PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 2

GamerSince'76
10-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Anyone getting the game?

It's getting good reviews at Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/farcry2

The most common complaint is that the firefights are 5 minutes long and then there is 15 minutes of driving until the next action sequence. I'm kind of on the fence on this game.

Shawn-XBA
10-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm getting it, Amazon just shipped it out today will have it on Friday. It looks awesome, one of my buddies at work has it and he said it is amazing.

GamerSince'76
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm getting it, Amazon just shipped it out today will have it on Friday. It looks awesome, one of my buddies at work has it and he said it is amazing.

I was going to get Spiderman but that bombed so I may get Far Cry 2 instead. The mutant parts of previous games was kind of silly but they could have done something similar in this game and make it work. Apparently the only part of this game that has any resemblance to prior games is the name.

SmartarseV2
10-26-2008, 06:40 PM
I just bought the game today and gave it a run for a couple hours. And this is what I think thus far.

First impressions are a thumbs up. The game looks beautiful and although i've never been to Africa, Far Cry does an excellent job of making you feel like you're there. Taking a look around shows the massive environment and the detail in every step.

Things seem to be very interactive as far as opening doors, grabbing items, un-jamming your weapons (which happens when you pick up a piece of crap used gun, they even look like a bad idea). You can choose to play during any time of day or night by sleeping at a safe house. Trees and grass move the way you'd expect in the wind, walking through them and in explosions (which look sexy).

The game plays like COD as far as the controls go which is nice because I don't have to pause and look up what buttons do which functions or accidentally hit the wrong button and die as a result.

You can make friends by doing some side missions, these friends will help you in battle when you're basically dead, it's only happened to me once so far but it was kinda nice not to die in the shrubs. These friends can also die tring to save you though, in which case they are gone forever (as are most people when they die).

You'll do missions for rough diamonds which serve as money to allow you to buy new weapons and upgrade (correct me if im wrong) weapons as well. Not to mention the scattered brief cases throughout the world that have diamonds in them.

While driving or walking to your next objective there are many different ways to take, you can stay on the road like a good boy, or take the vehicle offroad and smash it up. But what happens if you total your wheels in the middle of nowhere? Pop the hood and fix it of course. Your character pulls out a ratchet and goes to work (sort of like Battlefield 2).

You have total freedom of how you get to your next point of interest, the road sign that points you in the most direct route is red, there are no flashy electronic arrows or any nonsense like that which was nice to see. Its the same with pick-ups. They do somewhat glow so they stand out, but they don't say "ohhh hey! here I am! come get me!" like Gears of War. It's the little things like this that make a difference.

The AI takes a beating, I dropped a few guys with an assult rifle thinking they were down for the count, only to see them slowly crawling away or trying to get up again...in which case I rifled them again. They'll use any weapons/vehicles at their disposal and try to flank (from what i've seen). Apparently the enemies are always in a different location if you were to replay a section. I have not tested this yet.

Healing is pretty cool. You get these fancy needles like Bad Company that you inject into your wrist if you need a fast health refill. Otherwise it regenerates slowly. Life threatening wounds will cause you to bleed to death if you don't hit LB fast enough. You watch as your character pulls out a pair of pliers (possibly a Leatherman) and then pulls bullets out of some rather intense looking holes in your body. Or reset a broken bone.

You can only carry 4 weapons at a time, the machete is always there, one primary, one secondary, and one special (rocket launcher), so it really makes you choose how you want to play your game. Up close and personal or from a distance. You could always take an enemy's weapon but you risk getting a jam at the worst possible time...which i've done countless times already.

It's easy to rhyme off all the good stuff because im still new to the game and it'll take a while to get to know it all, but one thing I did notice is the lack of a prone position (unless i've yet to discover it?) It would have made things that much better while trying to sneak through the grass. But you can slide into cover which is pretty sweet.

I haven't had time to test the online features yet due to internet issues. Anyone who lives in the arctic knows what I mean :(

Sorry if this seems kinda all over the map...im playing as I type it and typing it as I do it hah

GamerSince'76
10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Good review and sums up the game nicely. Last night I was in a boat travelling down a river and the sun was setting. It was an incedable scene. Great scenery combined with a solid FPS.

WillyV2
10-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure.. I have to play through Fable II, as well as a few others. Gears of War is coming out soon, so chances are if I pick this up, it will just collect dust by Christmas.

Omen28
10-27-2008, 11:59 PM
I got it from Gamefly today and it is pretty sick. I love the map editor. I spent at least 3 hours creating 1 map. Maybe that will tell people how extensive the map editor is. There is a few setbacks with the editor, but thats if you make a huge map. I love the multiplayer except the matchmaking, the matchmaking is pretty stupid how its set up but its still worth playing. And as for single-player, I have barely scratched the surface and it is pretty kool. I think its is a very good game so far. I would say a rent though, especially if your low on money.