PDA

View Full Version : Please help with my new xbox

parsnip1981
06-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Buying an xbox this weekend - a few questions

I have a load of dvd+r and cd+r's with mp3 files as well as divx avis.

Firstly, does the 360 read these type of discs?
Secondly, will i able to copy the mp3s to the hard drive to play through the xbox?
Lastly, I also wish to copy the avi's, but will there be a problem with divx?

I will be buying bioshock, gta IV, halo 3, and mass effect. What other games would you recommend.

Thankyou.

Variation-XBA
06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the wonderful word of Xbox 360!

These are the formats supported:
• WMV
• WMA
• MP3
• MPEG2
• MPEG4-Part 2, Simple Profile, and Advanced Simple Profile

I don't know if it'll read from the disc itself, because I stream everything
FROM my pc, not from a disc.

Secondly, will i able to copy the mp3s to the hard drive to play through the xbox?
Copy no, you can rip real cd's though (Maybe even burned audio discs, but I've never tried). You can stream from any source though be it your pc or mp3 player.

Again, you can stream, but not copy to the HD

I will be buying bioshock, gta IV, halo 3, and mass effect. What other games would you recommend.

Totally depends what genre's you like. Some of my favourites:

Army Of Two
Assassin’s Creed Collector Edition
Blue Dragon
Burnout Paradise
Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Darkness, The
Dead Rising
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Collectors Edition
Eternal Sonata
Gears Of War Collector Edition
Guitar Hero 3
Lego Indiana Jones
Lego Starwars: The Complete Saga
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden 2
Overlord
Rock Band Special Edition
Skate

Hope this has helped :cheers:

JC Elite
06-25-2008, 07:05 PM
First off, I must congratulate you on winning the lottery. Lol.

Secondly, the games you mentioned are all worth owning. I would definately check out Oblivion as it is arguably the best game for the system other than BioShock.

I would also look at Assassin's Creed, Call Of Duty 4 (and COD 2 while you are at it), both the the Condemned games, The Darkness, Forza Motorsport (if you are into racing games), The Orange Box (best deal in gaming), Prey, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, any of the Lego games, and I really dug Viva Pinata.

I am sure there are more, but those are off the top of my head.

parsnip1981
06-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for that, it didn't even occur me to stream. But i suppose i could use the 360 as a media centre. I had only initially thought in ways of games, as I only use my pc for wow, as to play anything else would be too expensive in upgrading.

So I have a wired router, I would need to change to wireless, and buy the 360 wireless adaptor yes?

Ainokeatoo
06-25-2008, 10:10 PM

CD+R possibly, I remember trying a DVD+R and I think it didn't work, not to sure, just try it out when you get it, though I recommend streaming over copying to the hard drive as music disks take up a lot of space, and if you get a 20 Gig hard drive you really don't wanna put songs on it.

I don't think you can copy AVI's to the HD but you can play AVI's on the xbox, as for copying MP3's look at my first answer.

Thankyou.

If you like Driving games :

Forza Motorsport
Burnout Paradise

If you like Shooting games :

CoD4 (Call of Duty 4)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2

If you like Strategy games :

Civilization something something (comes out soon)
Tom Clancy's End War (comes out soon as well)
Halo Wars (coming soon)

If you like RPG's :

Elder Scrolls : Oblivion

There are others but I only play just a few games.

Moparwill
06-26-2008, 03:14 AM
Thanks for that, it didn't even occur me to stream. But i suppose i could use the 360 as a media centre. I had only initially thought in ways of games, as I only use my pc for wow, as to play anything else would be too expensive in upgrading.

So I have a wired router, I would need to change to wireless, and buy the 360 wireless adaptor yes?
As long as your router has multiple ports, and you have enough cable to reach, stay wired. You can more easily link and stream from your computer and no chance of interference, or lag problems when playing online. Welcome to the neighborhood !!

Ainokeatoo
06-26-2008, 07:53 AM
As long as your router has multiple ports, and you have enough cable to reach, stay wired. You can more easily link and stream from your computer and no chance of interference, or lag problems when playing online. Welcome to the neighborhood !!

I would have to disagree, I mean, just because it's wireless doesn't mean you'll run into more lag or interference. I've been running wireless since the later years of the first xbox and I have rarely ever run into lag, I would say, it depends on the router/modem you get and how far away from it your xbox is and make sure that it's not behind to many walls.

Enamelized420
06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
welcome to the Xbox world.. you've definitely got a good idea of what games to pick up and covering a decent sweep of game types. Also since you mentioned you've got a boatload of dvd+r/CD+r/MP3/divix etc and if you plan to put the majority on your 360 I would recommend the Elite w/ the Larger HardDrive, 120Gig, as opposed to just the 20Gig on a regular Pro System...

I've been using wired whenever I use my Xbox but looking to pick up the wireless network adapter and see how it does to eleminate the wire Iv'e got running across the floor and to be useful to play in my room. Look forward to seein gyou around and on XBLive here soon

wicked_d365
06-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Congrats and welcome to the 360 family.
You can rip burnt cd's to the HD, but not mp3's, which sucks, cause majority of my music is on mp3 disk.
No avi's or divix. I watched burned movies in mine all the time, I use to have a dvd burner and a dvr, my two friends. It even clears them up a little.

Good game list, also look into The Orange Box, best bang for your buck, 5 games, 1 disk also, Gears of War, Guitar Hero, Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 and 2, definitely COD4

mattgame
07-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Welcome to manhood young friend. I recommend buying Halo , 2, and 3 so that you will also be a part of history. Then I would get Ninja Gaiden 2. Of course you must have COD4 and then it wouldn't kill you to get Forza 2. Enjoy and welcome!