PDA

View Full Version : Petition with 1258 Sigs For MS to Give XBL Dedicated Servers to Stop Latency/Lag!

NsOaklandR6
03-22-2008, 09:06 PM
(I AM NOT THE ATHUR OF THIS PETITION! This is to fix both Latency and Lag but this is my post on the lesser known Latency problem I posted at XBOX.COM. Also I plan to send this to Game Developers as well. I know it is not just a MS problem)

The issue of latency is severe! People please STOP confusing LAG with LATENCY! Latency is the small constant millisecond(s) delay you have in Multi Player Online Games. Not the Choppy "Connection Interrupted" LAG! This is not about people being bad players, a lot of people are running around on XBL thinking they are bad a$$es because of how many kills/deaths they have but are not realizing or caring that the majority of there success is due to LATENCY to other players in the matches!

Example:

I'm walking/running around a map in COD4, turn a corner and I'm face to face with somebody from the other team. I react quick, shoot, and hit but for some reason not kill the guy and I get shot in and instant. I then Look at the Kill Cam Replay and whataya know, it shows that I never even lifted my gun up to shoot!

Or how about you are stationary, an enemy unaware that you are there comes into view down range; but you get shot in MILLISECONDS quicker then any human can react and surely quicker then the system can transfer the data. You know there is no way in the worked the guy spotted you, aimed, and got the kill in less then Half a second! Maybe in 1 lucky situation but BACK to BACK to BACK to Back, Game After GAME After GAME with different people.

I'll give you Another one, how about you are trying to take a headquarters when an opponent turns a corner right in front of you, you react buy stabbing him but NOTHING HAPPENS and you get Stabbed in less than half of a second. OR The guy turns the corner and before his body makes it around the corner all the way you are DEAD, Just like that in WAY less then a half or maybe even 1/4 of a second. Once again the Kill Cams paint a VERY Different Picture. Also Latency can make you think other players have extra health when really it's just that what you are seeing is not really happening in real time. So your shooting and hitting but in real time the guy isn't even in that position anymore but your system hasn't caught up yet to know it, so you just keep trying to kill the guy and the those first 50 rounds didn't even really hit him!

The worst thing about this is, to everybody else you look like you are just a horrible player. On there screens they just see you standing there doing nothing while getting killed. While on your screen you are Shooting, Kicking ,Screaming, Punching, Stabbing, setting off Jihad suicide bombs or whatever you can do to kill the guy in front of you. This problem just KILLS COD4 for a lot of people. I have to live with the fact that I will ALWAYS have HIGH death counts, HIGHER then kills ALWAYS. Most of the time I am forced to just rush around killing what I can knowing I will be killed after about my 3rd kill if I'm lucky. Air strikes here and there but it doesn't get too far from that. Some VERY few times I have very low latency for a certain amount of time and I Own it up! I am a very tactical player and usually get the job done but this just knocks all of that skill off the map.

Sign the Petition and Complain to Xbox to get this fixed if you are experiencing the same thing. This NOT a connection speed issue (Just had mine upgraded AND checked, even the hardlines in the ground), as I understand it is a SERVER (Or the Lack Of) Issue. This may not be that big of problem for other types of Games but for FPS and Sports games it cannot be tolerated!

http://www.petitiononline.com/XBLhost/petition.html

XBL KNOWS ABOUT THE PETITION AND IS LOOKING AT IT NOW, THIS IS A FACT! NOT JUST SOMEBODY TELLING ME THEY WILL TAKE A LOOK LATER.

Before you make any flamming comments read the IW Thread I made on this, it's already been hashed out and you can see how many people do have this problem:

http://www.infinityward.com/community/forum/index.php?topic=22079.0

CrazyCougar
03-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Lag/latency will always be a problem with online gaming whether its a console or a PC. That will NEVER change. You are always going to have someone in a room with an unstable connection that will affect the gameplay of everyone else. These petitions just crack me up, and I find them completely useless and unecessary.

SamSmith
03-23-2008, 02:05 PM
He's not the ATHUR it's ok

FatBox
03-23-2008, 02:43 PM
A petition on latency lol. Let's just ban everyone with bad connections! :cheers:

FromHell440
03-23-2008, 03:26 PM
These people must suck at Call of Duty 4. Sure you have problems with the connection every now and then, but lack of skill is also a MAJOR factor. Most people I know that whine about dying all the time on FPS games just plain suck at the game.

It's not a Microsoft conspiracy.

Also, I would think that has something to do with connection speeds as well as the servers. I have a high-speed connection if someone else has a poor connection they usually get owned.

Do I care? No. I got owned alot too on games. It's part of playing online. Big deal.

