PDA

View Full Version : Bought a NYKO Intercooler EX and...

GamerSince'76
12-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I had a $26 credit at Blockbuster and I bought this there:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/ARONO129/NYKOIntercoolerEX.jpg

My Halo 3 console was running cool but I figured I would try anything to avoid the RRoD. My already cool running console seems to be running even cooler now. I would have liked it in black but in my city I was lucky to find the EX model at all.

CrazyCougar
12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I will never buy something that piggy backs onto another items power source. Early models of this cooler melted and fused themselves with the 360 they were connected too. Supposedly they say this problem has been fixed but I still wouldnt trust it. Good luck with yours.

Soda Jones
12-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately, I've heard and seen nothing but bad things about this piece of hardware. I think you're putting your console in more jepordy by using this.

Reclaimer
12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I bought one and then read later it caused power problems with the 360 so I got rid of it.

GamerSince'76
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
The EX has a metal power supply so it's been totally redesigned. If anyone has any negative links about the redesigned Intercooler, can you post them?

IGN gave the EX version a good score. 8.7 out of 10:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/796/796951p1.html

Nyko Intercooler 360 EX Review

Does this follow-up to the popular, yet troubled, Intercooler 360 resolve previous issues?
by Gerry Block

June 15, 2007 - When the word first started circulating (within the first month after launch) that the Xbox 360 has issues with overheating leading to the now infamous Red Eye of Death, third-party accessory manufactures sprung into action designing add-on cooling systems for the console. First out of the gate was Nyko's Intercooler 360, a three-fan assembly that docked on the back panel of the console and drew power directly from the 360's main AC input via a pass-through jack.

In the early months of the Xbox 360's life the Intercooler 360 was a highly popular product. We reviewed it back in August 2006, and at the time gave it a solid review. In the months following, however, word began to spread on the internet that some users were experiencing hardware failures related to the Intercooler. Specifically, some owners discovered short-circuits had occurred in the Intercooler's power pass-through jack that melted surrounding plastic and in some cases fried the 360.

In our case, the review sample Intercooler is still docked to the 360 we tested it with, the only launch unit still functioning in the LA office, we might add. Nonetheless, other owners were indeed affected, and Nyko addressed the issue in an official response (link). In the end the general conclusion was that in some cases when the AC-power jack was too loosely connected to the Intercooler a short circuit could occur.

Now, almost a year later, Nyko is launching a new Intercooler in its line of EX branded accessories designed to compliment the Xbox 360 Elite. Other than the fact that it's now molded in black, the updated Intercooler features a seriously redesigned AC pass-through plug that is far more robust than the previous release. The original Intercooler's connection was simple plastic, whereas the EX model has upgraded to a metal housing enhanced by a spring-loaded release mechanism.

In head to head testing conducted today, we can confirm that the connection is massively more stable in the EX model than the original. Whereas we were able to easily shift the AC plug in the original model to the degree that fan-speeds were affected, the EX clamps so firmly upon the AC plug that we were not able to propagate any looseness at all. Removing the plug is almost a chore, requiring depression of both the Intercooler EX's release button and the two buttons on the 360's own AC plug, a decidedly two-hand affair that actually requires a bit of muscle. We were impressed at the very marked contrast between the two coolers, and believe the new locking mechanism will likely address the short-circuiting issues previously encountered.

In other respects, the Intercooler EX seems to perform similarly to the older model. The three fans move a lot more air than the various USB powered competitors thanks to the significantly greater voltage available from the AC power pass-through. As PC gamers know, high fan RPMs make a lot of noise, and such is certainly the case with the Intercooler EX. It's loud, and in our office demo room it completely dominated the slightly audible whirr of our DLP projector to the degree to which we were jacking the volume up a lot louder to cover it up. Our current arrangement has the 360 console sitting less than 4-feet away from our seating location, which makes the extra noise particularly apparent. With a lot more room, or with an entertainment cabinet blocking the noise, we can image the issue may be less pronounced, but users sitting close to their console should be highly aware they'll be able to hear the Intercooler EX distinctly.

Hard evidence on the exact internal temperature difference the Intercooler EX provides is hard to come by since we don't have an infrared thermometer that can get into a closed Xbox 360. Temperature comparison charts provided by Nyko claim between 10 to 30-degree Fahrenheit improvements in various locations within the console with an Intercooler equipped. Oddly, the comparison chart provided with the EX cites the 360 naturally running about 10-degrees hotter without the Intercooler EX than the chart provided with the original Intercooler, which we think makes all the figures a little suspect.

