PDA

View Full Version : Standard or ELITE

Scrounger
01-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Question for the experts. I picked up a standard 360 at Sams Club for $399 for Christmas that had two controllers, rechargeable battery cable and battery, XBOX live headset and two games, Spiderman and FORZA. I thought it was a good deal, but I'm reading that the Elite is what I should have bought.

Other than the size of the HDD they are identical. Is the larger HDD an issue if I dont plan to down load any videos? The lack of any Elites in the area pushed me towards the standard model.

Mendo
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey whats up?

If you don't plan on downloading stuff to your xbox hard drive then i think you got a good deal :).

This link might help you out too.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/xbox-360-elite-vs-classic-the-test/

Variation-XBA
01-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Do you have the nice big HDTV that has HDMI? The Elite comes with the cable if you do (a good cable seperately can be around $100 on its own). Some poeple like it cause it's black, but HDD/HDMI cable is what you buy an elite for though. If you don't need either of those, then don't bother switching.

Steeps5
01-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I've read that it's smarter to buy the Standard than the Elite but I don't remember the exact reasons. I still can't believe I bought a 360 like days before the new ones came out with the HDMI and the cooler, more effecient hardware. :mad:

CrazyCougar
01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Honestly, the only difference now is the bigger hard drive, and the color. HDMI comes standard on the new 360's, unless you got an older system with your bundle. But it all depends on your TV if you even need HDMI. I have a 42" LCD that supports 1080p through component cables, so I have no need for the HDMI. It really depends on your entertainment set up as well. Some use the HDMI to free up component jacks, and vice versa.

None the less, you can always upgrade your HDD later if you want more room, but for now it was a good deal.

Foques
01-03-2008, 01:53 PM
One very smart guy and a friend of mine told me to get the standard one when i was looking in to the same questions.
saved me money, and i totally enjoy my system... when xbl is up...

Ainokeatoo
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
What it really comes down to is what you prefer, and how big your tv is. Honestly I would go for the elite it just looks nicer, not to mention hdmi.

GamerSince'76
01-03-2008, 08:59 PM
MS is rumored to announce the Ultimate:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31815

I'll stick with my Halo 3 console.

CrazyCougar
01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Why does everyone keep touting HDMI as a feature for the Elite? Its on ALL 360's with the new chipset, not just the Elite. So if HDMI was someone's reason for wanting to buy and Elite, I would say save yourself like $80 and get a premium system instead with HDMI included. The 120 HDD and black color are the only extras you get when buying an Elite these days.

Kraft
01-04-2008, 03:11 AM
The 120 HDD and black color are the only extras you get when buying an Elite these days.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Elites also have the 65nm CPU and GPU chips to help reduce the heat issue?

Ry
01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Only reasons Id sell my standard for an elite, the color and better cooling, I dont need a 120gig hard drive.

WARTH0G DRIVER
01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Go with the Elite.

:cool:

** I'm happy with the elite.

and I have every kind of xbox.

** I prefer the Elite out of them all. It seems to run smoother and faster.

-Xbox 360 Elite
-Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition
-Xbox 360 Standard

p.s. --> HAPPY GAMING!

Variation-XBA
01-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Elites also have the 65nm CPU and GPU chips to help reduce the heat issue?

Not all no, it's not every single one yet. Some snuck in the Halo systems and post ones since then though

Why does everyone keep touting HDMI as a feature for the Elite? Its on ALL 360's with the new chipset, not just the Elite. So if HDMI was someone's reason for wanting to buy and Elite, I would say save yourself like $80 and get a premium system instead with HDMI included. The 120 HDD and black color are the only extras you get when buying an Elite these days.

Yes, but the Elite comes WITH the cable, and a good cable (non monster) is around $100 or so for something good. So no, you're wrong, the cable as well which puts the 'extras' into more than $80

GamerSince'76
01-04-2008, 11:12 PM
No 360's have the 65nm GPU. Newer ones have the 65nm CPU.

CrazyCougar
01-04-2008, 11:58 PM
So Variation, you are saying the cable MS supplies is a good one?? YEAH RIGHT! Come on...LOL!

My Elite does not contain the new chipset, as I bought it before September rolled around. So I cross my fingers in hopes that I dont get the red lights of death. But it wouldnt surprise me at all if it happened.

Variation-XBA
01-05-2008, 12:00 AM
So Variation, you are saying the cable MS supplies is a good one?? YEAH RIGHT! Come on...LOL!

You have a hardon for downing MS or something, jesus.

And actually it's a nice thick cable, better than the ****ty antec/madcatz etc ones that you can get cheap should you not get the Elite. Only upgrade ones I would buy would be Monster, but they are big $$

CrazyCougar
01-05-2008, 12:04 AM
MS is about the money. Hence the disastrous workmanship on the 360's from launch until just recently when they changed the chipset. So if MS can give you a crappy cord they will, just like they pushed out crappy consoles in the beginning of the 360 era.

Sorry I dont kiss MS's ass. I enjoy my 360 and Xbox Live immensely, but as with any large company, MS is all about the benjamins. Not the consumer. Always have been that way, and always will. I guess some folks just choose to ignore that.

GamerSince'76
01-05-2008, 01:51 AM
MS is about the money. Hence the disastrous workmanship on the 360's from launch until just recently when they changed the chipset. So if MS can give you a crappy cord they will, just like they pushed out crappy consoles in the beginning of the 360 era.

Sorry I dont kiss MS's ass. I enjoy my 360 and Xbox Live immensely, but as with any large company, MS is all about the benjamins. Not the consumer. Always have been that way, and always will. I guess some folks just choose to ignore that.

QFT.

Any other product with a 33% failure rate would have been recalled. I love my 360 because of the games. I'm just glad MS doesn't make medical supplies, planes or cars.

CrazyCougar
01-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Hahaha, no doubt. Then again we should come to expect workmanship like this from MS. Look at every OS that has come out after Windows 95. The biggest debacle seems to be Vista. So the 360 really isnt so surprising when it comes to a high failure rate.

But seems they finally got it fixed, and at least they swallowed some pride and extended the warranty 3 years after a ton of pressure from consumers and the industry. So thumbs up on that notion, but MS still is all about the money and not the consumer. I guess at least they pretend to care about the consumer a little.

WARTH0G DRIVER
01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
QFT.

Any other product with a 33% failure rate would have been recalled. I love my 360 because of the games. I'm just glad MS doesn't make medical supplies, planes or cars.

haha.. :rofl:

:cheers:

leethal_4ce
01-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Question for the experts. I picked up a standard 360 at Sams Club for $399 for Christmas that had two controllers, rechargeable battery cable and battery, XBOX live headset and two games, Spiderman and FORZA. I thought it was a good deal, but I'm reading that the Elite is what I should have bought.

Other than the size of the HDD they are identical. Is the larger HDD an issue if I dont plan to down load any videos? The lack of any Elites in the area pushed me towards the standard model.

The fact that you DIDN'T know about the Elite tells me you aren't a huge videophile. Meaning you won't be able to really notice the difference between component and HDMI, or that you really wouldn't care.

My opinion, the premium is a great deal. Here's your pack laid out:
Premium Xbox 360 (mic, wireless controller, HDD): $300
Extra wireless controller: $40 (most places)
Play and charge kit: $20
Spiderman: FoF: $40
Forza 2: $40
Total: $440

So if you really like BOTH games, you saved some money. Otherwise, you probably would have been better off just buying the Premium, then buying an extra controller and play and charge kits used, then buying the games you want.