PDA

View Full Version : Boy kills for halo 3?

Ainokeatoo
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
ELYRIA — Daniel Petric shot his parents -- killing his mother -- because they wouldn't allow him to play the violent video game Halo 3, prosecutors told a judge at the boy's murder trial Monday.

The trial, on charges of murder and attempted murder, opened Monday for Petric, 17, of Brighton Township. He is being tried without a jury before Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge. (Update: The defense presents its case.)

Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty because of Petric's age. In their opening state ments, prosecutors outlined this version of events surrounding the shooting:

In September 2007, Daniel, then 16, had sneaked out of his bedroom window to purchase the game at a store against his father's orders. When he returned home, his parents caught him with the game and took it from him. His father, Mark, a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, put the game in a lockbox in a closet where he also kept a 9mm handgun, according to prosecutors.

About a month later, on Oct. 20, 2007, Daniel used his father's key to open the lockbox and remove the gun and the game. The boy shot his parents, killing his mother and gravely wounding his father. As his father lay wounded, Daniel tried to place the gun in his father's hand.

Daniel fled after his sister and her husband arrived at the house, taking the Halo 3 game with him.

Also on Monday, a tearful Mark Petric testified that his son came up behind him as he sat on the couch and said, "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

Petric, 45, said he "expected a pleasant surprise" and closed his eyes. Then his head went numb. As the blood poured from a bullet wound in his head, he realized his wife, Susan Petric, 43, was lying dead on a nearby loveseat, shot in the head, arms and chest.

Petric said his son shoved the gun into his hand saying, "Hey Dad, here's your gun. Take it."

Mark Petric broke down on the witness stand as he said he believes he survived the shooting only because his daughter and husband arrived at the house to watch an Indians game. He heard his son telling them they couldn't come inside.

"You guys shouldn't come in," Mark Petric recalled his son saying. "Mom and Dad had a big argument."

The couple, Heidi and Andrew Archer, testified they heard a moan - possibly their names being groaned - from inside the house, pushed their way in and found the elder Petric wounded and his wife dead. The elder Petric, through his shattered jaw, managed to say his son had shot him, while Daniel tried to blame his father.

Heidi Archer called 9-1-1 and then realized that Daniel had picked up the handgun that had been lying on the couch. Her husband took the gun from the boy, who gave it up without resistance.

The boy ran out of the house and fled in the family van. He was caught by Wellington police a short time later, the Halo 3 game still on the front seat.

Daniel showed little emotion throughout the trial except when his mother's autopsy photos were flashed on a large screen. He bowed his head and stared at his hands for about 20 minutes while the photos were discussed.

Petric was allowed to visit his son in jail over the past year. He said his son has apologized. "Dad, I'm so sorry for what I did to Mom, to you and to the family," Daniel said, according to his father. "I'm so glad you are alive."

"You're my son," Petric responded. "You're my boy."

He said his wife and their son had a very close relationship.

"He was always her little boy," Petric told the judge.

Heidi Archer said the family has forgiven her brother and want him to come home because the family cannot heal until they are all together.

Daniel's lawyer, James Kersey, gave a short opening statement. He said his client had been under great stress at the time of the shooting because of a snowboarding accident that resulted in a severe staph infection. It left Daniel with such severe spinal damage that the slightest injury could leave him paralyzed.

Daniel was homebound for a year with nothing to do but watch television and play video games, Kersey said. It was during that time that he became fascinated with the Halo series and would play them for hours at friends' houses. His father forbade the games, saying that were too violent and sexually explicit.
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/12/boy_killed_mom_and_shot_dad_ov.html

This is just sad, another incident where gaming is being blamed for family problems. Where do all stand on this? The kid is messed up in the head, oh well.

rezzurekted
12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Im not being a c*nt or anything but why does this sort of sh*t mostly happen in America, This sort of stuff NEVER happens in the UK (as far as cold murder and over video games) this is shocking behaviour and i agree with you totally yet another excuse to blame video game, another thing Halo is the least voilent game as far as FPS's go, Im suprised they never mentioned SOF: payback
:sleeping:

SamSmith
12-17-2008, 04:54 PM
First thing I have to ask is, why in gods name did this derranged little freak have access to a gun in the first place?

Actually, that's the only thing I'll ask for now.

rezzurekted
12-17-2008, 05:00 PM
First thing I have to ask is, why in gods name did this derranged little freak have access to a gun in the first place?

It says that his dad stored Halo in his lock box where he kept his gun and he stole his dads key, For some reason most Americans HAVE to own a gun dont ask me why and for that matter isnt it law that your gun must NOT be loaded and the ammo must be stored elsewhere (must look this up please dont quote me) so this is where he had access to the gun! tbh the kid must have been unstable so its a pretty dumb arse idea to have a gun around a unstable child!
:sleeping:

Ainokeatoo
12-18-2008, 12:43 AM

Nah, he didn't, it was locked up in one of the lock boxes, and his dad had the key, I presume, hiding somewhere, or on his key chain. This is actually one of the first child and gun incidents that i've read where the parents did everything right in terms of gun control.

SamSmith
12-18-2008, 05:36 AM
Nah, he didn't, it was locked up in one of the lock boxes, and his dad had the key, I presume, hiding somewhere, or on his key chain. This is actually one of the first child and gun incidents that i've read where the parents did everything right in terms of gun control.

Someone was killed by a kid with a gun - I can't compliment anybodies gun control with that fact lingering.

pastries r fun
12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
lol halo = sexual explicitly that hilarious. omg kids are amazing one day your teaching them to ride a bike and next their shooting you in the head....just wondering why did the father who was extremely religious HAVE A GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dads an idiot

l Maximus l
12-19-2008, 12:12 AM
They say that children of Pastors are the worst kind for some reason. This kid is a nut job.

CrazyCougar
12-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Having a gun to protect yourself and family is everyone's right regardless of religious beliefs, and in todays society with the messed up minds of folks everyone should own a gun for protective purposes. To argue that he shouldnt have a gun because he is a pastor is ridiculous, and an idiotic statement in itself.

As for the kid. The kid obviously had his priorities screwed up. The game is completely to blame for the incident. Why? It's what caused him to go into this rage. I am not saying the game convinced him shooting was ok. The game could have been a new bike, or maybe an iPod, or a Laptop or something else and would have probably resulted in the same grave situation. Most of the time video games get the bad rap that the content caused them to do something they normally wouldnt do. This case is different as he shot them for a material possession they wouldnt let him have. He did not shoot them because he learned it from the game.

Sorry, but the kid should fry and should be forced to watch others play video games for years to come.

pastries r fun
12-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Having a gun to protect yourself and family is everyone's right regardless of religious beliefs, and in todays society with the messed up minds of folks everyone should own a gun for protective purposes. To argue that he shouldnt have a gun because he is a pastor is ridiculous, and an idiotic statement in itself.

As for the kid. The kid obviously had his priorities screwed up. The game is completely to blame for the incident. Why? It's what caused him to go into this rage. I am not saying the game convinced him shooting was ok. The game could have been a new bike, or maybe an iPod, or a Laptop or something else and would have probably resulted in the same grave situation. Most of the time video games get the bad rap that the content caused them to do something they normally wouldnt do. This case is different as he shot them for a material possession they wouldnt let him have. He did not shoot them because he learned it from the game.

Sorry, but the kid should fry and should be forced to watch others play video games for years to come.

well my bad for interperating the bible in a way which it doesnt promote violence...and it wasnt all the game, were you ever a kid, it was a stressful time for me, compiled with lots of depression and other bad crap, i doubt the game was the cytalyist rather it was the final straw in a way. you should fry jesus christ you have no soul apparently and come on he made a mistake and he is still a kid, how many times did u hate your parents and not wanna do something about it? well he had the means and the anger.

CuartoDePuto
12-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Heard about this the other day, it was pretty big for the father to forgive the kid.

CrazyCougar
12-19-2008, 01:37 PM
well my bad for interperating the bible in a way which it doesnt promote violence...and it wasnt all the game, were you ever a kid, it was a stressful time for me, compiled with lots of depression and other bad crap, i doubt the game was the cytalyist rather it was the final straw in a way. you should fry jesus christ you have no soul apparently and come on he made a mistake and he is still a kid, how many times did u hate your parents and not wanna do something about it? well he had the means and the anger.

You have every right to defend yourself. God wil not expect you to sit and take a bullet from some idiot, but we're not going to get into a religious debate here because this isnt the place for that type of discussion.

The thought of killing my parents or doing something drastic to that effect never once crossed my mind. Did I get mad at my parents? Absolutely. My opinion is that if killing crosses a kids mind in anyway than there is a larger issue at hand. Its the society we live in today and like it or not video games do play an evil part in the thoughts and minds of children in this day and age. His parents did the right thing and forbade him to play the game as it should be. He is the one that went off the deep end and "did something about it". Hence the kid should fry.

BananaMan
12-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Where does it say in the Bible that you should shoot and kill someone? The only thing I've ever seen in the Bible is to turn the other cheek.

That's what amazes me about Christianity is how people write in all these rules and what people think God will allow. Where do you get that God would want you to blow someone else away because it's a justified killing? But hell, you're probably right, the Bible is one of the most violent books I've ever read.

Ainokeatoo
12-19-2008, 07:43 PM

I honestly, with a whole heart, can't rightfully say the game was the entire reason why the kid did this. I say this, because there had to have been another factor in the case that the father isn't aware of, or is but won't say or vice versa with the kid. That or it took him a whole month to run it through his head to kill his parents, and if that's the case then he should be locked up in an insane asylum or put in jail for a very long time. Or, the parents did something, or something happened in the home to work that kid up and mess him up enough, that he would do something like this. Either premeditated or through emotion.

Not that I can't blame the game for this happening, just to much of a difference in time when the kid got it taken away to the incident to take in account that other things may have happened in that time.

Reclaimer
12-19-2008, 08:34 PM
The game was in the safe with the gun which was a huge parental mistake. You do not keep toys or items of a child's interest mixed with dangerous weapons.

He went to the safe to get the game back, the gun was a object of opportunity.

This would have never happened and I can just about be certain of this if the game was not in the safe as the gun.
Argue gun control all you want but that's a pretty fair point right there.

The kid was mad, he went to get the game back in defiance and during his rage and protest he had access to the gun that let him carry out a poorly conceived plan of retribution.

I have two pistols. One for range and target practice, the other for duty use. They're both in a safe that has a digital lock. Only I and my wife know the combo. There is a manual override key and it is hidden. Well hidden.

I would never put a toy that my son likes in the gun safe as punishment.
I would never put something of my son that I know he is interested in, in the safe.. period with the guns.

My son is aware of the safe. He is told to stay clear of the safe. He knows whats in the safe and he knows it is dangerous. He knows I carry a gun sometimes and thats just the way it needs to be. He does not know the combo to the safe and does not know the whereabouts of the override key or if one even exists.

Mental stability issues aside of the son..

This was a very preventable accident.
First.. the son knew how to access the safe. What's the point of the safe if your kids can get in it? Why even have a safe. Most parents with firearms keep the safes to prevent children access.
Parental failure lies with allowing access to the safe. He knew how to find the key, he knew how to access the safe. The kid could operate the weapon or the weapon was in an operable condition allowing for easy discharge.

Second.. the parents put the game, a source of contention in the safe with the gun.

This is a damn shame and makes us responsible parents look bad.

pastries r fun
12-19-2008, 10:40 PM
You have every right to defend yourself. God wil not expect you to sit and take a bullet from some idiot, but we're not going to get into a religious debate here because this isnt the place for that type of discussion.

The thought of killing my parents or doing something drastic to that effect never once crossed my mind. Did I get mad at my parents? Absolutely. My opinion is that if killing crosses a kids mind in anyway than there is a larger issue at hand. Its the society we live in today and like it or not video games do play an evil part in the thoughts and minds of children in this day and age. His parents did the right thing and forbade him to play the game as it should be. He is the one that went off the deep end and "did something about it". Hence the kid should fry.

um... u have a slight point (which i wont acknowledge LOL) but they dont fry people any more they lethally inject them so ya....one false fact MAKES THEM ALL WRONG.. nah jk i dont think u can rightfully say that you never thought about killing someone when they were a kid, hell i have been wanting to kill my roommate for 2 yrs now but do i have a reason beyond the fact that i hate them? NOPE...sadly