PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate display case

SpaceGhost2K
01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. ONCE THE TUTORIAL AND/OR ACTUAL CASE IS DONE, I WILL STICKY THE THREAD.

I've tried to make stuff out of wood before, with varying degrees of success. I got a 10" table saw for Christmas, assuming that all of the big projects around here are done and if I started another project, it would be on a smaller scale than the freakin' huge built-in shelves I put in my bedroom or refurnishing a 40's radio cabinet for my game stuff.

A fellow collector has a beautiful case for displaying his faceplates, but has asked not to post any pictures. So... while I can't post pictures of the collections OR the displays, I CAN try to "reverse engineer" the pictures to try to figure out how to make my own display.

I also have to take into consideration that a standard size of glass may have been used, and since the displays are in a European country, their standard sizes of precut glass are probably NOT the same size as USA standard precut glass.

I took one of the pictures and blew it up to 8.5x11 and printed it out. I measured the faceplates and the case in the photos in millimeters, and then measured an actual facepalte in millimeters. There was a little discrepency in the measurements because the camera lens "bends" or stretches things. I took an average multipler (3.2x, with 3.1x and 3.3x being common - not that this means anything but I thought I'd share. :) ).

ALL this gave me was a rough estimate of the parts of the display. However, the most important thing was to find the approximate size of the glass, adjust it to handle a standard precut size of American glass, and then adjust the sizes of everything else accordingly.

Also, another thing I considered was the depth of the unit. With room for grooves for the glass and the back piece, a 4" deep unit with 3" deep shelves seems acceptable, but I'm going to make mine 3" deep with 2" deep shelves since 2" is plenty of room to put some space between the faceplate and the glass and still bring the bottom of the plate out a bit. With 3" shelves, the plates could almost lay flat on the shelf and I don't want that. You can make that call, as changing those particular dimensions affects the whole plan very little, where adjusting the width or heigth would affect it in every way. If you plan on displaying some of my custom plates, with attached toys and the like, you may want the depth or you may want to adjust the space between shelves or even number of shelves.

SpaceGhost2K
01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
This case will have six shelves (one is the bottom of the case, five are moveable) and will display twelve horizontally displayed faceplates - or, two shelves (one is the bottom of the case and one is moveable) and display twelve vertically displayed faceplates.

Like I said, I have little experience with projects like this, and my projects are usually acceptable, but rarely "fine workmanship." In other words, YMMV.

The outside dimensions of the case will be 32.5" wide x 24.5" high x 3" deep (for mine). I will be making one out of cheap pine first, to make sure it is a feasable plan, before I invest in oak or birch or something spendy, and before I buy the glass. Also, buy the wood a little longer than you need it and cut it to size once you get it home. That way, you don't have feathered, shelf-worn ends on your wood.

The frame will require:
Wood 1/2" thick x 3" wide x 36" long (2)
Wood 1/2" thick x 3" wide x 26" long (2)
Backing piece 1/8 thick x 24" tall x 32" wide (1)

The glass:
Glass 1/8" thick 16" x 24" (2)

The shelves:
Wood 1/2" thick x 2" wide x 31 3/8" long (5 for horizontal, 1 for vertical)

Now... I have to go draw some pictures, and I have some other irons in the fire. I'll be back in a bit. I'm going to tie up one more "post" so I can continue.

SpaceGhost2K
01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/SpaceGhost2K/displayinstructions.jpg

For anyone who thinks I'm an artist, I submit the above evidence.

SpaceGhost2K
01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
If I can't get it all in here, I talk to much. :) bbl.

Elite-Concepts
01-03-2008, 05:33 PM
this is an awesome idea, hope it works out for you would look awesome when its done though

MaDDigital
01-03-2008, 05:47 PM
This is one of my planned summer projects. Def keep us updated. I will be drawing up my own plans as I want to make it more artistic than just some shelves. I want to make sure I can accomodate the plates that go vertical as well as horizontal as well as possibly illuminate. Ive done tons of custom projects tho mostly fabrication for cars and such.. Good luck..

SpaceGhost2K
01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
This is one of my planned summer projects. Def keep us updated. I will be drawing up my own plans as I want to make it more artistic than just some shelves. I want to make sure I can accomodate the plates that go vertical as well as horizontal as well as possibly illuminate. Ive done tons of custom projects tho mostly fabrication for cars and such.. Good luck..

Keep in mind that illumination will fade the plates over time, and also consider getting a UV protected glass.

Nato King
02-06-2008, 09:56 PM
When are we going to see a picture of the finished product.

SpaceGhost2K
02-07-2008, 01:23 AM
I have the plans in this here R2 unit. But I literally have, in front of me, a 3x5 card with twenty-seven faceplates that I have to START, not counting the ones already in the works. The display cases are going to have to wait.

I have a couple of job things I'm checking into. Hopefully, the end result will be some money for supplies and stuff.