PDA

View Full Version : Red rings of death

achilles71
02-06-2008, 07:21 PM
So im fully aware that this is such a noob question, but im going to purchase a 360 elite soon. Most likely this weekend. Anyway, i need to know about the Red rings of death (RRod). What are they? Don't reply if your gunna laugh and poke fun, that doesn't accopmlish much. Any useful info would be appreciated, thanks

-Victor

Ainokeatoo
02-07-2008, 01:43 AM
RRoD is basically in the true essence of the term, hardware failure which is fully covered under the warranty, as long as you don't make attempts to temporarily fix it, IE: Overheating the console. The xbox 360 Elites along with all the consoles that came out since october 2007 are said to be made with the new falcon chips which are said to make the console a lot more stable making RRoD's rare with the newer consoles. I hope you are happy with your purchase and hope you join us online and stay with the XBA community.

Welcome to XBA hope you enjoy your stay.

JarkMan
02-07-2008, 01:47 AM
so the overheating trick really does void the warranty?

Ainokeatoo
02-07-2008, 02:18 AM
so the overheating trick really does void the warranty?

Yes, along with that even if it didn't, RRoD is a hardware failure, how is overheating going to fix something to do with your hardware? Not only that, but the trick is a absolutely huge fire hazard.

achilles71
02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the help. Once i get my xbox live account going i'll be sure to let you guys know. I'm looking forward to playing with everyone here on xba.

-Victor

JackTheWhack
02-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Yea if you take very good care with your 360, it should last you a very long time. Like myself that I had it since Launch Day Nov. 22nd, 2005. It died on January 7th, 2008. So it can last you very long if you take good care of it, and just put it in a well ventilated area! I can't stress the fact on how people don't do that.

*Whack*

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
02-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Yea if you take very good care with your 360, it should last you a very long time. Like myself that I had it since Launch Day Nov. 22nd, 2005. It died on January 7th, 2008. So it can last you very long if you take good care of it, and just put it in a well ventilated area! I can't stress the fact on how people don't do that.

*Whack*

your right and wrong atleast in my case.... I took good care of my launch one and it crapped out on me in a year i had a cleaner i had it about 3 feet from my central air and my condo stays at 55degrees in the summer and in the winter at 65 so sometimes it isnt the ventilation... on mine how i maintained it did nothing for it.. it had internal problems from the start.. infact a few of those launch counsols did...
since then i been playing the trading game with xbox repair center and there non lasting xboxés ... my first xbox died in a year, my 2nd one died in 6 months 3 rings hard drive malfunction, and now the replacement for that one is currently on road to the labs of microsoft.but it lasted about 2 years.. however 3 rings...
so i hope u never find out what the red lights mean..... cause they mean a lot of pissed off moments in your life.. but anyways to my knowledge ,

3---rings, there fault lol you dont pay for repair...
4---rings, your fault lol you pay.. to have it fix.

FromHell440
02-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I just found out that it was an update error that caused the Red Rings to appear on my console.

An update was ran for Fuzion Frenzy 2(Not my game) and for the Devil May Cry 4 game(which I am getting rid of). This is probably why it still runs as well. Everything was fine after I turned it off and back on again. It's not due to anything melting since the Falcon chip keeps it pretty cool.

I ran the maintenance code they have for the Hard Drive where the update was installed just to be sure.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I just found out that it was an update error that caused the Red Rings to appear on my console.

An update was ran for Fuzion Frenzy 2(Not my game) and for the Devil May Cry 4 game(which I am getting rid of). This is probably why it still runs as well. Everything was fine after I turned it off and back on again. It's not due to anything melting since the Falcon chip keeps it pretty cool.

I ran the maintenance code they have for the Hard Drive where the update was installed just to be sure.

im pretty sure thats not the case with mine ... i didnt get any update for any games... it just froze while i was playing gears online and i restarted it and when i did 3 rings of death ... that was it...

JackTheWhack
02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Damn, what those game updates can do.

*Whack*

CrazyCougar
02-08-2008, 03:10 PM
I have been through 5 consoles total. And I can guarantee you its not about keeping it in a well ventilated area. All of my 360's have been well ventilated as they are always sitting on top of an open TV stand, elevated at that on top of a small wood block to allow air flow underneath as well. The 360 is just crappy workmanship, and those that have launch 360's lasting 2 years, your luck is great. it has nothing to do with the way you take care of it, its just about luck.

FromHell440
02-08-2008, 03:59 PM
I have been through 5 consoles total. And I can guarantee you its not about keeping it in a well ventilated area. All of my 360's have been well ventilated as they are always sitting on top of an open TV stand, elevated at that on top of a small wood block to allow air flow underneath as well. The 360 is just crappy workmanship, and those that have launch 360's lasting 2 years, your luck is great. it has nothing to do with the way you take care of it, its just about luck.

That's a shame that the consumers are paying for Microsoft's poor workmanship. I guess I should be happy that my falcon bounced back from the brink of death.

Variation-XBA
02-08-2008, 04:29 PM
it has nothing to do with the way you take care of it, its just about luck.

