PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster and Vertical Xbox

Snake Eyez
11-18-2008, 06:12 PM
So I rented a game today and was informed of a new policy. Blockbuster wants all their games played on Xboxes in the horizontal position only. They claim that the vertical position is damaging their disks and that I could be charged the entire price of the game if it is damaged in this manner.

Anyone heard of the policy or of the supposed damage.

Unreal
11-18-2008, 06:31 PM
So I rented a game today and was informed of a new policy. Blockbuster wants all their games played on Xboxes in the horizontal position only. They claim that the vertical position is damaging their disks and that I could be charged the entire price of the game if it is damaged in this manner.

Anyone heard of the policy or of the supposed damage.
I never heard of it. But they are shooting themselves in the foot. Oh how will they enforce this? how will they know if you played it the horizontal position?

Snake Eyez
11-18-2008, 06:36 PM
I never heard of it. But they are shooting themselves in the foot. Oh how will they enforce this? how will they know if you played it the horizontal position?

Their claim is that playing the game in that position places a ring of wear on the disk which damages the disk. Supposedly they are looking at the disks and making a note is damage is present.

CrazyCougar
11-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I have heard that playing the 360 in a vertical position is more prone to damage disks than the horizontal position especially with the solid ring on the disk, but i havent heard that BB policy yet. I rented about 2 weeks ago and I guess it hadnt been put into place yet.

Cant wait to question the guys though if they bring it up and ask them how this is proven to be fact.

Ainokeatoo
11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Nice, though, I would like to comment, I had my 360 verticle for a very long time, both my launch and new consoles. Neither messed up my discs, this is moot point.

Doesn't block buster have those, fix-a-scratch devices in their stores? Why are they complaining?

Moparwill
11-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I can speak first hand on this issue. It is not a company wide policy. It may be a local policy in your area, or district. My local store has had a similar warning for some time, due to several damaged discs. These have been linked to vertical standing 360's by the customers own words.

This is not to say all vertical standing 360's will cause this.

Most people will never encounter a problem with this. However, I'm sure this store is trying to keep as many copies in good condition as possible, so they can get as much revenue out of the rentals as possible. It takes between 4-6 weeks to have a disc replaced if it is marked damaged/defective. Very inconvenient if you only have 1 or 2 copies available to rent of a certain title.

As to the scratch removal machine, none of the stores have them anymore. Though we are not talking about scratches, more like gouges.

Variation-XBA
11-19-2008, 02:04 AM
It's only more PRONE to scratching a disc if the system is bumped or moved while being verticle.

There is absolutely no way they can proove you have your system verticle or horizontal though even if it were to happen.

Snake Eyez
11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I didn't see the posted notice, until the sales person informed me about it. Either way I've never had a problem with scratching disks and for a year my Xbox has been vertical.