Let's just ban everyone with bad connection

Or ban everyone that does not know how to play FPS games and use latency as an excuse for poor gaming skill.

FromHell440
03-23-2008, 03:44 PM
It looks like they are tired of this "petition" over on the other boards as well. Here is what one guy had to say about it:

Actually no, I have a poor internet connection which doesn't allow me to host. In any event, you shouldn't have to bump your own topic over and over. If it is a good thread, then people will actually keep it going.

I know the problem exists, but honestly, out of the 6 Million+ members on XBL, do you think 967+ signatures are going to change anything? No. Get real. The only way that Microsoft will change this is if people stop paying for the service, which just won't happen, ever.

If you are so displeased with the service, then you should actually stop paying, not waste our time by bumping a thread about a petition that doesn't even represent 1% of XBL members.

..and..

Actually its exactly this kind of attitude that lets me care about things that really matter in life, not a video game. It's ok though, you can call me dumb and apathetic while I'm just being a realist.

It's a video game and from what I can tell, the majority of people (including myself) are fine with how XBL runs their business.

I'd love to stay and chat now, but I have to catch a train back to the land of 'I don't care enough to participate in an online survey that will probably get shredded by an intern at Microsoft.'

I really think that most of these people signing this(which isn't that many in comparison to what 10 million on Live?) are just the noobs that don't know how to play COD4 for ****.

Reclaimer
03-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Well this petition is not a reasonable request.

Why? Because you're asking every company that makes a game to host it. That's low end of the totem pole action. You may also be thinking well Microsoft can host every game that comes out forever.

It's not going to work. It's not a reasonable business model when you have games selling a million copies and have incredible popularity.
How much hardware do you think will be needed to host every game of COD4 or Halo 3 or the next biggest thing?

So you want people like Bungie, Ubi or Activison to cough up the dough to create an infrastructure because you don't like lag in your games.
Guess what.. lets just say this happens in the perfect world, your petition follows through.
Who absorbs the cost of the company purchasing, operating and maintaining that hardware?
We do. That 60 dollar game could end up being 80 bucks or more.
So then less people will buy their products because of the price.

Lets say Microsoft does it. That means they either pass the costs down to the 3rd party support and then to us or they bump the costs of Live up to absorb the costs.

None of this is acceptable to me.

You know what would be the best option?
Using the game to limit the amount of people you can host due to your bandwidth or using a option to limit connection speeds. That's the easiest way to do things.

I believe this petition is pretty much crap.

mattgame
03-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Lag/latency will always be a problem with online gaming whether its a console or a PC. That will NEVER change. You are always going to have someone in a room with an unstable connection that will affect the gameplay of everyone else. These petitions just crack me up, and I find them completely useless and unecessary.

Nuff said.:cheers:

Variation-XBA
03-24-2008, 02:54 AM
lol thinking petitions actually do something

Ainokeatoo
03-24-2008, 03:50 AM
This is funny, petitions can just pop up out of nowhere, hey, can I petition fanboys for being so onesidedly stupid?

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
03-24-2008, 11:44 AM
These people must suck at Call of Duty 4. Sure you have problems with the connection every now and then, but lack of skill is also a MAJOR factor. Most people I know that whine about dying all the time on FPS games just plain suck at the game.

It's not a Microsoft conspiracy.

Also, I would think that has something to do with connection speeds as well as the servers. I have a high-speed connection if someone else has a poor connection they usually get owned.

Do I care? No. I got owned alot too on games. It's part of playing online. Big deal.

Or ban everyone that does not know how to play FPS games and use latency as an excuse for poor gaming skill.

LMFAO!!! :rofl::rofl:

LOL i like how you said you suck...!! lol but yeah your right... like microsoft cares or gives a F**k... every game has a disclamer online... expirience may cahnge due to online... hello!! read the messages on games... Hell I read this a while back and said im gonna leave it alone... if he's too stupid to realize his cause is a lost one... then he's not that smart... so he's not gonna understand us either... too many big words lol <~jerk screw it...

FromHell440
03-26-2008, 10:08 AM
hello!! read the messages on games

Ha ha ha! :rofl:

That's like me making an entire petition up just because in some games it starts bumping me from spot to spot(which rarely occurs. Maybe once in every 40 games?). Hell, one time when I was playing CoD4 a guy "disappeared in front of me and reappeared behind me!" I mean some real Houdini ****!

I was like "Oh **** he's a magician!" then I turned around and shot him with my shotgun. No big deal; I sure didn't make a petition over that crap.

Why not? Because FromHell440 has skillz(That's right I spelled it with a z) and that 'Tango' ended up dying anyway! :cool: