PDA

View Full Version : HDTV's

BananaMan
11-29-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm finally looking to invest in a big HDTV. As i'm not familiar with all the technical stuff on these things, i was looking for a little help. I've come to figure that 1080p is the best looking picture, correct? I also have some questions about motion blur, as I played on an lcd at gamestop and the blur was horrible!

I'm looking for a tv from around 800 and under. Preferrably the largest you can buy for that price. Currently I'm looking at a 42" RCA.

Here's the page on it http://tv.rca.com/RCATV/NewTV/Templates/Model.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fen-us%2fmodeldetail%2ehtml%3fMN%3dL42WD250&NRNODEGUID=%7bADCBBDDD-DA63-4D7F-BD42-15DF28635714%7d&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest&MN=L42FHD37#

If someone could check it out and look at all the specs and tell me how it would be for my 360 that'd be sweet! If not reccomend me one in my price range i'd love that too. I'm planning to mostly use it for gaming, as I don't want to really pay for the HD receiver/channels. I'm sure I'd have to buy an HDMI cable to get the best picture for my 360. but inform me on anything I need to know. Thanks!

l Maximus l
11-29-2008, 01:22 AM
The specs are fine - you'll definitely need an HDMI cable to get the most out of the LCD HDTV.

But, here's the thing you need to know (in case you didn't know already): Unless the game disc is formatted for 1080p, you won't get 1080p quality. The 360 is native 720p, which still looks freakin' amazing. The good news is that you'll likely have the LCD for a long time and will be benefited in the future.

BananaMan
11-29-2008, 01:42 AM
Sound sweet, but, I just looked on the back of my 360 and since it's from '06 it doesn't have an HDMI port :/. Should I just use the HD cables that came with it? Or is it worth doing the box trick to get a new 360 with the hdmi port?

Symmetric-XBA
11-29-2008, 02:07 AM
AVS FORUM (http://www.avsforum.com/) this is a WONDERFULL site to determine your next tv purchase.

BananaMan
11-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Symmetric thanks for the link! And maxi thanks for the reply.

It looks like i'm going to upgrade to the new Pro with the HDMI output, and also a larger harddrive. My problem is transfering all my data from my old xbox to my new one. Is there anywhere that I can buy a harddrive kit besides in the elite box? And when I transfer will everything go over, my live membership, all of my arcade games, etc. I don't want to transfer and have to pay for my arcade games again.

Thanks if anyone knows.

Variation-XBA
11-29-2008, 01:12 PM
My problem is transfering all my data from my old xbox to my new one. Is there anywhere that I can buy a harddrive kit besides in the elite box? And when I transfer will everything go over, my live membership, all of my arcade games, etc. I don't want to transfer and have to pay for my arcade games again.

The transfer kit only comes in the 120GB harddrive package sepaerately, it doesn't come with the Elite bundle. You could probably find a transfer cable on ebay from someone that doesn't need it anymore.

Worst case you would lose your game saves, but all your profiles/arcade games/dlc can just be redownloaded again with no problem.

Shawn-XBA
11-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that the 120GB HDD comes with one in the package, of course I bought mine around 6 months ago so I can't quite remember.

I'm biased towards Samsung's, I have a 61in Samsung DLP 1080p which has an amazing picture, and I have a 27in Samsung 720p which looks amazing as well. So I'd recommend this (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LN37A550P3FXZA) set, its a 37in Samsung LCD 1080p.

Ainokeatoo
11-29-2008, 04:31 PM
NO RCA PLEASE NO RCA

I bought a brand new tv from wal-mart at the beginning of the year an RCA T.V. I loved it, for the whole month that it worked. RCA T.V's to me are all crap.

Also I couldn't help you here, I use my computer monitor

19" Widescreen 1440 x 900 720P I love it.

JarkMan
11-29-2008, 05:09 PM
if ur planing on using a this tv for gaming i dont suggest getting and RCA if ur going to get a TV for gaming get either an LG or even better a Viewsonic, Viewsonic have a 5ms response time which is the fastest that is available which is why its used by MLG

JakofallAces
11-29-2008, 05:28 PM
my fav hdtv are pioneer's they cost a **** load they look like gods and if you have one, everyone knows your rich, the best are the Pioneer Elites they are like gods among other tvs
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/productImages/3/5/00000111535-PioneerElitePRO1130HD50inchplasmaHDTV-large.jpeg

Symmetric-XBA
11-29-2008, 06:53 PM
MS offers a free transfer kit from one hdd to another, just call them up, say "hey i'd like a transfer kit" and they will take your name and address down and mail you one for free. it will take a few days to get there though.

Variation-XBA
11-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm with Silent, Samsung is easily the best way to go, but you can't go wrong with a sharp Aquos either. Do NOT get an RCA if you are investing into using it for gaming though

OBL infad3ll
11-29-2008, 08:27 PM
my fav hdtv are pioneer's they cost a **** load they look like gods and if you have one, everyone knows your rich, the best are the Pioneer Elites they are like gods among other tvs
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/productImages/3/5/00000111535-PioneerElitePRO1130HD50inchplasmaHDTV-large.jpeg

YES!!!! if you win the lotery get an ELITE series they are seriously like looking at heaven. my dad bought the 70 inch one and i about pooped my pants when i saw it turned on! but.... of course i cant use it :cry:

other than that, the toshiba REGZA is one amazing screen. definetly recommend it!

JakofallAces
11-29-2008, 11:30 PM
YES!!!! if you win the lotery get an ELITE series they are seriously like looking at heaven. my dad bought the 70 inch one and i about pooped my pants when i saw it turned on! but.... of course i cant use it :cry:

other than that, the toshiba REGZA is one amazing screen. definetly recommend it!
ya i have the same one but its in the attached image and it is attached to the wall with one inch of room between also if i mess up anything with the recieveres and all i am virtually screwed for life

l Maximus l
11-30-2008, 12:10 AM
I have a 55" Hitachi Plasma..I love it. I have it above my fireplace hung on the wall...it's freakin' huge up there!

Symmetric-XBA
11-30-2008, 01:19 AM
the toshiba REGZA is one amazing screen. definetly recommend it!

The regza series is alright. When I worked for Bose we sold Regza tv's however, I wasn't very impressed at all with the picture quality. Sony, Sharp, Samsung (the 3 S's) all share components within their tv's so you may purchase a Sharp or Samsung, but you will have a Sony color processor inside. This works out well b/c you may be able to find a tv that is made by sharp or samsung at a lower price, but provide the same quality picture as a sony tv as well. Also the 3 S's share the same values when it comes to contrast ratio so basing a judgement on those companies is a lot more sound. Example would be that I was in best buy and I saw a sharp and sony lcd on the wall, and both of them said contrast ratio 10,00:1 and in between them was another tv from a generic company and the contrast ratio was (i kid you not) 1,000,000:1 and the picture looked better on the sharp and sony. I can understand you're looking for the biggest you can find for the price you want to pay, however, remember that an important thing to look for is quality over size. You can have a 100" tv, but if it looks like crap, then why buy it? Go for the best quality you can find for your price range instead of largest size. If that means then to cut back on the size of the tv its worth it if it will deliver a better picture quality to you. Quality not size is the most important thing to consider (in my opinion).

LeThAl REMiX
11-30-2008, 01:58 AM
In defense of RCA. My grandfather bought an RCA SDTV in like, 1992 or something its an RCA Colortrak and its STILL going. I use it for my gaming. I'm trying to get an HDTV but work is dumb right now.

Variation-XBA
11-30-2008, 02:19 AM
In defense of RCA. My grandfather bought an RCA SDTV in like, 1992 or something its an RCA Colortrak and its STILL going. I use it for my gaming. I'm trying to get an HDTV but work is dumb right now.

Yea, Tubes are a completely different story though. And plus, back then things were built like trucks and lasted forever. My grandparents still have that TV they had when I was growing up, you know the one, the giant wooden casting with the turn dial on the front :rofl: Suck for gaming on that though back in the day

BananaMan
11-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. As it's my grandfather investing, he thinks RCA is one of the best brands around. He started talking about all these old stores from like the 40's(Montgomery ward) and referred to how he owned one a long time ago.

As he's the one investing in it for our house there's not much I can do except advise him on it from your guys advice. So we'll see what happens!

l Maximus l
11-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. As it's my grandfather investing, he thinks RCA is one of the best brands around. He started talking about all these old stores from like the 40's(Montgomery ward) and referred to how he owned one a long time ago.

As he's the one investing in it for our house there's not much I can do except advise him on it from your guys advice. So we'll see what happens!

Believe me, he'll be just fine with the RCA - in fact, he'll love it even more that it is an RCA, so, I would leave him alone to be honest.

The LCD is just fine....as long as you use the proper cables for maximizing the video quality, you'll be set.

Most of the people here are or have become hardcore HDTV consumers and fans....which is cool, but, for the average joe, they won't notice anything wrong, especially someone who is a grandfather! lol

Know what I mean? I'm stoked for the guy that he's looking seriously into an RCA - he'll love the HDTV anyway but will love it more since he has had great luck with RCA in the past. The brand is fine...there's always going to be something "better" know matter who you ask.

LeThAl REMiX
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Yea, Tubes are a completely different story though. And plus, back then things were built like trucks and lasted forever. My grandparents still have that TV they had when I was growing up, you know the one, the giant wooden casting with the turn dial on the front :rofl: Suck for gaming on that though back in the day

So so true. and I know some people with the old tv's like that haha. i'm looking into a Samsung 32" right now. $600. But if I rob the store.. jk. but anyways after i posted that my tv decided it wants to start croaking on me. picture is starting to get fuzzy :(

Ainokeatoo
12-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Believe me, he'll be just fine with the RCA - in fact, he'll love it even more that it is an RCA, so, I would leave him alone to be honest.

Know what I mean? I'm stoked for the guy that he's looking seriously into an RCA - he'll love the HDTV anyway but will love it more since he has had great luck with RCA in the past. The brand is fine...there's always going to be something "better" know matter who you ask.

RCA is not a good brand at the moment, they aren't as reliable as they were back in the day. My RCA T.V. croaked a month after i bought it brand new. I bought a used Phillips and it is still working eight months longer than the RCA did.

l Maximus l
12-01-2008, 01:30 AM
RCA is not a good brand at the moment, they aren't as reliable as they were back in the day. My RCA T.V. croaked a month after i bought it brand new. I bought a used Phillips and it is still working eight months longer than the RCA did.

Dude...that sucks....

Well, if you think about it, his Grandfather is going to buy an RCA anyway. Old dudes are usually set in their ways!

I would advise the man to purchase an extended warranty just in case.

Bertnell
12-01-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm with Silent, Samsung is easily the best way to go, but you can't go wrong with a sharp Aquos either. Do NOT get an RCA if you are investing into using it for gaming though

Dude I brought a Samsung off the display stand. I had it two years no problems gone buy another one from Walmart. Its the TV that microsofts recommends for the 360 n worth every penny mine is only 720p and i got the elite with hdmi and its awsome.

FlawIe55
12-01-2008, 06:01 PM
I recommend one of the "3 S's" Sony, Sharp, Samsung...in that order. Honestly I would stay away from anything else, except for maybe LG or Hitachi...(I dont know much about those brands tho)

Look for low response time..I have seen a few TV's that have 4ms, but I haven't looked too recently.

plasma is better than LCD as far as motion blur.

one huge thing you want to look out for is "off-axis" viewing problems.
for instance if you look at the tv from a low angle it gets dark...this can happen from a high angle too. Usually its not an issue from the sides, but you should check anyways.

I got a 26" vizio from walmart as a second tv, and it had the high and low issue where it would get dark if you weren't looking at it straight on. I returned it.

Strange thing is that the 32" vizio didn't have that issue.

my main tv is a 37" samsung 1080p, 5ms, 10,000:1 cont rat.
If I could get any tv brand I wanted regardless of cost, it would be Sony or Sharp.

I always get the extended warranty as a dead pixel 3 yrs down the road is a surefire reason that best buy will replace the tv...and guess wat, for wat you paid, you will get something even nicer.
I'm on my second tv from this issue, and my current one has a dead pixel too, so in 3 yrs I'm upgrading for free...again.

BananaMan
12-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply guys. Once again thanks for the advice!

We went in to pick up the RCA, and they were sold out. So after looking around for a while we ended up getting a 42" Philips. 1080p, 5ms response time, 29000:1 contrast ratio. Here's more about the TV: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10376355

So we get home, set everything up and try the xbox out on it(through HDMI) it looks great, and no lag at all on any of my games(including guitar hero and ncaa). Standard definition TV looks good, not great on it. 4 days after the purchase we decided to go ahead and upgrade to HD channels. This is where we were amazed. The picture quality and the vibrant colors are just amazing. I love watching ESPN in HD. However, we only get about 15-20 channels in HD through our provider. And now that I've watched HD channels I can't even watch SD anymore, it looks awful!

So overall my grandfather is satisfied and so am I. I was always skeptical of HDTV's and how much better they really could be. But the difference is real, and for anyone on the fence, it's worth an upgrade without even thinking.

edit// i forgot to ask. it automatically sets it to 1080p widescreen on my xbox through HDMI. But there's also another option for format(i believe?) like RBG or Source and a few others. What is the best setting? Currently it's on RBG.

l Maximus l
12-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Sorry it took so long to reply guys. Once again thanks for the advice!

We went in to pick up the RCA, and they were sold out. So after looking around for a while we ended up getting a 42" Philips. 1080p, 5ms response time, 29000:1 contrast ratio. Here's more about the TV: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10376355

So we get home, set everything up and try the xbox out on it(through HDMI) it looks great, and no lag at all on any of my games(including guitar hero and ncaa). Standard definition TV looks good, not great on it. 4 days after the purchase we decided to go ahead and upgrade to HD channels. This is where we were amazed. The picture quality and the vibrant colors are just amazing. I love watching ESPN in HD. However, we only get about 15-20 channels in HD through our provider. And now that I've watched HD channels I can't even watch SD anymore, it looks awful!

So overall my grandfather is satisfied and so am I. I was always skeptical of HDTV's and how much better they really could be. But the difference is real, and for anyone on the fence, it's worth an upgrade without even thinking.

edit// i forgot to ask. it automatically sets it to 1080p widescreen on my xbox through HDMI. But there's also another option for format(i believe?) like RBG or Source and a few others. What is the best setting? Currently it's on RBG.

RBG? I wonder if that is if you want to adjust your Red, Blue, and Green settings. Those are your primary colors....perhaps it's there so you can adjust the individual colors that effect your video image. If you're satisfied, I would leave it alone.

By the way, I'm happy to see that you guys are happy with the results. Welcome to the HD world!