PDA

View Full Version : Rockband.. Ftw!

Reclaimer
01-12-2008, 12:20 AM
I love this game, I am so hooked on "playing drums."
I can play drums IRL, and using the Fisher Price plastic drum set the game gives you takes some practice, but I'm really liking the game.

Anybody else out there playing this?

FatBox
01-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I've been playing a lot lately, I love the drums, I also can play some drums in real life so I got the hang of the drums pretty quickly. I'm going through the game on expert right now and I'm stuck on Don't Fear the Reaper. (Really crazy drum solo and ending)

Kraft
01-12-2008, 02:08 AM
I actually don't play drums in real life but rock band might incite me into buying a 5 piece kit eventually. I've cruised through most of expert on guitar, bass and vocals, but am working on hard with the drums.

Anyone up for some late night rocking? If so add me to your friends list: KraftXO of course

Variation-XBA
01-12-2008, 02:44 AM
I suck BALLS at the drums. I cant even do easy. Any tips on how to detatch my foot from my hands?

Kraft
01-12-2008, 02:57 AM
I suck BALLS at the drums. I cant even do easy. Any tips on how to detatch my foot from my hands?

Practice practice and more practice. What I did was take a song with a decent chop that incorperates both connected foot/left hand and tosses in syncopated hand/foot/hand parts and memorize them. Then whenever you are sitting around doing nothing practice it.

I tapped out rhythms while driving to and from work for a while (thank you cruise control) and eventually got to the point where I mastered those particular rhythms. Best thing is once you get good at doing it with one song it becomes easier to see them in other songs and hit them well.

Hopefully others have better tips. As I said I have never even touched a drum kit in real life, but just practicing relentlessly has gotten me most of the way through hard now. Honestly you aren't 'detaching your foot' as much as you are teaching your leg and foot muscles new way to incorporate into new rhythms. I don't think about my foot separately anymore, I just think about the overall rhythm.

Variation-XBA
01-12-2008, 03:03 AM
I can keep a rhythm, I play the guitar on Expert, so its not the skill or game, it's my inability to detatch my foot when needed at a different time than a normal note. The training took me quite a few tries :/

Kraft
01-12-2008, 03:23 AM
I can keep a rhythm, I play the guitar on Expert, so its not the skill or game, it's my inability to detatch my foot when needed at a different time than a normal note. The training took me quite a few tries :/

Using your foot like that is just a different kind of rhythm. It's like playing a 5 on 4 or a 3 on 2 rhythm with your hands. Do you think of it as detaching your hand from each other? Usually not. It's just a new rhythm to learn.

Bakeman
01-12-2008, 11:02 AM
The game is great!

I played it exclusively from launch day up to last week. Last week a friend came over and he wanted to rent NBA 2k8 and MX vs ATV. So I played those games last week. But I still played Rock Band. Rock Band rules!!

And since christmas I have been able to download tracks. I've got 15 I believe. It's nice having new stuff to add to the game also. And being able to pick exactly what I want instead of having to buy a pack of songs because there is one song in it I like.

I've completed the following solo tours: Vocals - Medium, Drums - Medium, Guitar - Hard.

I have done some songs on hard on vocals, but it's a challenge for me (i really suck at singing haha). I've also got about half way through the Drums on Hard (it's the fast sections when it needs a pad then pedal then pad that are killing me). And I only have 3 songs to finish on Expert with the guitar to complete that Tour. But those freaking solos kill me!!! Highway Star, Green Grass and High Tides, and Flirting with Disaster are the songs I have left to do. I just barely passed Run to the Hills just yesterday.

Reclaimer
01-12-2008, 12:23 PM
My biggest gripe is when I was actually playing drums in garage bands and what not, I learned to hit the crash cymbal with the bass drum together.. always. It adds to a deeper and fuller sound. I became programmed to do this whenever possible.

When playing this game I automatically do that and it's not always called for and I get penalized for it constantly. Some songs have it but its not constant and it screws me up.

As for tips? Practice, that's about it. I wish there was a free form practice mode that you can just bang on the drums to no music for as long as you want to practice your styling.

TheCovenant
01-12-2008, 02:41 PM
love, love, LOVE this game. My buddies and I play for hours on end in my tiny room. We can all play expert except for certain songs (Mettalica "Ride the lightning") and of course, vocals have a tough time even on hard. I cant really get the rythm down for "Run to the Hills"-Iron MAiden. Those drums are pretty tough too.

I think ive downloaded 20 songs or more by now. I can believe theyre keeping their word and releasing SEVERAL (theres always like 5 to chose from) tracks everytuesday. Last week i downloaded "Die, ALright!"-The Hives and its easily one of my favorite songs in the game along with "Joker & The Thief"-Wolfmother, and "IM so Sick"-Flyleaf.

I really really really hope they put MUSE on this game though...i <3 MUSE. i know this is kinda futile but im secretly hoping they get The MArs Volta in their too. It'd probably be somehting like 1/2 a real song and 1/2 you can hit anything you want. Still, I <3 the mars volta =)

thAshAdyOne
01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
love the effing game...

I havent played with all of the instruments yet, just guitar and vocals...I need that drum set...when I get a chance to splurge, I'll get it...