PDA

View Full Version : Stupid RROD, I avoided you for so long..

Reclaimer
10-06-2008, 07:23 AM
And now I too have joined the exclusive ranks of those who had a 360 die. I was so lucky.. it was a first run, bought it a few weeks after it came out.
Sure I expected it to happen because the drive tray started getting stuck and only a few times I saw the system just completely hang during a game. But all this time it worked perfectly. Then just suddenly (strangely right after the Xbox Live update) it started messing up more and more.

Then last night.. I stuck Rock Band 2 in and it refused to boot. It just hung up during the Xbox load up screen.
I rebooted and got one red light. The "Not enough power" code.

I took my Vision camera and hard drive off and rebooted..
Got the full RROD that time, and every time afterwards.

Went to Wal Mart at 11 PM to snag a new system. Wal Mart here is still closing early in the evening because of problems after the hurricane.

I'm going to try to find an Arcade edition now and slap my hard drive on it. I guess the good news is that I can finally use that HDMI port on my plasma TV when I get it.

frag yo mamma 2
10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
dang that sucks... no warranty eh?

thAshAdyOne
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
my friend's xbox RROD recently...I thought we were done for the most part with having to guess which system will RRoD...guess not.

Reclaimer
10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
dang that sucks... no warranty eh?

No, I checked. It ran out months ago.
Well I bought the arcade edition and slapped my hard drive on it.
Back in business.

Whoopage
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Smart move - and yeah, at least you got the HDMI

SamSmith
10-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I had the RROD... and somehow, it magically fixed itself. I didn't bother acting on the warranty. So far, it's been fine... maybe I'm lucky... I know it'll come back some day :P

gameking28
10-06-2008, 06:14 PM
No, I checked. It ran out months ago.
Well I bought the arcade edition and slapped my hard drive on it.
Back in business.

The warranty period for the RRoD was extended to 3 years - if your console was a first run the warranty for it doesn't run out until late November this year.
Xbox.com will say "out of warranty" - but start going through the repair process online and it should tell you that if you have the RRoD you're covered.

Variation-XBA
10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Did you hook it up with HDMI and Optical yet Rec?

I honestly thought Max made this thread at first glance and was expcting the rant.

Glad you're back in business though.

Even if you bought a launch system, you are covered for 3 years, which runs out next month, so you should get it repaired anyways since it's free.

GamerSince'76
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm glad I have the extended warranty from MS because if you own a 360, you have to expect this. Sad that it's so synonymous with the console.

Reclaimer
10-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Did you hook it up with HDMI and Optical yet Rec?

I honestly thought Max made this thread at first glance and was expcting the rant.

Glad you're back in business though.

Even if you bought a launch system, you are covered for 3 years, which runs out next month, so you should get it repaired anyways since it's free.

Oh yeah, finally was able to run HDMI with optical for the first time.
Well, I've been running optical forever, but now I have the HDMI support.

The strange thing is that with HDMI, all my Rockband 2 calibrations went way off. Same plasma TV, just different connection source.. different lag times.

I guess I'll push to get the old xbox fixed. Hopefully they won't want my hard drive if I send the old 360 in.
That sucks that they tell you that your warranty expired so at first glance you might feel compelled to give up.

Symmetric-XBA
10-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh yeah, finally was able to run HDMI with optical for the first time.
Well, I've been running optical forever, but now I have the HDMI support.

The strange thing is that with HDMI, all my Rockband 2 calibrations went way off. Same plasma TV, just different connection source.. different lag times.

I guess I'll push to get the old xbox fixed. Hopefully they won't want my hard drive if I send the old 360 in.
That sucks that they tell you that your warranty expired so at first glance you might feel compelled to give up.

as someone who has been through 5 coffins no xbox does not need the hdd. in fact they will specifically say for you NOT to ship the hdd to them. I'd def. get it fixed and then resell it on ebay or keep it for a system link option or if you have another display (ie: computer) then away you go w/ that! HDMI transfer rate of the signal is why you experienced the difference.

wicked_d365
10-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Get your old one fixed, sell it for a few bucks. If I had some extra cash, I'd buy it from you. I want to do some stuff that will void warranty to one, but I have a massive estimated light bill to pay. Ike is still f**king me.:cuss:

SpaceGhost2K
10-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I had my fourth Xbox die last night.

Launch console bought new: Red lights, free repair.
Launch console bought used: Video went out, $99
Launch Team console bought used: Red lights, free repair.
Console bought new 1/4/08: Error code 73, one red light in lower right, free repair.

If Target would have given me an option of trading it for a PS3 or a Wii, I probably would have taken them up on it. I still have a 360.

Zeitgeist
10-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Get your old one fixed, sell it for a few bucks. If I had some extra cash, I'd buy it from you. I want to do some stuff that will void warranty to one, but I have a massive estimated light bill to pay. Ike is still f**king me.:cuss:

definitely do this, also DON'T send in your HD! MS specifically states not to send it with your system and if you do, you might get a new one back without all your saves.

Reclaimer
10-08-2008, 04:18 PM
definitely do this, also DON'T send in your HD! MS specifically states not to send it with your system and if you do, you might get a new one back without all your saves.

Oh, I'm keeping my hard drive. It's firmly attached to my arcade edition.
I'll just send that broke ass one in and get it refurbished.
Maybe I'll sell it.. maybe I'll put it in the bed room for ad-hoc network-system link games.

m4oH
10-08-2008, 07:10 PM
sucks man, i just got the reds lights of death for the 3rd time. glad to hear you picked up a new one. if i woulda read your post earlier, i would have suggested the towl fix (search some videos of it up on youtube, as im too lazy to explain how to do it). i gotta wait till i go back home from college though to ship mine back in to ms. someone told me they give you a free elite if your xbox breaks more than two times. hope its true!