Yes and no. Yea a big part is luck, but if you ran your 360 on the carpet, or had another device ontop of it or something, that's gunna run it down even quicker so

CrazyCougar
02-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes and no. Yea a big part is luck, but if you ran your 360 on the carpet, or had another device ontop of it or something, that's gunna run it down even quicker so

Oh, I dont deny the fact that poor care of your system will definitely kill it. I just know that even taking care of your system, blowing dust out, well ventilated, nothing sitting on top of it, etc... is not a full proof guard against the RRoD. I maintain my systems very well, and they just crapped out one after the other. My first system lasted 13 months, but then my next 3 systems failed with 30-45 days of purchase. Currently I would say all my systems in the house have been running now almost a year with the exception of my Elite. So far so good.

FromHell440
02-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Cougar's right. I treat my XBox 360 like a baby and it has the Falcon chip yet it still almost went out on me today.

Ainokeatoo
02-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Cougar's right. I treat my XBox 360 like a baby and it has the Falcon chip yet it still almost went out on me today.

Just because it has the Falcon chip doesn't mean it's immune to RRoD, the Falcon chip makes the console a bit more stable making the RRoD problem very rare, but not impossible.

FromHell440
02-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Just because it has the Falcon chip doesn't mean it's immune to RRoD, the Falcon chip makes the console a bit more stable making the RRoD problem very rare, but not impossible.

I think I pretty much already admitted that in the thread I made titled: "Falcons also get RRoD" or something like that.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
02-09-2008, 01:51 PM

then we have ****ty luck.., im just gonna trade it in and pay the diffrence towards a new xbox 360 elite i got my income tax return with the games and other crap i got im just gonna pay a diffrence of 150 so thats a good deal.

FromHell440
02-09-2008, 02:05 PM
then we have ****ty luck.., im just gonna trade it in and pay the diffrence towards a new xbox 360 elite i got my income tax return with the games and other crap i got im just gonna pay a diffrence of 150 so thats a good deal.

Brooklyn the elites are no better than the new Premiums that are now out. Elites can still fail. Having an elite does not increase the chances that your console will last.

Moreover, all elites are not Falcons.

JackTheWhack
02-09-2008, 03:17 PM
What will increase your chances is the Halo 3 Special Edition Consoles, as there have been absolutely no reports of red rings on those consoles, and all are on falcon as well.

*Whack*

Ainokeatoo
02-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I think I pretty much already admitted that in the thread I made titled: "Falcons also get RRoD" or something like that.

Yet you sound so surprised.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
02-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Brooklyn the elites are no better than the new Premiums that are now out. Elites can still fail. Having an elite does not increase the chances that your console will last.

Moreover, all elites are not Falcons.

You know i was thinking that.., so i might just get the premium to save a few bucks... but the reason why i just wanna get a new one and pay the difference is im tired of getting the refurbished xbox'es, that mess up quicker.. and also i've had the core for a while.. and i wanna upgrade... to something.. so i was just gonna get the best upgrade out there but i dont need an elite.. i went to my friends house today to see his he just upgraded to it nothing special... a lil quiter but thats it ...

FromHell440
02-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Yet you sound so surprised.

How can I "sound" surprised on a message board?

Just admit that your "informative post" was pretty much useless. As I stated before you're preaching to the choir since I'm the one that first started the thread which pretty much says "Falcons get the RRoD."

I guess there is a reason I had you igged.

@The other posters: The falcons are much quieter and the funny thing is even though I got the red light my Falcon is still going strong -- after I turned it off and on again -- it may have been the update or that my power brick was still in standby mode.

Whatever it was the console is going strong as if the RRoD never even occurred.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
02-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Just admit that your "informative post" was pretty much useless. As I stated before you're preaching to the choir since I'm the one that first started the thread which pretty much says "Falcons get the RRoD."

I guess there is a reason I had you igged.

@The other posters: The falcons are much quieter and the funny thing is even though I got the red light my Falcon is still going strong -- after I turned it off and on again -- it may have been the update or that my power brick was still in standby mode.

Whatever it was the console is going strong as if the RRoD never even occurred.

So how can u tell if your xbox has a Falcon..., i know there was a post .. but i had no idea what everyone was talking about a falcon this and that..

Krooklyn Punk
02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
What will increase your chances is the Halo 3 Special Edition Consoles, as there have been absolutely no reports of red rings on those consoles, and all are on falcon as well.

*Whack*

WoOT!!! i have the HALO:SE console i was worried about that ....

i knew the extra 50 bucks was good for something other than Green paint a free charger:p.

Ainokeatoo
02-11-2008, 06:59 PM

You're incredibly immature aren't you? It was a figure of speech *******.

Who cares what you started, who cares what you said. What I said was that the falcon chips make the console a bit more stable making RRoD's in consoles with falcon chips RARE.

achilles71
02-12-2008, 09:44 AM
well this is a fun little argument

Krooklyn Punk
02-12-2008, 09:52 AM
You're incredibly immature aren't you? It was a figure of speech *******.

Who cares what you started, who cares what you said. What I said was that the falcon chips make the console a bit more stable making RRoD's in consoles with falcon chips RARE.

OWNED!?!:hump: