PDA

View Full Version : Controller LEDs

wicked_d365
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I want to make my guide buttons Blue, and backlight the a x y b buttons. Any help, beside Ebay and Youtube, I think I can do it, but I don't want to chance it.

SpaceGhost2K
05-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Not a lot of room to work with in there. I killed an original Xbox controller trying it myself. I would just find a kit online and not try and "figure it out" on your own. Pay a couple bucks for someone who already figured it out for you.

I'm not saying don't DO it yourself, just don't figure out HOW to do it yourself.

$oul [A]$$A$$IN
05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Not a lot of room to work with in there. I killed an original Xbox controller trying it myself. I would just find a kit online and not try and "figure it out" on your own. Pay a couple bucks for someone who already figured it out for you.

I'm not saying don't DO it yourself, just don't figure out HOW to do it yourself.

what he said, get a kit if u do not want 2 do it urself

wicked_d365
05-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Not a lot of room to work with in there. I killed an original Xbox controller trying it myself.

Thats what I'm afraid of doing. I've wathed a couple of vids on youtube, dosen't look to complicated. I think I'm just gonna buy a used one at gamestop or something and try it then, if it works, swap the boards to my elite ones.

SpaceGhost2K
05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Thats what I'm afraid of doing. I've wathed a couple of vids on youtube, dosen't look to complicated. I think I'm just gonna buy a used one at gamestop or something and try it then, if it works, swap the boards to my elite ones.

You can buy a new one cheaper on eBay than you can get one used at Gamestop.

gameking28
05-09-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm actually going to do the same thing this summer. I'm trying to find a cheap used or RROD 360 to try some casing mods on (so if anyone around here had a dead xbox or a spare one let me know). Lighting up a controller is on my list as well. The kits on eBay are the way to go. There's also guys who offer to do it for you on eBay if you are afraid of killing the controller.

Ry
05-09-2008, 06:34 AM
I want to try a controller mod, I know I'd mess somthing up, So Id have to get someone to do it for me.

wicked_d365
05-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Check this out, dosen't look to hard.
I just bought a controller for 25 bucks w/rechargable batt, and light kit for 18. I think I can do this, I'll post pics when I finish.

JarkMan
05-09-2008, 09:37 AM
ya i was gonna suggest llaama.com very great website to teach u how to case mod and controller mod and they have very detailed instructions and easy to follow pictures

SpaceGhost2K
05-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Just a warning. DO NOT LINK to sites that promote console modding or offer services, parts or accessories to do so. Violating this will can get you banned because it could result in XboxAddict losing its relationship with Xbox.

Ry
05-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Jak...Wicked, Please delete/edit your posts...

wicked_d365
05-09-2008, 03:32 PM
sorry, my bad, forgot
:huh:

Ry
05-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Wicked, did you get the controller off ebay?

wicked_d365
05-09-2008, 04:02 PM
yeah, stumbled upon one of the few with a recharge pack. Total I have invested in it, about 45 bucks, I'm gonna paint the new one while I'm at it. I'm thinking peral green, like my R/C Skyline in the pick I just finished

JakofallAces
05-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Jak...Wicked, Please delete/edit your posts...

WHAT DID I DO SHORTY???

Enamelized420
05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I've been thinking of doing this myself, do let us know how it comes out for you wicked... And post up a couple of pics to show off your handy work.

wicked_d365
05-15-2008, 05:34 PM
O.K. Little update, I got everything in today, I'm trying to get a hold of my friend who builds led lights for cops and stuff to help me. He's an electronic wiz when it comes to circitry, use to work wih him at Mazda. I think we're going to tackle it this weekend, I'm waiting till he can help me, plus he's got a soldiering iron I can use. Keep you updated w pics (but not on here, I know the rules)

SpaceGhost2K
05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
O.K. Little update, I got everything in today, I'm trying to get a hold of my friend who builds led lights for cops and stuff to help me. He's an electronic wiz when it comes to circitry, use to work wih him at Mazda. I think we're going to tackle it this weekend, I'm waiting till he can help me, plus he's got a soldiering iron I can use. Keep you updated w pics (but not on here, I know the rules)