For our part, we can confirm the three fans blow dramatically more air out the rear of the Xbox 360 than the naked console does, and to the touch the exhaust is a lot cooler, probably in part thanks to its sheer velocity. We also setup a pair of Xbox 360s, one Intercooler EX equipped, the other bare, and put them to work playing HD-DVDs via add-on drives (one of the most taxing applications for the hardware). The Intercooled 360 was noticeably cooler to the touch after 2-hours of playback, which confirmed an unscientific, but real, difference made by the Intercooler EX.

Conclusion
With this re-release of the Intercooler 360 it would appear that Nyko has succeeded in massively improving the strength of the AC pass-through jack on the Intercooler to the degree to which we expect short-circuiting issues should be resolved. In other respects, the Intercooler EX does its job pulling more air through the console rather effectively. Potential buyers should be aware of the significant noise the extra cooling fans make, but in crowded installations or in closed entertainment cabinets, the Intercooler EX will likely do a lot to help keep Xbox 360s healthy and cool.

IGN's Ratings for Nyko Intercooler EX
Rating Description
out of 10
8.6 Performance
Dramatically improved AC pass-through jack should address short-circuiting issues. Otherwise a loud, but effective, cooling solution.
9.0 Build Quality
Much impoved thanks to a sturdier AC pass-through.
8.5 Value
$19.99 is comprable to other add-on coolers. While other options make less noise, the Intercooler EX moves much more air, thanks to the voltage provided by the AC pass-through as opposed to USB.
8.7 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Reclaimer
12-10-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't know. It still makes me nervous. I feel that any time you piggy back into a power supply you ask for trouble.
This may be the best product in the world. Who knows. But I'm apprehensive right now.

GamerSince'76
12-10-2007, 10:16 PM
I just don't want the RRoD. In 30 years of gaming, I've never had this much fun. Maybe this can help.

CrazyCougar
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Well good luck, but honestly I think you are taking more of a chance to cause other problems by using this product. Redesigned or not, it should NOT piggy back the power supply. Hopefully it works well for you and no problems arise.

bloodlines
12-10-2007, 10:25 PM
That cooler seems kinda suspect to me. But since they re released them, I guess they are good. Before then I would yell in urgency for you to take that thing off and launch it out of the window. My friend's power cord got fried because of that thing...anyway he was lucky, might have started a fire, there was smoke and everything. I might get one if what they say is true about the new ones.

Variation-XBA
12-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I will absolutely never add a 3rd party periphrial to my systems for any reason. Goodluck, but if you have the Halo system (basically an Elite inside), you're pretty safe from RROD's anyways.

GamerSince'76
12-11-2007, 09:13 AM
OK I'm returning it. What you guys said makes sense.

Kamshaft
12-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Trust me, I was sent two of them and was nothing but troubles, still crashed, etc.... Not to mention they are crazy loud. Take it from me. Just keep your Xbox 360 well ventilated.

GamerSince'76
12-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Trust me, I was sent two of them and was nothing but troubles, still crashed, etc.... Not to mention they are crazy loud. Take it from me. Just keep your Xbox 360 well ventilated.

Thanks guys. I took it back and...

A WARNING ABOUT BLOCKBUSTER CANADA

The good thing about them is when trading they give up to $30 for some games. EB gives up to $41 for some games so you have to check trade in prices.

I bought the Intercooler on store credit and the airhead that works there (Kristen) says I have to "mail it back to Microsoft". I told her Microsoft doesn't make them, NYKO does. Then Ms. Airhead tells me that I have to mail it back to NYKO. I told her I mailed a product back to Microsoft and it cost me $15 and I'm not paying to mail this in as I bought it yesterday. I ak her if I buy a Disney movie and it doesn't work do I have to mail it back to Disney? The airhead says she doesn't understand because the product is new, it has to work. I told her that my Intercooler rattles and it's loud and sometimes products don't work. I asked her if every product she ever bought has worked?

The airhead tells me that she has to junk it because the company won't take it back and that goes for all gaming accessories. She says if I buy a 360 and it doesn't work I have to mail it in to Microsoft. I tell her they are the only store that doesn't offer exchanges and refunds.

The kicker is I tell her that I don't want to argue, that I'm a polite person and just write on my bill that I can't take it back and sign it and then I'll call head office. She says that she doesn't understand what I want. I tell her that I don't want my money back, I just want to pick something else.

I end up with a MS Universal Remote instead. The woman was a biatch about the whole thing.

Kamshaft
12-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Dude you bought that at a place that rents movies. Nuff Said.
:confused:

Call Blockbuster Canada head office, and mention her name. You'll see she'll sing a different song next time you go there.

bloodlines
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
I dont like blockbuster. Who the hell builds those...you never see them being built, you just walk past one day and its there. Anyway, dont buy accessories, or even games from Blockbusters they are *******s prety much all around...

GamerSince'76
12-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I was going to call head office but I got what I wanted. I picked up the Universal Remote there for $29.99 and most other stores it's $39.99.

I should know better than to buy games and then trade them. I traded in two racing games. I play shooters and have to stick with those. Then like Kamshaft says, they rent movies. Still they have a bad return policy. Nowhere does it say you can't return video game consoles or asseccories. That's why when I said mark that on the receipt and sign it, she caved.

Universal Media Remote works great. There is even a code for my BenQ TV and BenQ isn't your mainstream TV manufacturer.

I find when you get people to put things in writing or ask for their first name (on the phone) there is much more accountability.

SamSmith
12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
What do they even do? keep it cool, yeah... but does it affect performance at all?

GamerSince'76
12-11-2007, 11:57 AM
What do they even do? keep it cool, yeah... but does it affect performance at all?

I read what people were saying here and I've heard that it draws needed power from the console and puts too much of a load on the fans.

Variation-XBA
12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Enjoy the new remote, buch better purchase than a 3rd party POS. Didn't wanna get a game though?

GamerSince'76
12-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Enjoy the new remote, buch better purchase than a 3rd party POS. Didn't wanna get a game though?

Nah. I have to wait for really good shooters to come out again. BIA HH, Vegas 2, etc.

Snake Eyez
12-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Goodluck, but if you have the Halo system (basically an Elite inside), you're pretty safe from RROD's anyways.

Why is this? I sold my original 360 and bought an Elite because of the HDMI. 1080p and because it's black.

GamerSince'76
12-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Why is this? I sold my original 360 and bought an Elite because of the HDMI. 1080p and because it's black.

MS changed the cooling system and newer 360's (Lot 0734 and up) have the 65nm CPU. It was soft launched. My Halo 3 console is always cool on top and warm in the back instead of warm on top and hot in the back.

Variation-XBA
12-12-2007, 10:15 PM

Those are the reasons you bought the Elite before these systems, for the HDMI/HDD/Black. An added bonus was that the new mobo's have had very little issues, and now that every system is basically an Elite inside (only the elite comes with the HDD/HDMI Cable though still), they all share the better motherboard.

Snake Eyez
12-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Well that is some unexpected, but comforting news. I've more freezes on my Wii than on my Xbox. Actually, I don't think my 360 has given any problems at this time.

Variation-XBA
12-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Well that is some unexpected, but comforting news. I've more freezes on my Wii than on my Xbox. Actually, I don't think my 360 has given any problems at this time.

All hail the Elite :):hail:

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
12-13-2007, 06:19 AM
HEY GAMER!!!! return that peace of **** 5 of my friends bought that same exact one for your same exact reason and all 5 of them there xbox messed up on them within 2 months the guy on the phone told them that model sucks so much power that.. it shorts out one of the main power septers in the box.., and my friends didnt have old xbox one of them 6 months old other 3 none of them no more than a year..., thought id let u know dude those things suck

GamerSince'76
12-13-2007, 06:31 AM
HEY GAMER!!!! return that peace of **** 5 of my friends bought that same exact one for your same exact reason and all 5 of them there xbox messed up on them within 2 months the guy on the phone told them that model sucks so much power that.. it shorts out one of the main power septers in the box.., and my friends didnt have old xbox one of them 6 months old other 3 none of them no more than a year..., thought id let u know dude those things suck

I haven't watched a DVD yet on my 360 but I'm enjoying the remote much better. I use it to control the TV and turn on and off the console and eject the discs. I'm glad I had the Intercooler on for only a few hours.

Variation-XBA
12-15-2007, 01:48 AM
See 76, we're here to help, believe us :)

bloodlines
12-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Nah. I have to wait for really good shooters to come out again. BIA HH, Vegas 2, etc.

I wish Army of Two wouldn't have been delayed I was really waiting for that game.:bang:

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
12-16-2007, 07:06 AM
I wish Army of Two wouldn't have been delayed I was really waiting for that game.:bang:

You and me both dude...:crying::bang:

Batman_wanna_be
12-25-2007, 12:11 PM
I had one of those and I think it fired may xbox :cuss: