PDA

View Full Version : Too Human Demo impressions/comments thread

mrmp3
07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
So having torn through the demo once, my overall impressions are very optimistic. I've yet to play the full game, but I'm positive my score will stay at 8.25-8.75.

The RPG elements are awesome. If you enjoyed Champs of Norrath, the Dark Alliance series, D&D Heroes, you'll feel right at home collecting loot. I only collected a new helmet and a new set of boots during the demo for armor. The helmet was sick and would probably look awesome with the complete set, the boots were green and did not go with the red armor at all.

UPDATE: Alright I missed out on a new well the first time through. You use that force push in cyberspace to unlock two arena battles with the third leading to an obelisk. All of them unlock super sweet goodies. There's also a third arena battle at the last section where you hit a switch to open it up. I'm liking all these hidden goodies, something Champs and Dark Alliance were missing. More so taking it out of the Diablo II playbook.

Few things I noticed while playing. Most RPG's don't allow you to attack in town and Too Human follows suit. But what is nice is that your character WALKS right before a cutscene is going to occur (UPDATE: OK wrong. Doesn't happen all the time). Considering how many were in the demo and I know how many are going to be in the final game, I must say having a heads up so you can pause your game in case you need to take a leak right before a long cutscene is a plus.

The graphics are a mixed bag. Nothing looks outright horrible. The environments are elaborate, impressive, and detailed. Easily the best looking aspect of the game. The characters are good though not amazing. They have the Unreal influence on them and when comparing to Gears or UTIII, its like those character models except skinnier and with far less texture maps. The detail isn't really there or noticeable. The most detailed thing was probably Baldur's head in the cutscenes. That being said I would character models from average to good. As for animations...well its lacking a little bit. Baldur generally swings his blade/hammer/staff flawlessly, but the enemies reaction sometimes isn't that great. Say your playing an MMO and there's a slider to turn down other player's combat detail down (i.e. other characters in the world will use less frames of animation when in combat to not bog your system down). That's kind of what the enemy reactions remind me of at times. (UPDATE: After playing a second time through, I realize the enemy reactions are a start for this genre. Most games of this type just have the enemy freeze briefly and either A) flash a color (such as white or yellow) to show you've done damage or B) show a number of what damage they took or both. So this is honestly the first game to have any reaction that I've played (other than knockdown skills where an enemy falls down but that's generally generic. With all that being said, I appreciate seeing some reaction. The other animation I didn't express appreciation for was how Baldur looks when he's lunging at an enemy and swinging his weapons. That initial attack looks like he's really laying into the enemy.)

However, combat is still very satisfying and definitely complex. You have your standard basic combo, advanced combo, burst attack (?), runer, and skills. Now I didn't really figure out the runers other than if you fill your combo meter it uses one meter to use one. Enemies seem to go off in a fire ruin when I used it. It was an area of effect attack knocking people in the air. There is more to it cause at times the enemies got killed quicker and glowed...almost want to say they caught on fire but not sure. (UPDATE: it was something in my weapon slot that I had which had a chance of setting them a blaze) As for the others, basic combo is essentially holding the stick at the enemy you want to attack. Baldur will slash away continually NO NEED TO KEEP FLICKING THE STICK! Advanced combo is flicking both the left stick and right stick at an enemy at the same time. I figured if you went from a dash and just continued to hold down both sticks Baldur would do it. Not the case, you have to press both sticks AGAIN in the direction of the enemy. What's cool is they were different between the starting sword, the broad sword, and the hammer, very diverse and cool. There was a midair one and one for the ground for each weapon (though if I'm not mistaken the midair and the ground one for the starting weapon was the same) (UPDATE: Ok its not different for midair and ground but its different when using a small sword, two handed sword, hammer, staff, etc. etc.) The burst attack (can't remember the name of it) is a knock down attack performed at a distance using both sticks again but Baldur shoots this blue burst out from his sword. It goes in a straight line knocking everyone down in its line. It didn't seem to do a ton of damage but it knocked everyone down. (UPDATE: seemed to kill a lot more in the arena battles once I got the flame sword)

Also, stabbing the goblin in the head is somewhat interactive. You have to balance your self by steering left and right on the joystick. Takes maybe a second or two and then you do your attack. The second one I faced was quite fun because I didn't realize you have to knock the chest plate off before you attempt that maneuver. You can also kill the goblin without the maneuver, but it takes a long while to put one down. (UPDATE: Sometimes it just flat out doesn't work. I had a couple times where my guy would just stay leaned to one side and I'd be tossed off.)

