PDA

View Full Version : What happens?

tinytoonsbuster
02-09-2008, 04:31 PM
So what happens when Microsoft comes out with a new xbox and we have no more use of our 360 faceplates? Not only will they not be in use but they will stop coming out with new faceplates to collect... right? That's gunna suck =p. I can see a lot of people selling there collections when new consoles hit the market, unless they make it so you can attach your 360 plate to the new console, that'd be sweet. But then again I guess the new console would have there own kind of faceplates then huh.. now i'm rambling. I think faceplates are actually doing better then microsoft initially thought they would though, so they'd be dumb not to keep it going from console to console now right?

JakofallAces
02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
actually faceplates arent really selling for ms. they are nice looking but people only really know about the corporate store plates. Rarely people know about the release plates and aside from that would even buy them. Also look at the different styles of the original xbox to the xbox 360. They are extremely different and with new and upcoming technology the next generation of ms gaming system will have a new and different style scheme also, I mean it wouldnt be that great if the next xbox looked the same, i want something new and different with neon lights. Cya ya'll:jammin:(use the smilies forgotten)

tinytoonsbuster
02-09-2008, 04:59 PM
actually faceplates arent really selling for ms. they are nice looking but people only really know about the corporate store plates. Rarely people know about the release plates and aside from that would even buy them. Also look at the different styles of the original xbox to the xbox 360. They are extremely different and with new and upcoming technology the next generation of ms gaming system will have a new and different style scheme also, I mean it wouldnt be that great if the next xbox looked the same, i want something new and different with neon lights. Cya ya'll:jammin:(use the smilies forgotten)

i guess you're right. the only faceplates making real money are not being sold by MS. they are being sold by people on ebay =p. i do hope they incorporate the faceplates with the new system still though, or at least have it's own faceplate. Just so my collection doesn't just come to a stop after they stop making 360 plates. It would be a pretty boring thing to collect if it all just stopped =p

moltenluv
02-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Yah know sometimes I wonder the exact same thing. Its gonna suck because of all the $$$$ I have put into my collection. Guess I will just have to cross that hurdle when I come to it. I have a feeling faceplates will not be around with the next console or if they are I doubt they will be the exact same styling.

JarkMan
02-09-2008, 08:38 PM
i have a feeling MS will find a way to incorporate the old faceplate into the new system for one they already have a bunch out in production so i doubt they will change the way the faceplates go on

racingfreak92
02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
MS made removable faceplates because they were doing this whole "make your 360 unique" thing but Ms hasnt made new faceplates since launch and their other ideas like "surfergirl" fell through to. I dont expect faceplates to come off on the new xbox.

You could hang your faceplates on the wall,i think they would look cool

JakofallAces
02-10-2008, 12:40 PM
MS made removable faceplates because they were doing this whole "make your 360 unique" thing but Ms hasnt made new faceplates since launch and their other ideas like "surfergirl" fell through to. I dont expect faceplates to come off on the new xbox.

You could hang your faceplates on the wall,i think they would look cool

Ya spaceys devoted a whole room in his house to that i think check his collection page

Variation-XBA
02-10-2008, 01:16 PM
but Ms hasnt made new faceplates since launch

They have, just not many, and not over here.

Viva Pinata, Halo

SpaceGhost2K
02-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Viva Pinata and Forza 2 were the last two MS plates. Halo, ME, etc. were all done by someone other than MS.

That's part of my mission, to bring the idea of collecting this things, or even just personalizing your console, to the gaming world at large. Most 360 owners are aware of the idea. They just aren't aware of the EXTENT of the idea.

I didn't buy any of my plates with the assumption I'd ever make the money back. I bought them for my own personal enjoyment and "the thrill of the hunt." Since there really aren't a lot of people collecting them, I think that might work in our favor. If someone decides later to collect them, there won't be as many to choose from.

There's zero chance the new Xbox will use these plates. Zero. When it comes out, these are done. If a return on your investment is a concern, I suggest selling them now and buying something that doesn't have an expiration date, like toys or art.

(Of course, since I think there is an "art" aspect to these, interest in them may last longer than I think.)

Ninjermy
02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
i have a feeling MS will find a way to incorporate the old faceplate into the new system for one they already have a bunch out in production so i doubt they will change the way the faceplates go on

Me to.
Although I don't think face plates were such a great idea to begin with. Mostly due to their high cost.

JakofallAces
02-11-2008, 05:27 AM
Me to.
Although I don't think face plates were such a great idea to begin with. Mostly due to their high cost.

ahh, thats not really the case if your talking about the $20 retail, i would pay that any die, but the ones that i usually want and in the 100s to 200s price range so for them, ya the cost is a big deal, but the look of them and the limited # that they are made of makes a big impact in it.

cheezymonkey999
02-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Im not worried about no new faceplates comming out when the new systems arrive because itll give me a chance to catch up on my collection. Once i get caught up though ill be sad. But hey, there are always other video game things to collect.

gameking28
02-14-2008, 05:21 AM
...There's zero chance the new Xbox will use these plates. Zero. When it comes out, these are done...

100% Agreed. However I think part of the 360's success (in addition to launching a full year before the PS3 and Wii) is the idea that every person can customize the face of their 360 however they like. Personalizing consumer products is really big here in the states right now - perhaps even across the globe (I don't know for sure... and non U.S. Addicts want to chime in here?)
We live in a time where the world is getting smaller every day. Generally speaking, everyone has an iPod (or comparable MP3 player). Everyone has a computer. Everyone has a cell phone.
They all look pretty much the same.
People want to add their own identity to the products they use in their daily lives and Microsoft saw that.
Whatever the plans are for the next generation xbox, I can almost guarantee there will be some sort of personalization similar to the faceplate concept of the 360.
For now though, my PS3 and Wii will have to get their personal touch from my favorite after-market retailers (http://www.colorwarepc.com/). ;)