Dude, you misunderstand. Do anything to a controller you want to. Pimp the outside of a console all you want to. Just don't talk about modding the BRAIN of a console, or link to any place that sells stuff or services to do that. I think everybody here would be cool with a controller LED walkthrough.

wicked_d365
05-16-2008, 08:03 AM
ok, I thought they didn't like that cause I was told to pull the link sorry, my bad. I did get ahold of my friend, he said he'll prob come over this weekend. Hope so, I'm really stoked about this.

gameking28
05-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Ok, I tried all this tonight and I have some advice. First, if you got the kit from xboxmodstores, the directions get the job done, but they're not the most detailed.
I had to go to Frys and buy a special $35 soldering iron that had a small enough tip to work on the controller.

I attempted 2 things - changing the color of the ROL, and back lighting the guide button.

When I tried to pull the green LEDs off of the circuit board for the ROL, I ended up ripping the first one off completely because the soldering iron couldn't loosen it. I gave up on the ROL after that. It's really easy to rip those suckers off so be careful.

I followed the instructions to the letter for back lighting the guide button but it didn't work. I had to solder so many times that I don't really know where the problem is. It's surprisingly hard to do because it's really involved - I honestly think back lighting the individual buttons is probably easier. The hardest part of this was stripping the + and - wires (they're super thin and I kept cutting them) and cutting the + and - ends of the lights themselves to the right size. You need to bend them all together inside the button (+ with +, - with -) and then solder them together - then attach the super thin wire I just talked about to each. It sounds like it's not that bad but the inside of the guide button is really small and it's very difficult to work in there.
I also found out from a seller on eBay (more on him later) that the resistor you have to attach for back lighting the buttons and guide button runs really hot - if it's against the circuit board it may mess things up down the line. Mine had to be up against the circuit board because there was no place else for it to go. Not a lot of room in there.

My advice is to only try this if you don't mind messing up your controller a bit. Not only did I rip off one of the ROL LEDs, but I also ripped out the larger of the two rumble motors when I tried to remove it (long story involving more really thin wires). This is basically going to be a junk tester controller for me now.

The moral of my story: I have very limited experience with soldering and adding lights into a controller requires some pretty precise work. After 6 hours of work, all I ended up with was $50 spent and a wireless controller that's missing the top left quadrant LED on the ROL and a rumble motor.

I ended up finding a guy on eBay tonight that will do your controller for you for $30 (including an on-off button for the lights) or sell you a new one for $70. And he's 20 miles from my house so I may even get to see him fix my mess. :cool:

wicked_d365
05-27-2008, 02:20 PM
OK, so i attempted to do this over the long weekend. Long story short, I fried the leds by putting to much juice to them. After the painstaking hours of trying to soldering the leds in the guide button, the regular buttons were cake. Drill, submerge led, fill with glue, simple. I get all my wires together, solder on the resistors, feeling good, so I decided to make sure they would work, hooked them up to a car battery, aparentlly leds can't take 12 volts.
I did manage to get all the wires out and put the controller back together and it works ( Yeaaaaaaaah )
So I decided to do a custom controller and matching faceplate, just waiting on stickers. (more on that in the following week)
All-in-all, this is something I do not recomend for anyone without some sort of soldering, moding, and fabrication skills. Oh yeah, patience, lots of it.
Didn't take any pics cause I forgot my mem card at work over the holiday, but I will definetly post pics of the plate and controller.

Sniperman
06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
i have onnly done the ROL mod, changed them to blue, came out pretty nice. ended up giving it to my buddy who failed to do it himself.

i used a 8 dollar iron from radioshack. its tough, they are tiny, but its so much fun to do.

size comparison:
http://led.linear1.org/i/closeup2.jpg

SpaceGhost2K
06-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Just be careful about the mod talk. Controllers are okay, but anything that voids your console warranty is not.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.