The concept of the story is extremely intriguing and so far there are no terrible voice actors, but some of the mouths do not sync that great. They'll move with the dialogue, but sometimes their lips contort differently. Also, some of the characters seem to have less detailed mouths than others. When you first meet the Nord (UPDATE: not Nord...I just forgot what they are called but its NOT nord), you'll notice the old lady's long hair looks something out of the PS2 era while the quietest one (the one who isn't hitting on Baldur) has almost lifelike lips and facial features. Baldur's brother also seems to have a jaw that juts out too far as do a lot of the other characters. Irregardless, they are minor quips but what I saw intrigued me.

The framerate runs at (from my best guess) a sub 30FPS. It never dips too low, but its never blazing fast. The menus are the slowest part to be honest, which is unfortunate considering you'll be spending a lot of time looking at your loot. The game never chugged except at the very beginning when Baldur transitions from the snow to indoors (it wasn't in battle so it didn't matter anyways).

The RPG elements are cool too because their are crafting recipes for armor and weapons which are apparently really kick ass. Some may have already known about these but I did not. You can't craft any of these in the demo, but its cool knowing on top of all the sweet loot you'll be collecting and missions your completing, there will be other things to work towards as well. (UPDATE: I did the arena battles and got some recipes, crafted some shoulder armor. I guess you don't need to go to the store to do this.)

The combat was fun and the dashing aspect looks a lot cooler in motion in realtime, not in videos. I thought I wouldn't dig it at all, but I enjoyed all of it a lot. That being said, the low amount of animation frames for enemy reactions (like I mentioned earlier) really bums me out. The fact the game seems to be running on UE 3.0 (lite), can only have two characters on screen, and chugs at a sub-par 30 FPS make me believe 4 character online play would have been unplayable. It wasn't their choice, it was just technically impossible.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, I think this game will be a lot of fun. I'm real excited its a trilogy and with the possibilities of 4 player online, better framerate, and better graphics (trust me they'll make'em a lot better, they had to scrap the game half way through, imagine what they can do with more time) the sequel could turn out to be really awesome. However, that's looking ahead. The RPG elements are truly awesome, but the combat is only fairly good. Compared to Ninja Gaiden or DMC, it isn't up to those standards...yet...but that doesn't make it bad. This is a good direction for the hack-n'-slash RPG. An actual story, intricate loot system, and a more involved combat system make this STILL a must have title. So I'll give the demo an 8.5/10

(little side note you can only play as the Champion class, and I only got enough EXP to get down three circles on the middle tier on the skill sheet. No multiplayer either)

(UPDATE: Alright so considering how much was hidden in the demo, I think I'm gonna have fun playing through this a few times through if there's this much throughout the game. And also sorry for the errors on the first initial impressions)

mattgame
07-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Excellent review! I'm going to download it right now.

JC Elite
07-14-2008, 09:44 PM
yea me too. I have been interested in this game for a long time. It's only been in development for like 10 yrs. Lol.

Excellent review, by the way.

Enamelized420
07-15-2008, 12:11 AM
very nice review.. I was coming on to put up that it was availabl and happened to see your post. Hoping to take it for a spin in the morning...

ChessPieceFace
07-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Downloading it myself with the promise of Co-OP it might be good

cin84_12
07-16-2008, 12:28 AM
The game is not what I expected and that's a good thing. It's a possible buy though the camera is a bit wonky.

y2kash_14
07-16-2008, 02:50 AM
One of the few gripes I have with the demo is that it gives you the most powerful weapon very early in the game. This gives you less incentive to try out other weapons. But this is only a problem I have with the demo, not the game itself. Using a glitch I found in another forum, I was able to try out the defender and commando classes. They play very similar to the champion, which worries me a little. Another huge thing for me is the fact only 2 players can play at a time. With a game such as this, it would have been so much more fun with at least 4 players. With 5 different classes, I assumed 4 player coop would be an obvious choice. This alone made this game a "must buy" turn into a "wait and see" for me.

mattgame
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Interesting but maybe not for me. I don't have the time to put into a game like this. Looks real good though.

Variation-XBA
07-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Played through this a few times now. I'm absolutely stoked for this title now that the demo has come.

The classes are going to mesh really well together, and the loot system is AWESOME

Ninja Scroll
07-16-2008, 06:43 PM
yea me too. I have been interested in this game for a long time. It's only been in development for like 10 yrs. Lol.

Excellent review, by the way.

Right, wasnt this joint supposed to come out on N64, then GC originally?:huh:

I just downloaded it last night after my b@stard seed Variation gave me a great review via XBL send message of it saying it was merely "awesome". :rolleyes: Man, that was the most indepth review ever.

For real doe, im gonna play this game. I doubt I will get it before a price drop because it is coming out in the Fall when everything else is dropping.

Unreal
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I doubt I will get it before a price drop because it is coming out in the Fall when everything else is dropping.
The game supposedly comes out next month (August). I have it pre-ordered at EB.

Omen28
07-16-2008, 08:17 PM
At first I didn't like it but I played through the demo again and I actually like it. I can't wait for the whole game. I don't think I'll buy it but I will rent it from gamefly.

Ninja Scroll
07-16-2008, 08:50 PM
The game supposedly comes out next month (August). I have it pre-ordered at EB.

Exactly, um,... Soul Calibur VI comes out 07/29/08, then ol boy Madden 1999,... err 2009 rehash comes out early/mid August ... I dunno man,... I got bills to pay and I'm not dropping my cheese on too many games at one time anymore. those days are done for right now. Shoot, I still have to get to Mass Effect I got on launch day for the game and only managed 25gamerpoints on it so far. :bang: That's what im saying, I have to get my moneys worth out the games before blowin bread on a new one I know I will not get into for some time. Maybe it's just me. :confused:

mattgame
07-16-2008, 09:00 PM
No, that's me too. I used to have 20 games at a time but now if it's not good it's gets no love from me.

Variation-XBA
07-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Ninja, get Too Human next month at launch so we can play together on a real game, cause I'm not joining all your BEE MOVIE invites

HaZarD SFD
07-20-2008, 05:59 PM
The game looks really promising. I have played it once already and enjoyed it 90% of the time.. Only really downfall to me is that you cant just jump around on ledges you know you can reach and the camera is a pain sometimes.. The effects and weapons and customization you can do are basically endless and working towards that full suit of the same armour is just awesome once you see what it all looks like together. I love the weapons.. especially when you get to jump on that big arse robot and slam it into his head. RB really is nice to use when your surrounded and the dual pistol lockon is killer. When the enemy is on both sides your shooting both ways.. The sword attacks are a little plain but then again I havent learned all the combat moves yet.

I will definetly wanna play through the game first and build up my gear and the person I use before going on Co-Op..

Variation-XBA
07-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Only really downfall to me is that you cant just jump around on ledges you know you can reach and the camera is a pain sometimes..
Yea, I don't know why it's always like that, but I find if you jump before hitting that invisible wall, you can usually go over, where if you try to jump over while against the ledge, it won't work. Also, for the camera, put it on strategic and I find that keeps me facing the right way most of the time.

The sword attacks are a little plain but then again I havent learned all the combat moves yet.
Once you learn to do it quickly, its amazing. You double tap to pound them in the air 360 around you, then you jump and hold a direction of an eneny to slide to it and attack multiple times. So I usually shoot till they get close, slide into a pack of them, pound a bunch in the air, then slide between a few of them before they even hit the ground.

If you unplug your system from LIVE and set the date ahead, you can pick between two more classes, also, if you spam A between the date tricked ones and the classes that are still locked, you can play them as well, so it's possible to try out all the classes.

Keep in mind the demo is clearly built for the champion class, as 95% of the loot is made for him, but wow are the other classes fun as well.

Ninja Scroll
07-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Ninja, get Too Human next month at launch so we can play together on a real game, cause I'm not joining all your BEE MOVIE invites

Okay my last born b@stard son, your running this joke in the ground beyond the depths of hell dude. Get over it and come up with some new shiit.:rolleyes:
The really lame part is im happy to play those games and your joking like it makes me feel or look any different. :confused: I'm still that pimp that runs this joint.
But yo, im not coppin this game right now, I havent even played the demo yet. I'm bout to try to get back into GTAVI.
When Soul CaliburVI comes out we can play that. And we can do the co-op in Gears2 this November. .... yes, after all these years, and back payments on child support, I will spend some quality time with you on XBL! :cheers:

Now in da mean time, go kill yo self! :hardcore:

Clintman
07-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Here's my impression review that I wrote. Note that I didn't know all of the easter eggs in the demo at the time, and this was only 1 play through.

Having never even seen the damning E3 demo of Silicon Knights' latest game Too Human, there were never any biases held against the title for me. I loved Eternal Darkness, which was the last Silicon Knights game I played, so they have a good track record to me. I saw the demo on the market and decided to try for the hell of it, to see what all the negative hype was all about. So here's my first-impressions review type thing on the demo.

The demo starts off with a cinematic rendered in game, which doesn't look very pretty. It almost immediately reminded me of the very first Halo in terms of the ship, dune buggy, crew, etc. The animation is quite sketchy too at this point, with the highlight being a buggy weighing in at at least more than a ton hitting the ground with no repercussions whatsoever, just a stretched snow texture to resemble a 'splat'. And 'splat' is the word I would actually use to describe the experience from there on in.

After some more interactive (as in you can walk straight, no matter which direction you press) mini-cut scenes, you're finally thrown into the action. The action of walking around trying to adjust to the awkward sword control scheme. Playing games recently that use the right analogue stick for camera adjustments, I've become accustomed to the right stick being mostly a camera central stick. Too Human however flips that tradition on it's ear and lets you control the sword with the analogue stick. Which wouldn't be so bad if the camera wasn't already such garbage. The game instead allows you to reset the camera behind your (lame) character however, which is actually even more of an annoyance. First off, it's bad enough to have to tap a shoulder button every second to counter the game's idea of where the camera should be (which is ****), never mind the fact that sometimes you don't want the camera directly behind you.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x82/Pitcard/Pictures2029.jpg
I'm in mid air here, as you can tell from the lack of shadow

So getting past that and some minor bugs (pictured) that can hopefully be attributed to it being a demo, your character finally gets into some combat. The game lets you use the left and right triggers to fire your weapons and lets you use the right stick to control the direction. I thought this was alright, since you can choose which weapon to fire (except even if you fire one, your 'ammo' decreases for both) and it reminded me a bit of something like Smash TV where you just spray where you want to kill. Where it really gets wonky is the sword fighting mechanics. When you start getting into fights and use your sword or hammer, you find your character sliding all around the floor connecting combos with enemies ridiculously far away. Not only does this look stupid, it makes the fighting way too easy. Speaking of way too easy, the game also uses a continuation system where it just respawns you at full health back at a checkpoint, with all damage dealt to enemies still intact. There are no consequences for dying, which makes it less intense for me.

Eventually you come across a mini boss that was too easy, even by SNES standards. You jump to dodge his hammer waves, then you shoot/slash him to your hearts content. Rinse and repeat for the 'real' boss. It's a joke, and makes it completely uninteresting.

