PDA

View Full Version : Question to the faceplaters

Fargoth
12-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Why do you collect faceplates? Not trying to be personal or anything just wondering whats your facination in them.

SpaceGhost2K
12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Why do you collect faceplates? Not trying to be personal or anything just wondering whats your facination in them.

I started making them because I was giving something away and did a make your own faceplate contest. I had a couple, but once I started making them for other people, I started collecting them myself.

I like pop art and game art and this is just an interesting way of doing that. I also like the idea of something "cranked out by machines" that is then tweaked by a human touch, with the "crudeness" of painting or sculpting or attaching things that don't belong. I like adding imperfection to perfection, but not in a destructive way - a creative one.

Variation-XBA
12-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I originally started because no one else was doing it other than me and Ranzo at the time.

I enjoyed being able to customize my console with something other than stickers, but found myself wanting to keep them in the packaging instead of using them for some reason and it began.

wicked_d365
12-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I do it because I collect a ton of stuff, and faceplates are different. I like having my Xbox look different all the time. I change plates depending on my mood, or whats popular, or going on at the time. It's funny when a friend comes over and says, "Did you get a new Xbox?" just cause I changed the plate.

I don't do it because of the value, I don't do it because it's cool. I do it because I like it, and having something different, that others don't have and/or can't get.

BTW: Good to see you again Fargoth, where you been hiding?

gameking28
12-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I do it because I went to Zero Hour and they gave me one.
After that the Pokemon effect set in (gotta catch em all)! :rofl:

Honestly these days I'm less about collecting retail plates and more about signed plates and customs. I like faceplates because they're unique - can't get any more unique than a custom plate made just for you.

pastries r fun
12-24-2008, 08:35 PM
there interesting and have such great stories behind them and since they arent from just one place, but from all over the world

Fargoth
12-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your answers I sorta understand now.

BTW: Good to see you again Fargoth, where you been hiding?

Bunkering in my stump waiting for the apocalypse. It didn't come.

gameking28
12-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Bunkering in my stump waiting for the apocalypse. It didn't come.

Don't feel bad, there's always next year! I've got a good feeling about 2012 though - the (Aztec?) calendar ends there and either that's as high as they could count or they know something we don't. :rofl:

hellonearth159
12-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Don't feel bad, there's always next year! I've got a good feeling about 2012 though - the (Aztec?) calendar ends there and either that's as high as they could count or they know something we don't. :rofl:

Oh great!!! So if I hold out, I may never have to pay my credit card debts!!!:cheers:

OBL infad3ll
01-07-2009, 06:52 PM
The best part about about collecting faceplates is that there not an uber mainstream thing that everybody has. and due to their limited numbers and limited collectors alot of "us" know each other (not personally, but you get the point) and its cool being able to tell other people who share hobbie intrests about your newest custom plate or rare plate you got for a steal off ebay. the plates are cool, but i think the best part is the community. this reminds me of those scion cars. scions have a community they call their "cult" and if you have a scion then everybody else who also has a scion has this special bond all due to the fact they have the same car. Xboxaddict, in my oppionion is the faceplate "cult". Everyone here shares this "bond" all because of plastic covers, and it shows. A perfect example is how people stepped up to try and help other members when they encountered some financial troubles or other issues they came upon.
i started collecting faceplates because i thought they where cool and exciting (i mean who here wouldnt be excited to go to school and show people how they have a spaceghost2k plate and show them how he has been featured in OXM? i was) but its the community that i think really pulled me in.

SpaceGhost2K
01-08-2009, 01:43 AM
I just know there has to be at least a half dozen of any plate I want available, because I have to wait for all the big bidders to get theirs before I can get mine. :D

lonewolfie13
01-08-2009, 05:02 AM
I got interested in faceplates just awhile ago when i played last remnant and found the japanese bundle with the last remnant faceplate which is pretty cool and got one off ebay. Since then i have become addicted(and broke!) and i probably have around 25+ plates currently (although alot are on the way in the mail). I just think its pretty cool because no other console really has "official" faceplates, i mean you can mod something for a console face but to have official ones and also really rare ones like the E3 2005 ones and such is exciting and cool for collectors of them because it is not like some gigantic thing that everyone does, there is not like hundreds of thousands of collectors and faceplates. I have been looking for something to collect lately and i have found it, and its not too expensive like i found a set of 5 for like 20-30$ on ebay but i can see them going up in value someday, but im really having fun collecting them to worry about that. :hump:

SpaceGhost2K
01-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I got interested in faceplates just awhile ago when i played last remnant and found the japanese bundle with the last remnant faceplate which is pretty cool and got one off ebay. Since then i have become addicted(and broke!) and i probably have around 25+ plates currently. I just think its pretty cool because no other console really has "official" faceplates, i mean you can mod something for a console face but to have official ones and also really rare ones like the E3 2005 ones and such is exciting and cool for collectors of them because it is not like some gigantic thing that everyone does, there is not like hundreds of thousands of collectors and faceplates. I have been looking for something to collect lately and i have found it, and its not too expensive like i found a set of 5 for like 20-30$ on ebay but i can see them going up in value someday, but im really having fun collecting them to worry about that. :hump:

No other console has really had official collectible accessories of any kind. I mean, you could collect the small number of controllers or something, but those have been really limited. Faceplates are really the first.