking. Good graphics dont make a good game. Oh...and Microsoft need to lighten up a bit. They make you pay for everything, $100 for a HD Dvd player $100 for a wireless adapter, $50 to play online for a year not to mention all the money spent on DLC, and other marketplace items.

GamerSince'76
12-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Sony was king of the console industry for 12 years. Absurd camments by Ken Kutaragi, deleyed Blu-ray diodes, a $600 price point at launch and lost exclusives also thanks to Kutaragi have put the PS3 firmly in last place. Even David Manning would have a tough time selling the PS3. Now they come out with a $399 model that can't play PS2 games? Typical Sony mentality.

For every one multiplatform game that looks as good on the PS3 as it does on the 360, I can name you three that look worse. I know it's nice to think that we are not graphics whores but we are playing video games with the key word being video.

Who would have thought the PS3 would have sunk this low? Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is reportedly good but not great. Resistance is old news already. Sony lost Ace Combat, DMC, and GTA. Between Blu-ray and HD-DVD, good old DVD-9 is winning the format wars. Sony should have used regular DVD-9 in the PS3 and IMHO things would be different for them.

ryonin
12-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Like I said in the other thread (can't remember which one) Sony build their systems for the long haul. In a few years games will be comin out so fast you'd think this was the days of the Dreamcast. Anyway, I support gaming in general, and graphics have never been a MAJOR issue for me, a lot of good games have graphics that people wouldn't consider "next-gen". AND I think that we need to get away from that way of thinking. Good graphics dont make a good game. Oh...and Microsoft need to lighten up a bit. They make you pay for everything, $100 for a HD Dvd player $100 for a wireless adapter, $50 to play online for a year not to mention all the money spent on DLC, and other marketplace items.

you are correct, i also think that Microsoft should lighten up on the prices for things, but i think you are wrong about the price of online play, $50 a year is extremely cheap. compare it so WoW thats like $13 a month or something, way more expensive than Live is.

Ainokeatoo
12-17-2007, 12:38 AM
You know Blu-Ray isn't going to well for PS3 I had just gone to bestbuy and guess what I saw? An actual Blu-Ray player costs about 200-300$ less than the 80 Gig PS3