All this, coupled with stupid A.I., a lame setting (c'mon, a futuristic place where they refer to beer as 'mead' and say 'Oden damn it'?) and animation issues makes it just not a very spectacular experience. At one point when I was running up a staircase, my dude was leaping at least 6 stairs per step. What is this, PS1? A game like this that's being blasted and that will surely live up to the (de) hype deserves to be delayed and fixed. I know that the developer isn't satisfied with what's shaping up to be the finished product, so why release it in this state. I imagine a lot of people will be renting this to boost their Gamerscore.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x82/Pitcard/th_Pictures2.jpg (http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x82/Pitcard/?action=view&current=Pictures2.flv)
Rocky 7 or amateur hour?

Anyways this was a short review, all done within 20 minutes of playing. There were some things I didn't get to, like the inventory system (which was a bit confusing at first glance), and a few videos of the combat that I couldn't put up. I feel like I gave it my best shot and it just really under delivered, but I don't know what I was expecting from the genre it is. I would still recommend downloading the demo at least to see if you like the game (and to see the sword combat).

P.S. Also, the enemies look like the Hunters from HL2: Episode 2.

P.P.S.

I'm still that pimp that runs this joint.

I really hope that's a joke.

Ninja Scroll
07-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ninja Scroll
I'm still that pimp that runs this joint.

P.P.S.

I really hope that's a joke.

It's not a joke. Do I need to let you know I run this joint with an Iron Fist and ban you for a week or two? :hardcore:

Variation-XBA
07-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I've become accustomed to the right stick being mostly a camera central stick. Too Human however flips that tradition on it's ear and lets you control the sword with the analogue stick. Which wouldn't be so bad if the camera wasn't already such garbage. The game instead allows you to reset the camera behind your (lame) character however, which is actually even more of an annoyance. First off, it's bad enough to have to tap a shoulder button every second to counter the game's idea of where the camera should be (which is ****), never mind the fact that sometimes you don't want the camera directly behind you.

So because every other game does it one way, they should all follow suit? And all you need to do it press Up or Down on the Dpad to change the camera angle/style and I've not had a problem since and I like the 'strategic' cam.

When Soul CaliburVI comes out we can play that. And we can do the co-op in Gears2 this November. .... yes, after all these years, and back payments on child support, I will spend some quality time with you on XBL!

I'm not picking up Soul Calibur, so have fun without me :( And I think you mean 4, not 6 son :rofl:

Clintman
07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
So because every other game does it one way, they should all follow suit? And all you need to do it press Up or Down on the Dpad to change the camera angle/style and I've not had a problem since and I like the 'strategic' cam.

Just because you can change the camera doesn't mean it isn't bad still. I have played it since I wrote that, and I'm starting to get used to it. It still changes from cinematic angle to regular a lot more than I would like though. It is quite tough in the heat of battle to keep adjusting the crazy camera.

I also did not say that it should do what other games do, I'm saying it confused me because it didn't. Is that such a bad thing? And I don't think it's too much to ask from a game like this to have a manually adjustable camera.

These complaints aside, I actually got really into the equipment and skill parts of the game this time through, and I enjoyed it a lot more. It's still not my type of game, but I can see a lot of people really liking it.

azinkidrules
07-27-2008, 08:19 PM
i have played the 'too human' demo..
the lil story that is provided is somewhat okay.. didn't real pay it much mind, simply cuz i wanted to get down to the game play

as far as the game play..
it plays really smooth but i got bored with it simply cuz i just stayed heavy on the right stick.. didn't really see a point of shooting because the gun energy wasn't really all that good... so i just sliced my way thru the demo..
now this is a good i would consider renting, and not buying.
Dont get me wrong it may be a top seller.. but not to me

Variation-XBA
07-28-2008, 01:35 AM
didn't really see a point of shooting because the gun energy wasn't really all that good...

Do the tricks to play the other classes, load up on some good Plasma guns and prepare for carnage

azinkidrules
07-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Do the tricks to play the other classes, load up on some good Plasma guns and prepare for carnage

Sure i'll do that.... just not in a big rush :whistle: