PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band 58 song Marathon.. WTF?

Reclaimer
07-27-2008, 05:53 PM
OK, so my wife on bass guitar, my best friend on lead guitar and myself on drums set out to complete the 58 song marathon. It took a few hours but we did it, pausing the game before the song starts every so often to get drinks, smoke, recuperate and so on.

We did it on the medium difficulty for a reason:
A: my wife doesn't play with us that often so for her benefit and to ensure we make it, we picked medium.

B: Though my friend and I play everything on either hard or expert, the song "Run for the Hills" is my nemesis and I can't beat that song on even hard, so much that it's stopping me from beating the solo tour on drums.

Everything else I can beat on expert in the upper 90%'s and whatnot.

So we beat the marathon in a few hours and get this:
To our dismay, it's only worth 10 achievement points.
58 songs.. hours of playing.. 10 points.

Finishing a city is 10 points and thats somewhere around 20 or so songs.

Playing 8 songs for the Hall of Fame gig is 100 points.
Yes.. 8 songs for 100 points.. 20 songs for 10 points.. 58 songs.. 10 points.

TEN POINTS!

I mean I guess we could go back and do it on hard or expert, but not after I learn to play RFTHs on those settings.. which pisses me off.
I can land Enter Sandman on Expert in the upper 90's. I can land Foreplay in the upper 90's.. just can't seem to keep up with Run for the hills..

It's all technique... I just haven't figured the barrage of triplets yet, or mastered rapid rolling the high-hat-snare combo which appears as a steady stream in that song.

Crap.. 10 points.

EDIT:
And no I won't switch to another instrument to get past that Iron Maiden song. It's a matter of purpose now. I set out to play drums, I can play drums in real life.. (not in an awesome manner, but convincingly enough) so therefore I will master that God damn song.

Slowride
07-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Maybe you weren't doin it right.....

Fargoth
07-28-2008, 12:39 AM
OK, so my wife on bass guitar, my best friend on lead guitar and myself on drums set out to complete the 58 song marathon. It took a few hours but we did it, pausing the game before the song starts every so often to get drinks, smoke, recuperate and so on.

We did it on the medium difficulty for a reason:
A: my wife doesn't play with us that often so for her benefit and to ensure we make it, we picked medium.

B: Though my friend and I play everything on either hard or expert, the song "Run for the Hills" is my nemesis and I can't beat that song on even hard, so much that it's stopping me from beating the solo tour on drums.

Everything else I can beat on expert in the upper 90%'s and whatnot.

So we beat the marathon in a few hours and get this:
To our dismay, it's only worth 10 achievement points.
58 songs.. hours of playing.. 10 points.

Finishing a city is 10 points and thats somewhere around 20 or so songs.

Playing 8 songs for the Hall of Fame gig is 100 points.
Yes.. 8 songs for 100 points.. 20 songs for 10 points.. 58 songs.. 10 points.

TEN POINTS!

I mean I guess we could go back and do it on hard or expert, but not after I learn to play RFTHs on those settings.. which pisses me off.
I can land Enter Sandman on Expert in the upper 90's. I can land Foreplay in the upper 90's.. just can't seem to keep up with Run for the hills..

It's all technique... I just haven't figured the barrage of triplets yet, or mastered rapid rolling the high-hat-snare combo which appears as a steady stream in that song.

Crap.. 10 points.

EDIT:
And no I won't switch to another instrument to get past that Iron Maiden song. It's a matter of purpose now. I set out to play drums, I can play drums in real life.. (not in an awesome manner, but convincingly enough) so therefore I will master that God damn song.

Holy **** man

Unreal
07-28-2008, 12:41 AM
I have yet to try drums. I refuse to get off of guitar till I can beat GGaHT on expert. 91% to 93% and fail every time on the stupid zig zag notes. :mad:

Variation-XBA
07-28-2008, 01:34 AM
It may only be 10 points, but keep in mind, when you play online now, your name will have a special Silver or whatever icon beside it showing you've completed it. I wish I could get buddies to come over and do that achievement :(

Reclaimer
07-28-2008, 01:47 AM
It may only be 10 points, but keep in mind, when you play online now, your name will have a special Silver or whatever icon beside it showing you've completed it. I wish I could get buddies to come over and do that achievement :(

Ah, I see. I was wondering what the hell Legendary Status meant. None of us could really figure out what the purpose of that was.

l Maximus l
07-28-2008, 02:20 AM
hahaha, that's crazy...10 points!

I made the mistake in downloading Evile by THRASHER and sometimes have to play that song as the last song of a tiring 4 song random set...lol

It's listed on the bottom of my "Impossible Songs" list... Seriously, it's even difficult on Medium. I mainly play on Hard and sometimes Expert....guitar mainly. I'm only a Medium level drum player at best so far.

I love the fact that you brought up this game...I freakin' love Rock Band. It's a killer drinking game, too...plenty of moments (between songs) to throw down a frosty beverage... :cheers:

Reclaimer
07-28-2008, 03:00 AM
hahaha, that's crazy...10 points!

I made the mistake in downloading Evile by THRASHER and sometimes have to play that song as the last song of a tiring 4 song random set...lol

It's listed on the bottom of my "Impossible Songs" list... Seriously, it's even difficult on Medium. I mainly play on Hard and sometimes Expert....guitar mainly. I'm only a Medium level drum player at best so far.

I love the fact that you brought up this game...I freakin' love Rock Band. It's a killer drinking game, too...plenty of moments (between songs) to throw down a frosty beverage... :cheers:

I love the game too, except that the difficulty tiers are not designed for drums. Mississippi Queen on Expert is by no means a "warm up song." For guitar, yes. Drums.. no.

I cracked my bass drum pedal because of that song.

I'm getting ready to see if I can sing and play drums at the same time. Two characters using the Xbox Live mic as the microphone as I drum along.
I'm sure I'll get by in some songs.. just not sure what to do with the tambourine / cowbell sequences.
I already find myself singing along anyway.. why not?

Except for Sabotage.. I feel like a moron when I "sing" that song.

Fargoth
07-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I love the game too, except that the difficulty tiers are not designed for drums. Mississippi Queen on Expert is by no means a "warm up song." For guitar, yes. Drums.. no.

I'm getting ready to see if I can sing and play drums at the same time. Two characters using the Xbox Live mic as the microphone as I drum along.
I'm sure I'll get by in some songs.. just not sure what to do with the tambourine / cowbell sequences.

You can just make a sound like dut or something for those sequences

jelgiad
07-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I have yet to try drums. I refuse to get off of guitar till I can beat GGaHT on expert. 91% to 93% and fail every time on the stupid zig zag notes. :mad:

I feel your pain there. I've been stuck at the exact same place for months.

Unreal
07-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I feel your pain there. I've been stuck at the exact same place for months.
I doesn't matter how much I practice that part either. I can go into practice. Slow it down and do the whole end part of the song 100%. Speed it back up and fail :crying:

l Maximus l
08-01-2008, 01:48 AM

I sing on Expert to songs that I know and already listen to on my Zune. Rarely do I not get 100% anymore when I sing those songs...like Sex Type Thing by Stone Temple Pilots...I nail it every single time even when playing guitar.

Drums and singing? Now, to me, that would be tough, but, then again, I pretty much blow on drums. Sounds like a great challenge, though.

I have to stand up when I sing...It just doesn't feel right if I'm sitting down, especially on a fast song.

Oh yeah, I love Beastie Boys; however, "singing" it is ridiculous...I sound like a complete tool when I try it...lol

Speaking of "Tool"...how kick ass would they be on Rock Band? :drool:

Reclaimer
08-01-2008, 04:21 AM
I sing on Expert to songs that I know and already listen to on my Zune. Rarely do I not get 100% anymore when I sing those songs...like Sex Type Thing by Stone Temple Pilots...I nail it every single time even when playing guitar.

Drums and singing? Now, to me, that would be tough, but, then again, I pretty much blow on drums. Sounds like a great challenge, though.

I have to stand up when I sing...It just doesn't feel right if I'm sitting down, especially on a fast song.

Oh yeah, I love Beastie Boys; however, "singing" it is ridiculous...I sound like a complete tool when I try it...lol

Tool.. hell yes. That would be great.
I did finally try singing and playing drums using the Xbox Live Mic and my wife's gamertag as a singer and my own gamer tag as the drummer.

Lets just say.. mixed success.
I did crank the vocals to hard because I don't think that's too hard but for drums, I changed back and forth from medium to hard and a couple of times on expert.
Straight forward drums songs, no problems. Buddy Holly, Creep, pretty much all the songs which don't alternate much and just pound right on through.

Songs that require work on the drums made life tough to concentrate back and forth. Combine that with not knowing all the words to some songs, just a pain in the ass. Interesting challenge.
Songs like Vaseline.. Cherub Rock and so on, forget it. I have to think about what I'm doing on the drums.

Variation-XBA
08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Tool.. hell yes. That would be great.

It's not on Rock Band 2, but Guitar Hero World Tour will have some Tool goodness!

"Stinkfist" by Tool
"Lateralus" by Tool
"Schism" by Tool

Reclaimer
08-03-2008, 04:25 AM
We made another band and I was the singer for it. I decided that being the singer sucks. You just stand there like a douchebag and do pretty much something close to nothing. Oh, and occasionally bop the microphone because it becomes a cowbell sometimes.

Theres nothing to do in "big rock endings" except utter some noise or syllable so that your slight contribution can be added.

It's more fun to play guitar or drums. Towards the end of the night I made myself the drummer again and gave up singing. After singing "Wanted Dead or Alive" for the umpteenth time, I had it.

At least with drumming it's an ever improving and learning process. On the game Rock Band, singing is pretty much linear. Theres only so many ways to go about "Creep" or any other song for that matter.

It's good for a kick, it's good when you've been drinking, but to play all night or long term campaign as the singer, you're in hell.

I'll gladly go back to Run To The Hills at 54% on Expert and keep practicing anyday.

Variation-XBA
08-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Rec, I need to play you online, when you sing :)

Reclaimer
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Rec, I need to play you online, when you sing :)

You just want to hear me kill "Sabotage."

Fargoth
08-03-2008, 08:57 PM

Record Please :)

Variation-XBA
08-04-2008, 12:42 PM

I actually do :whistle:

Reclaimer
08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I actually do :whistle:

It's ugly, I'll tell you that. Technically you can talk it out because you are not required to sing the parts. However you become inclined to do the song at the same pitch and tone as the song is actually done.
Which unless you're actually one of the Beastie Boys, it's not possible so all other representations are pretty much murder to the ears.

Thats probably one song and I guess Epic, which makes me feel borderline self conscience / and a total tool..

However, DaniCalifornia? I'll rock that song like it's nobody's business.

It's like that song "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria. It's hella fun to play on drums but it's not so fun to sing because it's sung at inhuman octaves and dropping the octave down to normal pretty much kills the effect of the song.

That's the deal with singing.
You sing because you want to recreate the song. But you can't hit some of the songs because of the range and reach so you drop the song down but then you lose the effect and feel of the song so it turns into a suckfest because you feel like now you're just going through the motions with no feeling.